Old 03-22-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
I'm confused here. Unless you're maintaining that "Love Me Do" was the first Beatles single released in the USA (wrong) and it went to #1 on the charts (ridiculous), I don't see what you're referring to.

(pause)

Oh. I think I see the error in the statement I was agreeing with: "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was the Fabs' first #1 in the US, but it wasn't their first single released in the US.
I should've caught that, as I bought all their US singles as they were being released.
Brings to mind how the Beatles sang Please Mr. Postman, which (a) doesn’t, in itself, count for this thread; but which (b) was the #1 debut single for the Marvelettes.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Cyndi Lauper hit #1 with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," her first single.
This brings up a question of what "first single" actually means. Cyndi Lauper's first band, Blue Angel, released five singles, none of which charted. Should they impact her batting average? Eric Clapton has been in a lot of one-off bands; should the successes of Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, et al be considered when quantifying Clapton's legacy as a solo artist, and why not? Is "Back in the New York Groove" a KISS single or an Ace Frehley one?
Old 03-22-2020, 05:44 AM

At that, Bradley Cooper’s first single reached #1. Sure, it was a duet with Lady Gaga, which is why they won the Grammy for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance...
Old 03-23-2020, 09:57 AM

Just to keep this going for one more day: Wilson Phillips got themselves a #1 debut single by dint of singing about, y’know, holding on for one more day.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

One-off charity supergroup USA For Africa hit #1 with their only single We Are The World. And the inspiration, Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas? hit #1 in the UK (peaked at #13 in the US).
Old 03-23-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
One-off charity supergroup USA For Africa hit #1 with their only single We Are The World. And the inspiration, Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas? hit #1 in the UK (peaked at #13 in the US).
The Canadian equivalent, "Tears Are Not Enough," also hit #1. Were Neil Young, Geddy Lee and Anne Murray in it, along with Bryan Adams? You bet!

All those songs were terrible.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The Canadian equivalent, "Tears Are Not Enough," also hit #1. Were Neil Young, Geddy Lee and Anne Murray in it, along with Bryan Adams? You bet!

All those songs were terrible.
See also: “All For Love”, the #1 from Bryan-Adams-and-Rod-Stewart-and-Sting.

No, I’m not saying that one was for charity.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post

But, like the others, it was terrible.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:29 PM

That was my point, yes. (And not so-bad-it’s-good, like the #1 debut single that introduced the world to Right Said Fred when I’m Too Sexy made the rounds.)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:04 AM

It's been alluded to but not directly touched upon, so I'd like to add that considering a single's international presence brings another element of comparison into this thread. What got me thinking about it was the mention of the Spice Girls, whose first hit reached number 1 around the world (according to Wikipedia). Compare that to, say, Lisa Loeb, whose first single reached number 1 in the U.S. and Canada but nowhere else, according to Wikipedia. Even Mariah Carey didn't hit number one worldwide like the Spice Girls did.

Last edited by The wind of my soul; 03-24-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Rick Astley’s overplayed debut single, Never Gonna Give You Up, apparently hit #1 in both the US and the UK, and also in Australia and Belgium and Canada and Denmark and Finland and Germany and the Netherlands and New Zealand and Norway and South Africa and Spain and Sweden and I may have missed some.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
If we're counting one-off novelty acts, then we've definitely got to make mention of Stars on 45' "Medley: Intro 'Venus' / Sugar Sugar / No Reply / I'll Be Back / Drive My Car / Do You Want to Know a Secret / We Can Work It Out / I Should Have Known Better / Nowhere Man / You're Going to Lose That Girl / Stars on 45", which made #1 in the US and a slew of other countries.

Last edited by Smapti; 03-24-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 AM

There are also probably a bunch of examples from singers who were part of a group but then went solo. Zayn Malik's first solo single after leaving One Direction hit #1. One Direction's first single went #1 in the UK, but interestingly they never had a #1 in the US despite being the biggest group in the world at the time (the best they could do in the US were a few #2's).
Old 03-24-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
There are also probably a bunch of examples from singers who were part of a group but then went solo. Zayn Malik's first solo single after leaving One Direction hit #1. One Direction's first single went #1 in the UK, but interestingly they never had a #1 in the US despite being the biggest group in the world at the time (the best they could do in the US were a few #2's).
For the opposite of a sure thing, the #1 that was DISCO DUCK. “According to Dees, it took one day to write the song, but three months to convince anyone to perform it.”
Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:

There ought to be charities to benefit victims of that song.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
I had to re-read the title three times before I noticed the typo, but anyway, it's fixed now.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Rick Astley’s overplayed debut single, Never Gonna Give You Up, apparently hit #1 in both the US and the UK, and also in Australia and Belgium and Canada and Denmark and Finland and Germany and the Netherlands and New Zealand and Norway and South Africa and Spain and Sweden and I may have missed some.
That may need an asterisk.

Quote:
They put out a single by me and Lisa Carter as Rick and Lisa, which didn’t do anything. Then they got a Fairlight synthesiser-sampler delivered. I helped them get it out of the box. I remember Mike inputting the chords to Never Gonna Give You Up. I made the tea while their programmer, Ian Curnow, did the basic track. Mike sang the melody literally into my ear and I went in and sang it. He was a tough producer but he needed to be. I was a kid who’d sung in pubs and clubs.

We shot the video in an old church near London’s Westway. All the clothes in the video are my own. There were no stylists – I shoved some stuff in a bag. I really liked the song. I remember thinking: “I’d dance to that if it came on in a disco in Warrington.” I thought it sounded like a hit and suddenly it was. One day I was making the tea. The next I was at No 1.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:42 PM

Heh. For the reverse, how about the #1 debut that was Winchester Cathedral?

Quote:
Stephens was a big fan of tunes from the British music hall era (or what Americans would call "vaudeville"), so he wrote "Winchester Cathedral" in that vein, complete with a Rudy Vallée soundalike[2] (John Carter) singing through his hands to imitate a megaphone sound.[3] Although the song was recorded entirely by session musicians, when it became an international hit, an actual band had to be assembled, with Fontana trying unsuccessfully to recruit the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.[4]
Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 AM

Mention was made, in passing, of how George Harrison hit #1 with what’s arguably his debut single when MY SWEET LORD topped various charts around the world; figure I’ll now add, for one reason or another, that HE’S SO FINE had already hit #1 as the debut single for the Chiffons back in ‘63.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 AM

Another girl group apparently worth a quick mention: the Chordettes, back when they were asking Mister Sandman to please bring them a dream.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 AM

And, later: the Dixie Cups, singing about goin’ to the Chapel of Love.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:47 AM

“Afternoon Delight” was Starland Vocal Band’s #1 debut single.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 AM

Peter and Gordon hit #1 with the McCartney-penned World Without Love.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:17 AM

“Unbelievable” was a #1 debut for EMF (with an assist from Andrew Dice Clay).
Old 03-31-2020, 07:28 AM

Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch hit #1 with “Good Vibrations”, and then he became an Oscar-caliber dramatic actor, and if you were to add something about Wahlburgers then this sentence would seem like something out of Mad Libs.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Rick Dees was the roommate of John Tesh for a little while. Tesh went to Entertainment tonight TV show and later his own music career.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Rick Dees was the roommate of John Tesh for a little while. Tesh went to Entertainment tonight TV show and later his own music career.
Speaking of living arrangements: “Hey Paula” was a debut #1 single for the duo of, uh, Paul and Paula. "Paul" was the song's writer, Ray Hildebrand, a student at Texas' Howard Payne University, a Baptist institution in the city of Brownwood. "Paula" was Jill Jackson, the niece of the owner of the boarding house where Ray lived.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Since today’s a holiday built around jokey stuff, I’ll make quick mention of the #1 single that was “Monster Mash”, from Bobby ‘Boris’ Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I love that in the early days of rock 'n' roll any teenager could write an insanely catchy song and have it discovered and turned into a national hit. It kept happening over and over.

My favorite went only to #2. The Surfaris were a bunch of high schoolers who were recording a possible single for a tiny record company. They needed a b-side, so they made one up on the spot and recorded it in one take. That was the sublime "Wipe Out," my candidate for the most perfect rock instrumental. Not a single note out of place or extra, but with every one counting.

And like most of the others who had that moment of supreme inspiration, they never did nothing no more.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I love that in the early days of rock 'n' roll any teenager could write an insanely catchy song and have it discovered and turned into a national hit. It kept happening over and over.
Hey, even decades later, teens could still write a catchy #1 debut with MMMBop.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:23 AM

And, in the same vein: Jermaine Dupri was still a teen when the song he wrote became a #1 debut for younger teens in the ‘90s, with Kris Kross and “Jump”.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Hey, even decades later, teens could still write a catchy #1 debut with MMMBop.
Lorde was a teenager when she wrote "Royals." Billie Eilish hit #1 with "Bad Guy," though in fairness I think her brother writes the songs a lot more than she does. So it can still happen.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:16 AM

As far as I can tell, Ciara wrote “Goodies” — and promptly had it hit #1, in the US and the UK, as her debut single — when she was just eighteen.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Pretty recently, Desiigner was a teen who hit #1 with his debut single Panda.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:22 AM

A Taste Of Honey had a #1 debut single with ‘Boogie Oogie Oogie’.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Strawberry Alarm Clock, with ‘Incense and Peppermints’.