Old 03-24-2020, 05:40 PM

The coffin at Value Village in Ottawa

WTF?

If you don't have a Facebook account you probably can't see this. Value Village is like the Goodwill, or Salvation Army...and someone left a coffin at the back door drop off.

There's got to be a good story behind this!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...1&id=588302510

Last edited by Leaffan; 03-24-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Occupied?

Better not be used, the next person could get the Covid....

Old 03-24-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

They got better.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Peter: "He is Risen!"
: James and John dragging in coffin :
"Dafuq we gonna do with this now?"
Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 PM

@Leaffan
Quote:
Value Village is like the Goodwill, or Salvation Army...
Not to detract from the nature of your post, but you should be made aware that VV is nothing like Goodwill or Salvation Army.

They're a for-profit business that disguises itself as a charity. Many people like yourself are duped into believing they're charitable and donate products to them which they resell for 100% profit.

IMHO they are one of the slimiest businesses out there, complete bottom feeders.

Google "Is Value Village a Charity?" for many stories on this. This is one from 2019:

https://www.philanthropydaily.com/fo...ike-a-charity/
Old 03-24-2020, 11:23 PM

I'm well aware actually. But thanks.

ETA: I was just trying to put things in context.

Last edited by Leaffan; 03-24-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:42 PM

When I was under 25, I worked at a library. Every year, they did a Halloween thing with a haunted house. Said haunted house was totally awesome, and included several display caskets borrowed from a friendly funeral home. One year, the PTB trusted me to have the put the caskets in the back of a County owned and labeled pick up truck to return to the mortuary. As mentioned, I was young. I had all of the good judgement any one that age would have had, so after requiting volunteers to load the coffins and strap them down, also allowed one of the volunteers to ride in a coffin with a split lid so he could randomly open it and sit up as we were driving.

I was never allowed to drive a county vehicle again.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
When I was under 25, I worked at a library. Every year, they did a Halloween thing with a haunted house. Said haunted house was totally awesome, and included several display caskets borrowed from a friendly funeral home. One year, the PTB trusted me to have the put the caskets in the back of a County owned and labeled pick up truck to return to the mortuary. As mentioned, I was young. I had all of the good judgement any one that age would have had, so after requiting volunteers to load the coffins and strap them down, also allowed one of the volunteers to ride in a coffin with a split lid so he could randomly open it and sit up as we were driving.

But you have made at least this poster laugh, so wasn't it worth it?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 AM

Yeah, the send-off line at the end had me cracking up!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post

Did he say “gotcha ya?”
Old 03-25-2020, 08:57 PM

Wow, I am embarrassed at how badly I did that last post. I really do know how to use proper words and stuff, I am very sorry.

At the time, I was very proud of my organizational and planning skills. I made very sure that the coffins were tied down through the handles so they wouldn't slip out the open tailgate. I was also very careful to make sure the coffin lid couldn't hit anything and get damaged. I drove very slowly and carefully to avoid anything shifting. If I returned damaged coffins, we wouldn't be able to borrow them again.

I was actually in the office with the head librarian when he got the call about what had happened. He did a lot of nodding and uh-huhing, then told them that I had stored props in the coffins to avoid having to make a second trip. After he hung up the phone, he just looked at me for a long time, then sighed and told me that I could go. As I was opening the door, he said "If you EVER do anything like that without telling me first, I will have you fired. What you did was very unfair, because all of us would have wanted to see it."
Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
There's got to be a good story behind this!
It's kind of the reverse of "For Sale: Baby shoes. Never worn."