Old 03-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Afternoon all. Nettie, glad the supplies made it. And very glad you're feeling better.

Becks carnivorous plant is known as flytrap, not carni (although I admit it's not a bad moniker).

Went out for a bit because I was feeling cooped up, stopped at Wendy's and picked up a burger and fries, so dinner has been et early. Also got a postcard in the mail titled "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines for America" which, while I have opinions on the title, does provide useful information on the other side. Expect most of you will be getting one.

62F and sunny outside. Rain tomorrow but temperatures near 80F.

All y'all take care.

ETA--lead on both pages 2 and 3; didn't plan it that way but there you are.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-25-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:46 PM

Waiting on food delivery. I awoke from my afternoon nap hungry. I could get used to this staying home business. I knew the delivery would not be quick so hopped in the shower. This is not fast food. The news is just depressing and that’s all hubs want to watch. I shall isolate even further with NetFlix and chilling in the bedroom. I can only take so much bad news.

Yay Nettie for getting your orders. I have used Shipt once and reserve the right to use it again. The prices are considerably higher here but every thing is higher here anyway. I used when I had the flu last summer and boy was it handy.

Happy end of hump day.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:58 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I can't watch the news either, especially when the Cheeto-in-Chief is blathering. But earlier today, my daughter was streaming our governor's update on the situation. OMG - that's what leadership sounds like!!!

I made zucchini fries but they were really bland. FCD said I should have used Old Bay - I'll try that next time. The burgers were pretty good, tho.

And now I'm waiting for SIL to empty the dishwasher so I can reload it. Never-ending chore...
Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I can't watch the news either, especially when the Cheeto-in-Chief is blathering. But earlier today, my daughter was streaming our governor's update on the situation. OMG - that's what leadership sounds like!!!

I made zucchini fries but they were really bland. FCD said I should have used Old Bay - I'll try that next time. The burgers were pretty good, tho.

And now I'm waiting for SIL to empty the dishwasher so I can reload it. Never-ending chore...

You wanna talk BLAND.

Since his "Widowmaker" heart attack, Mr VOW has been on a no-salt diet.

No convenience foods, no mixes, no canned (unless it says low- or no-sodium), no fast food, no prepared food. We're all eating a lot of fresh and frozen foods, which means I spend a good part of the day in the kitchen.

No more cream of mushroom soup! Sob! I ordered a lot of no-salt broth from Amazon, and I get to make all the gravies and sauces. We're almost out of Wondra...and so is the rest of the world, as well.

We are living with The Daughter, The Son-in-law, and their kids. By default, EVERYBODY eats no-salt. And we have surprisingly gotten used to it. The first two bites are, "Oh, how flat! This is blah!" But then the flavors come through, and you find yourself saying, "Hey, this is pretty damn good stuff!"

Hint: put a squirt of lemon on those zucchini fries!

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 03-25-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 PM

wet one, I'm guessing Ariel's birthday will come and go without her knowing the difference. Still, for you, once you can see her, take her a birthday treat.

Mooooooooooom, I'm with you on the blithering idiot blather on and on. I like listening to the Kentucky governor's messages, as they're calming and informative.

VOW, sauté some diced mushrooms and make a simple white sauce for the CoM soup. Much better.

I irked half a day today and will irk full days for the rest of the week. I'll get out of miss EoM this month (awwwwwww…..) but will have all of my queue cleared, with maybe only one holdout that I can pass to the weekend guy. Their count this weekend will tell the tale of my missing home chargers.

Doing a zoom / copy and email docs for taxes at 6:30 this evening. Other than that, same old, same old.

Last edited by missred; 03-25-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM

I got a call from the oncologist's office. I found a breast lump a week ago and got the soonest appointment: tomorrow. But they're not seeing patients now except for emergencies. So the nurse practitioner will call me tomorrow instead. She'll determine if it's an emergency. Well, of COURSE it's not an emergency. I had a mammogram 10 months ago, but I'm hoping she'll order one, though maybe the imaging center is only taking emergency cases, too. I just don't want to sit around worrying the cancer is back for the next however many months until the pandemic is over.

My eye doc's office is also closed except for emergencies. I wonder how many non-emergency medical conditions will turn into something serious or even fatal due to the virus and very necessary shutdowns.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 PM

Happy Birthday Ariel!

Glad you got your groceries Nettie.
I hope that by the time I need more everything is more or less back to normal, and that I can order online again.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I spent a rather restful day in da cave. OYKW went to the Pubic Sto' for comestibles. He said they were pretty well stocked food wise and found a good deal on some salmon steaks. They shall be for sup on Firday as we are doin' the meatless on Firday thang durin' Lent. We have decided that tomorrow shall be majik intartoobz pizza day, just cause.

Nettie glad you got your order. I've never tried an online order and delivery for groceries. Might consider givin' that a go just to see how it does in these parts.

[b]{{{WetOne}}} sorry you didn't get to see Ariel today.

Nellie I keep expectin' to get a call from the eye doc cancellin' my appointment in April.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I was a little disappointed to see how much fat was in the pork shoulder when I pulled it out of the oven after seven and a half hours. I poured off 2 cups of drippings. I poured off the drippings, and poured some of it over the roast. Then I put it under the broiler for several minutes.

Yeah, it had a lot of fat. But the bones were small. It was really tender and juicy. It turned out very well.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Still no chicken to be had so it's chicken flavored Chex soupspaghetti with meatballs tonight. I had a Manahattan since it's #whiskeyWednesday

Quote:
I'm in the news and politics camp. I like to drink and MST3K his blatherings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
I got a call from the oncologist's office. I found a breast lump a week ago and got the soonest appointment: tomorrow. But they're not seeing patients now except for emergencies. So the nurse practitioner will call me tomorrow instead. She'll determine if it's an emergency. Well, of COURSE it's not an emergency. I had a mammogram 10 months ago, but I'm hoping she'll order one, though maybe the imaging center is only taking emergency cases, too. I just don't want to sit around worrying the cancer is back for the next however many months until the pandemic is over.

My eye doc's office is also closed except for emergencies. I wonder how many non-emergency medical conditions will turn into something serious or even fatal due to the virus and very necessary shutdowns.
{{{{nellie}}}}
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM

nellie, the lil'wrekker needed an allergy shot. We called Monday. No dice only emergencies. This morning they called and told her to come on in. Told her the protocol for getting in. It was PITA getting around with social distancing. She said every person had hazmat suits on. But she was able to get it done.
You may have to jump through hoops. Keep pushing them. Tell them how concerned you are.
Good luck.

b.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat;22210539
[B
Becks[/B] carnivorous plant is known as flytrap, not carni (although I admit it's not a bad moniker).
Do NOT dis Beck!
You will have killer Simonize cats, and giant Dionaea muscipula at your door.
You must sleep some time!

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 03-25-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: To add interst and verisimilitude to an other wise bland narrative.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Carni* is a personal nickname I added on my own. I will endeavor to remember I'm in the MMPs from here on out. So sorry.

*nickname () aka: flytrap
Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 PM

Thanks so much for the hugs and advice. Living alone as I do, I have no one else to do that, or to tell me to knock it off, count my blessings, etc. I mean, I do it, but when do I ever listen to me?

I'm pretty good at being a polite, kindly PITA, or so I'm told. I'll try that tomorrow. If I could just send in my boob and leave the rest of me outside, I'd be happy to do that, but these things ain't stuck on with Velcro. I checked the imaging center website, and it says per the CDC, NO screening mammograms for the duration. I'm thinking this'd be a diagnostic mammogram, though, wouldn't it be?

I'm trying not to worry about it. So many people have SO much more bad stuff to deal with than this.

Sorry I was so all-about-me earlier. I've read all the posts and so enjoy catching up on your daily lives.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:42 PM

Nellie Can you request your Doc make it a Diagnostic mam?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

My internet connection crapped out again last week so I had to use my phone for the connection so I could work. The good news is 5G is faster than LTE, but hours of use really chewed into my monthly data plan to the point I got a text warning me about the heavy use.

It was off and on yesterday, and fully off today. The guy from AT&T was working on my line for two hours before showing up, figuring he could do disruptive work like disconnecting wires to clean connections as he could tell the service was down. He even got rid of wasp nests in the wiring. Hopefully his efforts remain successful as my lines came up faster than they ever were. Apparently the spot where the wasps were had been a poor connection for years.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Thanks so much for the hugs and advice. Living alone as I do, I have no one else to do that, or to tell me to knock it off, count my blessings, etc. I mean, I do it, but when do I ever listen to me?

I'm pretty good at being a polite, kindly PITA, or so I'm told. I'll try that tomorrow. If I could just send in my boob and leave the rest of me outside, I'd be happy to do that, but these things ain't stuck on with Velcro. I checked the imaging center website, and it says per the CDC, NO screening mammograms for the duration. I'm thinking this'd be a diagnostic mammogram, though, wouldn't it be?

I'm trying not to worry about it. So many people have SO much more bad stuff to deal with than this.

Sorry I was so all-about-me earlier. I've read all the posts and so enjoy catching up on your daily lives.

You are absolutely allowed to wallow!

I have been suggesting for years that boobs be attached by velcro. Think of it: you could drop them off for a mammogram, pick them up later; you could "put the baby to bed with a boob;" or you could hand your boobs to your husband and say, "If I'm not there in 15 minutes, start without me."

If times were normal, you'd get another mammogram, and perhaps an ultrasound. I had a problem several years ago, and that was the course of action. I was essentially told to ease up on the coffee drinking.

Best thoughts headed your way!

~VOW
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 PM

I could handle having them attached by Velcro. Just hand them to DH and tell him to play with them while I take a nap.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 58 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 87 and N.O.S. for the day. No big plans for the day other than orderin' and pickin' up a majik intartoobz pizza. Just another day of shelter in place.

I think Detachable Boobs would be a great band name!

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, as always, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Thursday Y'all!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 AM

Happy Thorsday!

I got up too early because of the asshole cat. He came into my bedroom crying, I thought he needed to go out so I got up.
Get all the way downstairs and he is nowhere to be found.

Echo is walking around crying because she cannot understand why we aren't getting ready to leave.
I'm taking advantage of this time to irk extra hours. I'll probably do something in the yard today, if the weather is nice.

For Swampy and Nettie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUk08iYZKE and whoever else wants to listen

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 03-26-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

One of the items I found at WalMart yesterday was Polaner All Fruit Cherry. For those unaware, the All-Fruit products are like preserves, but they're made with fruit juice instead of sugar, and they are very yum!! Anyway, breakfast this morning was multi-grain bread with PB and the cherry spread. OMG!!! Great way to start the day!!

It's in the 30s now, but it's supposed to hit 60 today and be mostly sunny. I'll be moving my spider plants out to the porch since I don't expect any freezing any more this year. And at a minimum, I'll feed the azaleas in the front, so when it rains again, they'll get num-nums.

FCD has to go to Baltimore today to meet with his vascular surgeon. He had a teleconference with his orthopedist yesterday. And so far, he's still on schedule, barring an emergency overload at the hospital. He did find out, tho, that I won't be allowed to be there. Dammit. So I'll be hanging with my mom, worrying about him instead of sitting in the lobby worrying about him.

On the plus side, he finally remembered to ask the doc for pain meds. HUZZAH!!

As for my appointments, I've got a checkup/bloodwork review scheduled on Apr 22, but I won't be surprised if they change it. We shall see...

Happy Thursday!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Good morning all

Usually I just lurk in the back ground, but the current situation, and how we are all dealing with it, has prompted a post. I am not in a category that would allow working from home. Unfortunately I am also in the high risk group due to age and previous medical history.

Three days ago I made a very rare stop at the company headquarters for supplies and found a laminated letter in my message box with a post it note from the boss telling me to keep it with me at all times. The opening paragraph states:
Quote:
The individual in possession of this letter is a "critical infrastructure industry employee" of the Fire and Life Safety Industry and should be considered exempt from all local restrictions such as curfews, shelter-in-pace orders and other mobility restrictions when reporting to, returning from, or performing his or her work functions. We ask that you allow this individual to continue with his or her job ib the interest of protecting public health and security.
In this culture of sanitizing everything around you and avoiding germs and bacteria, I spent the next day at the city sewage treatment plant testing all of the building fire alarms.

Yesterday I spent the day working at the worst of the Public Housing Authority towers to continue in the never ending job of keeping the fire alarm working in the face of almost constant vandalism perpetrated by the residents. Not only is this place a filthy, nasty bedbug ridden place, shootings and stabbings are a regular occurrence there.

Yesterday afternoon I spoke to my direct supervisor (who is working from home in his jammies) about this. He said that they had not really realized the risk factors of my schedule and that they were going to make some changes. Today I am working at some lower risk service calls.

All of this has me considering bringing my retirement date forward. As of now I am 176 days and a wake up until retirement.

Sorry for the rant, but this seemed like a place to vent.

Stay safe all!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 AM

Found the asshole cat, he was already outside. I guess he woke my son up and he put him out.

The dogs are chasing each other around the circle in my house (I have two doors between the living room and kitchen). I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have hardwood floors.

I get emails everyday from both my doctor and the medical center. It's mostly the same bs over and over, but I read them anyway just in case there is something I need to know. No visitors at the medical center, and all visits are teleconference unless it is an emergency. Pretty much, unless you are dying, go away.
I'm annoyed with my doctor wanting to see me every three to four months anyway, so I'm more than happy to comply.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

This is a perfect place to vent, and may I say, your boss sounds like a jerk.

As for retirement, I highly recommend it.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
This is a perfect place to vent, and may I say, your boss sounds like a jerk.

As for retirement, I highly recommend it.
I agree and should we name him Hippie?

I wish I could retire, a few more years and I think I can.
Maybe.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks FCM
Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 AM

Hippie it is, Sari, and I hope his job gets less dangerous in the near future.

On the detachable boob question, I have no comment (at least not one that would be proper here...)

Becks, wasn't trying to be a PITA, just thought you might not know all the Mumper names yet (I once made a list, was over 40 names when I lost it).

{{nellie}}; hope they decide that your need is diagnostic.

52F right now, but supposed to cross the 80F mark today and the rain has disappeared from the forecast, so another nice day shot to heck. May go over to Wal-Mart for a few things, help the economy keep movng and all that, but probably be inside most of the day.

Everybody be well now.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM

When does this bunch ever worry about propriety?

Hoping to go back to bed soon, was awakened by coughing up something that tasted a bit like stomach acid (I do have this problem occasionally since long before COVID).
Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
One of the items I found at WalMart yesterday was Polaner All Fruit Cherry. For those unaware, the All-Fruit products are like preserves, but they're made with fruit juice instead of sugar, and they are very yum!! Anyway, breakfast this morning was multi-grain bread with PB and the cherry spread. OMG!!! Great way to start the day!!

Another vote for Polander all fruit cherry!

Along with no salt, we're also watching calories for Mr VOW. His favorite jam is cherry, and the regular stuff has more sugar than fruit. So I bought a case of Polander cherry from da Jungle.

He's had to make so many drastic changes to his life, I try my best to do what I can to give him the little boosts, like finding a good cherry jam to put on his toast.

BTW, he's lost THIRTY pounds since his heart attack!

~VOW
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

VOW - FCD is trying to shed some poundage before his surgery, and Polaner is a great help to him. Tho the biggest challenge is getting him to quit snacking in the evening. I try to make sure he has a variety of crudités in the fridge, but he'll still grab cheese and crackers. Altho since switching from keto to a diabetic-exchange program, he's doing better. Neither of us could handle the fatty keto dishes very well.

In fact, since switching back, I've dropped another 5# - yay!! I expect to hit my first goal before summer, and maybe the next goal before the end of the year.

Roxy went down for an early nap. We were watching her favorite video and she was on my lap, sucking her fingers - the sign that she's sleepy. I've tidied the kitchen, and now I've got to find one of FCD's Dr bills that needs to be paid. It's somewhere in this pile of paper by my elbow. The hunt is on!!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 10:34 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

FCD just called from Baltimore - his appointment had been canceled, but no one bothered to call and tell him. I think they owe him for the gas and the tunnel tolls!

Roxy's nap was short-lived - about 40 minutes. She and I shared some veggie soup and I think I'll dress her and take her outside for a while.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM

Re: Foodage

Johnny L.A., pork shoulder is always fatty. And the flavor is so damn gooood. I quit Vegetarianism because of da pig!

missred, I bought a supply of no salt chicken broth and no salt beef broth. For the Shepherd's Pie, I made a roux with unsalted real butter and Wondra, and used the beef broth.

After I used the last of the Wondra, I hurried to my tablet to buy more. And apparently there was a drought of Wondra across the Internet! Fortunately, my Amazon home page waved Wondra in front of my face two days later, so I bought four cans!

~VOW
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 AM

Metal mouse, I never thought you were being a PITA.

hippie is a good name for longhair75, good luck with your job. Keep washing your hands as much as you can.

FCM, that's a bummer they didn't call about the appointment. The jerks!!

Have a good afternoon all!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Metal mouse, I never thought you were being a PITA.
Make note: Must try harder **(reviews spidey's and flytrap's posts**

FCM, I'd be mad too if I went all that distance to find it cancelled without being notified; hope that someone calls quickly with and apology and a re-scheduled appointment.

nettie, I know the taste you mean, not pleasant at all..

Went over to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things (keep the economy working, but safely). Maintained proper distancing (2 cart lengths) and got the tomatoes and salad bags I wanted (also got some Kleenex, bread was in stock, and shelves were pretty well filled, but TP--not a hint of it. Inside now, a big bowl O'Sallit had been consumed, so general quarantining will be the order of the day (and a beautiful day--72F now and lots of sunshine--might even go out and move stuff around the garage.

Have a good afternoon all.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

SIL has been put on admin leave until further notice. He'll still be paid, which is good, but he'll be here, so I can put him to work. Tomorrow, he's going to build Roxy's swing set, under FCD's supervision. And I'm thinking next week, we'll do the attic - I want it emptied, then we'll put down some floor boards. We'll sort thru the stuff that's up there and decide what to keep and what goes, then put the keepers back in some sort of order. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours.

I took Roxy out to play for a while, but now we're back inside, and she's starting to act tired. I see a real nap in short order. Daughter has a teleconference any time now to discuss what's going on at her school.

Meanwhile, I need to make sure I have enough to feed 4 adults and a toddler for supper tonight. I pulled out some ham because I thought it was a smaller package. I foresee N.O.T.s as a filler. <pose of woe> It's so hard being me...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 PM

I have to find something to do with the dogs. They are too wound up while I am irking.

Just had somebody come to the door, I'm expecting a few packages from da jungle, and the dogs went crazy.
I asked my son to get the package and he said there wasn't one.
No package, but somebody left some flowers. Came with a card that says 'thinking of you', no signature, no florist name.
My address but not my name.
Finally figured out it belongs to the neighbor two doors up, whoever wrote out the envelope has horrible hand writing.
I can't imagine it is from her bf, he used to deliver pizza and I'm sure he knows her correct address because he has delivered pizza here.
I wonder who delivered it because florists usually have their name somewhere. It looks like the flowers you would pick up at the grocery store, live flowers in a pot.

A mystery.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
SIL has been put on admin leave until further notice. He'll still be paid, which is good, but he'll be here, so I can put him to work. Tomorrow, he's going to build Roxy's swing set, under FCD's supervision. And I'm thinking next week, we'll do the attic - I want it emptied, then we'll put down some floor boards. We'll sort thru the stuff that's up there and decide what to keep and what goes, then put the keepers back in some sort of order. It shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 hours.
2 or 3 hours? HAHAHAHAHahaha.wheeze! You so funnee!

It was 25F at 7:30 this morning when I took the dogs out. It's 39F now. Don't know what's on the schedule for today. We may make a run up to The Dalles (that's a bigger town north of here), Or not.

Dinner tonight will be chicken fajitas, if we can find something approximating taco seasoning. Our 'getaway mansion' has a few deficiencies.

Later.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Johnny L.A., pork shoulder is always fatty.
I've never had one that fatty!

Since I'm working from home, it's the end of the month so things are slow, and since I wanted to avoid the rush, I drove down to Bellingham this morning to go to Trader Joe's when they opened. They're limiting entry, and people have to stand in line (with six-foot markers) to wait to get in. It moved pretty quickly. I got a case of Chardonnay for the wife, and a case of red blend for me. And a bottle of sangria, why not. I got two Cobb salads. I haven't had one for a week, and I always have one Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mrs. L.A. can have one. Triple-cream brie, smoked Gouda, Beeker's cheddar, Parmigiano-Reggiano (I graded the last of the last block the other day), frozen shrimp, Pound Plus chocolate for Mrs. L.A., Green Dragon sauce, two tins of smoked herrings, and a bouquet of flowers.

And I filled up the Prius, since it was almost out of gas. $2.42/gallon.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbazine View Post
2 or 3 hours? HAHAHAHAHahaha.wheeze! You so funnee!
It's not like the attic is full. Most of our crap is in the basement, the garage, or the shed. But there's some stuff over the garage, and that's what's getting sorted.

When Daughter and SIL moved in 2 years ago, we brought some of it down - things she'd stored there ages ago. So I know there isn't a whole lot up there. Two or three hours should be tons of time, assuming SIL will move faster than he normally does...
Old 03-26-2020, 02:29 PM

Just got up, feeling a bit better today other than fatigue (rough night sleep-wise). At some point, must get dressed and toddle to the mailbox. Of course, proper distance will be maintained. Wonder if I should be wearing a sign, ringing a bell, and/or chanting "unclean" if anyone gets within sight of me.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:37 PM

Just reorganized the garage, moved all the left-over construction/painting stuff from the last several years to one side and cleared out/threw away some more stuff. If I can remember Sunday, I'll put a lot more out for the Monday "we'll trash anything" group. Might even clean it up a little bit...naah. Hot outside, about 80F (our first day of the year over 80), so that was enough work for the day.

Awaiting mail now--such an exciting life...(country I live in is up to 35 COVID cases...no fatalities yet...

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 03-26-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Scored a couple packages of my favorite curry (S&B Golden medium hot) at Wallyworld, which was a bit surprising given that the Asian grocery across the street was cleaned out. They even had plenty of Kewpie Japanese mayo, so I grabbed one for the pantry. Either people don’t think of Walmart when they think Japanese ingredients, or the section is so well hidden over by the cat treats and away from the regular food aisles that people don’t see it.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM

At precisely the time I was to get the consultation call from the NP, the oncologist's secretary called, apologetic. She said she wasn't supposed to have scheduled a phone consult for a breast lump. So I hustled over there. I was hoping the NP would say the lump was just a gland. She didn't. She did say it was moveable. In pre-menopausal women who have not had cancer, that's a good sign. Unfortunately, I'm post-menopausal and have had breast cancer. Then she had the tech call for an urgent mammogram and ultrasound today. Nope--only open one day a week now. Luckily the day is tomorrow, so I'll only have 24 hours to worry. Also, it's at the hospital, which now offers 3D mammograms, so I only have 1.5 instead of 4.5 miles to walk to get there.

If boobs were removable, I could have left mine there and gotten a loaner.

Sari, that's an intriguing mystery. Perhaps neighbor has a secret admirer who got her address wrong?

Nettie, hope you continue to feel better.

FCM, FCD should definitely get a voucher for gas. I got one once after a similar mix-up.

I'm going to go for another long walk. If I tire myself out, maybe I'll worry less. Hmm, and I have all that alcohol....
Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Supper is going to be the ham-potato-onion scallop that I've made a gazillion times, but this time, I added some portabellos. I was going to include a link, but apparently I didn't submit it to the Mumper Recipe site. It's in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook under Ham and Potato Scallop (or potato and Ham scallop?) and if you ask nicely, I'll share it. Alas, it's not on their website. Then again, my cookbook is so old, it's literally falling apart.

Side dish will be cabbage with mushrooms. It should be a good supper.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:00 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

FCD and I enjoyed our supper. Daughter and SIL didn't. Sucks to be them, I guess.

Dishes are done and I'm about to assume the recline position. Thus endeth another day of confinement.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Supper is going to be the ham-potato-onion scallop that I've made a gazillion times, but this time, I added some portabellos. I was going to include a link, but apparently I didn't submit it to the Mumper Recipe site. It's in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook under Ham and Potato Scallop (or potato and Ham scallop?) and if you ask nicely, I'll share it. Alas, it's not on their website. Then again, my cookbook is so old, it's literally falling apart.

Side dish will be cabbage with mushrooms. It should be a good supper.
Guess I got here too late to suggest ham and scalloped potatoes.

hippie, I got one of those letters yesterday. Of course, while I'm essential, we are slowing business enough to put a work station between those positions that must be filled minimally. I'm down to 20 hours a week (but at full pay and doing Zoom meetings on the days off). Like you, I'm looking forward to retirement.

nettie, if you go to the mailbox in your jammies and slippers, with no makeup and hair going every whichaway, my guess is that folks will automatically give you a six foot berth.

Yay for MrVOW dropping some poundage.

sari, it wouldn't surprise me if a church is dropping off plants / flowers to seniors on a list. Those would be of the grocery store variety and no names on the card. Groups like that passed stuff out like that when I was in a rehab center after surgery a few years back.

metal mouse, Nashville is up to 203 cases and my county has surpassed the snooty suburban county south of Nashville / east of us for second place at 82 cases of Covid.

Today was my first full day of irk this week and tomorrow will be my last. I should be leaving the weekend guy and the old bat in pretty good shape for EoM. Without the distractions, I really went to town and got !@#$ done. After 1:30, I was the only one physically there in my department.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree and should we name him Hippie?
;o) thanks Sari
Quote:
Hippie it is, Sari, and I hope his job gets less dangerous in the near future.
thanks metal mouse Things are brighter today and back to normal. I think my manager in jammies may have spoken to the owner of the company. BTW: I am a Harry Harrison fan too
Quote:
hippie is a good name for longhair75, good luck with your job. Keep washing your hands as much as you can.
thanks Beck I have been working in gloves. I have a can of clorox wipes in my truck and I wipe down everything I touch, including my tools twice a day. I am not letting a virus named after the beer I drink bring me down. I worry about you too. Take care of yourself.
Jonny LA I never leave Trader Joe's without a bouquet of their lovely flowers for The Incomparable Sunflower
Old 03-26-2020, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

miss red
Quote:
hippie, I got one of those letters yesterday. Of course, while I'm essential, we are slowing business enough to put a work station between those positions that must be filled minimally. I'm down to 20 hours a week (but at full pay and doing Zoom meetings on the days off). Like you, I'm looking forward to retirement.
I am out working at customer sites all day. It isn't really that hard to stay more than six feet away from customers as long as the places are clean I am OK for now.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 PM

I never wear makeup anyway.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM

My DIL made a casserole. It was kinda weird. It had tater tots on top of a ground beef mixture. It tastes ok. The children loved it.
I hate that cause DIL doesn't need encouragement to recreate these things. She's a very adventurous casserole cook. But, when she finds one that's commented on she makes them over and over. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's nice of her to consider us while she's cooking. Mid-daughter is doing all the cooking and chief bottle washing.
(She lives in New Orleans and is now afraid to go home. So she'll be here for the foreseeable future.)
I've pressed the lil'wrekker into being her helper/sous chef.
The whole bunch is fixin to get in on the garden planting. I have big plans. I feel like we'll need a bunch of homegrown food this year. I'm worried the Mexican planters and pickers will not get up to Arkansas this year. Our produce volume will be very paltry if that happens. Arkansas fields are usually full of migrant workers, every year.

Another thing to worry about in this strange new world.

Y'all stay safe and uninfected.

{{{nellie}}}}

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.