Old 03-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

We need a new series to binge

Okay, we're in the Bay Area and under semi-lockdown until at least the first week of April, and we've run out of things to watch. Usually we pick a series and watch one episode each night with dinner, or record current series on the DVR and watch those, but we're all caught up with our usual current stuff and finished watching the stuff on our backlist. So we need something new.

What we've watched and liked:
Watchmen series
I Am Not Okay With This
Good Omens
Evil
Doctor Who
Westworld (Season 1)
The Outsider
Castle Rock (Season 1)
Constantine
Agents of SHIELD (up until they ended up in space and we lost interest)
The Gifted
The Runaways (Season 1)
Most of the Marvel Netflix series (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist Season 2)
House

What' we've watched and haven't liked:
Westworld (Season 2)
Castle Rock (Season 2 - though we only got a couple episodes in and might give it another chance if it gets better)
Supernatural (though again we only made it a few episodes into season 1 - I'd like to give this another chance)
The Magicians (couldn't make it past the first episode - too dark)
Legion (ugh)
Daredevil (just couldn't get into it. Too many fights in hallways)
Iron Fist Season 1 (ugh)

Some things we're considering:
The Runaways (Season 2)
Avenue 5
Umbrella Academy

I'm probably forgetting a few. In general, we like smart stuff (but not too convoluted - Westworld Season 2 kind of lost and bored us) with a supernatural, psychological horror, or superhero focus. It can be very dark, but can't be completely grim (as in, there has to be some kind of hope or goodness and a bit of humor. I don't think we'd like The Boys, from what I hear of it).

Any suggestions? Bonus points for telling me what you like about your picks. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

A while back I started watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix with my grandson. It didn't take him long to lose interest, but I'm really enjoying it. It's two episodes per book in the series, and stylistically it is very similar to the Jim Carrey movie from about ten years ago. But the format gives them a lot more room to stretch out and do it right. And NPH makes a great Count Olaf.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 03-19-2020, 11:29 AM

You

Man in the high castle

Making a murderer

leftovers
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM

Wentworth is an Australian series, about 7 seasons, that is a better acted and more dramatic Orange is the New Black
It is a great series because it contains one of the greatest TV villians I have ever seen, the Freak.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:58 PM

I'm getting high mileage from Da Vinci's Inquest, a Canadian series that ran from 98 to 05 about a coroner and the police officers he works with in Vancouver.

Little gore and violence and lots of character development and interesting plots, usually dealing with social issues. Very good actors and the stories are told with interesting overlaps and unexpected twists. I think all seven seasons are online. I used to watch it once in a while and found it online not too long ago. It's great for late-night viewing when you don't mind falling asleep. Weak tea or powerful sleep aid? You decide.

Last edited by jerez; 03-19-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Fleabag on Amazon Prime (one and done season).
Longmire on Netflix.
Bosch on Amazon Prime (5 seasons)
Prime Suspect
Case Histories on AP
Black Mirror on Netflix
Old 03-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Stranger Things
American Vandal
The End of the F***ing World
Old 03-19-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Fleabag on Amazon Prime (one and done season).
Fleabag is two and done.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Netflix recently added uncut episodes of "Monty Python's Flying Circus".
Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Might not be quite what you're looking for but Kevin Nealon's youtube channel "Hiking With Kevin" is pretty amusing. Each episode features Kevin hiking and shooting the breeze with a friend. His hiking partners include Dana Carvey, Patton Oswalt, Hillary Swank, and Kristen Bell.

Last edited by blondebear; 03-19-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I just finished The Hunters (Amazon Prime) and really liked it.
You could also take a look at Orphan Black. I thought that show was done amazingly well. I know I didn't finish the entire thing, but I couldn't tell you why. I must have gotten sidetracked and forgotten about it. I certainly didn't stop watching it, at least not on purpose.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:33 PM

I think Season 2 of American Horror Story is one of the greatest TV seasons ever. But I know many who feel differently.

Another recommendation for The Leftovers. All three seasons are amazing.

Every season of The Americans is very intelligent and suspenseful.

Last edited by Sefton; 03-19-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:41 PM

The Almighty Johnsons in an Australia or New Zealand made show (don't recall which), that I really enjoyed. Not sure of its availability.

Last edited by FastDan1; 03-19-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 PM

Stranger Things - 80s nostalgia, great cast
Schitt's Creek - funny, great cast, characters slowly evolve
Give Umbrella Academy a chance. I liked it at first, but I lost interest.
Episodes - funny, great cast

Last edited by Tarataratara; 03-19-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 PM

Travelers was pretty good. It's been cancelled, I guess, but I enjoyed it.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Fleabag is two and done.
Oops.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Catastrophe (Amazon Prime)

Comedic show (not really a sitcom, not a "dramedy") about grownups living in the real world. It's absolutely fantastic; my favorite show I've streamed on any streaming service.

Basic plot is that a single guy travels to England for business, hooks up with a woman he meets in a bar, and then several weeks later (back in America) he gets a call from the one night stand he barely remembers that she's pregnant. They decide to make a go of it, so he moves to England.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:28 PM

I'm surprised you haven't already watched Stranger Things on Netflix, which would seem to be right up your alley.

Black Lightning is on Netflix. It's a CW superhero show, but is separate from Flash/Green Arrow/etc. It's darker and has little of the goofiness of the CW superheroes, but is lighter than the Marvel Netflix shows.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarataratara View Post
Stranger Things - 80s nostalgia, great cast
Schitt's Creek - funny, great cast, characters slowly evolve
Give Umbrella Academy a chance. I liked it at first, but I lost interest.
Episodes - funny, great cast
Another vote for Schitt's Creek. Season 5 (the one that ended with Cabaret) was amazing. However, keep in mind that it's a very specific type of humor (very dry) and if you don't like it after a half season or so, you're not going to like it. Think Christopher Guest type movies, but without the slapstick angle.

Also, don't avoid it just because Chris Elliot is in it, his part is small enough and main cast all have such big personalities, it's not a problem if you don't like him.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM

I think the series "Outlander" is excellent. It's about a woman who is suddenly transported back to the Scotland of 1746. Romance and high adventure ensue. Kilts galore.

The acting, plotting, and dialog is really first class, and the main character is a woman, so you could almost consider this a feminist drama. The first four seasons are on DVD, with each season filling four or five full disks, so there's a lot of binge watching available. I consider the entire series to be fascinating.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 PM

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine makes for great binging. I know for a fact it's available on Amazon Prime and CBS All Access. Not sure about Netflix.

I personally love the animated show Kim Possible. Went through it in a couple months on Disney Plus. (It's four seasons plus a movie and a crossover episode of Lilo & Stitch).
Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 PM

I liked The Strain (surviving a pandemic...of vampires) and The Expanse is pretty popular.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:45 AM

Silent Witness on Amazon Prime. 21 seasons and every episode so far is a two parter (52 minutes each - from BBC). Think something like Forensic Files meets Cold Case.

Bleak like British Isles - weather, scenery, situations. Everyone dies. If you're not looking for happy, this is it. Bad outcomes even when the case/murder/etc... is solved. Like car wrecks - hard to look away. Good mysteries as to the victims/perpetrators.

The lead was a gal who had an overriding story arc about the death of her father (constable) during the unpleasantries. When that was resolved, a new actress and slight change of direction was added. Somewhere around episode 9 or ten. Last few seasons have had a bit more (dark) humor. Lots more postmortem gore and procedures. Some scenery changes to other parts of Europe and to Africa.

Good writing, snappy dialog, more gritty in the cutting room. Nude dead bodies if that offends you - forewarned. Still dark tales about mayhem, assault, human trafficking, immigrants, disease, other current topics.

Maybe too dark for your pleasure.

Last edited by smithsb; 03-20-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

I think you will enjoy:
Locke And Key
Emergence
Lost In Space
His Dark Materials
Pennyworth
The Dark Crystal Age Of Resistance
The InBetween
iZombie
Dead To Me
Old 03-20-2020, 08:20 AM

Last Kingdom on Netflix is one of our favorites and you could binge it just in time for Season 4. I loved the books so I'm biased but it really has great acting , especially by the actor playing King Alfred and many of the Viking characters are fascinating.
Doc Martin on Acorn or Britbox is pleasant and funny
Fleabag is the best thing I've watched in forever
Happy Valley is the best Brit cop show - very dark , the way I like it
1st season of Altered Carbon is good, not sure I like season 2
Mindhunter

If you are considering Umbrella Academy- give it a try. I liked it and I really don't like those kinds of shows (any kind of super power hero show) generally.

Jaime
Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

The headline of the AV Club review of Reprisal was . Plus, it has yours truly in a recurring background role as a Banished Brawler.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:53 PM

Another vote for Catastrophe. Loved it.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Thanks, everybody! I didn't get notified that there were replies, so I just saw these.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 PM

Shetland is pretty good.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
The Expanse is pretty popular.
I've read most of the series (I think I skipped the sixth one), and loved them. When they said they were making a show, I was a little worried. But we're close to the end of the second season, and it's freaking amazing. The attention to gravity and kinetic energy shows up in lovely grace notes like a songbird on a station that flaps its wings less often than a bird in earth gravity would. Beautiful, brilliantly-acted show.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversarmy View Post
Shetland is pretty good.
Ditto- I really liked Shetland, especially after about 3 episodes in. Also, that reminds me on Starz is Dublin Murders which is also very good. I just finished that series of books and they are the best I've ever read in that kind of genre.

Jaime
Old 03-21-2020, 02:56 AM

Black Sails
Rick and Morty
The 100
The Expanse
Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 AM

I'm not going to C&P from Wikipedia. However, I'm going to suggest that you look up what the PBS series Mystery was showing in the 1980s & early 90s. They did British mystery & detective shows before everyone could just rent stuff on video, and there was no longer a market for such a show.

IIRC, The first Prime Suspect series was shown on Mystery, and so were subsequent ones, albeit, the last, or possibly last two, may have been shown as stand-alone series.

Which, BTW, I am seconding ALL the Prime Suspect series. They are each about six episodes, and, again, IIRC, there are five series, at 1 hour per episode.

I believe the Agatha Christie series were part of Mystery back in the 80s as well. Almost everything was very, very good.

Look at the list of what was shown on Mystery, then check them out on IMDb, and see what appeals to you.

I don't know how old you are. I'm assuming you are in the US, so it very likely you have seen long before the Covid-19 shut-down, the show Law & Order (the original series). But if you are young, or not in the US, and for some reason have missed this show, watch it. It's my favorite US drama ever.

If you are in the US, and have not seen the UK version of Law & Order, it's worth watching the UK version. If you are a fan of the US version, and have watched the episodes more than once, you will recognize them in the UK versions, but in many cases the endings have changed, and in a few, the object lesson has changed, because in that specific case, UK values are very different. It's an interesting process. And it keep you on the edge, once you realize that nothing is predictable, just because basic plots were borrowed.

Again, I don't know where you are, or your age, but if you have not seen David Lynch's Twin Peaks, it's a must-watch for anyone who likes suspense with just a little bit of supernatural overtone. It premiered with a 2-hr. TV-movie, so make sure you watch this first. Don't start with what is called "episode one." That is the first 1-hr episode in its regular time slot, and assumes you have seen the 2-hr movie. I watched this just about 18 months ago (and I saw it in its original run). It really holds up.

Also, unless you hate black & white with a passion, as some people irrationally do, in between your series, you might catch up on Alfred Hitchcock movies you have not seen, as well as some of the other classic suspense films you may not have seen. Two excellent ones are Witness for the Prosecution (1957), and Murder on the Orient Express (1974)-- NOT the 2017 version NOT, NOT NOT!

Have fun!
Old 03-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Anyone else like Sneaky Pete? There are three seasons on Amazon Prime, but it was canceled after season three.

From Wikipedia: Sneaky Pete follows "Marius, a con man who gets out of prison only to find himself hunted by the vicious gangster he once robbed. With nowhere else to turn, Marius takes cover from his past by assuming the identity of his cellmate, Pete, and then “reunites” with Pete’s estranged family — who have no reason to suspect he’s not their long-lost loved one."
Old 03-21-2020, 12:13 PM

Adult Swim finally decided that COVID-19 was enough reason to stop being assholes; all 4 seasons of Metalocalypse are now free to stream on their website!

For those unaware, this is an animated show about the greatest death metal band of all time, Dethklok. Dethklok is the 6th or 7th largest economy in the world and they influence nearly all facets of society: commerce, politics, wars, etc. The fact that the members are kinda stupid, ignorant, violent, over-sexed and sometimes drug-and-alcohol fueled is tempered by their razor-shar manager, who ensures that his guys/mealtickets stay on top of their game. Oh, there's a complex conspiracy involving the US government to take them out, even tho there is also a conspiracy involving some of the same US government people to keep Dethklok around… so that some kind of apocalypse can happen. Plus, there's kick-ass metal songs in every episode.

Best. Show. EVER!

This totally fucking rocks!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-21-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
[Referring to Law and Order] ...in a few, the object lesson has changed, because in that specific case, UK values are very different.
I've hardly seen any Law and Orders, not generally my cup of tea, but I would be interested in the detail of these episodes. Do you remember any, or have a link where someone discusses the plot differences?
Old 03-21-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBoPeep View Post
Last Kingdom on Netflix is one of our favorites and you could binge it just in time for Season 4. I loved the books so I'm biased but it really has great acting , especially by the actor playing King Alfred and many of the Viking characters are fascinating.
I'll recommend Vikings, on Amazon Prime, to anyone who enjoys The Last Kingdom.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Adult Swim finally decided that COVID-19 was enough reason to stop being assholes; all 4 seasons of Metalocalypse are now free to stream on their website!

For those unaware, this is an animated show about the greatest death metal band of all time, Dethklok. Dethklok is the 6th or 7th largest economy in the world and they influence nearly all facets of society: commerce, politics, wars, etc. The fact that the members are kinda stupid, ignorant, violent, over-sexed and sometimes drug-and-alcohol fueled is tempered by their razor-shar manager, who ensures that his guys/mealtickets stay on top of their game. Oh, there's a complex conspiracy involving the US government to take them out, even tho there is also a conspiracy involving some of the same US government people to keep Dethklok around… so that some kind of apocalypse can happen. Plus, there's kick-ass metal songs in every episode.

Best. Show. EVER!

This totally fucking rocks!
7000 thumbs up.

And doomstar requiem, a klokopera, the series finale is by far the best 44 minutes you'll ever see on a tv (assuming loves the series to begin with)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Anyone else like Sneaky Pete? There are three seasons on Amazon Prime, but it was canceled after season three.

From Wikipedia: Sneaky Pete follows "Marius, a con man who gets out of prison only to find himself hunted by the vicious gangster he once robbed. With nowhere else to turn, Marius takes cover from his past by assuming the identity of his cellmate, Pete, and then “reunites” with Pete’s estranged family — who have no reason to suspect he’s not their long-lost loved one."
I loved it, very well written and the acting was superb.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:38 AM

Chernobyl
Any of the Michael Schur shows
30 Rock

Last edited by Dale Sams; 03-22-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarataratara View Post
I'll recommend Vikings, on Amazon Prime, to anyone who enjoys The Last Kingdom.
We also liked Vikings a lot until the last 2-3 seasons, it really has gone downhill but it was a great series for a while.

Jaime
Old 03-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Nobody's mentioned "The Witcher" and "Kingdom" which I enjoyed a lot, or "The October Faction" which I hated. I do love Supernatural but not everyone does. "Wynonna Earp" is a hoot.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Altered Carbon.
Black Sails.
Vikings.
Lost in Space (the new one, not the 60's version of course).
-IQ
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 PM

I've been watching some of Michael Palin's various travel shows. The ones from the 90s, particularly "Pole to Pole", are interesting because of the historic changes that took place at the time. Palin happened to travel through the Soviet Union just prior to its collapse.

His most recent was a two-parter in which he went to North Korea. Palin is great to watch, such a good natured man. And so thoughtful. Interesting that he's the same guy I used to only think of as a Python*.

* In one of the travel shows he visited a lumberjack festival in the pacific northwest, and was invited to participate in a few events. His narration included the musing, "I once sang a song about a lumberjack. And today, I'm going to pay for it."

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 03-23-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 AM

Started watching "I'm Not Okay With This" on Netflix, and almost immediately said "Okay, I actually care about these characters..." (hadn't had that happen in a while)

Only downside? Suddenly it was... over? It can't be... only 7 episodes? Dammit!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
* In one of the travel shows he visited a lumberjack festival in the pacific northwest, and was invited to participate in a few events. His narration included the musing, "I once sang a song about a lumberjack. And today, I'm going to pay for it."
There was another one of his series (I forget which) where he broke out his Gumby costume.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Started watching "I'm Not Okay With This" on Netflix, and almost immediately said "Okay, I actually care about these characters..." (hadn't had that happen in a while)

Only downside? Suddenly it was... over? It can't be... only 7 episodes? Dammit!
There pretty much has to be a Season 2, after that ending (and there will be).

Last edited by Infovore; 03-24-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 AM

The Boys Amazon Prime - I am sick of superhero shows, but while there are superheros in it, this isn't one. The social commentary is biting, the writing and acting is great. The plot compelling. I cannot fathom why this isn't more popular.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Corner Gas is a much-overlooked Canadian sitcom.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:16 PM

If you didn't like Legion there's a chance our tastes are not aligned but nonetheless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Some things we're considering:
The Runaways (Season 2)
Avenue 5
Umbrella Academy
I didn't like Season 1 of Runaways so can't comment on Season 2, I thought the Umbrella Academy definitely had some excellent moments and unexpected plot twists, although it could be uneven, and as for Avenue 5 - don't. It's awful.

Undone is an eight-episode Amazon series using rotoscoped animation about a woman who is either unstuck in time and trying to solve her father's murder with his help, or else she's schizophrenic. There are a lot of familiar elements to it but they are put together exceptionally well.

If you like Star Trek, Picard is probably worth a watch - I'm not sure it works if you're not aware of what happened in ST: TNG and the films (particularly Nemesis). It started slow but has suddenly picked up speed.

I've also recently bingewatched the entirety of Brooklyn Nine Nine but that's a whole different genre.

Last edited by Gyrate; 03-24-2020 at 12:19 PM.