Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

How long do you think it値l take you to trust going out again?

No matter how many people this disease affects, no matter how many waves may or may not happen in the future, eventually half of the U.S. population will have to try to get back into a normal routine SOMETIME, whether it痴 next month, six months from now, whatever.

When it痴 your turn, how long will it take you to take being in public for granted again? Or even just not flinching when someone near you coughs, or your nervousness at being around lots of people goes down a little? Or will you be able to blithely get back to normal attitude fairly easily?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:44 AM

I don't think I'll have any problem blithely getting back to normal attitude fairly easily. I'll probably wash my hands often for the first few days.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 AM

No idea. I haven't gone outside since March 12th.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 PM

Dunno, but I've been watching tv shows and shouting at the tv "Wash your hands! Don't stand so close! OMG you're drinking out of the same glass as that other guy! Shaking hands, are you INSANE?!" so it's possible this has affected my world view somewhat.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:05 PM

I've been taking walks in the park on nicer days. I drove up to a restaurant for pick up yesterday. I do think I will no longer engage in the archaic practice of hand shaking though, even when the pandemic ends.

My state is in lockdown basically. The roads are really empty, at least by New Jersey standards. The trip yesterday normally takes 20 minutes each way and took less than 15.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I don't think I'll have any problem blithely getting back to normal attitude fairly easily.
Similar here. I'm not deathly afraid or nervous now. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your pov, I'm pretty blithe in general. I don't worry about terrorists, I don't worry about earthquakes, I don't worry(much)about cancer. I do worry just a tad about senility . But I also don't worry about disease and pandemics except in the strictly practical or distant or abstract - how does it impact my family, the country, society, the economy, the world. But I don't much worry about myself. If I get it, I get it and I'll either muddle through or not.

I practice social distancing as much as possible while doing essential shopping and the like, but only because I'm actively thinking about it and trying to be respectful to others. But I try and be courteous and not infect others if I have a cold or certainly the flu as well. I think people who happily put themselves or others in harm's way in a situation like this are both idiots and selfish.

But it's certainly not an automatic twitch response and I'm not nervous about it. If I hear a sneeze and think about it at all, I tend to just think *allergies*.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 03-25-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:17 PM

I don't trust now! I look at people sniffling like they're zombies!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:19 PM

I'll feel totally comfortable once I've had that vaccine shoved into my arm. Until then, you're all suspect.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:22 PM

I've not been very worried about catching COVID myself, so as soon as the health professionals tell me I'm not putting the old and vulnerable at risk I will be happy to return to normal.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I mean, it kinda depends on how the statistics go. My feelings tend to be based on evidence. As long as things are out of control, I'm staying in.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

I only shop once a month so that's a calculated risk. The school I coach at is closed until Apr. 19th
and it's not certain yet if the district will re-open for the remainder of the school year. The rest of the track (and other spring sports) season is uncertain.

The real concern is the gym. Even after the gym announced measures to reduce exposure, there were still idiots not cleaning up after finishing with equipment. I haven't decided if I'll return when they re-open but I may go armed with sanitizer and gloves.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I am a teacher. One thing that is hitting the senior teachers really hard is the realization that they may never see most of their students again. When we left March 13, we suspected we'd be gone for more than a week, but not months.

I think it will be weird to see in real life people who have turned into on-line friends. So, like, I have a lunch group at work. There are 7 of us who eat together when we can--say, 4-5 any given day. It's fluid. Well, we started a group chat that last Friday, and it's turned into this huge lifeline. We text so much. We have the occasional Zoom Happy Hour. In many ways, it's gone from a loose association to a really tight friend group really quickly. It's going to be so weird to see them again, on the other side of this.

I am also really looking forward to the day I can see my mom again. When I saw her last, on the 14th, I didn't think it would be so long.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I am a teacher. One thing that is hitting the senior teachers really hard is the realization that they may never see most of their students again. When we left March 13, we suspected we'd be gone for more than a week, but not months.
Yep. My district is out until May 1st, and I really doubt they'll open then. At least it will cut down on all the hassles and arguments over graduation tickets!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:55 PM

How long do you think it値l take you to trust going out again?

Whenever the statistics show we're on the back side of the transmission curve. So maybe 2-3 months.

To be clear, that doesn't mean being afraid to go out, per se; more being concerned about mixing with crowds.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:01 PM

Three minutes after the bars re-open.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
Think about how the students feel. Most of them left school that Friday/Monday had no idea they'd never see a lot of those people again.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Combined sloth+weather stabilize our rhythms. We were snowbound for a week as the world fell apart and snow is pounding again. "Going out" meant a weekly shopping trip to the county seat, a roll every month or two to big-box shopping around a state capitol, and the occasional scenic mountain drive. "Dining out" was a stop at a deli or taco truck for lunch or maybe the odd sit-down plate somewhere. Now it's store-order pickups with snacking at home.

When will we venture out more? Probably a couple weeks after the brewpubs downhill re-open.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:39 PM

It depends on how long this lasts for, but I'm expecting to go back to normal day 1. Even now my routine really isn't very different. I'm a homebody though, and I put off working from home till Monday. That'll feel weird...
Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Think about how the students feel. Most of them left school that Friday/Monday had no idea they'd never see a lot of those people again.
My wife is an elementary school teacher, and one thing she’s done to make things a little better is to arrange for a daily virtual recess for her students. Every day at 2 pm she invites them to a Zoom meeting where she mutes herself and let’s the kids talk to each other about whatever they want.

Last edited by suranyi; 03-25-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
My wife is an elementary school teacher, and one thing she’s done to make things a little better is to arrange for a daily virtual recess for her students. Every day at 2 pm she invites them to a Zoom meeting where she mutes herself and let’s the kids talk to each other about whatever they want.
What a cool idea!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
I'll feel totally comfortable once I've had that vaccine shoved into my arm. Until then, you're all suspect.
This.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Understandable. But what does this mean for you in practice and action?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Dunno, but I've been watching tv shows and shouting at the tv "Wash your hands! Don't stand so close! OMG you're drinking out of the same glass as that other guy! Shaking hands, are you INSANE?!" so it's possible this has affected my world view somewhat.
I知 starting to develop a whole new appreciation for Monk reruns.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Understandable. But what does this mean for you in practice and action?
I'll have to go back to work, but I'll maintain the near-constant handwashing and disinfecting stuff, limit my visits to public places to what's necessary (grocery store and...well I can't think of anything else at the moment), stay out of crowds. I probably won't be doing anything like going to the theater or the mall until I can get a vaccination. Basically, what we were doing a week or two ago...what's necessary with caution.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
You really think I'm not?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:54 PM

I'll trust myself going out when:

- I last coughed over two weeks ago
- Infections are going down
- The authorities say I can.

All three of those true? I'll be whooping it down the streets
Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 PM

My routine hasn't really changed, other than the hours things are open. I guess the biggest change is that I finally managed to make some friends 40 years into my life who would normally invite me out and over to their places, and now it's like I'm being forced back into social anxiety and avoidance and I have to be vigilant to maintain an outlook that goes against current society for my own health. I hope that safe social non-distancing will become the norm again.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I've never been nervous. I've never given it one thought.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll have to go back to work, but I'll maintain the near-constant handwashing and disinfecting stuff, limit my visits to public places to what's necessary (grocery store and...well I can't think of anything else at the moment), stay out of crowds. I probably won't be doing anything like going to the theater or the mall until I can get a vaccination. Basically, what we were doing a week or two ago...what's necessary with caution.
Just out of curiosity, if you took public transit before this (which you evidently don稚), would you reconsider doing so? Would you be ABLE to reconsider it?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Just out of curiosity, if you took public transit before this (which you evidently don稚), would you reconsider doing so? Would you be ABLE to reconsider it?
That's not a factor for me. I guess if it was, I would try to not use it if at all possible, but would try to minimize my risk as much as possible.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:36 AM

I don't consider this to be a binary matter. One day I'm afraid to go out, the next day I'm not.

Depending on what needs to be done, the type of place I'm going to, how long I will be there, etc., things will vary.

Probably a couple months for semi-important or very quick things. Could be as long as 6 months for more casual/moderate stuff. Sometime next year maybe for extended "fun" stuff.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Three minutes after the bars re-open.
I'll raise a glass to that. It is deeply strange and unpleasant not to have the sanctuary of a single pub available in the whole of merry England. I turned down an invitation to meet my mum for a snifter two weeks ago, and have been regretting it ever since.