Old 03-21-2020, 11:57 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Tiger King - new series on Netflix

CNN review: 'Tiger King' is the weird docu-series distraction we can use right now

Wow, this is a pretty wild story involving a bunch of, shall we say, very passionate exotic cat aficionados. The thread running though the story that hit me hardest is the fact that there are more privately-owned tigers in the USA than survive in the wild...and many of them are the result of what are essentially "cub mills" that trade on their value as cute tourist attractions.

Last edited by blondebear; 03-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:04 PM

We are two episodes in - it is wild , especially the guy whose name means "Lord" in (Indian?) and who makes his tiger interns into his wives. Definitely a great watch for a Friday night quarantine & booze binge !

Jaime
Old 03-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Fans of the series may appreciate Roar:
Quote:
Due to the large number of untrained animals on set, there were a reported 48 injuries within two years of the start of filming.[64] It has been estimated that, of Roar's 140-person crew,[43] at least 70 were injured during production.[37] In a 2015 interview, John Marshall said that he believed the number of people injured was over 100.[44]
Nice recap here : ‘Roar’ a movie with 150 untrained lions, what could go wrong?
Old 03-21-2020, 04:51 PM

we have a local tiger rescue place. Most interesting fact, you have to stay back at least 8 feet from the fence or you can get pissed on. I saw myself how far they can spray.

https://carolinatigerrescue.org/
Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Saw first 3 episodes last night and it's very good.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:33 AM

I've been wanting to watch this but I'm pretty squeamish about animal cruelty.

Should I stay away?

mmm
Old 03-22-2020, 12:16 PM

I saw this thread title yesterday and saw the show pop up when I was browsing Netflix last night; is it about Joe Exotic?
Old 03-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

It is essential that you dig out Louis Theroux's documentary "America's Most Dangerous Pets" before seeing this show.

Louis met the guy years ago when he was profiling people with odd pets. He seemed full-blown nuts back then, no shock he is....well, terrible. I don't see the whole doc online, but you have to dig it out if you can.

This clip does not convey how nuts he came off as.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I saw this thread title yesterday and saw the show pop up when I was browsing Netflix last night; is it about Joe Exotic?
Yep, Joe is the main...um, antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

Should I stay away?

mmm
Depends on your definition of cruelty, I guess. Most of the animals are pretty well taken care of, but keep in mind, these big cats are born to live and die in captivity. There are a couple of scenes that will probably bother you (like the Zanesville incident), but overall the story focuses on the infighting amongst the human characters.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Ah, okay. I remember when that whole thing unfolded a few years back; it was pretty fucked up.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM

the story had another part in January , not sure if that is included as well.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 PM

Aye; I saw it reported. I'm still gonna watch the doc tho; it sounds like a ripping good one.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:

Should I stay away?

mmm
OK, I watched the first two episodes. It is indeed gripping and I've not yet been traumatized.

Looking forward to the rest.

mmm
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Should I stay away?

mmm
A core theme [which i don't think is a spoiler] is the argument between factions [?] in the big cat community about whether breeding tigers in captivity and then keeping them in close confines is inherently cruel or an acceptable counter to their being endangered in the wild.* I suspect that where you sit on this question will determine whether what you see on the screen [tigers in close confines] presses your cruelty-alert buttons. Also scenes of carnivorous animals being fed partial carcasses. I know that upsets some as well.

I agree with previous posters who've said this is a mesmerising train-wreck of a human drama. Its what Netflix can do really well done extremely well.

* I think that is a real sideline issue in animal cruelty, but it usefully places the different bods you'll meet in relation to each other. There is not an actual lot of deeper discussion about what constitutes animal cruelty in the show.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:14 AM

article about the show has a few spoilers

https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/ne...cumentary.html
Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 PM

I've only seen the first episode last night, so take my comments in that context if anything changes, but...

I was stunningly disappointedly with the woman who is the "Big Cat Rescue" owner. She started off as a seeming to be a bit of an eccentric, doing this noble project to protect big cats. Then you find out she's a basically a competitor to him!?!

My opinion of her changed completely when they showed her doing he exact same thing as he does with the exception of taking the animals on the road to malls. All I could think of was what an f-ing hypocritical douchebag!! If it's wrong to charge admission to see the cats, it's wrong. F-you.

That said though, she's is a very clever douchebag. Her ability to cloak herself in virtue and to undermine her competitors by creating fake websites that look independent was brilliant.

Of course, this doesn't alter the fact that Joe is a complete whack job with obvious mental issues, but I was so disappointed in her. If he had his crap together he would have hired a PR agency that way she did to counter-attack.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

they also show another nutty guy with many big cats who is in Myrtle Beach.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I've only seen the first episode last night, so take my comments in that context if anything changes, but...

I was stunningly disappointedly with the woman who is the "Big Cat Rescue" owner. She started off as a seeming to be a bit of an eccentric, doing this noble project to protect big cats. Then you find out she's a basically a competitor to him!?!

My opinion of her changed completely when they showed her doing he exact same thing as he does with the exception of taking the animals on the road to malls. All I could think of was what an f-ing hypocritical douchebag!! If it's wrong to charge admission to see the cats, it's wrong. F-you.

That said though, she's is a very clever douchebag. Her ability to cloak herself in virtue and to undermine her competitors by creating fake websites that look independent was brilliant.

Of course, this doesn't alter the fact that Joe is a complete whack job with obvious mental issues, but I was so disappointed in her. If he had his crap together he would have hired a PR agency that way she did to counter-attack.
I agree with your assessment of her. Another difference is that she doesn't breed the animals (at least not to the point in the series that I've gotten).
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Not surprising: Slate article reveals songs that are presented as Joe Exotic’s … aren’t.

Quote:
They were written and performed by Washington state musicians Vince Johnson and Danny Clinton...they connected with Exotic via an ad looking for someone to write a theme song for his private zoo as well as the in-the-works reality TV show about it...It wasn’t until months later, watching Joe’s videos on YouTube, that Johnson realized Joe was going to “Milli Vanilli” the songs and take full credit for them.