Old 03-23-2020, 06:38 PM

Question About Yogurt Expiring

I've had the flu for a week, so I can't leave my house so I don't infect many others.

On the label, it says "Best if used by the 22nd". One container is not open, but they are pretty big, and I'm out of money, and almost out of food, but don't want to get sick in the middle of the night (insomnia is death for me).

Does anyone know? An estimate, since today is the 23rd
Old 03-23-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I've eaten store bought yogurt as much as 12 days past the "Best by" date with no issues.

Best by is an estimate by the producer and is most likely allowing for somewhat sloppy handling conditions. Did the stocker leave it sitting in the aisle for two hours while he did something else? Or was it taken directly from the truck to the display case.

If it's not fuzzy or off odor I'd eat it.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Yogurt is already "spoiled" in the sense that microorganisms have already colonized the milk and eaten its sugars.

Given enough time (and generally an opened container) yogurt can mold. The mold doesn't tend to be dangerous, and you can spoon it out of the container into the trash and eat what lies below it in safety. Occasionally, if you keep a container of yogurt long enough, it takes on a vaguely orange hue and an unpleasant smell -- I'm not positive but I think maybe that's mildew? -- and you want to pitch it when it gets to that point. You wouldn't want to eat it, the smell is off-putting.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I eat yogurt every day, and go by a "10 days past the date on the container" rule. I've never had a problem. Of course you should use your judgment and not eat it if it looks or smells funny (-er than your yogurt normally does.)

My Mom eats yogurt weeks past its date and never seems to have problems, but I stick to the 10-day rule.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:09 PM

If you have any question, check the fruit at the bottom. If it is trying to crawl out of the carton, throw it away..

As long as the carton isn't bulging and there is no mold, really, it should be fine for about a month after the sell by date. It will be more and more tangy, but the acidic environment and the sugar will preserve it for a while.

~VOW
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM

Yes, it always kinds of smells bad, even when its days passed.

I bought three 32oz containers because its hard for me to get around with no car, etc etc..

And I don't have fruit - it's plain yogurt... I guess I'll eat as much as I can, as I hate to throw away anything, even if it cost me 10 cents...

Thank you all so much!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM

Open the package, and if it looks and smells OK, it should be OK to eat.

I've eaten yogurt that was several months (yes, MONTHS) past its sell-by date with no issues.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:23 PM

If it's PLAIN yogurt, it's fine. Really. Just pour off that liquid, then stir the yogurt.

It will become more and more sour ("tangy") as time passes, and the yogurt culture gradually consumes the milk sugar.

~VOW
Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
If it's PLAIN yogurt, it's fine.
~VOW
Yeah, I was assuming plain yogurt.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 PM

Speaking of culture, how you feeling?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I've eaten yogurt that was several months (yes, MONTHS) past its sell-by date with no issues.
Me too. No problem.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Speaking of culture, how you feeling?
Operatic.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Operatic.
Well, now I'm imagining Bugs Bunny dressed as a viking woman belting out Wagner*...

So I guess you're feeling at least as good as a valkyrie?

*Bugs: Oh mighty warrior of great fighting stock
Might I inquire to ask Ehhh... what's up doc?
Elmer: I'm going to kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 AM

Previously asked:

Safe to eat yoghurt past 'use by date'? Prompt answer appreciated!

Does yogurt contain live bacteria?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

In general, you should completely ignore food "best before" or "sell by" dates (nothing except baby food actually has an "expiration date"). Look at it and smell it. If it looks and smells fine, and nothing has happened to it that would give you pause, then go ahead and eat it, even if it's long past the printed date. If it doesn't look or smell right, or something has happened to it that would make you suspicious, then throw it out, even if it's two weeks before the printed date.

The only context where you should pay any attention at all to those dates is when you're in the grocery store buying it. Yeah, if there's one container with a "sell by" of today, and another one next to it three weeks from now, you might as well get the three-week one. And then still look at and smell it before you use it.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 AM

I've eaten yogurt considerably past the due date. I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks fine/smells fine, I'll give it a go.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I worked with a guy who would just leave his single serve yogurts out on his desk for days before eating them.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:45 PM

We have eaten it months past its best by date. As VOW says it just gets tangier, hence better. If there is a bit of green or yellow mold I just scoop it out; if there is more, I will just toss it.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I've had the flu for a week, so I can't leave my house so I don't infect many others.

On the label, it says "Best if used by the 22nd". One container is not open, but they are pretty big, and I'm out of money, and almost out of food, but don't want to get sick in the middle of the night (insomnia is death for me).

Does anyone know? An estimate, since today is the 23rd
I've eaten yogurt way past the ex. date. No issues at all. However, the bolded part is concerning me. Have you gotten any food? Do you get food delivered where you live? Cause if all you need is someone to pay for a pizza, PM me with details and it will happen.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
In general, you should completely ignore food "best before" or "sell by" dates (nothing except baby food actually has an "expiration date"). Look at it and smell it. If it looks and smells fine, and nothing has happened to it that would give you pause, then go ahead and eat it, even if it's long past the printed date. If it doesn't look or smell right, or something has happened to it that would make you suspicious, then throw it out, even if it's two weeks before the printed date.

The only context where you should pay any attention at all to those dates is when you're in the grocery store buying it. Yeah, if there's one container with a "sell by" of today, and another one next to it three weeks from now, you might as well get the three-week one. And then still look at and smell it before you use it.
I'll get something that's short-dated, regardless of what it is, if it's going to be eaten right away.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 AM

Me, I've consumed yogurt that "expired" a year ago. Still, alive and (more or less) kicking.