Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

You don't close the beaches just because one shark is in the water, right?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
The iceberg has already hit the Titanic, the boat is sinking and people are manning the lifeboats.
Your analogy is quite apt. The first several boats that launched were half-full -- or even less -- because people were reluctant to leave the warm and cozy ship even though the experts, the ship's officers, were telling them it was sinking.

Since there weren't enough lifeboats to go around there still would have been a lot of even if all had been full, but not as many people were saved as could have been.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

But there's also a warning: if you foolishly go on and pretend that it's business as usual, the crisis will eventually explode into something even worse than what we're already dealing with. And worse than that, people will lose all faith in the government's ability to manage a crisis. People will stay home anyway. People will come to work, only to get sick and up going to the ICU by the thousands, only this time it won't be just in New York City but also in cities and towns across the Heartland.

That's why I say, as tasteless as it sounds to say it, I think some people need a taste of their own fucking medicine. You want to deny science? You want to laugh because you think you're somewhere in Kansas and it's just a blue state, big city, Chinese, Asian disease...well, don't expect any tears of sympathy from me when I see convoys of trucks carrying out coffins in their cities.
Louisiana has the fastest growing Covid-19 infection rate IN THE WORLD. It might make sense when you read headlines like this:

Louisiana Pastor Brings 26 Busloads of Passengers Together for Sunday Services

Quote:
The church paid for 26 buses to transport 1,825 attendees from all over Baton Rouge to gather for a massive outdoor service — no social distancing whatsoever.

In fact, witnesses report that parishioners gathered together in close groupings, touching and embracing each other. Nine people were baptized in water. Covered meals were served. Very few people wore protective masks or gloves.
Rodney Howard-Browne Used His Sunday Service to Spread Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories

Quote:
  • COVID-19 is a “phantom plague.”
  • It was created by the Chinese government to tank the U.S. economy.
  • The media is run by Communists.
  • There’s a 75% chance the positive test is negative.
  • Any vaccine will just be a Big Pharma scam.
  • The outbreak was “planned” at a 2019 event organized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
  • The “deep state” is feeding Donald Trump misinformation.
  • The World Health Organization is conducting “medical tyranny” by telling countries how they ought to respond.
  • Our government has deployed the military for a soon-to-happen war against our national enemies
Catholic Cardinal Burke says faithful should attend Mass despite coronavirus

Quote:
“In considering what is needed to live, we must not forget that our first consideration is our relationship with God,” Burke wrote in a letter published on his website Saturday (March 21).

“That is why it is essential for us, at all times and above all in times of crisis, to have access to our churches and chapels, to the Sacraments, and to public devotions and prayers.”
The headlines keep coming...
  • 34 tied to Arkansas church test positive for coronavirus, deacon says
  • Liberty University lets 1,900 students return to campus during the coronavirus outbreak
  • Mormons Irresponsibly Gathered in Utah Airport to Greet Returning Missionaries
  • A MESSAGE FROM SOLID ROCK CHURCH: the government ban on large gatherings does not apply to religious worship.

Science hasn't got a prayer...
Old 03-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Religion is such a catastrophic mess.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Some of this seems to have the potential to 'solve itself' if these morons keep getting together.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM

Evolution in action, y'all.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Louisiana has the fastest growing Covid-19 infection rate IN THE WORLD. It might make sense when you read headlines like this:

Louisiana Pastor Brings 26 Busloads of Passengers Together for Sunday Services

Rodney Howard-Browne Used His Sunday Service to Spread Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories

Catholic Cardinal Burke says faithful should attend Mass despite coronavirus

The headlines keep coming...
  • 34 tied to Arkansas church test positive for coronavirus, deacon says
  • Liberty University lets 1,900 students return to campus during the coronavirus outbreak
  • Mormons Irresponsibly Gathered in Utah Airport to Greet Returning Missionaries
  • A MESSAGE FROM SOLID ROCK CHURCH: the government ban on large gatherings does not apply to religious worship.

Science hasn't got a prayer...
Yep, and that's why even though what I wrote was "callous," I just don't see it that way. Call me vile and evil - I do not give a fuck.

We don't have to die because of their ignorance - because a) they don't have to be ignorant, and b) we shouldn't be forced to live with the consequences.

But as it turns out, these fucking "people" *choose* to be willfully ignorant and we *have* to live - and die - with the consequences of it.

Fuck, fuck, fuck them!!!

Last edited by asahi; 03-25-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Evolution in action, y'all.
True, but they will take some people down with them. And for that I hate them.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Any economy that requires millions of people to die or live shorter, more miserable lives is an economy that doesn't deserve saving.
Pithy, brilliant. So much this ^
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Any economy that requires millions of people to die or live shorter, more miserable lives is an economy that doesn't deserve saving.
At least one other person would disagree.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
It's much worse than nobody steering the ship. We have a deranged, arrogantly ignorant captain who's determined to ram us into every iceberg in the ocean.
More like he's saying "We have to steer close to those icebergs, because the penalty for steering further away and taking longer is too high!"
Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

A note to those who wish specific groups would die for the Corona... grandmothers, church goers, libs, conservatives, whatever...

You can't offer 1% of the population as an offering to appease a virus. It's not going to respond: "OK, got my 1%, I'm done."
Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
No, there isn't - if you believe that then you've missed the lesson, and you don't see the warning.

The lesson is this: pay attention to the facts, to the science, to the scientists. Don't treat experts like they're overpaid bureaucratic idiots who have no value. Don't disband the team that was put into place as a response to a previous deadly outbreak for the express purpose of stopping an outbreak just like this one. That's the lesson.

But there's also a warning: if you foolishly go on and pretend that it's business as usual, the crisis will eventually explode into something even worse than what we're already dealing with. And worse than that, people will lose all faith in the government's ability to manage a crisis. People will stay home anyway. People will come to work, only to get sick and up going to the ICU by the thousands, only this time it won't be just in New York City but also in cities and towns across the Heartland.
I know, Asahi. I'm not saying to foolishly go out and pretend it is business as usual. I am saying a Depression is worth avoiding if we can. When people ain't got no home anymore, do they all migrate out of the South to Texas or California like in the last Depression? Are they all going to gather in homeless camps and get fed in soup kitchens? How is that going to work for containing the virus?

Be real about the virus threat. Also be real about the Depression threat, that's all I'm saying. NOT "be stupid."

Quote:
That's why I say, as tasteless as it sounds to say it, I think some people need a taste of their own fucking medicine. You want to deny science? You want to laugh because you think you're somewhere in Kansas and it's just a blue state, big city, Chinese, Asian disease...well, don't expect any tears of sympathy from me when I see convoys of trucks carrying out coffins in their cities.
I don't agree with this for the simple reason that I think they are victims. Look at what they are being told by the religious authorities:
Quote:
COVID-19 is a “phantom plague.”
It was created by the Chinese government to tank the U.S. economy.
The media is run by Communists.
There’s a 75% chance the positive test is negative.
Any vaccine will just be a Big Pharma scam.
The outbreak was “planned” at a 2019 event organized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The “deep state” is feeding Donald Trump misinformation.
The World Health Organization is conducting “medical tyranny” by telling countries how they ought to respond.
Our government has deployed the military for a soon-to-happen war against our national enemies
On the one hand, yes, we are probably talking about people with lousy educations who are socially trapped by being born into strict religious communities. Not to generalize, but Flint isn't the only place with lead in the water, it happens when the infrastructure crumbles and the South is some of the worst. Not to generalize but acquaintances swear to me that inbreeding is alive and well in some places. Add it all up and we are talking about people who aren't always the most informed or equipped with the best judgment.

OTOH, none of this makes these guilty people deserving of harm. The problem isn't them, it is their leaders. It is not moral to mislead vulnerable populations just so you can get a tax break or get reelected. Yeah, politics is always full of bullshit, but the GOP agenda is entirely selfish and not to the benefit of credulous yokels. It takes advantage of them. I'm not very religious myself but I have more shepherding instinct than any of these religion-screaming partisans- you keep people safe and healthy if you can, and when in a position of authority you lead them in their best interests. There's a debate about how to do that for sure, but it isn't "Everybody ignore the pandemic, get 3-10% of yourselves killed so my stock portfolio doesn't go down."

These people are effectively victims. They are given misinformation by effectively evil people who have their trust. They should know better I guess, but a lot of rural areas especially don't have internet and they don't have great access to information.

Getting sick isn't in their interest. A Depression definitely isn't, either. That's the "there there". We should attend to both. It is hard to have the conversation when our leadership is full of idiots, we end up talking about that instead of the matter at hand.

So you may be right, practically speaking a lot of hurt may be the only thing that focuses their minds. But for the above reasons I avoid actively wishing them harm, and also because of the moral prohibition against... witchcraft. Hear me out- there's no such thing as magic, but that is the intent of such sentiments and you should avoid them because of the harmful effects they have on yourself. It'll turn you into a bitter hater and a magical thinker.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yep, and that's why even though what I wrote was "callous," I just don't see it that way. Call me vile and evil - I do not give a fuck.

We don't have to die because of their ignorance - because a) they don't have to be ignorant, and b) we shouldn't be forced to live with the consequences.

But as it turns out, these fucking "people" *choose* to be willfully ignorant and we *have* to live - and die - with the consequences of it.

Fuck, fuck, fuck them!!!
Yep!

I have a close friend. His wife is in ICU, most likely dying, from a respiratory infection. (Covid 19? No clue. They may or may not have tested her...Testing here has been extremely low...) He hasn't seen his wife for a week, and he may never see her again. He's scared, and worried, and alone. She's dying, and alone. Their kids can't travel here to be with him, or say goodbye to their mother. Our friend group can't come together with hugs and meals and comfort. But we all accept that it has to be this way. It sucks. And I hate that people are inviting this horrifying situation into their own lives by ignoring science.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Look at what they are being told by the religious authorities:
Quote:
The outbreak was “planned” at a 2019 event organized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The World Health Organization is conducting “medical tyranny” by telling countries how they ought to respond.
Our government has deployed the military for a soon-to-happen war against our national enemies
Eh. That particular leader is in Florida; you know how weird (and red) they are.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am saying a Depression is worth avoiding if we can.
Too late.

It's already happened.

It just hasn't finished unfolding yet.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, the Depression is already here. We haven't yet hit the technical definition yet of a "10% drop in GDP" or "a recession which exceeds 2 years" (gonna on that last one), but since the reports I'm seeing say that GDP is going to take a $2.5 trillion hit over the next couple of months, with a $21 trillion GDP, we're pretty much there.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-25-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 PM

I'm looking forward to the Easter parade this year. All those ladies in their FUN hats, and a church social with potluck and ice cream afterwards. Maybe even some Barbershop, and a shuffleboard championship afterwards! It'll be a Great time for all of us suffering from cabin fever.
Thanks for working this out with Jesus, Donald; or whomever you worked it out with.
I could Not be happier!!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A note to those who wish specific groups would die for the Corona... grandmothers, church goers, libs, conservatives, whatever...

You can't offer 1% of the population as an offering to appease a virus. It's not going to respond: "OK, got my 1%, I'm done."
OTOH, Florida was the red state with the smallest % winning margin in 2016 other than the MI-PA-WI triad, with Trump winning only by 48.6% to 47.4%. If enough of Florida's Fox News demographic gets the virus, that alone could tip Florida blue in November. If that happened, their sacrifice wouldn't be in vain.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 03-25-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Eh. That particular leader is in Florida; you know how weird (and red) they are.
The world would be better off if we got rid of that stupid place.

That's right, I'm a Fla. turfer.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with this for the simple reason that I think they are victims. Look at what they are being told by the religious authorities: ...
Quote:
Here is a similar view from one Harold-Browne, "who was among evangelical leaders who laid hands upon and prayed over President Donald Trump in the Oval Office in 2017":
https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/...with-vaccines/

He differs with the view that this is a hoax produced by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and blames it instead on a hoax produced by The Rockefeller Foundation and Global Business Network. The objective in any case is to produce a fake vaccine that will kill people, reduce the population, and enable the creation of one World Government, which the climate change hoax apparently failed to do.

It's a creative combination of the conspiracy that COVID-19 is a scam, that climate change is a scam, promoting the anti-vax conspiracy, and promoting the "one world government" conspiracy, and disparaging charitable and medical institutions. It pretty much covers the whole gamut of lunatic right-wing conspiracy theories, although I suspect that Harold-Browne also has some interesting views on what really happened on 9/11, Obama's birthplace, and alien abductions. I should see if he offers a newsletter.

Yes, he's in Florida.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
That's right, I'm a Fla. turfer.
ISWYDT

Assholes like Dave Yost, the attorney general of Ohio, and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, have suddenly deemed abortions a non-essential health-care.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Too late.

It's already happened.

It just hasn't finished unfolding yet.
I don't know what to say to this. In some ways. In some ways it is on paper. The main thing is that the effect hasn't taken hold, so how could you tell? 6-8 weeks at home on the gov't dole will jack up the debt, but if things get back to relative normal in a manageable time frame, it might end up not amounting to more than that. Worse case scenarios, well we kind of have to wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Here is a similar view from one Harold-Browne, "who was among evangelical leaders who laid hands upon and prayed over President Donald Trump in the Oval Office in 2017":

He differs with the view that this is a hoax produced by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and blames it instead on a hoax produced by The Rockefeller Foundation and Global Business Network. The objective in any case is to produce a fake vaccine that will kill people, reduce the population, and enable the creation of one World Government, which the climate change hoax apparently failed to do.

It's a creative combination of the conspiracy that COVID-19 is a scam, that climate change is a scam, promoting the anti-vax conspiracy, and promoting the "one world government" conspiracy, and disparaging charitable and medical institutions. It pretty much covers the whole gamut of lunatic right-wing conspiracy theories, although I suspect that Harold-Browne also has some interesting views on what really happened on 9/11, Obama's birthplace, and alien abductions. I should see if he offers a newsletter.

Yes, he's in Florida.
That's a lot of crazy all rolled up into one. I guess there is a powerful need for denial in some folks? It is too bad though- it will be hard to deny when grandma is coughing up blood and drowning on her own snot, though probably not impossible to blame on liberals.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
it will be hard to deny when grandma is coughing up blood and drowning on her own snot, though probably not impossible to blame on liberals.
Really?

The disease will be the fault of godless liberals, just like hurricanes and whatnot, and grandma is collateral damage in the punishment doled out by God. And anyway, she's in Heaven getting her just reward.

The playbook already exists for blaming everybody else, even when it makes no God damned sense.

Denial is never hard for these folks. Epistemic closure is a scary beast.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 03-25-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
ISWYDT

Assholes like Dave Yost, the attorney general of Ohio, and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, have suddenly deemed abortions a non-essential health-care.
Abortions are "essential health-care"?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post

Yes, he's in Florida.
Someone please explain to me why this person is not immediately confined to a mental institution for his own safety, and especially for the safety of others that he is going to kill?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
This woman nearly died because a Catholic hospital was too reluctant to perform an abortion.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 PM

That's a sad story. Doesn't show that abortions are "essential health care"
Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Are you saying that for her it was not essential?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 PM

You personally don't believe that abortion is basic health care? You require proof?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
(wish I got back sooner so this wouldn't look like a pile on, but he was addressing me, anyway) It's not too uncommon for life-theatening complications to occur during pregnancy, that yeah, might require an abortion.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 PM

Sending old folk out to die is the new essential healthcare amongst pro-lifers. Get with the program Trumpkateers.
I want to see those churches Packed come Easter.

EVERYONE should do their part, and die for their grandkids!

Last edited by Squink; 03-25-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a sad story. Doesn't show that abortions are "essential health care"
You'd rather that women die from problem pregnancies because abortions have been deemed non-essential? How about rape victims who got pregnant and can't have abortions because it's non-essential?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-25-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:24 PM

Christ, just don't fucking respond.

manson's not a troll, but he's just not qualified to talk about this issue and let's just accept his position as an uninformed one and move on.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:27 PM

Yes, when it comes to issues involving women there's no point in engaging.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Yes, when it comes to issues involving women there's no point in engaging.
Ah, so the git simply prefers women not exist in the first place except as a place to park his dick.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 AM

It always bothers me when folks try to justify abortions with saving the life of the mother or aborting because of rape. Fuck that. It's her body and she does not want it to be used at that time for growing a fetus. Period. That should be all the explanation anyone needs.

So yes, it is a necessary medical procedure that should be performed as soon as possible.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
It always bothers me when folks try to justify abortions with saving the life of the mother or aborting because of rape.
Or having to use that as an entry level explanation for certain individuals - a road I was hoping not to have to go down, in the first place.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Sending old folk out to die is the new essential healthcare amongst pro-lifers. Get with the program Trumpkateers.
C'mon, Grandma! Go with the floe!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are circumstances where continued pregnancy can kill the mother. In such cases, yes, abortions are essential health care. The fact that such circumstances are uncommon do not make them any less real.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Men are in no position to talk about abortion - full stop.

If a man wants to be part of a ground-breaking lab experiment that tries to get him pregnant and carry a child to term via a natural birth, then maybe at that time he can talk about abortion.

Until then, I really don't give a shit what someone with a penis has to say on the subject.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:54 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
That's cold, dude.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 AM

https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-healt...065819012.html
Quote:
Wilkes was 42 years old. She appears to have died 12 to 16 hours before her body was found in her home. Her four-year-old child was near her body when police found her. ... An autopsy is being conducted but the mother did not have any known underlying health conditions.
Only the elderly and those with underlying conditions are at risk. It is known! Trump wants the younger, healthy people to start working again, because you have to be over 60 or already suffering from an underlying condition to get a bad case of the virus. Maybe that WAS true, I don't think it is any more. Hospitals and families are reluctant to discuss deaths and hospitalizations, due to privacy laws and social stigma I imagine, but more and more I'm hearing of younger people being increasingly more ill and requiring medical intervention and even dying. Thinking that we can lock up senior citizens and have the rest of the country carry on may be more wrong than Trump knows.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Gaggle of Republicants think that the Coronavirus aid will make all those proles an even more irresponsible lot of scofflaws.

Quote:
“A massive drafting error in the current version of the coronavirus relief legislation could have devastating consequences: Unless this bill is fixed, there is a strong incentive for employees to be laid off instead of going to work,” GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Rick Scott (Fla.), Tim Scott (S.C.) and Ben Sasse (Neb.) said Wednesday in a statement, according to RawStory.
Riiiiiight, those crazy drafting errors (oops!)
(Hate it when that happens.)

Meanwhile, an unnamed reporter nicely sums it up:

Quote:
“I don’t know how to ask this without sounding like I’m being a smartass, and I’m not,” the reporter said. “But do you understand how bad the optics are to have probably the wealthiest person in the Senate potentially holding up this bill for a couple hundred bucks for some of the poorest people in this country?”
And of course to rebut, with this rich piece of down-home, greenish calf's diarrhea from Ben Sasse (R. Neb.):

Quote:
“If you go into any coffee shop in Nebraska ... and you say, ‘Do we as a people think what America wants to do is say, “Let’s have the federal government build a program that says we want to incentivize severing people’s work relationships?”’ Hell no!” he said.
And of course none of those people in said coffee shop would never ever have to worry about unemployment or getting sick. You see: they're too chosen, or something.

Ya, HELL NO!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Gaggle of Republicants think that the Coronavirus aid will make all those proles an even more irresponsible lot of scofflaws.
So let me see if I have this straight. GOP congresspeople believe that, if we don't extend aid to people who lose their jobs because of virus measures, that businesses won't actually lay them off? That businesses will just continue to pay people to do nothing while they have zero or greatly reduced revenue coming in?

Or do they believe people are laying themselves off out of choice, not because their employers are closed or crippled?

Personal responsibility = virus, schmirus, get back to work you slackers.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 AM

And as I've seen pointed out in multiple places - you don't get unemployment if you quit. So Lindsey's hypothetical nurse isn't going to quit her job with the increased odds of getting Covid-19 to sit at home and enjoy $600 a week, because she won't be eligible.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
And as I've seen pointed out in multiple places - you don't get unemployment if you quit. So Lindsey's hypothetical nurse isn't going to quit her job with the increased odds of getting Covid-19 to sit at home and enjoy $600 a week, because she won't be eligible.
They ought to be giving her an extra $1200 a week to stay on the job, then, and free health insurance for life. But no -- she knew what she signed up for when she took the job, right?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Basically Sasse and others are exposing how THEY would look at the world. This suggests the only reason they have, in their own lives, hustled and strived is because of ambition for wealth and power; but that if they were in the position of being stuck as a lowly minion, they would be looking to do maximum leeching off the productive members of the economy.

Besides, there's an easy solution for those who think unemployment compensation is so plush that people will rather stay on it than come back to the company. Increase worker pay.

But the way they completely leave aside that if you willingly quit or choose not to seek new employment, you do not qualify is no accident. It's part of a systematic project to establish in the base's consciousness that ALL of the Safety Net, whether vested or not (and remember, Unemployment and SocSec are PAID by taxes on the employment transaction, they are not gifts) is just undeserved welfare for lazy slackers, and if you end up suffering in destitution well just tough cookies, that's life, Jesus will take care of you after you die. Remember, these are people not just out to undo Obama or the Great Society, but out to undo the New Deal and if possible the Progressive Era.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Maybe that WAS true, I don't think it is any more.
Let's get this right out of the way. It was NEVER true.

The intimation that it only affects older people is based on false premises. Most of the ICU beds occupied for the virus currently are used by people under the age of 65.

Based on what we have seen over the last 3 months, it IS true that older people and people with underlying conditions appear to be at GREATER risk for serious symptoms or death. This has been consistently true.

Somehow, this became conflated (in typical human fashion) with the idea that being younger or having no underlying conditions posed NO risk for serious complications or even death. Lower risk is NOT the same as no risk but it has been treated this way by a lot of people.

So even if (and these numbers are totally out of the air for purposes of demonstration) that not being older or underlying complications poses a 0.1% risk of death or conditions serious enough to require hospitalization, 0.1% is NOT 0. The reason you see more stories of younger people dying is there are now MORE infected. 0.1% of 100 people is 1/10 of a person, i.e. no news stories about it. 0.1% of 100000 people is 100 people, i.e. you'll start hearing stories about them as more people are affected. And, of course, they can still spread the virus.

We already know people are bad at math. Unfortunately, this time it may cost some people their lives.

Last edited by Great Antibob; 03-26-2020 at 10:10 AM.