Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 AM

The Take-Your-Mind-Off-The-Virus Thread

So I'm doing entirely too much stats checking, prognosis reading, and general all-out worrying these days. Without trying to downplay anything, that's just not healthy, and I need something to take my mind off this, even if only for brief stretches at a time.

Hence, in this thread, I'm hoping for some distracting pleasantries---something funny, something beautiful, something interesting, anything that's left you feeling a bit lighter these past days. (I'm putting this in the quarantine zone, since its genesis is a direct consequence of the virus, even though it's not thematically related; but if the mods feel a different forum would be more appropriate, please move.)

Let's all engage in a little bit of psychological self-care here.

I'll start with this video of the female blanket octopus, aka the 'butterfly of the sea'. (Trust me, if you haven't seen it, it is quite stunning. Also, while the female can reach a length of up to 2m, the male is rarely bigger than 2-3cm.)

So, where have you turned to get your spirits up?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Viking Cruises sent me a link to a self guided tour of The Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest. This is part of Google Arts and Culture which has virtual tours of several landmarks, including the Doge's Palace in Venice.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Viking Cruises sent me a link to a self guided tour of The Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest. This is part of Google Arts and Culture which has virtual tours of several landmarks, including the Doge's Palace in Venice.
Thank you, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:13 AM

There are a fair few orchestras, theatres and opera houses offering livestreams and recorded performances. And I have BBC Radio 3 on most of the day: never more than 5 minutes of news headlines a couple of times a day, otherwise music all day and through the night.

Or, of course, there are internet radio apps so you can tour the world by radio stations.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 AM

...I've been kinda hooked by "walking around places" videos at the moment. This one, "Walking in the Rain in Manhattan" is one of my favourites. Its a POV video of someone walking in the rain in Manhattan.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:03 AM

You might think so ... but I couldn't possibly comment

I've just bought the first 5 seasons of House of Cards, a political drama starring Kevin Spacey.
It really takes my mind of the current crisis - and I can binge-watch it as there are 6 seasons of 13 episodes.

It's inspired by a BBC series of the same name, which is markedly different in plot (e.g. the UK has a Monarch and the US doesn't!), but also very watchable.

Hope that helps you all pass the time enjoyably!
Old 03-24-2020, 06:17 AM

I watched all three episodes of "The Casual Vacancy" on HBO this weekend. It was really good!

(Am I the only one who watches movies/TV shows now and envies the characters for not having to worry about social distancing?)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Thank you, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Cool. Here is a Youtube tour of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. I've been there, along with most of the population of the world that day. Haven't watched it yet. Russian Ark was great, but not good for looking at the art.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:16 PM

I like the "walking around" videos on youtube, too. I particularly like ones featuring a walk in Japan.

Here's one walking in Kyoto. I love the giant bamboo grove - it's very calming.