Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Author Balk View Post
I have no statistics for this but it seems...
As a result of AIDS there was more people practicing safe sex, which would help with other sexually transmitted diseases. And the abortion rate dropped, which should be a positive for a lot of people.
We could continue practicing safe practices, such as washing hands.
Yeah, all this hygiene should keep down regular flu, too.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

We'll be having great Cinco de Mayo parties with all that discounted Corona beer we were able to stock up on.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Except that apparently they can pass it on even though they don't have symptoms.

Apparently in Singapore there is an anti-body test that can detect people that have gotten the virus and recovered. That would be awfully useful:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/w...ng-taiwan.html

I know we can’t get away with everything they did in Singapore,but the US is also not a tiny city state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2020, 04:37 PM

And something promising from China:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/japane...officials-say/

Old 03-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

From the Whatcom Transit Authority:
All WTA buses will be Fare Free until further notice.

This applies to Fixed Route and Paratransit buses.

By not collecting fares on board, and not selling passes, we're able to increase Social Distancing on buses and at pass outlets.
For everyone's health, we ask that you please keep six feet between yourself and the driver, and between yourself and other passengers, whenever possible.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:10 PM

A super computer to the rescue?

https://onezero.medium.com/the-world...s-3e98c4d67459

Old 03-19-2020, 11:48 AM

Those who follow Jerry Coyne, blogger and biology professor at the University of Chicago, know that there's a flock of ducks on campus that he routinely feeds and posts pictures of, including a special duck that he named Honey. The campus is likely to be completely shut down soon, with everyone other than essential staff banned.

But they've given him special permission to feed the ducks.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:10 PM

This Wired article (apparently not paywalled) says George R. R. Martin is finding the time and the isolation needed to sit down and continue to write Winds of Winter, the final book of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Winds of Winter, the final book of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Sorry to dash a good news thread, but it's the penultimate volume. The final book is A Dream of Spring, due out in true post-apocalyptic fashion in the year 20XX.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 PM

IF true.....

https://apple.news/Avy7bhYtnQEG-rxKmZC4i8w

Old 03-19-2020, 09:44 PM

The past three evenings have been lovely, in my little Georgia town - cool, breezy, beautiful sunsets. It's weird to do my evening run through a ghost town; shops and restaurants closed, very few cars on the street (and an awful lot of those driving very slowly, as if part of a funeral procession).

On the other hand, I've seen an unusually high number of people out walking with kids or dogs, or standing in the street chatting with neighbors, enjoying the mild spring weather. Tonight I was dodging people - maintaining a six-foot distance* - on a street where I almost never see a car, much less a pedestrian. I like seeing people when I run, so I'm enjoying all the extra faces I encounter.

*The pandemic is causing some unexpected social changes. I was on a sidewalk that was less than six feet wide, when I spotted a woman walking a dog toward me. Following the rule that fast yields to slow, I stepped aside into some bushes until she passed. Only after we'd exchanged smiles and moved on did it occur to me that having a man step into bushes and wait for a woman to pass would normally be rather creepy behavior.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 03-19-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Ummm! It keeps visitors at bay. I'm kinda liking that. ()
You made my day, quite possibly, my week 😊.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:35 AM

Stranger on a Train is posting again. Good news in my book!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:33 PM
SDSAB

And George R.R. Martin says he's writing again!: https://people.com/tv/game-of-throne...us-distancing/
Old 03-20-2020, 03:06 PM

Driving around has been pretty delightful lately. There hasn't been this little traffic in the DC area since probably before the Beltway existed.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Home testing is coming!. People can avoid having to search for a testing site or go to a doctor's office, urgent care or ER where they will infect others. Reassuring the worried well ( and finding the asymptomatic carriers) will help dramatically.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Our travel plans have been axed. We’re saving quite a lot of money.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Home testing is coming!. People can avoid having to search for a testing site or go to a doctor's office, urgent care or ER where they will infect others. Reassuring the worried well ( and finding the asymptomatic carriers) will help dramatically.
From your article:
[quote]...the company says it will send the $135 test kit in two days (customers can pay $30 more to receive the kit overnight). The kit comes with a special swab that is long enough to take samples from the back of the nose and throat area, along with instructions for how to seal the swab sample to send it back to the company. People can also provide both spit and sputum samples as backups. "

SOOOO glad I don't work in that lab.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:09 PM

Good news? Stocks are at a discount. Buy 'em while they're cheap.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
My brother works in the grocery business (warehouse) and business is booming for them. My boyfriend works at Penske truck leasing and they’re busy too (turning around trucks that are driving more miles than usual).

I might take on a third job and do stocking at my local grocery store if my brother can get me in.
The grocery store just up the street here had a sign asking for temp workers to help with restocking, so there's definitely a need. I was there today and they had done a pretty decent job of restocking. Even liquid hand soap was plentiful again. No TP and no hand sanitizer, of course.

I'm beginning to believe that may not change for months. I read somewhere that TP manufacturers were already routinely running 24x7 shifts, so there's not much they can do to increase production. I'd like to know where it's all going if no store has any.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Locrian;22201108]From your article:
Quote:
...the company says it will send the $135 test kit in two days (customers can pay $30 more to receive the kit overnight). The kit comes with a special swab that is long enough to take samples from the back of the nose and throat area, along with instructions for how to seal the swab sample to send it back to the company. People can also provide both spit and sputum samples as backups. "

SOOOO glad I don't work in that lab.

That lab is so contagious they have haz-mat suits for the other germs!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:11 AM

A local restaurant chain is converting their dining room, which had been closed to diners, into a supermarket. All the proceeds will be used to fund their free meals program. A good idea, to use their space constructively and to help others to help others in the midst of all this disruption.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM

The good news in my 50,000-population Upper Midwestern city is that a lot of people are now getting tested (we bask in the penumbra of a world-famous diagnostic clinic), and most of them are negative. Only 5 positives so far. So, here at least, there are almost certainly NOT a lot of undetected carriers. (I don’t know to what degree this information might apply to other, similar cities).

That means the major sacrifices we’re all making — for many here, much deeper losses than I’ve faced — will probably have the desired effect, in weeks rather than in months...

...if other factors don’t mess things up, starting with foolishly selfish returning spring breakers.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM

I wish we could tell the Spring Break Idiots that they can't come home. They have to stay in Daytona or wherever for two months, but with the beaches, clubs and bars closed.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Tesla & SpaceX are making both ventilators and N95 masks: Should Have 1000 Ventilators Next Week, + 250,000 N95 Masks For Hospitals Tomorrow. Two other car manufacturers (GM and another which I can't remember) are also making ventilators, but I haven't heard what progress they have had.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
The televangelist Kenneth Copeland has already cured his followers through the television. We can stop depending on those pesky scientists now, and just contribute to him directly.

Seriously -- why can't we imprison people like this?
Thanks for the laugh. I sent the link to a nurse practitioner I know. Maybe Copeland can cure some of her patients.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

I have been mildly amused by pictures of the foods people refuse to buy during a pandemic scare. Empty shelves, but lots of:

- riced pasta
- chocolate hummus
- pizzas with broccoli crusts
- frozen pork parts
Old 03-21-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
Some people can get tested since they have influence rather than symptoms. The fact that, say, Tom Hanks...
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson did have symptoms.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/enter...rus/index.html

Quote:
In a statement posted to Instagram, Hanks said he and his wife were traveling in Australia when they were tested after exhibiting symptoms like tiredness, body aches, chills and "slight fevers."
The symptoms may have been mild, but considering what's going on right now and their age, getting tested was prudent and the fact that there were tests available for them was not at all suspicious because Australia had test kits early and, at least at the time, aplenty.

The Hanks' may not even have had a choice.

Quote:
"Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks' will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires.
I'm confident some wealthy people have gotten unnecessary tests where more deserving, but less wealthy candidates should have gotten it, and I feel a little silly because it seems like I'm personally over-defending Tom Hanks, like he's my hero, or something, but Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson were appropriately tested and there is no evidence it was because of their stature.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Local hospital has developed a test and can get results in hours instead of days.
No confirmed cases in my county, but that's probably due to not a lot of tests.
Viruses can't cross running water (no wait, that is Vampires)

Brian
Old 03-21-2020, 07:05 PM

Viruses can cross running water, but they can't come into port without permission. I'm not sure about garlic.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM

I like Tom Hanks. I have no idea what symptoms he told the doctor he had or why the test was done. It is not necessarily surprising he was admitted given a positive test. There is value to role models taking coronavirus seriously. In any case, I am pleased he is feeling well enough to be discharged and wish him and his family well.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Viruses can't cross running water (no wait, that is Vampires)
Duh, it's 6th graders.

More brocolli pizza crusts for me!
Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 PM

U of M makes a functional ventilator out of an ambu-bag and a few electronic parts that you can order from Digi-Key.
http://www.startribune.com/universit...-19/569000032/
Old 03-21-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
U of M makes a functional ventilator out of an ambu-bag and a few electronic parts that you can order from Digi-Key.
http://www.startribune.com/universit...-19/569000032/
Nice. I've seen this before (speaking of Tom Hanks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry55--J4_VQ
Old 03-21-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Well, the first and third points are cheering. That second one, though, is a bit of an issue. My niece's school district is encouraging teachers to teach online, and one issue is that some kids don't have access to wi-fi at home. Yes, there are kids too poor s to have wi-fi. It's not that many, but it's some. And libraries are closing, so that avenue is gone.
Wifi may become a utility under federal aid programs like electricity and telephone.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 PM

South Korea has provided a road map to contagion control. That should be the best news of all, but we're too wrapped up in our own ego to think South Korea has anything to teach "the best public health system in the world."
Old 03-21-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I just read that museums are reopening in China and Japan. Mentioned it to my medical wife, who said "Well, of course. People are getting better there as the virus runs its course."

I had no idea. I was afraid that'd be months away! So even if it's months away for Europe and the USofA, there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

So it's not quite the Black Plague!
Even the black plague isn't the black plague. If the black plague were to happen today, we would just give everyone anti-biotics and it would be over.

The same thing with this. Once we have a vaccine, it's over. There is a shelf life to this thing.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
South Korea has provided a road map to contagion control. That should be the best news of all, but we're too wrapped up in our own ego to think South Korea has anything to teach "the best public health system in the world."

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2...-test-positive

Just saying.

Outbreaks will continue until we have a vaccine or we achieve herd immunity within a population.

That church in Daegu is probably immune and the safest place to be right now.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 AM

Good news? Our ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) board has loosened rules. California Can Now Sell Cocktails To Go, but Only With Food
Quote:
The ABC eased its rules around alcohol delivery, making it far easier for restaurants to sell beer, wine, and pre-mixed drinks/cocktails for pick-up or delivery throughout the state.
I recently saw a report of a shop selling a roll of toilet paper for $10k - with a free bar of gold included. Will liquor stores go into the food-takeout business? I can imagine a shop selling a $20 order of popcorn with a jug of rotgut attached. Better than contagion, sure.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Once we have a vaccine, it's over.
No. We have a vaccine for the flu--but it is only 50% or so effective.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:45 AM

Good news? Netflix launches $100 million coronavirus relief fund to help jobless cast and crew
Quote:
“The COVID-19 crisis is devastating for many industries, including the creative community. Almost all television and film production has now ceased globally — leaving hundreds of thousands of crew and cast without jobs. These include electricians, carpenters and drivers, many of whom are paid hourly wages and work on a project-to-project basis. This community has supported Netflix through the good times, and we want to help them through these hard times, especially while governments are still figuring out what economic support they will provide.”
Old 03-22-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

A nurse friend of mine forwarded me an email conversation among some other medical professional friends of hers in which they report starting to use a combo of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat COVID-19 patients, and that it seems to be working decently well within a few days. Hallelujah for old generic drugs! She sent me a .pdf of a paper in press for a very small, non-randomized trial. Not ideal, but it's a start.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Some of the best good news I have seen are the infection charts for South Korea and (!)China. Both seem to be on the downside of the pandemic. Conversely, every other country's charts show an upward trend...that is accelerating.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
No. We have a vaccine for the flu--but it is only 50% or so effective.
I don't think coronavirus mutates like the flu.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
The good news in my 50,000-population Upper Midwestern city is that a lot of people are now getting tested (we bask in the penumbra of a world-famous diagnostic clinic), and most of them are negative. Only 5 positives so far. So, here at least, there are almost certainly NOT a lot of undetected carriers. (I don’t know to what degree this information might apply to other, similar cities).

That means the major sacrifices we’re all making — for many here, much deeper losses than I’ve faced — will probably have the desired effect, in weeks rather than in months...

...if other factors don’t mess things up, starting with foolishly selfish returning spring breakers.
Do you have a ballpark figure for what percentage or number of people is 'a lot'?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
I like Tom Hanks. I have no idea what symptoms he told the doctor he had or why the test was done. It is not necessarily surprising he was admitted given a positive test. There is value to role models taking coronavirus seriously. In any case, I am pleased he is feeling well enough to be discharged and wish him and his family well.
Tom Hanks got the test because he'd gotten off a plane in Australia - that's one of the official risk factors - and was sick. So he isn't a case of celebrity entitlement - he qualified for his test under the rules available to everyone

I hear he's getting better
Old 03-23-2020, 12:47 AM

Well, one piece of good news.
Given the current statistic growth rate in New York, we won't need to wait too long to see what effect the disease has on the US as a whole.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 PM

Not sure if I qualify thousands dead as “we will all be fine” but I throw this out there from a Nobel Laureate:

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-lau...210318391.html

Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Not sure if I qualify thousands dead as “we will all be fine” but I throw this out there from a Nobel Laureate:

https://news.yahoo.com/why-nobel-lau...210318391.html

Less dire than other outlooks. I'll take it.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 PM

If you have the satellite Dish Network you can now watch lots of free movies like TCM on channels 318 to 333 and Sony on channel 386 amd Starz (on demand) till April 3rd

I like free movies morning, noon and night