Old 03-26-2020, 12:39 PM

Lets talk about our Mental Health. How you coping?

This is a hotline to use if you need to talk to someone.

844-863-9314

So, I'm pretty emotional. Lots of swings in my mood. Sometimes I'm just so angry with how awful everything is and other times I'm just overwhelmed with grief and fear for my loved ones.

I live alone and have no pets. Wishing I'd gotten a dog! I was just starting to look for work when all this started, but now I'm just going to ride this out for awhile. So I'm home all the time.

So even though I don't need to, I make myself shower and dress every day. I allow myself one good cry in the shower and then I try hard not to cry anymore for the rest of the day. I'm not always successful. I already lost it today when I saw a clip on the Today show featuring an Alicia Keyes song. Whew. I can't see stuff like that right now.

Anyway, I could use some coping mechanisms. Got any strategies you can share?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:32 PM

This too shall pass.

This isn't going to last forever. It will end at some point and life as we knew it will return to some level of normalcy.

I call friends, to catch up with them.

Talk to my co-workers.

Plan a future vacation, for when things return.

Go for long walks outside and enjoy nature.

Try to live life as normal as possible, when not inundated by the constant barrage of all things coronavirus.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:28 PM

I had a moment on Monday after the president's presser. All the negative emotions welled up in me. And when I called my parents to maybe get some comfort, they made it worst by playing the Christian sage role.

I've also had more nightmares about diseases and death over the past couple of weeks than I've probably had in my entire life.

But other than that, I think I'm doing well. I enjoy working from home. I enjoy watching my cat have fun in the backyard. I enjoy being able to eat dinner at 6:00 instead of 7:00. I enjoy listening to music all day long and being able to lift weights whenever I want and being able to walk different places every day instead of the same boring route. I also enjoy not having to do anything with my hair in the mornings. I don't have to fret about my cowlicks or applying product to my hair to keep it from frizzing up in the humidity. Reminding myself of all the small yet enjoyable things about being a shut-in has really helped me mentally, I think.

I am worried about my parents, who live just outside of Atlanta. But I am also finding comfort in resigning myself to whatever happens. I don't want them to die. I don't want them to suffer. But I'm just not going to think about those things anymore. If they want to drive around town looking for TP, there's no point in me getting mad over that. It's not going to help them or my situation for me to get worked up about what they may or may not be doing.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 PM

I'm usually not an anxious sort of person, but this thing just has me on edge- neither the prospect of being cooped up in the house for a long period, or getting out and ending up sick as hell appeals to me. But those seem to be the choices for the near-term. And I worry about my parents, my aunts/uncles, and my wife's parents and aunts/uncles. Pretty much all of them are squarely in the crosshairs- elderly, poor health, etc... and I'm not sure they really get it either- I'm not convinced my mother doesn't understand that she shouldn't have her housekeeper over, even if she herself isn't going anywhere. Then there's the dual stressors of having my wife recovering from gallbladder surgery and our kids being home 24/7. And my job is jointly paranoid about being able to control us if we're not there, as well as having some kind of documentation of what we're doing in case of some asshole submitting open records requests. (apparently there's a small gaggle of dickheads who think it's their job to pester governments and nitpick their internal workings in the name of being watchdogs or some shit). So we're being required to document what we're working on and when in a way that's totally absurd. Before- I *might* talk to my boss once or twice a week either in a quick elevator style call, or via Skype if she has a question. Now we have a morning meeting, 3 status emails and a work log every single day. I can't roll my eyes enough to express how dumb this is.

All in all I'm doing ok, but I'm more on edge/anxious than usual.

Last edited by bump; 03-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:46 PM

I had my "Holy shit, this is going to be catastrophic!" moment early on and got past it. I, too, live alone. In my case, I can't work, and the vision issues that made working impossible made driving impossible. So for me, this is less of an adjustment than for most people.

I'm now in the midst of a cancer scare. (I've had cancer before. It may be back.) This is an even worse time than usual to find out you have cancer. If it turns out not to be cancer, I guarantee the current pandemic won't seem quite as stressful.

I'm going out for daily walks, and I highly recommend it. You'll get fresh air, see healthy plants, birds, and animals, and get an endorphin boost from the exercise.

My friends and I check in on each other daily. I know there are people who would miss me right away if I got sick and couldn't post.

Also, try to make yourself stick to a schedule and don't second-guess it.

Finally, focus on the moment you're in. Imagining a grim future doesn't help you prepare for it emotionally. I'm not saying deny reality. I'm just saying all we ever have is the moment we're in. You're OK in this moment. Savor that.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 PM

I was so bored that I thought, "Hey, now is the time to put some box braids in my hair." I started sectioning. After about half an hour I decided I was not that bored yet and maybe I would take the opportunity to regrout my bathroom tile. Haven't done that yet either, because I don't have a Dremel, but it could happen.

So even in a pandemic I am able to procrastinate. So I will also put off my nervous breakdown.

I was talking with a couple of friends (on Zoom) and one of them said something about getting together "when the crisis is over." The other one said, "What makes you think it's going to be over?"

And my thought was, it can only be a crisis for so long. Then it's something else.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 03-26-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Life hasn't changed all that much for us. I know my wife misses volunteering at the museum, but we don't otherwise do much in the way of gatherings. We do like to eat out occasionally, but can live without it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

So far the only emotional content associated with coronavirus:

a) Being the incredibly self-centered person that I am, I want the release of my book to go well, and the virus is impinging upon that a bit

b) Far above and beyond political partisanship, I have a fervent hatred for the specific person who occupies the white house and all he stands for personally and personality-wise, and I'm torn between wanting things to go severely bad during his shift, so he'll be (stupidly) blamed in November, and feeling concern for the folks so affected

c) I'm a bit restless although I have enough to do at home. I think I don't mind staying at home when it's my idea but I feel imposed on when I'm told to keep myself at home.

Let me know if you want someone to talk to. Phone or email.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:16 PM

When I need to go to Dunkin or a food place, I must find someone to drive me through. But once my library books are done(soon), I will need more. Any Bathroom Readers you don't want, send me them.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM

I had a panic attack Saturday morning and every day since then have woken with an anxious stomach. I either sleep too much or don’t sleep. I’ve been eating more junk food than normal. I have 2 outlets for stress—the gym, and my horse. The gym is closed, as is the barn where my mare lives. I am a hospital librarian and have been going to work. Last night I made the decision I will be working at home til the state stay at home order is lifted. I’m at outdoors kinda gal and the next few days are filled with rain and cold weather. I plan on doing yoga or low impact aerobics at home and walking outside if possible. I have a few hobbies, papercrafting and reading. I’m stay in touch via phone with my sister and BFF.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 PM

I'm not so worried for myself; I've got work to do at home, am still getting paid, and if that happens to dry up, I can make it for a couple of years at least, with a bit of belt-tightening. So as long as my particular corner of the world doesn't turn into a Road Warrior hellscape, I should be fine.

What I do worry about are some of the people I know (for example a close relative already has cancer with associated respiratory issues and potentially would not survive a bout of COVID-19) and all those poor souls who have been thrown out of their jobs with little or no notice. It took at least ten years and a world war to drag the US out of the Great Depression; so far I see no reason whatever to conclude, as Mr. Trump seems to, that the country is going to bounce back from its current troubles in a matter of a few months.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-26-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:28 PM

I have ups and downs. I am diagnosed OCD and depressive. My last really bad episode, which lasted about 4 months, was in 2017. Hypochondria was, and has always been, a component of it. Since then I have been taking extended-release Xanax daily, and this does a frankly amazing job of keeping me calm, about 80% of the time. (Two antidepressants as well.) Without it, I would be totally fucked right now. I'm able to stay fairly unemotional about the virus; I think I'm doing a good job of self-isolation. My partner and I have been sequestered here at our house for the past 2 weeks. She has made a few grocery runs - during off hours. (We already had a stockpile enough for about a month, but we have been adding to it just in case.) I on the other hand have not left the house other than to walk around the neighborhood (and it's a beautiful neighborhood for walking - thank God for small blessings) and, today, to pick up a prescription refill.

I called my prescriptions in to a pharmacy with a drive-through window rather than the one I usually use which does not have a window. The money and pills were exchanged through a metal drawer. I pumped hand sanitizer all over my hands after I grabbed the bag, and then when I got home, I removed the vials from the bag (which I disposed of) and sprayed bleach all over the vials, then washed them off in the sink.

A package arrived yesterday from Amazon - I opened the package with long-handled gardening shears, used the shears to grab the outer packaging and dispose of it, and then sprayed the contents (disposable vapes sealed in plastic cases) with bleach.

Tomorrow I am supposed to go to a car restoration shop and pick up some parts to build custom Mustang center consoles. The shop is running a skeleton crew and I'm unlikely to have to get very close to anybody, but I will probably let the parts sit in my truck for a few days before I start handling them (it's not like this is a time sensitive project.)

Projects like this, various home improvement projects, practicing bass and drums, and remotely piecing together tracks with the members of my band who I maddeningly have not been able to play with in a month, help me keep my mind OFF of the virus and its greater implications for life and society. If I DON'T channel my mind into doing these things, my default activity is to think about the virus, and worry about the shitty political situation as well. Up until now, I had been enjoying following the election, if somewhat pessimistic about its outcome. Now I'm frankly terrified if I spend any time dwelling on it.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 PM

I had my "Oh Shit" moment last week while returning from picking-up some take-out from a favorite restaurant. Empty restaurant, empty roads. I knew at that point this is real.

As for coping, my company sent us all home a couple weeks ago so have been teleworking (I had been doing that 95% anyway for a few weeks prior) and having work is a decent distraction - projects are still rolling along.. I have also been spending a lot of time outside walking and bicycling (solo) when it is nice. A walk at lunch and another one before sundown have been great. Long-ish bike ride on the weekend days, and paddling over at the lake occasionally. Basically staying busy outside.

Otherwise, I am staying away from the news and social media ('cept the Dope!), eating well, catching-up on Netflix, and getting plenty of rest. Everyone else in my house has pretty much stayed inside for the past week+, so the outdoors in general is my escape (from them, and the situation). I am trying not to think too much about things, to be honest, and just trying to stay busy.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 PM

I think its OK to be sad and scared and confused in a situation like this. The uncertainty is probably the worse part. I'm worried about my Beloved Butthead, I'm worried about his mother. We have a ton of foster critters we can't show but who really need homes of their own. (Some folks are using our website and calling, but we used to place a LOT of pets at PetCo.)

I'm doing my best to keep busy. I have a large needlepoint project to do, I'm playing in my garden much more, dogs are being walked enough to distract them from the closed dog park they enjoy so much, and I'm clicker training one of our cats.

Also, for those who don't know, Diablo I has been re-released and can be played on modern comps now. You can get Diablo II through Blizzard. We have the time to waste, lets waste it!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I was doing really good. Sure, I was working in a grocery store six days a week 10+ hours a day with the panicky general public, and worried about my-sister-the-doctor, and struggling to get MY grocery shopping done because at the end of my shift the shelves were stripped, and...

... well, in addition to talking to friends and my sister and spending time with my parrots who KNOW they're cute the social worker who ran the widow's group I joined after my husband died was checking up on me, giving me some time each week for me to work through my fears and give me support, BUT -

Yesterday her son wound up in the ICU of Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, on a ventilator, due to covid (which explains why I heard nothing from her for several days). He's in his early 30's, no known health problems.

So now I'm providing emotional support to her, because she needs it more than me right now.

And I'm OK with that - but not quite sure how to keep my own anxiety under control as they situation both locally and nationally continues to deteriorate. I'll come up with something, somehow.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:01 PM

We're likely no worse than usual. We've self-isolated by being mostly snowbound for the last couple weeks but I managed to make a store pickup a couple days ago and will go again tomorrow. Our media, food, intoxicants, and sanitation consumption haven't altered much. Boredom and cabin fever threaten but we've been snowbound before. National news angers and stresses me about the same as before but with more focus now. But I may ask to be excused for firebombing spitting at GOP offices.*

That's this week. Next week I may go totally full fucking bullmoose loony.

* Disaster affected my old rural neighborhood some years back. Our do-little GOP governor at the time helicoptered to my and other damaged communities but at many, his security detail wouldn't allow him out of the chopper because hostile locals. The current US Rep in my (R) district hasn't appeared lately. Is he prudent? Might potential loonies impede politicking?

Last edited by RioRico; 03-26-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 PM

Worrying about elderly relatives and getting cabin fever.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 PM

I've been mostly house bound for an extended time anyway. The month of Feb. It was nearly quarantine.
I've never had a problem being by myself. I kinda like it.
I am worried about my extended family. So many are aging and have health issues.

I'm the epitome of sunny optimist. Makes people sick, most of the time.

At the moment my youngest and middle daughter are here with me. And grandkids. My son and family live close and are in and out.
I make sure anyone coming in sanitizes and leaves their shoes on the deck.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

With the announcement yesterday from the Chinese government banning entry/re-entry to China of foreigners, and my wife stuck overses, my mental health might take a swing for the worse. Luckily, she's in South Korea (not in Daegu) so she's safer than she would be in other countries.

Last edited by Monty; 03-26-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 PM

Thank you for asking because my mental health is horrible.

I have no family and no job. (Iím retired.). My life was my friends, my curling club, my travel, and my volunteer work, and all of that has been taken away from me and banned by law. I sit in my condo, read, watch old movies, and stare at the wall, with no human interaction, every day exactly like the last, and no end in sight.

I have no financial or health issues and so am luckier than many people, but it is still hell on earth. Thank you for listening.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:01 AM

I adore my fella, but may kill him if this keeps up much longer. There is such a thing as way too much togetherness

And I know he feels the same about me. Patience, love and understanding

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 03-27-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 AM

I am seeing most people are arising to the occasion and coping. This is typical for people when a crises first breaks.

I am concerned though what happens as this goes on, especially in the area of domestic violence, as children are home.

Even in the best of times, every parent can confirm your children can get on your nerves. When we'd get obnoxious as youth, my mother had no qualms of saying "Go outside and play." Sometimes we need distance.

My concern is since this option is now limited, we'll see a rise in domestic violence. I hope am wrong.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

My commute to work, sans traffic, is surprisingly depressing to me.

Which is beyond weird. That seems like it should be a silver lining but it's not.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 AM

3 out of 4 of us in my household are doing ok. Freaked out at times as things get more and more real, but we're lucky that, so far, we're all healthy and my wife and I still have our jobs and are able to work from home.

My wife has been great through this, supportive and affectionate, and it's brought us closer together, unlike the stories of the quarantine causing a big uptick in divorce rates out of China and other countries that have already been through a long quarantine. We use a lot of black humor with each other to cope.

My 14 year old son has been taking things in stride, though lately he's been getting a bit grouchy and stir-crazy.

My 17 year old son, on the other hand...he's had a long history of emotional issues. He was diagnosed with OCD when he was 11 or 12. In the past few years he's made great strides in getting control of his issues and has been doing great in school. In general he is fine unless his routine is broken. And the pandemic has disturbed that routine just a wee little bit. His anxiety manifests itself in hostility and occasional meltdowns. For example, the other day we ran out of La Croix sparkly waters, and he demanded we go to the store for more. We said no, because we were well stocked up with food otherwise. He had a temper tantrum worthy of a 2 year old. And a toddler tantrum in a mostly grown teenager is kinda scary.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post

I have no family and no job. (Iím retired.). My life was my friends, my curling club, my travel, and my volunteer work, and all of that has been taken away from me and banned by law. I sit in my condo, read, watch old movies, and stare at the wall, with no human interaction, every day exactly like the last, and no end in sight.

I have no financial or health issues and so am luckier than many people, but it is still hell on earth. Thank you for listening.
Pretty much the same here. It sucks, and I don't know what I'm gonna do if this goes on too much longer.

My sympathies, for what it's worth.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM

"Until such time as the world ends we will act as though it intends to spin on."

-Nick Fury
Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 AM

As a more personal reply, I'm doing well. I'm really happy to have found my current job before all this happened, as it easily affords me the opportunity to work from home, although I'd been putting off doing so until now (I concentrate a LOT better at work than I do at home, where an ornery cat insists on having my undivided attention). Several of us decided this week to finally start working from home, so Monday marks the start of that.

Mentally, I feel okay about it. I'm more frustrated with an impending June trip, where I'm planning to see someone extremely special to me. If we can't meet up this summer we'll hopefully try to in the fall, but it's hard enough without him here as it is. Fortunately, my mood swings have improved since the winter, and it's been weeks since I lay in bed crying, so that's a yay So far the whole pandemic thing hasn't really affected me personally a whole lot. Obviously that can and likely will change, and when it does there's a good chance I'll feel differently. For now though, apart from never going to the movies or hanging with my friends (I'm admittedly a bit of a homebody), I'm managing to continue on fairly close to normal.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
I live alone and have no pets. Wishing I'd gotten a dog!
My daughter is a nurse, her fiance is an MD. They are both working hard and feeling stressed out. They have a dog, but just agreed to foster another for a shelter that is currently overwhelmed.

Fostering a dog or cat for a set period of time might be something to consider. She has helped this shelter before, so they actually did a quick phone interview and someone dropped off their dog later that day.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:49 AM

My little brother sent me a link that he urged me to watch if I need mental health help. This is an area he knows a lot about. I never watched it, but if he suggests it then it must be good.

Mental Health Tips from People Who've Been There
Old 03-27-2020, 10:54 AM

I'm depressed. Not as depressed as if I lost my job, which could happen still.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Hey, now that it's Friday, I wanted to share that last weekend I did a Covid news-free weekend and it did wonders for my peace of mind. I think I'll do the same this weekend.

My wife did not participate in the news blackout so I just asked her to not give me running totals of cases and deaths in our state, and that sort of thing. I said if rioting in the streets or a nuclear war breaks out, then let me know, otherwise it can wait until Monday.

I realize it's not a strategy for everybody, but during the week I've been tending to refresh the CNN front page and our local news site obsessively, so the weekend break is very therapeutic for me.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solost View Post
Hey, now that it's Friday, I wanted to share that last weekend I did a Covid news-free weekend and it did wonders for my peace of mind. I think I'll do the same this weekend.

My wife did not participate in the news blackout so I just asked her to not give me running totals of cases and deaths in our state, and that sort of thing. I said if rioting in the streets or a nuclear war breaks out, then let me know, otherwise it can wait until Monday.

I realize it's not a strategy for everybody, but during the week I've been tending to refresh the CNN front page and our local news site obsessively, so the weekend break is very therapeutic for me.
I endorse this strategy. Either a news blackout for the weekend, or if you are not ready for that, at least cut-down on watching it, and stay off social media like facebook. It may also lessen anxiety to stop or pause news feeds from news stations, if you signed-up for those things.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I’m most worried about my 10 year old son, an only child. He’s not in school, obviously. He’s a big extrovert, normally thrives on playing with his many friends. We try to keep him occupied but he has crying fits regularly where he complains of loneliness.

We just started having virtual play dates over Zoom with a few of his closest friends. That helps some.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Pretty much the same here. It sucks, and I don't know what I'm gonna do if this goes on too much longer.

My sympathies, for what it's worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
I'm depressed. Not as depressed as if I lost my job, which could happen still.
Relatable. All of it. And I have a job and a 5-person family, but that doesn't particularly help, since the job is a pretty solitary one and I can't really go full-on on the family socialisation because ... I have this job. Which I'm not being very effective at this, past week.

Attempting to fulfil my social contact needs on Facebook, which is kind of like being an alcoholic forced to doss down at the brewery, and reminds me of why I gave Facebook up in the first place (because it's murder on my goal-setting, effectiveness, and sense of agency)

Lots of people bonding over shared anxiety, and reassuring each other's anxiety, which is very ... disconnecting. I don't feel any anxiety at all. Partly because I don't think I'd get a serious case anyway (assuming my recent sickness wasn't IT) but also because I just can't get all that invested over the difference between being alive and being dead.

(don't worry - still being socially responsible. I don't need to be scared into being socially responsible)

It will get better

We will live through this

It's a marathon not a sprint
Old 03-27-2020, 03:12 PM

I'm OK so far. My daily routine hasn't actually changed much - my son's daycare is still open and I still go to the office to work. That is, until this week, when I have to work from home some days. I haven't gotten stir-crazy yet, like I did when I was housebound while unemployed, but we have a ways to go here. We really don't do much socializing anyway, but weekend day trips are missed.

Things are definitely surreal. The procedure when dropping my kid at daycare is is now like were visiting an ICU patient or something. I'm barely allowed inside, they take his temperature and shoo me away with hand sanitizer. Combined with the empty roads and crazy grocery stores, for the first hour or so after I sit down in my cubicle I have a strange sense of what I have to assume is anxiety.

I survived cancer without ever feeling anxious. It's a weird feeling.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:28 PM

I'm already on medication and I meditate and I'm resigned to dying at some point (hopefully not too soon), so the pandemic isn't affecting me mentally too much. Also my parents have already passed away so I don't have anyone in the family to worry about.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My daughter is a nurse, her fiance is an MD. They are both working hard and feeling stressed out. They have a dog, but just agreed to foster another for a shelter that is currently overwhelmed.

Fostering a dog or cat for a set period of time might be something to consider. She has helped this shelter before, so they actually did a quick phone interview and someone dropped off their dog later that day.

I've been trying to do that, but not having any luck so I just decided to adopt one instead. I'm picking her up tomorrow. I hope we will be good companions.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:20 PM

I think I'm becoming slightly agoraphobic, which is not something I've ever suffered from before. I go outside every few days for groceries and necessities, and when I do, I find myself irrationally nervous, even scared - not just when there are other people nearby, but even when I have the whole block to myself. It's disconcerting, and a bit embarrassing, and I hope to God it isn't something I'll be stuck with after all this is over.

Last edited by Alessan; 03-27-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
So even in a pandemic I am able to procrastinate. So I will also put off my nervous breakdown.
My soulmate! Thanks for the laugh.

My stress levels are going up, though I mostly manage okay. The fact I run a 5k most days, lift weights, and cook like crazy helps. I'm alone but have phone and digital contact with several people.

I'm supposed to move into a rental unit at my boyfriend's house on April 1. Obviously I'm not doing a full-fledged move right now (we're on shelter-in-place so I haven't even tried to line up movers) but I do plan to take the basics over - cats and cat supplies, kitchen stuff, clothing, toiletries, computer. I guess. I waver.

I wish I were more driven and efficient. I could take care of my taxes (complicated, I'm glad for the extension!), do a few assignments that have been hovering over me, and then totally relax and wallow in mystery novels and Netflix. But noooooo, I have to procrastinate like a fiend, so that I still have stuff to brood about. Good grief!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 PM

I'm having mood swings, stress, anxiety, making some weird decisions, have trouble sleeping, feel tired all the time, lack motivation to do anything, lashing out at people, and have spend my entire week looking forward to grocery shopping. I don't think I can do this much longer.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

I'll repeat my availability if you just want an ear for awhile. This particular situation isn't tearing me apart but I've been torn apart many prior times in my life. And we need to be there for each other. PM me if you want. I'll reply with active phone and/or chat/email etc contact info.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:35 PM

I Actually got so bored, I wondered if there exists such a thing as Lego porn
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm doing okay except when I talk to my mother on the phone. She's the one causing me stress.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 PM

I retired on January 10. (Ok, good news there - I worked in Healthcare IT and my ex-coworkers are essential and understandably frightened at having to go to work.) My plan at the time was to take it easy for the rest of the winter, adjusting to the new reality and then, come spring, I'd start living my best life! I had so many plans. Then my mother died on Feb. 12. I was consumed with trying to deal with all that comes with that when the pandemic arrived. So, selfishly, I'm really sad that things are so fucked up and everything I hoped retirement would be can't and won't exist for the foreseeable future. And settling my mother's affairs is not possible right now and I'm trying hard not to stress about that.

I live alone with my two cats. I'm 65 so I'm at risk. I've only been out in public twice in the last three weeks. I worry about getting sick even though I don't have any major problems. I talk to friends on Facebook or on the phone. I watch some TV. I spend way too much time online keeping up with news. I have tons of books that I had saved up for retirement but I can't read right now. It's just not distracting enough at this point. I do ok until late at night when I'm getting ready for bed and it is really quiet. It feels like I'm the only person in the world. And I feel scared. I take Melatonin to sleep but some nights I still can't turn off my brain and am awake for hours. During the day it's somehow easier to feel that everything will be alright. The world looks so normal out the window. It's those wee small hours that are the worse.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 PM

The TV has been on for 11 days straight 24/7. I am losing my mind. No exaggeration here.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM

After a very rough 5 years that nearly cost me my life, I have been kicking the shit out of bipolar disorder every day since for the past 17 years but it requires steadfast, monk-like vigilance to stay on top of. You can never, ever slip up or it's your ass in the garbage disposal (not literally, luckily I've never had a delusion that pushed me in that direction ). So from that perspective, this is just another day at the office and I'm well equipped to deal with yet another catastrophe. But from the perspective that I already have to manage a motherfucker of a disease that affords me absolutely zero breaks under any circumstances, this is just piling more shit on top of shit. But then, thats just life in general and you get used to that as well. All in all, I'm good. Spring is here and I have 100's of hours to spend in my garden, which was built on the heels of social isolation to begin with. That will be 100's of hours I'm not reading freakout material on the internet. Double win.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
I Actually got so bored, I wondered if there exists such a thing as Lego porn
"Lego porn"

About 91,200 results (0.29 seconds)
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

Having lived through many years of gonna-kill-myself-on-Monday-to-make-it-through-the-weekend-depression...this is a cake walk. And as an introverted homebody, being homebound is actually my ideal habitat.

My age has been taking a toll so risks of hospitalization for myself and family is very worrisome. Other than that, my mood is surprisingly good since the biggest threat is outside my head instead of inside it. Odd how that works.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I have no family and no job. (I’m retired.). My life was my friends, my curling club, my travel, and my volunteer work, and all of that has been taken away from me and banned by law. I sit in my condo, read, watch old movies, and stare at the wall, with no human interaction, every day exactly like the last, and no end in sight.

You have my sympathy. Your plight is similar to a good friend of mine. She is 50, is desperately poor, works part time at a drugstore, and her car is old and falling apart. She has no family, a handful of friends, and her life is confined to hoping to get to work, wondering what to buy at the grocery with limited funds, and hoping to get back home. She has some mental or emotional problems. No hobbies. Doesn't read. Doesn't like tv. Can't BEAR to be alone. Sits in her apartment and smokes and calls people over and over, all yapping and anxious. She and I have always been there for each other but I am self-isolating at home. She understands. I have resources, I am an introvert and can amuse myself or just deal with being alone, 24/7. She has always been desperately terrified of being alone because she knows she's going to turn into one of those sad old women just deteriorating in health, waiting to die, alone. So she tells me, and I can't disagree. She is, however, very religious and now tells me she has faith in The Lord. The Lord is going to keep her car going, or bring a man into her life, or reunite her with her estranged family, or bring a nice new neighbor to her apartment building. Pray pray pray. She was terrified of going to work and dealing with the disease-ridden public, and now she says The Lord is going to protect her. (Sometimes I think it would be a mercy if The Lord got off his ass and carried her home to heaven - she says her mother is there waiting for her.). It's a very hard time for some, I know, and my heart aches for them. I've always been super-introverted. A phone call a day is fine with me for socializing at the best of times, I have to make myself go out and do things. But my friend, it is agony for her to be alone.....I'm surprised at how empty and sad a lot of people's lives are. It's not like tv and movies, with fun people and romance and hordes of jolly friends all supporting each other. It all dissipates over the years for so many. I had 8 aunts and uncles, 20 cousins, two brothers, and all are dead, in nursing homes, moved thousands of miles away. Friends move, travel, got their own shit going on and too busy to do more than chat now and then. I dunno.

Last edited by salinqmind; Yesterday at 12:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
"Lego porn"

About 91,200 results (0.29 seconds)
Rule 34. There's no escaping it.