Old 03-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Republicans purposely downplayed COVID-19 warnings so they could offload stock.

Fuck. These. People.

Just going to put this in the Pit, for there's no debate as to the ethics here and the political implications are really just: Fuck. The. GOP.

Story the 1st:

Intelligence Chairman Raised Virus Alarms Weeks Ago, Secret Recording Shows

Quote:
The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee warned a small group of well-connected constituents three weeks ago to prepare for dire economic and societal effects of the coronavirus, according to a secret recording obtained by NPR.

The remarks from U.S. Sen. Richard Burr were more stark than any he had delivered in more public forums.

On Feb. 27, when the United States had 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19, President Trump was tamping down fears and suggesting that the virus could be seasonal. "It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle. It will disappear," the president said then, before adding, "it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens."

On that same day, Burr attended a luncheon held at a social club called the Capitol Hill Club. And he delivered a much more alarming message. "There's one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history," he said, according to a secret recording of the remarks obtained by NPR. "It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

Burr has a unique perspective on the government's response to a pandemic, and not just because of his role as Intelligence Committee chairman. He helped to write the Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness Act (PAHPA), which forms the framework for the federal response.

But in his public comments about the threat of COVID-19, Burr never offered the kind of precise warning that he delivered to the small group of his constituents.

On Feb. 7, Burr co-authored an op-ed that laid out the tools that the U.S. government had at its disposal to fight the coronavirus.

"Luckily, we have a framework in place that has put us in a better position than any other country to respond to a public health threat, like the coronavirus," Burr said in a statement on March 5.
This... released this morning... got some people digging.

Senate Intel chair unloaded stocks in mid-February before coronavirus rocked markets

Quote:
As the coronavirus outbreak began to spread across the U.S. in mid-February, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) unloaded his holdings in dozens of stocks that would lose much of their market value over the coming weeks.

Burr and his wife Brooke sold between $581,000 and $1.5 million in publicly traded stocks on Feb. 13 and didn’t buy any new positions, according to a recent financial disclosure filed with the Senate.

Around the time that Burr sold his shares of major corporations, including several hard hit hotel companies, he publicly expressed confidence about the U.S. government’s ability to fight the virus. However in late February, Burr privately warned that the virus is “much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history,” according to a recording obtained by NPR.
Pictures of the transactions are here - most are dated 2-13-2020: https://twitter.com/annalecta/status...024322568?s=20

So, to recap:

1. Prior to COVID-19, Burr helped author the country's Pandemic Response
2. On February 7th, he pens an op-ed saying everything is OK.
3. The DJIA hits its highest close ever, @ 29,551.
3. On February 13th, he and his wife dump $1.6 million of stock, most of them in high-risk companies. DJIA closes at 29,423. Talk about selling at the top!
4. On February 27th, the same day Trump said it would 'disappear', Burr was warning wealthy supporters to prepare for the worst, for another 'Spanish Flu'. DJIA closed at 25,766
5. On March 5th, Burr pens an oped saying "We're more prepared than we have ever been". DJIA: 26,121
6. March 9th, DJIA crashes over 2,000 points. Things really begin going to hell.

Fuck. The. GOP. Just fuck them - they didn't warn people, they purposely withheld information, so they could sell their holdings at the top of the market, and now millions may die so they could profit.

Listen to the recording. It's all there. And still... for 2, 3 weeks... they did the Democrat Impeachment Hoax story while this thing was spreading across the country, so they could offload their most vulnerable assets.

FUCK THE GOP AND ALL WHO SUPPORT THEM AFTER ALL THIS SHIT.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-19-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Seconded!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Fun fact. The top Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act passed in 2012 97-3. Burr was among the 3.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:19 PM

I wonder if it would be possible for some state or collection of states to charge the lot of them with conspiracy to commit mass murder by negligence.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:25 PM

Oh, I hate that asshole more than anyone else in the Senate, and that’s saying a lot. Because I went to high school with that motherfucker. He was an asshole in high school and he’s a bigger asshole now.
I hope he goes down and goes down hard.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Fuck. These. People.

Just going to put this in the Pit, for there's no debate as to the ethics here and the political implications are really just: Fuck. The. GOP.

Story the 1st:

Intelligence Chairman Raised Virus Alarms Weeks Ago, Secret Recording Shows

This... released this morning... got some people digging.

Senate Intel chair unloaded stocks in mid-February before coronavirus rocked markets

Pictures of the transactions are here - most are dated 2-13-2020: https://twitter.com/annalecta/status...024322568?s=20

So, to recap:

1. Prior to COVID-19, Burr helped author the country's Pandemic Response
2. On February 7th, he pens an op-ed saying everything is OK.
3. The DJIA hits its highest close ever, @ 29,551.
3. On February 13th, he and his wife dump $1.6 million of stock, most of them in high-risk companies. DJIA closes at 29,423. Talk about selling at the top!
4. On February 27th, the same day Trump said it would 'disappear', Burr was warning wealthy supporters to prepare for the worst, for another 'Spanish Flu'. DJIA closed at 25,766
5. On March 5th, Burr pens an oped saying "We're more prepared than we have ever been". DJIA: 26,121
6. March 9th, DJIA crashes over 2,000 points. Things really begin going to hell.

Fuck. The. GOP. Just fuck them - they didn't warn people, they purposely withheld information, so they could sell their holdings at the top of the market, and now millions may die so they could profit.

Listen to the recording. It's all there. And still... for 2, 3 weeks... they did the Democrat Impeachment Hoax story while this thing was spreading across the country, so they could offload their most vulnerable assets.

FUCK THE GOP AND ALL WHO SUPPORT THEM AFTER ALL THIS SHIT.
can I steal and repost this link and summary? I'll take out your personal comments. Rewrite them in my own words

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 03-19-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 PM

I endorse this pitting and welcome the board's Republican water-bearers to defend it.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:47 PM

Republicans are fucking trash. Gee, I wonder why that little bitch Bricker doesn’t come around any more?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:49 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
I endorse this pitting and welcome the board's Republican water-bearers to defend it.
[predictable]"Hilary would have been worse".[/predictable]
Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
can I steal and repost this link and summary? I'll take out your personal comments. Rewrite them in my own words
Of course!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:52 PM

That stock trading reeks, and I hope it's a crime. Too bad Republicans in Trump's name are above the law and/or insta-pardonable.
The stock trading reeks, but the supression of the severity of this pandemic is ghastly. In other words, it's typically Republican.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:53 PM

Another reason for me to really hate the G.o.P., in general (not that I needed any more).
Old 03-19-2020, 05:58 PM

The right wing response to this will be that it's fake news AND that Burr was really smart to sell when he did AND he deserves a medal for not causing panic with his public remarks.

All of those things at once, and really hard too.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-19-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:10 PM

Fuck bipartisanship.

I’m not buying into the theory that we need to pretend to trust these corrupt untrustworthy crooks “for the good of the country”. They drove the economy into hyperdrive by reckless borrowing and unconscionable giveaways to their corporate co-conspirators. They dismantled the body of expertise behind the government. Then the whole country got taken down hard by what was essentially a failure of information.

This wasn’t something that just happened. It might not have been totally preventable, but it could been contained if not for incompetence.

We need to let people know this. We need to plaster the airwaves with ads showing Trump saying “I take no responsibility” and “we’re not a shipping clerk”. We need to lay the blame directly where it belongs and wake up that 50% of the country that never votes. We need to show the Republicans in all their bumbling incompetent glory. We need to double down, not ease up.

Fuck bipartisanship.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

The little shitstain has already provided a response.

As a resident of North Carolina, let me add a hearty "fuck this guy."
Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Going to periodically update my new Richard Burr metric: "Value of a human life."

$1,600,000/174 = $9,195. That is the value of a human life, as of now. This number *will* decrease.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 PM

I mean, I'm not even sure I remotely understand his defense here:

"Burr’s office also rebutted a ProPublica story indicating he sold between $500k-$1.6m in stock in the weeks leading up to the market collapse. An aide said the sale happened before market volatility began."

Yeah, that's, like, the whole problem. Nobody would have a problem if the sale happened after the market volatility.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

This is a big day for Aaron Burr.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

What happened to putting one's money in a blind trust? I thought that was customary when a position of public trust like this.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
...I’m not buying into the theory that we need to pretend to trust these corrupt untrustworthy crooks “for the good of the country”. They drove the economy into hyperdrive by reckless borrowing and unconscionable giveaways to their corporate co-conspirators. They dismantled the body of expertise behind the government. Then the whole country got taken down hard by what was essentially a failure of information.

This wasn’t something that just happened. It might not have been totally preventable, but it could been contained if not for incompetence.

We need to let people know this. We need to plaster the airwaves with ads showing Trump saying “I take no responsibility” and “we’re not a shipping clerk”. We need to lay the blame directly where it belongs and wake up that 50% of the country that never votes. ...
Very effective one-minute video that does pretty much what you request:

Quote:
Why did President Trump Lie about the COVID-19 Crisis?
https://youtu.be/JxG241bExqY

It alternates Trump lies over recent weeks with on-screen facts about the spread of the virus.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's the never-Trumper 'Rule of Law Republicans' who put it out. They hate him as much as we do.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
This is a big day for Aaron Burr.
Yeah; no longer the Worst Burr.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 03-19-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: ! a not u!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Obama did it first
Fake News
Hillary would be worse. BENGHAZI! EMAILS!
Biden has dementia
It's just smart business. You're just jealous
Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Republicans are fucking trash. Gee, I wonder why that little bitch Bricker doesn’t come around any more?
I will fill in:

"What laws exactly did Burr break? Please cite the relevant statute. Until you can do so, we must assume that Burr is of exemplary character."
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 PM

Adds "We should ban members of Congress from holding individual stocks" to the list of things that need to be fixed once sanity is restored.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 PM

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=867721

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=863873

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=863485

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=882921

I think I'll just put on my sunglasses and go look at myself in the mirror for a while.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
That stock trading reeks, and I hope it's a crime. Too bad Republicans in Trump's name are above the law and/or insta-pardonable.
The stock trading reeks, but the supression of the severity of this pandemic is ghastly. In other words, it's typically Republican.
LOL, who's going to prosecute him? The Bill Barr "Justice" Department? Hell, he was probably right in line behind Burr. All they have to do -- and I do mean ALL they have to do -- is tickle Trump's tonsils from the lower entrance up, and they are safe from any lawful prosecution.

And people wonder if this crime syndicate will have the audacity to try and stay in power no matter what the election results are...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Tom Petty video of a certain song...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:13 PM

I keep thinking about what has happened to various dictators and their cronies.

Last edited by susan; 03-19-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:15 PM

Even Fox News is mentioning this story. It’s not going away. Burr is fucked.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:39 PM

And... another one.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing
Old 03-19-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post

Well. Let’s be fair. She also bought shares that day. In Citrix. A telecommuting company...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Well. Let’s be fair. She also bought shares that day. In Citrix. A telecommuting company...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM

Republicans are vermin. They are incompatible with humanity, with morality.

You believe this, or you are a traitor.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I will fill in:

"What laws exactly did Burr break? Please cite the relevant statute. Until you can do so, we must assume that Burr is of exemplary character."
You left out “if I listen to enough opera they’ll accept me at the country club as one of them.”
Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Even Fox News is mentioning this story. It’s not going away. Burr is fucked.
You're not kidding. Tucker Carlson said the guy should resign and be prosecuted.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:03 PM

Oh, please, please, please let it dcome to pass that some of my favorite Repubs, like, say Moscow Mitch, or Devin Nunes, or Jim Jordan, and most of all, members of the Trump family, end up caught up in these shenanigans.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:03 PM

There are no good republicans, politicians or voters.

They are not people.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 PM

Republicans purposely downplayed COVID-19 warnings so they could offload stock.

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 03-19-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

A joke so nice you said it thrice.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
There are no good republicans, politicians or voters.

They are not people.
Sure they are. To paraphrase Ripley, you don't see animals fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Citrix is used (among other things, I imagine) to remotely access other computers. I only know this because I use it for school to gain access to a school lab computer (with its various software licenses) from my apartment off campus. I can guarantee there will be an uptick in usage, at least at my school.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
A joke so nice you said it thrice.

Not sure why my stuff is getting multiple posts all day.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
LOL, who's going to prosecute him? The Bill Barr "Justice" Department? Hell, he was probably right in line behind Burr. All they have to do -- and I do mean ALL they have to do -- is tickle Trump's tonsils from the lower entrance up, and they are safe from any lawful prosecution.

And people wonder if this crime syndicate will have the audacity to try and stay in power no matter what the election results are...
[My bold]

Or do whatever it takes to make sure the election comes out the way they want it to. Or both.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-19-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:42 PM

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...ame-mass-media

Scum. Animals. Bacteria. Vermin.

Quote:
Alaska’s lone member of the U.S. House, Rep. Don Young, skipped a vote early Saturday on a federal coronavirus relief package. Turns out, he was in Alaska, where hours earlier he had told a gathering of senior citizens that dangers posed by the coronavirus pandemic — the “beer virus,” he called it — have been overblown because of media-fueled hysteria.
While nurses and healthcare workers are literally risking their lives to treat people because, you know, it's their fucking job, this bacterium spreads misinformation and puts his own community at risk.

I will dehumanize these motherfuckers, and fuck anyone who tells me not to.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:43 PM

It's not just time to disinfect our countertops; we have to disinfect society, too.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:

She is also married the the chairman of the NYSE. Imagine how many people got a heads up from them.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 PM

Looks like Jin Inhofe too... link to Tweet.

Sold a bunch of stock on Monday 1/27 after attending the senators only coronavirus briefing on Friday 1/24.

In early March Inhofe was asked by a reporter if he was taking any coronavirus precautions. He replied, "No, wanna shake hands."
Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Looks like Jin Inhofe too... link to Tweet.

Sold a bunch of stock on Monday 1/27 after attending the senators only coronavirus briefing on Friday 1/24.

In early March Inhofe was asked by a reporter if he was taking any coronavirus precautions. He replied, "No, wanna shake hands."
And Inhofe voted against the virus economic assistance package! He can profit, but regular Americans can eat shit and die.

Chutzpah. That's the nicest way to put it.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 03-19-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:26 PM

Tweet about Ron Johnson

Quote:
In a report filed today, Sen. Ron Johnson R-WI with a very large stock sale earlier this month.
"Right now, all people are hearing about are the deaths. I’m sure the deaths are horrific, but the flip side of this is the vast majority of people who get coronavirus do survive." - Ron Johnson weeks after selling millions of dollars of stock in his own company.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Truly disgusting. Hanging’s too good for them.