Old 03-22-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
Auto sales might turn out to be essential for people who wreck their cars. I mean, we're all doing less driving now, but not none. Someone's going to total their car. And then what? Take public transportation?
I think I posted here how another driver ran a stop sign and totaled my car last month. Still waiting on the insurance payment to process (which started last week, supposedly) and then looking forward to buying a new car. Also, I HAVE to buy a new car within 30 days to get the sales tax rebate. And I still have to work. For now I have a backup car with many issues I was looking forward to putting back on the bench.

FWIW, I'm assuming at least some online auto sales will go on, and that's how I bought my last car.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:38 AM

It occurs to me that if you know what you want and call an auto dealership, they might still be able to sell you a new car. They can't run the showroom, but that doesn't mean that one person can't show up and sit 10 feet away from another to sign a contract. Maybe?
Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
It occurs to me that if you know what you want and call an auto dealership, they might still be able to sell you a new car. They can't run the showroom, but that doesn't mean that one person can't show up and sit 10 feet away from another to sign a contract. Maybe?
I might do the Carvana "no contact" delivery.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I might do the Carvana "no contact" delivery.
There are several car dealers here advertising on the radio about how they clean and disinfect their dealerships all the time, plus they will bring cars to your house for you to look at and then they will bring the paperwork to your house if you like.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Liquor stores.
I dunno, if the weed stores are still open how do you close liquor stores?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
I dunno, if the weed stores are still open how do you close liquor stores?
Pennsylvania dispensaries are deemed necessary and are therefore open, but our state liquor stores are closed. Our governor pointed outbthatbthe dispensaries are selling necessary medicine, while the liquor stores are not.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 AM

I know someone said funeral homes are essential and are open, but just wanted to add that my best friend's dad died this week. They had the funeral, but it was limited to immediate family only and the funeral home suggested that each family group sit away from each other. When I called to check up on him, he said that each family group sat in every other row to appease the funeral home, but then gathered at his sister's house for a meal. They are all a very close family anyway and are helping each other with child care etc since a lot of child care places have shut down.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Pennsylvania dispensaries are deemed necessary and are therefore open, but our state liquor stores are closed. Our governor pointed outbthatbthe dispensaries are selling necessary medicine, while the liquor stores are not.
I've seen it pointed out that given the number of alcoholics out there, liquor stores should probably be considered essential medicine too.

The last thing you want is alcoholics without their fix going to the ER with DTs right now.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Liquor stores.
For some reason I'm on an email list for a local distillery. I just got an email saying they're keeping their tasting room open because it's "essential."
I know we're all want our hooch during lockdown, but the tasting room?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:54 PM

My husband mentioned this earlier today: McDonald's restaurants (and probably other fast-food restaurants) to some extent function as daytime homeless shelters, where people can get out of the elements for a few hours if they can scrape together some change for a coffee. Not to mention bathroom facilities. LA is famous for its mild weather but has had unusual amounts of rain and wildly fluctuating temperatures in the last 2 weeks. While the city is making efforts to finally do something about the problem, I'm still seeing a lot of people on the streets. I'll leave it to the experts to weigh the costs and benefits of closing all dining rooms, but certainly there are costs, and they're being borne by those who can least afford them.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
My husband mentioned this earlier today: McDonald's restaurants (and probably other fast-food restaurants) to some extent function as daytime homeless shelters, where people can get out of the elements for a few hours if they can scrape together some change for a coffee. Not to mention bathroom facilities. LA is famous for its mild weather but has had unusual amounts of rain and wildly fluctuating temperatures in the last 2 weeks. While the city is making efforts to finally do something about the problem, I'm still seeing a lot of people on the streets. I'll leave it to the experts to weigh the costs and benefits of closing all dining rooms, but certainly there are costs, and they're being borne by those who can least afford them.
Are the (actual, nighttime) homeless shelters still open? I don't imagine they have the facilities to isolate everybody. Seems like a bad time to be homeless.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've seen it pointed out that given the number of alcoholics out there, liquor stores should probably be considered essential medicine too.

The last thing you want is alcoholics without their fix going to the ER with DTs right now.
In Illinois, they are on the essential list.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
In Illinois, they are on the essential list.
Ontario as well.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Are the (actual, nighttime) homeless shelters still open? I don't imagine they have the facilities to isolate everybody. Seems like a bad time to be homeless.
Is there ever a good time to be homeless? ;-)

As far as I've heard, the shelters are still open. The only mention I see of COVID-19 on the websites of the Union Rescue Mission and the Los Angeles Mission are in pleas for donations. Obviously it's a concern, though:
Quote:
In Venice, Catherine Schultis and her partner, Richard Campbell, live in a van and make money as artists on the boardwalk — work that has evaporated as the crowds have disappeared following Gov. Gavin Newsom’s order for businesses to close and residents to stay at home. Going to a shelter, she said, sounds like a horrible idea.

“How are we supposed to maintain six feet away from people?” Schultis asked. “I’ve spent enough time in shelters to know that once one person catches something and goes into a common area, everyone has it within days.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...es%3f_amp=true

LA County is working on setting up some temporary shelters using empty buildings and trailers. They're also setting up hand-washing stations outside homeless tent cities in an apparent acknowledgment that we're still not going to be able to put a roof over all 50,000 of them, to say nothing of walls between them.
https://covid19.lacounty.gov/covid19...s-and-housing/

Something to keep in mind when we're all going stir-crazy inside our homes.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 PM

First thing around here was to completely shut down any kind of public transport (12 days ago). By any means essential business. That looked like flucked up decision at that time, but looks like it worked out. So, how essential people commute to their workplaces now: solo in the car, by foot or bike or the don't. Some can telework, but most important out of the box realization was, there are heck a lot of sudden emptied airbnb and similar places, which are now full of long commuting essential staff. For free.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:

In PA you can still buy take-out beer. A bar I liked to go to during before-times had guys who would walk in, buy as much cheap beer as they could carry, go home and drink it. Later in the day they'd return and do it again.