Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 PM

Any good news re: COVID-19?

I've been trying to keep my chin up during this COVID-19 crisis, but it gets harder and harder as the news gets grimmer, both in terms of the disease itself and what it's doing to the economy. I know most people survive the virus, although fewer in my age group do. And since I live alone, I have nobody to help out if I do get very ill. There seems no plan in place on the national or international level, and the slow and uncertain response isn't helping bolster my mood.

I tried to think of some good news from this, but all I've got is it doesn't seem to affect children, and it may dampen the stupid anti-vaxx movement. Oh, and most adults who aren't obese and who don't have chronic health issues probably won't get a bad case of it if they do catch the disease.

Anybody else got anything?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Ummm! It keeps visitors at bay. I'm kinda liking that. ()
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

There are countries which seem to have gotten the spread of the disease under control. So existing techniques seem to be working if we implement them.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:01 PM

Working from home may be come even more commonplace, and I may make it permanent.

More schools will ramp-up online learning programs, providing more access to technology to many kids who otherwise would not.

Trump and Pence are being revealed as inept during a national crisis and Trump's o-so-precious numbers will be taking a hit as a result.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Some people can get tested since they have influence rather than symptoms. The fact that, say, Tom Hanks, NBA players ready to play, Justin Trudeau’s wife, the Brazilian PM, Idris Elba (?), etc. are positive but asymptomatic could mean mortality rates are much lower than reported. Fingers crossed.

Perhaps as a result, research will be done leading to new breakthroughs and better medicines. Perhaps more surge capacity will be built into emergency and critical care.

The return of expertise to decisions of all types is welcome.

When you see the large stocks of toilet paper on offer next week at your grocer, you will smile. Most of it will be there for several weeks.

Gas is cheaper, and you still have nowhere to go.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:07 PM

Yes, best news so far:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=891777
Old 03-16-2020, 06:07 PM

I've been worrying about an increasing move away from scientific belief. I don't know if this will reverse that trend or not, but if it does it might bring about unaccountable deliverance from a future existential crisis we'll never know about.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Plus the environment gets a breather. We were just starting to trigger some dangerous tipping points. Not sure if that'll be long lasting though...

Last edited by Fiendish Astronaut; 03-16-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:15 PM

I don't think Tom Hanks and Idris Elba just got the test for shits and giggles. They had a legitimate reason to get tested.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
There are countries which seem to have gotten the spread of the disease under control. So existing techniques seem to be working if we implement them.

There is an article here where Chinese are fleeing Western countries: to go back to China.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/people-...na-11584354274

South Korea seems to have turned a corner too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM

The usual hellish commute in Silicon Valley was a breeze today. But I'll only get to enjoy it for this one day, because my firm just announced that it's closing for three weeks.

I heard there was a glut of lobsters on the market, because American and Canadian companies weren't able to ship to China for their New Years feasting. So live lobsters may be cheap, if you can find a seller open for business.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
The usual hellish commute in Silicon Valley was a breeze today. But I'll only get to enjoy it for this one day, because my firm just announced that it's closing for three weeks.

I heard there was a glut of lobsters on the market, because American and Canadian companies weren't able to ship to China for their New Years feasting. So live lobsters may be cheap, if you can find a seller open for business.
I heard the same thing about oysters (live and processed). The combo trade war and now this means the harvest is stacked-up at the ports with no where to go. They'll only keep for so long.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:48 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
South Korea seems to have turned a corner too.

South Korea just had a nother spike in cases, linked to a church near Seoul.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Irish-developed kit confirms infection in 15 minutes

https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-39046582.html
Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Working from home may be come even more commonplace, and I may make it permanent.

More schools will ramp-up online learning programs, providing more access to technology to many kids who otherwise would not.

Trump and Pence are being revealed as inept during a national crisis and Trump's o-so-precious numbers will be taking a hit as a result.
Well, the first and third points are cheering. That second one, though, is a bit of an issue. My niece's school district is encouraging teachers to teach online, and one issue is that some kids don't have access to wi-fi at home. Yes, there are kids too poor s to have wi-fi. It's not that many, but it's some. And libraries are closing, so that avenue is gone.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:12 PM

There is research into drugs to help fight the virus.

Some protease inhibitors that are already approved for HIV may help with the infection.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ew-coronavirus
Old 03-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Try r/COVID19. Most of the discussion is refreshingly science-based and non-panicky, and there's a fair amount of promising news about treatment options.

Last edited by Fretful Porpentine; 03-16-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Well, the first and third points are cheering. That second one, though, is a bit of an issue. My niece's school district is encouraging teachers to teach online, and one issue is that some kids don't have access to wi-fi at home. Yes, there are kids too poor s to have wi-fi. It's not that many, but it's some. And libraries are closing, so that avenue is gone.
Yeah I hear that. I guess what I was thinking is that during this event, districts are trying to work with providers like Verizon to get internet into homes lacking it ASAP at no cost, and then work our a deal for people to keep it afterward at low cost/ One would think these companies would jump on the chance to get more customers. Same for hardware like laptops and tablets. But it may take some time yet to get these things in place at the individual level, and at scale.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Trump and Pence have always been inept. Do you expect that to make any difference to his base? It will be interesting if, as I expect, it turns out that blue states have far fewer deaths than the red ones. Because Republicans are still into denial and reject science and reject experts. But even if that happens, they will call it fake news since they have their own facts.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM

Amazon is hiring. Not known for the best work conditions but a lot of people are going to be without income for a while:

https://www.mcall.com/business/caree...dii-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM

None of the people I mentioned admit to any symptoms at all. Perhaps they had good reasons to be tested. They certainly had preferential access to tests if they were able to do so in the absence of symptoms. It is not necessarily a bad thing to have “role models” discussing self-isolation.

I mentioned elsewhere that The Economist (Economist.com) has a good review on medical progress from previous coronavirus scares.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM

There is a very good chance, that much like existing cold and flu viruses, warmer, wetter weather(ie Spring) may start to reduce it's transmission rate in the Northern Hemisphere, where the majority of the cases are.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
None of the people I mentioned admit to any symptoms at all. Perhaps they had good reasons to be tested. They certainly had preferential access to tests if they were able to do so in the absence of symptoms.
Perhaps geography is a factor. Most of the people you listed appear to have been tested outside of the United States in countries like Australia, Brazil, and Canada.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:56 PM

I just read that museums are reopening in China and Japan. Mentioned it to my medical wife, who said "Well, of course. People are getting better there as the virus runs its course."

I had no idea. I was afraid that'd be months away! So even if it's months away for Europe and the USofA, there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

So it's not quite the Black Plague!

Last edited by digs; 03-16-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:24 PM

It could be. But in Canada testing has been fairly slow and restricted to symptomatic people. Our town just opened a “testing site” and I still think you need a history of exposure, fever or relevant symptoms. But it is naive to expect prominent people could not be tested if they wanted the test, and I do not know their reasons or the geographic details.

It takes time to get and distribute tests, and it is not wrong to prioritize more urgent cases and discourage well people from going to hospitals just to get a test. Because plenty of people would. That said, I think the data from wider testing would offer some reassurance.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 PM

These really are helping. Thanks so much to all of you!
Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

My brother works in the grocery business (warehouse) and business is booming for them. My boyfriend works at Penske truck leasing and they’re busy too (turning around trucks that are driving more miles than usual).

I might take on a third job and do stocking at my local grocery store if my brother can get me in.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:49 PM

A study out of Italy found 50-75% of cases are asymptomatic. They tested everyone in a town to identify who had it and found most had no symptoms.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/med...C12-P3-S2.4-T1

I hope that is true, because that means even if 100 million people in the US get it, 50-75 million will have no symptoms. Which will spread the disease, but those 2-3% death rates are probably based on people with more serious symptoms. Hopefully the total death rate is a small fraction of 1%.

I'm assuming the death rates being quoted are from people on the sicker end of the spectrum.

Hopefully we may get out of this with only a few hundred thousand deaths in the US, instead of a few million.

I'm not sure what global numbers are, in guessing around 30-50% of the world will be infected as I think that's what is predicted for the US.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-16-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
. . . And since I live alone, I have nobody to help out if I do get very ill. There seems no plan in place on the national or international level, and the slow and uncertain response isn't helping bolster my mood.
You're in Washington? As in, the Dist. of Colum.?

Your own home-town rag, WaPo, has this article today (March 16):

Neighborhood groups across the Washington area are forming militias of caring and help, Petula Dvorak, Washington Post, March 16, 2020.

Quote:
They’re at the ready, dividing their territories into quadrants, building spreadsheets to assist their maneuvers, and mustering to their aid stations to distribute rations and supplies.

Across the Washington area, small neighborhood militias are forming — militias of kindness, assistance and caring.

We may be worried about the character of America’s top leadership in this coronavirus crisis. But we don’t have to worry about Americans.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah I hear that. I guess what I was thinking is that during this event, districts are trying to work with providers like Verizon to get internet into homes lacking it ASAP at no cost, and then work our a deal for people to keep it afterward at low cost/ One would think these companies would jump on the chance to get more customers. Same for hardware like laptops and tablets. But it may take some time yet to get these things in place at the individual level, and at scale.
Our local school district is using the school buses to deliver food to students who rely on school meals. The plan is to deliver two meals to each such student.

And for those without internet the buses will deliver written assignments as well as a cellular-based internet modem.

If nothing else this epidemic is making the community more aware of how important the schools are in providing more than just an education.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:50 PM

Only day one of our semi-quarantine in Los Angeles. (SO BORED ALREADY!) But, at least gas stations are open! Ralphs! Drive-thrus!

And today after my work shift from home ended, what did I do for fun? I went for a drive! Sounds so funny to me. No one ever goes for a drive for no reason nowadays. It was poring rain. I didn't care.

When we start going back to work in offices and going to bars again, we'll have tons of actual green-colored foliage with all this rain!

Last edited by Locrian; 03-16-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:15 PM

I think I'm going to buy a soymilk machine and start making soymilk again.

~VOW
Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 PM

Tomorrow, I shall make yogurt.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I don't think Tom Hanks and Idris Elba just got the test for shits and giggles. They had a legitimate reason to get tested.
Just for clarification-apparently Tom Hanks had symptoms, with low-grade fever and muscle aches. I don't know if he had known exposure, which might be enough to qualify for testing in the US. Idris Elba had no symptoms so did not qualify for testing in the US despite having a known exposure.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
You're in Washington? As in, the Dist. of Colum.?

Your own home-town rag, WaPo, has this article today (March 16):

Neighborhood groups across the Washington area are forming militias of caring and help, Petula Dvorak, Washington Post, March 16, 2020.
No, I'm in Washington state. Right now I wish I were in DC. I think they have fewer cases, and those "militias of caring" sound great!
Old 03-17-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
A study out of Italy found 50-75% of cases are asymptomatic. They tested everyone in a town to identify who had it and found most had no symptoms.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/med...C12-P3-S2.4-T1

I hope that is true, because that means even if 100 million people in the US get it, 50-75 million will have no symptoms. Which will spread the disease, but those 2-3% death rates are probably based on people with more serious symptoms. Hopefully the total death rate is a small fraction of 1%.

I'm assuming the death rates being quoted are from people on the sicker end of the spectrum.

Hopefully we may get out of this with only a few hundred thousand deaths in the US, instead of a few million.

I'm not sure what global numbers are, in guessing around 30-50% of the world will be infected as I think that's what is predicted for the US.
The experts are saying 60% of the global population will get the virus. I'm guessing people who live in very remote areas and on some islands will be spared. But it's good to know so many people will be asymptomatic.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
......Trump and Pence are being revealed as inept during a national crisis and Trump's o-so-precious numbers will be taking a hit as a result.
Wow, it wasn't until the third reply that this turned to Trump-bashing. You people are slipping!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Wow, it wasn't until the third reply that this turned to Trump-bashing. You people are slipping!
Well, it's just that so many of us didn't want to be the first to say the obvious quiet part out loud.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
Plus the environment gets a breather. We were just starting to trigger some dangerous tipping points. Not sure if that'll be long lasting though...
Yeah, emissions of GHG and other air pollutants are way down in countries that have lockdowns. Unfortunately, this is likely to be shortlived. And the recession is going to hurt the continued adaption of green technologies.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:35 AM

Quote:
The experts are saying 60% of the global population will get the virus. I'm guessing people who live in very remote areas and on some islands will be spared. But it's good to know so many people will be asymptomatic.
Except that apparently they can pass it on even though they don't have symptoms.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Except that apparently they can pass it on even though they don't have symptoms.
Which is why we need a cheap and easy test for anyone with potential exposure, even those who are asymptomatic, and whose exposure was fleeting.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Which is why we need a cheap and easy test for anyone with potential exposure, even those who are asymptomatic, and whose exposure was fleeting.
Yup. And why, in the absence of this, we need to isolate ourselves as much as possible.

I was addressing nelliebly's* comment: "But it's good to know so many people will be asymptomatic."

*Whom I love.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-17-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Which is true, but those rates of 2-3% dying, 10% needing to go to the hospital are hopefully among people who are not only symptomatic, but symptomatic enough to seek treatment.

If the vast majority of patients either have no symptoms or have mild symptoms, then the total death rate and hospitalization rate may be much lower than was expected.

A 3% death rate for 60% of humanity is about 144 million people. But the total death rate will hopefully be a lot lower, maybe even lower than South Korea's 0.6% death rate.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
I've been worrying about an increasing move away from scientific belief...
You mean like this?
Old 03-17-2020, 09:43 AM

I would expect influenza cases to plummet since schools are closed and most people are attempting the social distancing idea.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:17 AM

Could someone please provide a link to the Economist.com article “SARS-CoV-2 and the drugs that might lessen its power”? It’s a great read, much more detailed than much of the paper pap, and offers a considerable amount of hope and direction for current research. Many thanks.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

The televangelist Kenneth Copeland has already cured his followers through the television. We can stop depending on those pesky scientists now, and just contribute to him directly.

Seriously -- why can't we imprison people like this?
Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
Could someone please provide a link to the Economist.com article “SARS-CoV-2 and the drugs that might lessen its power”? It’s a great read, much more detailed than much of the paper pap, and offers a considerable amount of hope and direction for current research. Many thanks.
I don't have a link to that, but one promising drug is camostat mesilate which inhibits the entry of the virus into lung cells in in vitro experiments. Googling did not find anything significant about this other than the initial report that came out in early March.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 PM

I have no statistics for this but it seems...
As a result of AIDS there was more people practicing safe sex, which would help with other sexually transmitted diseases. And the abortion rate dropped, which should be a positive for a lot of people.
We could continue practicing safe practices, such as washing hands.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

On the lighter side of this epidemic, there's coronacoinages. All the new words (mostly portmanteaus) invented about it.