Old 03-24-2020, 06:47 PM

I like Pringles jalapeno but, like the folks in Michigan, we in Illinois have a local favorite, Mrs. Fishers My sister lives in Rockford and I always get two huge bags for Christmas. Yum.

And not a chip, but I absolutely love(d) Corn Nuts. My teeth aren't up to the task anymore but plain corn nuts are just heaven.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Not helpful to OP who is looking for new chips to try but Blair's Death Rain Habanero were some of the best I've ever had. For once, a so-called spicy consumer product that truly brings the heat. Of course, because I loved them, they haven't been available for a few years now. They were apparently also available in jolokia which must have been nearly inedible.

9 out of 10 times, though, I get El Milagro tortilla chips (totopos). They're locally made and very good, though not potato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators
I was in NOLA the week of the 8th (seems like a long time ago now) and bought a small bag of Zapp's Voodoo. Very good, a little sweet, tangy, some spice! And unlike any other chip flavor I've tried. I wound up buying two more large bags to bring home, one for the break room table at work and the other for a TBD potluck, both of which are obviously completely out of the question now. I was surprised to spot the manufacturing plant while driving between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Occasionally I'll get an overwhelming urge for some (and by some I mean an entire bag)of Munchos and when that happens, only Munchos will do.
Ooh, I've also got a soft spot for Munchos. Why do I even walk down that aisle? "Only $2!"
Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Lay's Sour Cream and Cheese. If they're available, Lay's Dill Pickle. My dog actually ate one of the latter and begged for more. They're seriously mouth-puckering, so I was really surprised.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:06 PM

Mrs. Drenks (ca 1950). I tried to get my mom to buy an advertised brand (Red Dot), but she said Mrs Drenks were better, and she was right, of course.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-24-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 PM

There used to be a brand called Seyfert's in Indiana. Its plain potato chips were my favorite. Now, it's Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar. I like most any brand or flavor except salt and vinegar.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:55 AM

Brand? BRAND? Me don't need no stinking BRAND! A few greater-Sacramento-area eateries do magical things to fried slices of Irish or sweet potatoes. Sure, some dead stuff in bags will do in a pinch. Kettle Sea Salt & Pepper isn't too bad with a spicy sandwich and enough beer. But fresh is better.

Before she became an international music figure, MrsRico's mother worked for a SF Bay area potato chip maker and regularly brought home factory leftovers, greasy paper grocery bags filled with fresh chips. She was very popular with neighborhood kids.

My best p-chip memory is a TV advert. A hunky cowboy (looks like Peter Graves but is Philip Carey) rides his horse into a Western scene. "My name is Granny Goose and I make an exceptionally good potato chip." He holds a chip bag to his teeth, rips off the bag top, and spits it out. It neatly lands in a nearby litter basket. And this was a few years before Earth Day. Beautiful!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 AM

Plain Pringles. I can eat a whole cylinder easily.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM

Favorite flavor is Sweet Maui Onion. I've seen a few brands that produce it, the one I've seen/bought most often lately is Deep River.

I'm also crazy about Pringles Honey Mustard, when I can find them.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 03-25-2020, 02:33 PM

Ruffles All Dressed-like a combination of salt and vinegar and barbecue together
Second choice is Utz sour cream and onion

I like my chips ruffled.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Lay's Sour Cream and Onion
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Plain Lays. Followed by plain any other brand. Followed by plain kettle chips (all of these are regular salted plain). After these there are some flavored chips I like. Vidalia onion, sea salt and pepper, salt and vinegar-- especially kettle. Some of those Lays freaky flavors have tickled my fancy but I can't remember any of the specific ones I liked.
I never knew you were me before!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:54 PM

Route 11 Dill, or Route 11 Salt and Pepper. Route 11 is a local brand made in Virginia.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Craziest chip flavor I ever had was 'Prime Rib and Horseradish'. They are actually really good, but you couldn't eat more than a few at a time.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Plain Pringles. I can eat a whole cylinder easily.
I, too, would prefer to eat the cylinder.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Ruffles All Dressed-like a combination of salt and vinegar and barbecue together
Second choice is Utz sour cream and onion

I like my chips ruffled.
Yeah, that's what I meant when I posted "Lays all-dressed." I forgot they were branded Ruffles (a Frito-Lay brand). I first tried them a few years ago when Giant Eagle had the small bags in the check out lanes. I had never seen them before but they looked interesting. I rarely eat chips but buy a full sized bag a couple times a year. yesterday this turned into one of my corona-shortage grocery pickups.

Utz were big when I was a kid in MD but I've rarely seen them in the Midwest.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM

I've tried a lot of the Lays experimental flavors and because I live near Canada, try their flavors too. My all time favorite is Wasabi, but I'm also partial to Taco and Roasted Chicken.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 PM

As a counter to all the good flavors....

A year or two ago, Lays had one of their limited edition flavors called Chicken and Waffle. I love chicken and waffles, so I decided to try them. The checker said some of the staff tried them and hated them. But I like to come to my own conclusions.

Well, I should have taken her advice. They were awful. Just really, really bad. I can't even remember how they were bad; I ate a chip or two and dumped the bag.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
2nd'ed These are the best.

My cousin turned me on to these, but they were hard to find. Lately World Market was carrying them, but the Cajun flavor sells out quickly
Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I hardly eat potato chips b/c I greatly prefer tortilla chips. But in a pinch, and potato chips are all there are, I will go for kettle-style jalapeno.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Flanagans Balsamic Vinegar
Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Visiting NOLA a couple of years ago of course these are everywhere. I remember being disappointed the "Gator-Tators" were not alligator flavored.

Last edited by DCnDC; 03-26-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Old Dutch plain flavor ripple chips are my hands-down favorite. I like many of the flavored chips too, but I think Old Dutch is the absolute best brand of potato chips out there.

For those who haven't heard of it, Old Dutch is a midwest brand based in St. Paul, MN and Winnipeg, MB.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I remember when Old Dutch chips came in a box.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

Only Herr"s will do for me, salt and vinegar. They are a regional company based in Southeast PA. Grew up on them and prefer them over Lays immensely.

Side note, I currently live about 3/4 mile from their manufacturing plant in Nottingham, PA. When the wind is right I can smell the chips cooking. Heavenly!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Either plain Lays or Golden Flake.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I recently discovered a brand cleverly named Off The Eaten Path, and I found them to be refreshingly different. Might be hard to call them "potato" chips, and the first two ingredients on one package are chickpea flour and rice flour. Somewhat like tortilla chips.