Old 03-23-2020, 12:45 AM

Karma's a bitch: Harvey Weinstein tests positive for corona virus!

At least one good thing is coming out of this whole mess

Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 AM

That's crazy! Can't get myself to feel too sorry for him.

There've been prison riots in Peru and some other countries lately because of fear of coronavirus.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:20 AM

Thanks, Guinea. Please keep us updated on all the jerks who deserve to get corona virus.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:46 AM

Isn’t he like in the high risk cohort?
Old 03-23-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Thanks, Guinea. Please keep us updated on all the jerks who deserve to get corona virus.

I think I disagree and find Schadenfreude inappropriate at least during this emergency.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-23-2020, 02:31 AM

Nah, I'm glad he has it. Fuck him.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Isnít he like in the high risk cohort?
Yes, for multiple reasons - age, diabetes, hypertension, history of heart problems.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:07 AM

Well I mean it doesn't sound like karma if he dies and doesn't really suffer the consequences of his actions, the guy did get to enjoy the life of luxury and glamour for decades...

Last edited by pool; 03-23-2020 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

His infection means the virus is inside that correctional system, and that's bad news, people.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
His infection means the virus is inside that correctional system, and that's bad news, people.
My son is a corrections officer in a prison and they are dealing with what is likely their first case.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Is he appealing his conviction? If he dies before the appeals are fully concluded, his guilty verdict will be vacated, won't it?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-23-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

If he got it at Rikers, there's a high chance it's been spreading inside of Rikers for weeks now. Rikers is a jail, not a prison which means the people locked up in there haven't been convicted of anything yet, they're there awaiting trial or because they can't afford bail. I feel bad for the inmates of Rikers who don't have the liberty to social distance or self quarantine or do anything against a virus that the authorities have let negligently spread through the population.

In a just world, a single case of something so infectious in a jail like Rikers would be enough to constitute cruel and usual punishment and the defendants would be allowed to go home with ankle monitoring or some other form of less severe punishment until the jails are cleared up and they're confident it's not spreading inside.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My BIL is a corrections officer and has an underlying respiratory condition. He's getting the doctor's orders to allow him to work from home (he actually can, as he's not in direct contact with inmates, working on other programs). While I don't particularly care if HW gets it, there are people who are forced to be in proximity of him that will suffer.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
If he got it at Rikers, there's a high chance it's been spreading inside of Rikers for weeks now. Rikers is a jail, not a prison which means the people locked up in there haven't been convicted of anything yet, they're there awaiting trial or because they can't afford bail. I feel bad for the inmates of Rikers who don't have the liberty to social distance or self quarantine or do anything against a virus that the authorities have let negligently spread through the population.

In a just world, a single case of something so infectious in a jail like Rikers would be enough to constitute cruel and usual punishment and the defendants would be allowed to go home with ankle monitoring or some other form of less severe punishment until the jails are cleared up and they're confident it's not spreading inside.
Even the murderers and rapists (accused)?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:33 AM

Actually, I heard recently on NPR that Rikers is lousy with the virus. Aren't they trying to depopulate as much as possible? people are there either because they couldn't afford bail, or they were not offered bail (the latter would be extremely violent people, or repeat offenders), or, very occasionally, people who were deemed at risk from the public; Weinstein was probably in the last group.

Anyway, as though the justice system didn't have enough to do, they are revisiting all the decisions of people in Rikers, seeing whose bail could be lowered, switched to bond, and who could maybe be changed to house arrest with an ankle monitor.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Even the murderers and rapists (accused)?
If all but the murderers and rapists are released, the prison is now empty enough that proper social distancing and disinfection procedures can be followed.

I can't imagine how scary it would be for a prisoner right now to be in a cell with a guard coughing on them or being forced to cram together with fellow prisoners who obviously have a high fever or other symptoms. Especially if you have one of the comorbidities that mean you have a high chance of hospitalization and you know that prisoners fall at the very bottom of the priority list for access to ventilators.

If they were free people, we would consider that bioterrorism but because they're inside of the carceral system, we've been trained to think of them as less than human and less deserving of basic rights. There were reports from MCC and other prisons for months that even access to soap was denied to prisoners so they couldn't even follow the basic hygiene procedures recommended by world authorities. It's always been a blight on the American system and all this does is highlight even further how sickening the system actually is.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Important aside: How are you coping with this and how is your current health situation, QtM?

Be well. Stay well.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 AM

That’s why I mentioned the prison riots in other countries. I wonder if that’s going to happen here. I don’t feel sorry for HW really, but we do need a better corrections system in this country. Obviously if HW has it then probably lots of others do too or soon will.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:32 AM

And here, in my twisted, evil brain, when I saw that ol' Horny Harvey tested positive for COVID-19, my first thought was, "Oh, so it's also sexually transmitted. Hmmm"

(Disclaimer: COVID-19 is a respiratory virus in humans)

~VOW
Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
. Obviously if HW has it then probably lots of others do too or soon will.
Yes, as mentioned above, this is already being reported. With how hard New York is being hit, it is not surprising that their prisons/jails are going to be a problem.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-23-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Nah, I'm glad he has it. Fuck him.
Are you also glad that all the people to whom he may transmit the virus will get it, too?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
Thatís why I mentioned the prison riots in other countries. I wonder if thatís going to happen here. I donít feel sorry for HW really, but we do need a better corrections system in this country. Obviously if HW has it then probably lots of others do too or soon will.
Now all Florida prisons on lockdown.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Are you also glad that all the people to whom he may transmit the virus will get it, too?
I doubt he was the Typhoid Mary of Rikers. He contracted it in jail. So it was an extant threat to the population that had nothing to do with him. He's just among the most recent victims.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 AM

There's no such thing as Karma. IMO, of course.

Good things happen to "bad" people and bad things happen to "good" people every second of the day.

I truly would not wish this awful disease on anyone.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I truly would not wish this awful disease on anyone.
You're one of the good'uns, aren't you?

I've had a wish list for a while now.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Moved to the Pit.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator
Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
If you don't stop rolling your eyes, they'll get stuck like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I doubt he was the Typhoid Mary of Rikers. He contracted it in jail. So it was an extant threat to the population that had nothing to do with him. He's just among the most recent victims.
There's your answer. Good enough for me.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You're one of the good'uns, aren't you?

I've had a wish list for a while now.
Well, there are a couple of folks I'd feel less bad for. Hey, I'm not a saint!

Old 03-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

NYC, LA, and Cleveland have been releasing the most vulnerable inmates. Cleveland has been using plea deals; most likely the other two cities have been as well but the article doesn't say.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 PM

The virus wishes to make it known that Weinstein consented to the infection.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Rand Paul has it and Iím sure heís not super popular on the Dope.

Also PlŠcido Domingo, he of the many sexual harassment accusations. Heís 79 years old.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:02 PM

Yes, I immediately boycotted all opera when I heard the Domingo accusations.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
People are ambivalent about Weinstein because they know what he did.

They're sorry for everyone else who is there because they don't know what those people did and choose to view your average criminal as being more like a Robin Hood and less like a Bill Cosby.

Between the two options, the latter is much more likely, minus a script writer and a director.

The staff and guards, obviously, should be provided with extra measures of protection and self-defense, of course. And likewise, everyone, including Weinstein, should receive decent care. But ambivalence about many of them is reasonable.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 03-23-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:34 PM

There are only a finite number of fucks, and if you give too many you run out, so save them for the deserving.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Did they say that? No.

What they said was that they were happy that the guy had the virus. They did not say anything whatsoever about anyone else around him.

It's perfectly possible to be okay with one aspect of something while not liking other aspects.

They are having a perfectly normal reaction to a bad thing happening to a bad person. We all have an innate sense of justice, one where we want bad people to be punished for what they do. To a lot of us, even what Weinstein is getting in prison doesn't really balance out what he did. It makes sense that we'd be happy that he's getting additional "punishment": getting a disease he wouldn't have if he hadn't done that shit and thus been where he is now.

I may be a self-righteous prick at times, but I see no good that comes from telling people not to be happy when bad things happen to bad people. I can't see how it really hurts anything, and I can see how it can help coping in an unfair world to sometimes see that, through no effort of any person, a bad person gets "punished."

I ultimately don't want this disease to even exist. But it does. I ultimately don't want anyone getting it. But they have. And, if someone is going to get it, I find that Weinstein is one for whom it can, in a small way, be a good thing. Not that a person got the virus, but that a bad thing happened to deserving person.

We all have to find a silver lining in this shitty circumstance.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirofhermiston View Post
See, now that's the proper joke to make here.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:30 PM

I laughed.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:04 PM

Of course I'm sorry for prison employees who are being exposed, like Qadgop and such.

However, someone like Weinstein? I can't help but feel this serves him right. That at least ONE time we hear about it hitting someone famous, it's someone as vile as him.

Yeah, Rand Paul's a douchebag, but he's quite that of Weinstein's caliber. (As far as I know)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 PM

Rand Paul is 57, and AFAIK is relatively healthy. I hope he recovers and I’m sure he will.

I imagine Weinstein and Domingo are less likely to see the other side of this.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
A nurse in the Albany County jail in NYS also just tested positive for it.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Yeah, Rand Paul's a douchebag, but he's quite that of Weinstein's caliber. (As far as I know)
D'oh, that should be NOT quite of that Weinstein's caliber. I am certainly not cheering that Rand Paul got corona, although I do hope he'll at least learn something from the experience.

I generally try to reserve wishing cancer and disease on really bad people, not just your random dickweeds.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:10 AM

The beauty of this is, you don't have to wish it on Weinstein or Paul; they've already got it.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
The beauty of this is, you don't have to wish it on Weinstein or Paul; they've already got it.
I have nothing to add to the Weinstein discussion. I just wanted to note that Tooth has a great quote by a great writer.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:21 AM

If you really hate someone, don't wish corona on them now.

Wish it on them in three weeks time
Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Tweet thread from a lawyer who works with prisoners in Rikers. Absolutely heartbreaking.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I generally try to reserve wishing cancer and disease on really bad people, not just your random dickweeds.
If you think Weinstein should be dead for his crimes, wouldn't it make more sense to lobby for an extension of the death penalty to people who did what he did rather than hoping he gets a random disease?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirofhermiston View Post
Weirofhermiston wins the Internets for the day.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
There's no such thing as Karma. IMO, of course.
To me, the proof that there is no such thing as Karma is that neither Donald Trump nor Richard Burr has COVID-19.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
If you think Weinstein should be dead for his crimes, wouldn't it make more sense to lobby for an extension of the death penalty to people who did what he did rather than hoping he gets a random disease?
I don't recall anyone here saying he should die for his crimes, just that they won't be sad when he does die. And since he's already got this disease, that may happen sooner than it would have otherwise. And no one will shed a tear.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I don't recall anyone here saying he should die for his crimes, just that they won't be sad when he does die. And since he's already got this disease, that may happen sooner than it would have otherwise. And no one will shed a tear.
People in this thread have said the're glad he has the disease, that it's a good thing he has it, that he deserves to have it. That's pretty much saying that he should have the disease.