Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM

Have broken fast and filed a bunch of papers and folders that have been sitting around (and coincidentally found my stapler). Rain has stopped but more bad weather is predicted for the afternoon.

Boo fae, glad you passed, my car has a screen I can go to to check the battery strength, it's still good (only 2 years old), but I have had a battery go bad when I least expected it, so good you got it changed. And nut, hope it gets straightened out.

Everybody take care.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Cold and rainy today. Having an Old Fashioned. Gordie finally pooped today at 5.

W00T! Welcome back!
Film at eleven?

It was 32F and painfully bright when I took the dogs out at 7am this morning. It's 40f now.

We may run down to the hardware store today. (It's 6 blocks away). They have a 16' pressure treated 2x12 in their little lumberyard which is just the right amount to fix our front steps, but we don't have a good way to get from there to here and there was some problem with their saw. We may take our saw down there and cut it up in their yard so's we can fit the pieces in the back of our car. It'll cost about $30 more than if we go to Home Depot and get them to cut the pieces we need, but Home Depot is 45 miles away.

Brekkie is ready!

Later.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:04 PM

butters, Nelson had his bath over the weekend, along with a trim of his back nails He hated me for a couple of hours over the nail trim, but he's OK with baths.

boofae, is there a Wales that isn't Welsh?

I went out for groceries this morning. At Sprout's, what little of the bulk section with product, all of it had been pre-bagged (I like shopping the bulk bins and taking my own cotton drawstring bags), so I may as well shop at Publix or Kroger for the stuff I don't get at Aldi for the duration. I washed the baseboards and mopped the kitchen, laundry room, entry way and bathroom when I got home.

Talked to my dad on the way home and he said that his neighbor, who works at the Family Dollar in his tiny town offered to pick up anything he needed that they sold if he provided a list for her. He said he gave her a twenty and had her pick up milk, eggs and bread and told her to keep the change. <3 He knows that she has a family to feed on a tight budget. She left it on his porch so to limit contact with someone in an at risk population <3
Old 03-24-2020, 01:47 PM

Good afternoon all. I'm moving slow but I'm moving. Glad to be home.
Thought I'd walk the dogs this morning. I made it 20ft and had to come back. Not ready to do that just yet. I have no breath power. Don't know why.
Mid-daughter sent lil'wrekkers BF to find fruit. The oranges he found were Blood oranges. He also got very green bananas and grapes. He said the produce section was picked over pretty well.
No paper anywhere
He found 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol. Him and the lil'wrekker are planning on concocting their own hand sanitizer.

Mr.Wrekker went to job. Surprise, surprise. A company he helped startup. They, need his help shutting down. Non essential, I guess.
We're doing fine in this strange new world.

Y'all have a good evening.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-24-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:58 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Nap time is over and a late lunch is being consumed. We'll go outside in a little while. Daughter hasn't come home yet - dunno if her meeting ran long or if she's gone in search of the groceries I asked her to get. We shall find out eventually.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Yay! nellie has liquor. Party at her house.
Damn straight! Come on over! Everybody's wel--dang it, forgot the virus for a sec. Definitely NOT inviting COVID. He's such a downer.

I don't know WHY I'm like this about alcohol. I have a full bar cart because I rarely drink, yet I buy more and have no place to put it. I'm going to have to start having a daily cocktail, as my parents did. They usually had highballs. Anybody remember those?

I forgot to check in with my friends this morning, and they got worried. Yikes. I'm not used to being accountable to anyone.

Beck, glad you're moving a little. In a day or two, you'll hit 25 feet, then 30. General anesthesia + the shock to your system+ energy needed to heal = lasting fatigue. Just accept it and don't push TOO hard.

MetalMouse, if I run out of reading material, do you offer Dial-a-Story?

flyboy, I'm confused, and I'm sure it's due to my own stupidity. Isn't 20:00 8 pm? But the gov announced the orders at 5:30 PM, or..um...lessee...1730, right? Where am I erring?

red, thanks for the info. I'm going to look into getting one. Hope Nelson gets over the isolation blues.

As my parents used to say, things are tough all over. Hang in there, chums.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:51 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

nellie - you got the 24-hour times correct. Just add 12 to all times after noon. Easy-peasy!

Roxy played outside for a bit, then asked to come it - that was a surprise! Daughter still isn't home. I just hope she's not running all over the county looking for groceries.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM

nellieMy Daddy had highballs everyday. Then beer. Maybe martinis. More beer.
Next morning bloody Marys.
Yep. He drank too much.
Lived to 86yo. No appreciable health problems. He died of a fluke brain aneurysm. Instantly killed him.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
flyboy, I'm confused, and I'm sure it's due to my own stupidity. Isn't 20:00 8 pm? But the gov announced the orders at 5:30 PM, or..um...lessee...1730, right? Where am I erring?
The meeting was supposed to be about the West Seattle Bridge, and it was scheduled for eight. The stay-at-home order came between the announcement of the meeting, and the actual meeting.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I got a tin of Beach Cliff sardines in Louisiana hot sauce at the dollar store.

It was good.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 PM

I finally got our Census letters and took care of that. I had the best nap today. Love when a plan comes together. Supper shall be leftovers from last night.

I love being at home but if this drags on after Firday I can see getting cabin fever. When I am irk I want to be home and when at home I want to be at irk.

Our maid texted do we still want her to come tomorrow. We discussed and we do want her to come but will give her the choice. I feel we should pay her either way. Hubs can hide out in his downstairs office and I can help her and veg in the bedroom. I figure if we are gonna pay her anyway then let’s get something for the money. But, we decided to leave it up to her.

Crazy time we are in. Seems unbelievable still.

Be safe everyone. ETA Beck Nellie got it right. The last time I had surgery ( sinus ) it took me about two weeks to get over the anesthesia. And my surgery was not nearly as invasive as yours. Take your time. Don’t want to end back up in the horsepistol.

Last edited by Buttercup Smith; 03-24-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Johnny, sardines in hot sauce are good on a cracker and washed down with a cold can of lawn mower beer. Reminds me of camping and fishing while you're still in the boat.

Walked Nelson around the complex for half an hour between showers. I didn't want to get caught out on the greenway in a downpour. As it was, it was sprinkling before we got home. Miss Trixie, the beagle-dachshund neighbor barked hello out the door. His dog park bestie's human sent a video via text of Watson being goofy. Nelson recognized him and wagged his tail.

Tomorrow, I go into irk at noon. I have an appointment with the tax guy at 6:30 and, since I'm a little tired of my own cooking, I'll stop for takeout somewhere.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I love it when I find a good recipe. Supper tonight was based on a couple of recipes I saw on line. I sliced up a Polish sausage into a pile of rings. First I sauteed sliced onions in a little butter, then I tossed in the sausage and let it cook while I cut up cabbage. I dumped the cabbage and some water into the pan with the rest, put a lid on it, and let it cook till the cabbage was just past tender-crisp.

The seasonings in the sausage flavored the cabbage. It was quite good. Gotta ask my mom to pick up some more sausages for me when she gets a chance.

Now I want cake. Best I can hope for is an apple later. Alas...
Old 03-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I had a martini, in honor of National Cocktail Day. And did laundry.

nellie, I don't drink 'em, but they are really popular in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post
Film at eleven?
It was more log than film.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I got a tin of Beach Cliff sardines in Louisiana hot sauce at the dollar store.

It was good.
Mmmmmmmm, sardines on toast. If I could find something other than $10 artisan bread to toast.

Take it easy Beck. even minor surgury can take it out of you.

red, Welsh Wales, and the bit overun with the bloody English?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Evening all. 16 More pictures hung up and one other container unloaded and placed in...places. Rainlet up this afternoon, but it's back and there are tornado warnings just west of me now, so if this message ends suddenly...

Butters, I'd agree let her come over if you can give her enough room to work, the break in the monotony may be good for both of you.

FCM, presume daughter made it home for supper...

Just slowly ease into things, Becks; your system took a big change and it'll take a little time.

Hope the wood sawing went well, Bumba.

OK, need to stock dishwasher (it's been getting a lot more work recently) and then back to internettin'. All y'all take care.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:02 PM

Ugh. Today's Instacart order is also a botch. Shopper says she checked with the store before arrival and was told ApplePay was accepted. She got to the checkout and no, it wasn't. She's on hold with their alleged support line, I'm trying to contact Instacart on FB, and they are about to lose me as a customer permanently. This is (bleep) ridiculous. I have been waiting for some of these items for a WEEK.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:23 PM

Yep. I definatly not able to do much. We had a family dinner. The girls handled it. I couldn't help at all. I washed my duds from the hospital and had to rest for 30mins after.

Bear, the Siameezer has been on a tear all afternoon. He is just miserable and making the rest of the pets miserable. He finally got on the dryer in his bed. Every little bit he let's out a wail. Mid-daughter thinks something's wrong with him. I don't. I think he's just expressing his displeasure. But I'll watch and make sure he's peeing and pooping right. I know he's eating good. He stole his Sisters snack. She had to have another. Then he got pissed because I didn't give him a extra one. The little jerk.
Y'all have a good evening.
b.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 PM

I was wondering how your order came out Nettie

The pups have a friend coming over for a play date tomorrow morning.
They have been in and out all day long.

The dinner sounds good FCM

One of my window shades broke, the one that mostly faces the street, so I need to buy a new one.
Always something around here.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 03-24-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Bat boy, you drop by after awhile just to worry who's going to get sick? C'mom, stick around a little longer and tell us good things, not with the Negative waves...<grin>
By the powers, you're right! It was just an idle thought but it was a bit grim, wasn't it?

My life has been very blah, I don't share much of it online anymore as it's very samey and it gets me down a bit if I think about it too much. The weird thing about this lockdown quarantining thing is how little it impacts my daily life, and puts everyone in my boat for a while. Suddenly a great equaliser looms into view.

One positive thing is I wrote a silly rhyming story as a possible Children's Book idea, and have been teaching myself how to paint in Photoshop to illustrate it. So that's been fun, to put my disparate creative talents together into one project I can quietly noodle away on them for an hour or so each day.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 PM

Madonn'. Mother Nature doesn't like me. It was cloudy when I left for my walk, so I didn't take sunglasses. (My eyes are really light-sensitive, but I know I look weird wearing sunglasses when it's cloudy.) Five minutes after I left my place, it started raining. I put up my hood and soldiered on. A mile later, the sun came out. Seriously? No sunshine in the forecast. Now I'm hot AND my eyes hurt. I sucked it up. It got nice and cloudy again just before I got home.

On my five-mile walk, I came across 14 other pedestrians. The first twelve kept coming right at me, and I was the one who had to detour. The last two detoured. My downstairs neighbor keeps bringing over kids to hang with her teen-aged boy. And people wonder why this virus is spreading.

flyboy, that makes sense. I knew
there was something my tiny, tiny brain was missing (besides more brain).

It's National Cocktail Day? I should drink a cocktail. I have alcohol, but no mixers. Oo! A martini! Nah, not feeling it.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 PM

I gave up, left some nasty commentary on Instacart's FB page. I can shop the same store via Shipt, but prices are a little higher. Right now, I'll give them a fighting chance to actually get my goods to me (was able to get a next-day delivery slot!), so we'll see how that goes tomorrow. I also have a Walmart delivery planned for tomorrow. They've been a lot more dependable historically.

Bonus point: cramps (first time in at least 3 months).
Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

So I don't get my stealth helicopter.
Thanks, everyone for ponying up. I'll refund the dollar two ninety eight.

dammit
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Batboy..I feel you. I've been in a lockdown for months. It seems like years.

Someone asked me the other day if I always complained so much. I didn't think I was complaining so much. Just telling my travails.
I don't feel sorry for myself. I never have. I accepted my lot in life.
The COVID has thrown me a bit. I have a large extended family that I can't be around for fear of infection I most likely wouldn't live through. My immediate family are here. I worry about their futures.
Mr.Wrekker is in a vulnerable age group and shows no sign of sheltering in place.

I vow to not complain so much in future. ()

carni, I'm home so heliocopters aren't needed. Except for joyrides!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-24-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Ok, the liquor stores are still open. I know because I went in one today! It's my favorite store. I asked how business was and the dude grinned and said "Booming!"

Baskin-Robbins is open too, but only for taking out. They took down all their tables. There was a sign on the front door explaining the situation. The clerk told me they had left one table up, for the elderly while waiting for their order to be filled. But folks with kids kept setting there and getting rude when they couldn't sit and stay, so they took out the one last table. Some jerks are so entitled.

Our dog park is still open, if the weather is good tomorrow I'll take Mauser out.

Last edited by Baker; 03-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 PM

Mooooom, you call yourself Polish American and had never made kielbasa and cabbage? :faints: That was one of my go to meals when I was a broke college student and is still in rotation semi regularly.

$10 for a loaf of bread? doggio, you may have to learn to make some. (it's really not that hard)

nellie, I don't get it. You have whiskey, you have water, you have a drink. Nothing fancy required.

Nelson has a play date Saturday if the sun is shining. Watson's human has discovered a back way into the dog park and has gone. She said that they were the only ones there and no park attendant came around. I'm tickled.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Too bad that there aren't more Dopers around me. I'd make bread for us. Just this evening I made two loaves, one for my middle sister and one for my mom. It's James Beard's challah bread, one of my very favorites.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:00 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Red - in my family, it was sausage and sauerkraut. Not sure if that was just my grandparents' preference or typical of the region of their ancestry. Like with pierogi - my paternal grandmother made it with mint in the potatoes, but I've never encountered it made that way anywhere else. And my maternal grandmother never made it at all. So who knows?

FCD woke at 5, so I woke at 5. I have already breakfasted and I'm caffeinating while Alexa plays classical background music. SIL is off today but it's also supposed to rain. We can start putting together the parts for the swingset and assemble it outside when the weather breaks, whenever that happens.

I really need to get some groceries and I hate sending my daughter. She'll do fine with a list, but that loses me the freedom to see what else is on sale. Since I fall into the elderly category (who, me???) and with FCD still hoping his surgery happens next month, I can't risk either of us getting the bug. But there's no guarantee about sending Daughter, either. And I'm not having a stranger shop for me - dunno if such a service is available here anyway. Stoopit plague.

Um, Becks - you can complain all you want here. It's kinda part of the service the MMP provides - sounding board full of unsolicited and unwanted advice!

MetalMouse - she made it home in plenty of time because she didn't stop at the store. She drove right past it, then spent the rest of the commute going "Shouldn't I be passing F.L. soon?" She said she'd go today.

Thus begins my day. Happy Wednesday, all!!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 73 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 84 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. No big plans for the day. OYKW will make a trip to the Pubic Sto' for some provisions. I am all sinusy this mornin'. Thus I am sneezey and sniffly. I figure that is reason enough for me not to be out and about given the current situation. Don't want to give the appearance of bein' a plague carrier. We shall not be havin' any Holy Week or Easter services but there will be some livestream services available through the Diocese. I have an eye appointment on April 7th and a Doc appt. on April 14th. So far those are still scheduled. Weird times in which we live!

Oh well, we shall come through this, right? Now I am in need of more caffeine and rumbly tummy is demandin' I provide sustenance. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Hump Day Y'all!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 AM

Up, sheveled, caffeinating, breakfasting and fixing to RSVP my census invite. I'll be headed into the plant for four hours today, which should be a trip, considering that the Monday reports are now Wednesday reports, I'll be doing the old bat's reports and trying to wrap up my queue by the weekend for EoM. Interesting times we're living in.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
So I don't get my stealth helicopter.
Thanks, everyone for ponying up. I'll refund the dollar two ninety eight.

dammit

Ahem.

I kicked in twent-five bucks!

~VOW
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 AM

Morning all. 52F after all the rain, heading to 62F, but predictions for near 80F by the end of the week. Nothing outside planned for today, more sorting and putting away of stuff is the major thing on the agenda. Working on a Big Bowl O'Cheerios for breaking fast.

Bat boy, hope I wasn't too harsh on you; and this thread is for mundane things anyway (weather, what you're eating). Just your being here is great.

nettie, hope you get supplied.

Like you, swampy, I have the sniffles, so not going too far from a Kleenex box, but rather not give folks the vapors, so I'll stay away today.

Everybody have a good hump day.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-25-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Well, I get a free extension of 6 months on the MOT, I'm sure you were all worried. Now I just need to get the keys back from the neighbour, or possibly not, as the handbrake does actually need looking at.

Cupcake, you could always share the recipes instead of actual bread, I know I'm planning on doing a bit more baking than usual! Just made scones, in fact; they don't look very good, but it is my first try. They taste OK, and no-one else is looking
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Two Loaves of Challah Bread

.75 ounces yeast (7-1/2 teaspoons)
1-1/3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons soft butter
3 eggs
5-1/2 cups flour(28-1/4 ounces)

This recipes can be done by hand. I usually do it in a mixer at work, with a dough hook. If you don't use a mixer you will have to knead by hand until dough is smooth and elastic, probably around ten minutes.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl. Add salt, sugar, butter and eggs, and mix around. Add flour gradually and mix it in with dough hook. Mix at a medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover bowl and allow to rise until double in size, around ninety minutes I like to put it in my unlit oven with a pan of steamy water. You'd have to warm the water again every so often. If your kitchen is warm this won't be needed, but keep the dough from drying out with the damp cloth cover. Divide risen dough into two loaves and shape as desired. You can do as a longer tapered loaf, or braided. If you do the latter divide the loaf dough into three or four parts, depending on the braid you want, and let them relax a little before stretching them out for the braids. When loaves are formed brush them with beaten egg wash, and allow to rise, around sixty minutes, or a little more. Bake at around 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown. Cool before cutting.

Any questions, let me know. I've done this recipes so many times over the years that I probably have left out points.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:15 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Ahem.

I kicked in twent-five bucks!

~VOW
Gotta receipt, Pal?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM

Happy Hump Day!

It's cold and rainy.

Playdate for the pups is over. Everyone had a good time.
I wish it had been nicer outside, as my living room is a bit small for them to play.
We went out back for a while, but it was a bit cold to stay out for too long.
Echo cried when they left.
I think if she had her way, we'd all live in the same house like one big happy family.

I wish we could sneak into the dog park, but the gate is locked.
Somebody on FB took a pic of the locked gate, and of the empty park, and then of the crowded basketball court.
No fence around that.
There is another dog park in the city, I don't know if it is closed. I haven't been there but I hear it's not as nice.
The fence is only 3 feet high, there is no cage at the gate, no benches, no trees, no shade, no water fountain.

Don't feel bad Batboy, I have no life either. Although I kind of enjoy it that way.
The annoyance for me is that I can't go to the dog park (an acre just for the big dogs, where everybody can easily stay 6 feet apart), but now I have to go to the grocery store because there is no online delivery or pickup.
Going to the dog park is the highlight of my day - how sad is that?
Now I have to go to the store, which I hate with a passion.

So we can't meet up with people we know in a big outdoor area, but we can congregate with a bunch of strangers indoors.

We always had kielbasa with sauerkraut, not cabbage. I might have liked it with cabbage.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I ventured forth to WalMart, and it was an excellent decision!!! Not very crowded at all, and fairly well stocked with most of what I needed. Plenty of ground beef, so I got 6#. There are now 4# divided among 4 bags in the freezer, and the rest was made into burgers for tonight's supper. I also got a 3# package of American cheese slices, because I refuse to buy processed American Cheese Food Like Product, or whatever it is they call those nasty singles. And since I have one of those vacuum-sealer gizmos, I divided the cheese into 4 hermetically sealed packs, so it should last a good long time.

I did have to run by Food Lion for tortillas since I wanted the small ones and Wally only had the burrito size. And I took advantage of the stop to get some bread for the freezer. Glad I didn't start there, tho - their meat case was still really picked-over.

Groceries are stowed, I've lunched, and I'm pretty sure I didn't catch plague. Plus I defied the odds - I shopped while hungry and didn't pick up and frivolous items. Go me!

Still raining, tho. Dammit.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:49 AM

Afternoon, mumpers! Busy day here at WorkAtHome Towers. I had a couple of skype things, then a long discussion and fixing session with remote IT because I've had so many problems getting access to things through our VPN wossname. Seems to be fixed now, I have a private personal shortcut on my desk top so I'll be interested to see if it's still there tomorrow when log in again.

metalmouse - I wouldn't be at all surprised if my car had something to tell me the battery strength, but that would involve getting the manual out and looking for it! There's whole loads of stuff on the display that I haven't bothered to work out yet. I had to get the manual out a few months back to work out how to change the clock...now I've got to do it all again this weekend!

red, there's Wales and then there are the real heartlands that are more Welsh than the rest!

Dinner last night was chicken curry made by my beloved. Tonight it's my turn so I'm making leek and bacon tartiflette because I've got the makings, and some spuds need to be used up. Other than that, all quiet on the Western Front!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I rubbed a bone-in pork shoulder with my pork rub, and put it in the oven. Usually I do this when I get up in the morning if I'm making pulled pork. I completely forgot until Mrs. L.A. asked me if I was making it today. Anyway, I put it in at 08:40. It's been in less than an hour. We should be able to eat around five.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:38 AM

I'm not even Polish and I know all about sausage and cabbage. I bought chopped cabbage (aka coleslaw) cuz I have a gnawin and a craving for The Colonel's slaw. There are lots of copycat recipes out there. I haz a sad because today is Ariel's birthday (she's 19) and I can't visit her. I started crying this morning about it. Dinner tonight is baked chicken drumsticks and sallit.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Gotta receipt, Pal?

Let me see....hmmmm...*shuffling electronic paperwork*...

AHA!

Post #39, Beck's bad bad etc anxiety...

~VOW
Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM

Still awaiting provisions, two deliveries expected today. WalMart has already advised me that the sandwich rolls I wanted are out of stock, but it looks like they had everything else I ordered. I can either tackle making sandwich rolls (I've got time (smile)) or simply eat sandwiches on some other bread, so NBD. At least the salad was in stock, which will be a relief to DH. As for the Shipt order, it has been claimed by a shopper, so we shall see.

I'm mostly feeling better today, except for still having that slight heaviness on the upper chest, but I can take a deep breath more comfortably, and other symptoms are calming down. Still going to stay put for the two-week duration advised by medical professionals, though. I have enough high-risk co-workers that I think it would be irresponsible to go back sooner.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM

We decided to have the maid come on as normal and she was really appreciative as she had had many cancellations thus lost money. Hubs stayed in his office and me and Buddy in the bedroom. We had social distancing when I did see her. So clean house and no laundry. I cooked some more skettie noodles and used up the leftover sauce for lunch. Tonight we are getting delivery from the good place as we want to support them during this weird time.

I was sent an email to shut down the little gym at irk so that is done. It was all gyms region wide. I have directed my girl to post signs about our closure starting on Friday. There are now 8 confirmed cases in the whole of the Keys. Seven are travel related which means one is community spread. Time to hunker down.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited by Buttercup Smith; 03-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I'm mostly feeling better today, except for still having that slight heaviness on the upper chest, but I can take a deep breath more comfortably, and other symptoms are calming down. Still going to stay put for the two-week duration advised by medical professionals, though. I have enough high-risk co-workers that I think it would be irresponsible to go back sooner.
Have you been tested?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I love it when I find a good recipe. Supper tonight was based on a couple of recipes I saw on line. I sliced up a Polish sausage into a pile of rings. First I sauteed sliced onions in a little butter, then I tossed in the sausage and let it cook while I cut up cabbage. I dumped the cabbage and some water into the pan with the rest, put a lid on it, and let it cook till the cabbage was just past tender-crisp.

The seasonings in the sausage flavored the cabbage. It was quite good. Gotta ask my mom to pick up some more sausages for me when she gets a chance.

Now I want cake. Best I can hope for is an apple later. Alas...
Heh. Great minds and all that. We had German beer brats and steamed cabbage for dinner last night. Twas good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Hope the wood sawing went well, Bumba.
It didn't. It actually rained here! Maybe today. Maybe not.

The Gov has issued a 'stay home' order 'cause so many people were at the beach over the weekend not socially distancing. Jackasses. Also a bunch of the mayors in the west end of the state, who can't seem to grasp the fact that large parts of the state aren't like their cities, whined to her about it. It would make more sense if she just said "If you live in a city, stay home" and left the rest of us alone. Most of us out here in the boonies are already (mostly) antisocial.

Well, we've got a little chunk of kielbasa left over, so I think I'll make an omelette for brekkies.

Later.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM

Carni you are a goof. ()
Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Have you been tested?
I don't qualify for testing. 50yo, no pre-existing health problems, not working in healthcare or law enforcement, no known contact with a tested positive. Never mind having all the symptoms except fever (which is rare for me during any illness anyway). Oh well. At least I'm feeling better and DH is showing no symptoms of illness.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Good you're feeling better.

I'll go get the makings for coleslaw to go with the pulled pork after work. Mrs. L.A. has requested escargots for dinner tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM

We did have to swap a couple of items and skip a couple due to stock issues, but I was expecting that. Let's see how soon my supplies arrive .
Old 03-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Both deliveries have arrived smoothly. Shipt may well be worth the additional cost for better performance. I do wonder why Walmart has not worked out some way around requiring a quarantined customer to handle the delivery person's phone to sign for the order. I did make sure the nice young lady knew about the situation and urged her to clean her phone after I touched it.

Under current circumstances, I can live with the occasional out-of-stock on food items, or the occasional need to substitute a different brand/variety. I wasn't ordering anything where getting the EXACT item was vital to life or health, after all.

Will be nice when the frenzy calms down and grocery stores can catch up on inventory.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 PM

The seal on the bottom of the bread machine pan has been problematic for a while. (I mentioned my most recent "successful" attempt at fixing it in a thread here.)

Turns out my usual fix doesn't work anymore. There's a real problem.

Looking on eBay for a replacement pan turns up overpriced beaters that are similar but maybe not identical ones.

I discuss the matter with Mrs. FtG. She's against the whole idea of getting a replacement pan. Says she'll just use the stand mixer. But her two attempts at making dough with that recently did not go well.

I saw a good, matching, one at a reasonable price come up on eBay. I told we have the money, I'm getting it. Plus it might come in handy with the current situation in stores.

It arrived Monday. Tuesday she made cinnamon rolls with it.

Right, no reason to get a new pan. Nope. None at all.