Old 03-05-2019, 01:32 PM

The former Enzo Amore did a tribute post to Bundy wherein he confused Bundy with George "The Animal" Steele.

Good on ya
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM

I have very dim memories of "Big Daddy" Bundy (with hair) in WCCW turning heel by tossing someone (I presume a Von Erich) into an outside ringpost.

Granted, the list of people I used to watch as a kid in WCCW who are now dead is a depressingly long one.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:33 AM

wow the 70s-80s are fading fast in wrestling and rock …..
Old 03-06-2019, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Not to mention the Rhonda/Becky/Charlotte thing is SO MUCH OVERBOOKING.
To quote something I posted on another board;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti
Scenario: The winner of the Royal Rumble gets a world championship match at WrestleMania.

Common sense logic: Give the winner of the Royal Rumble gets a world championship match at WrestleMania.

WWE Logic: Give the winner of the Royal Rumble gets a world championship match at WrestleMania, but then have an authority figure suspend her, have her assault said authority figure, have the authority figure threaten to take away her match unless she apologizes, have her apologize, have a different authority figure give the match to another wrestler anyway, re-suspend her, have her appear at every single televised show despite said suspension, have her arrested after she criminally assaults several of the aforementioned people, have the champion vacate her title because she doesn't want to fight the winner's replacement, let the champ shoot on the winner on social media and openly declare the sport is fake and accuse the winner of being a transsexual, un-suspend the winner for no reason and put her in a match against her replacement for the vacated title, have the champ come back on the same night and un-vacate the title, and re-stipulate the previously announced match so that if the Royal Rumble winner wins she gets added to the match she already earned the right to be in in the first place.
It all speaks to the mentality the bookers seem to have in this day and age where the soap opera nonsense is what's most important and the actual wrestling is an afterthought, so you can't just have a "popular babyface going for the title" feud without involving multiple authority figures and convolutions and secondary heels and meta-shoots and suspensions and actual shoots and elements that get introduced and abandoned haphazardly because the people writing the show keep changing it as they go along.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronda winds up defending her title against Roman Reigns.

Last edited by Smapti; 03-06-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
To quote something I posted on another board;
A thousand times this. It all speaks to the mentality the bookers seem to have in this day and age where the soap opera nonsense is what's most important and the actual wrestling is an afterthought,.
hasn't this been a complaint/said about the wwe since vince took it over 30-40 years ago?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
hasn't this been a complaint/said about the wwe since vince took it over 30-40 years ago?
Honestly, Vince would probably be a lot happier if he were running Saturday Night Live instead of being in the business he's in.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 AM

I heard the reason Arn Anderson was let go was because he's Alicia Fox's agent, and she showed up drunk, but he let her go on anyway.

Seems like there would be a lot more to it than that. Not being sober used to be a requirement.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out
I heard the reason Arn Anderson was let go was because he's Alicia Fox's agent, and she showed up drunk, but he let her go on anyway.

Seems like there would be a lot more to it than that. Not being sober used to be a requirement.
Well according to what I just read on another forum Meltzer says there's at least 5 versions of the story going around that suggest there was more to it.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post

Not anymore, at least in WWE.* And who can forget Sting vs Jeff Hardy in TNA? Supposedly, that was the last but not the only nail in AA's coffin. And Alicia Foxx is currently MIA and allegedly has turned down a WWE rehab offer.

*With McMahon, especially if Anderson was already on the outs, I could see this going either way. "What, you sat her just cause she had a couple of drinks?! You're fired!" or "What, you let her wrestle in that condition?! You're fired!" McMahon strikes me as someone who you have to be careful around as you can tick him off no matter what you do.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Neither of those have any chance of happening.
Certainly not while Linda sits in the US Cabinet.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Jim Ross was fired for 'allowing' Ric Flair to get drunk during an event. Not really a job I would want in WWE. Especially when you hear so many people in in the business laughing on podcasts about having being drunk off their asses and you see their DUIs on the news. And people like Pat McAfee laughing about being blackout drunk on Wrestling podcasts and in association with WWE events.

Last edited by Chimera; 03-06-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Tommaso Ciampa is undergoing neck surgery and is expected to be out for anywhere from 6 to 14 months, so he'll likely be vacating the NXT title very soon.

I imagine Takeover: NY will have some sort of multi-man match or a one-night tournament to crown a new champ.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I imagine Takeover: NY will have some sort of multi-man match or a one-night tournament to crown a new champ.
Dream On.

Dream vs. Gargano
Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 AM

Colby Corino was on 205 Live! I saw him in EVOLVE a few weeks ago. He did what he does best, got beat up!

Oney Lorkin is looking scary good. He lit up Umberto like a California forest fire.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:41 PM

Next year's Wrestlemania was officially announced to be in my sunny neighbor of Tampa! The logo looks all kinds of kick ass.

Looks like Mrs. Cups and I have a road trip ahead of us!
Old 03-07-2019, 06:45 PM

I thought jim ross left wwe years ago when he started doing the npjw stuff for axxs but I guess not but it seems he doesn't wanna leave :
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/be...BBUvseW#page=2
Old 03-08-2019, 03:03 AM

Another timeline slip. Dammit. Why is it always the little details, like what insignificant celebrity is dead or things like this?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:10 AM

And the winner of the 2019 "I'm on the Annual Report" push is...

Hmmm...looks like there are a lot of winners this year. I'm not entirely sure I recognize everybody, but I think it's:
Seth Rollins
Alexa Bliss
Shelton Benjamin
Ronda Rousey
Roman Reigns
Becky Lynch
Braun Strowman
Charlotte
Naomi
Rey Mysterio
Asuka

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong; here is a picture of the cover
Old 03-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Not Shelton Benjamin. That's Bobby Lashley.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 PM

funny since rousey is supposedly at an "this has been fun but im over it " stage and leaving possibly after WM or summerslam
Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM

and the sinking garbage scow full of burnin dog shi- that's been rousey time in the wwf

https://sports.yahoo.com/pro-wrestle...024600399.html

I think its both a work and real ….. shes over the wwf but is doing her part to go out with a bang ……..
Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM

I wonder if international announcer teams have heel announcers?

Maybe the German heel announcer calls Miz "Der Teetrinker" – Someone who drinks tea whilst everyone else is drinking beer.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Mustafa Ali was a pleasant surprise. He got 0 heat, took some sick bumps, and got pinned, but he brought some much needed excitement amidst all the soap opera angles and blown spots.

Rowan's shirt is of the folk metal Swiss band Eluveitie. Gonna check them out.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mustafa Ali was a pleasant surprise. He got 0 heat, took some sick bumps, and got pinned, but he brought some much needed excitement amidst all the soap opera angles and blown spots.
They stuck him in the "Rey Mysterio at #30" spot for seemingly no other reason than to piss off the audience. Why WWE thinks this is good booking is beyond me.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 AM

OK, my thoughts on Fastlane:

Usos vs Miz and Shane - Shane's OK, but I'll always consider him a figurehead. The boss's son gets to play with the talent. Sure, he's willing to smash his face into the furniture, but he's still the boss's son. His heel turn means that THE FUCKING MACMAHONS WILL GET MORE AIR TIME! So, dud.

Asuka vs Mandy Rose - OK, Rose is nice to look at, but she sucks. What was Deville supposed to be doing? The announcers hollered that Rose slipped on the apron, but she barely touched it. Dud.

Kofi vs the Bar - could have been done on TV, and its sole purpose was to advance a WM angle. Dud.

RAW tag triple threat - Finally something good! Ricochet did the diagonal flip he used to do as Prince Puma in LU, and Black just looks fucking cool. Finally, the Revival don't look like chumps. Gable and Roode are the wine that goes with the main course. Two thumbs up.

US title fatal four way - another fun match, and Joe looks dominant. Truth finally stops working clown matches. Two more thumbs up.

Women's tag title match - a few blown spots as the participants don't seem to "read' each other well. Then it becomes a transition to a future match with Natalya and Beth Phoenix. OK, don't want to drag on Natalya, but retire already. The only reason she's still being used is because of the Hart legacy. Io Sharai and Kairi Sane could easily take her place. Rating: ehhhh

Triple threat for the WWE title - yes, Ali was put in a tough spot, having to endure audience disapproval, and made to look like a MacMahon stooge. All he could do was what he does best. I still liked the match, as KO and DBD are ring masters. Three thumbs up.

Lynch vs Flair - I hate wounded bird matches. Period. It limits their move sets and we get mostly stomps and crocodile tears. Ronda's run-in was huh? why? Oh, another WM angle that could have been done on TV. Dud.

SHIELD vs the 3 Amigos - good closer, and the SHIELD have great chemistry together. Bye Dean, if you're actually leaving.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I about 95% agree with you, Knowed Out. I knew going in that this show's sole purpose was to set up WM, so I can't fault it too much for that. The Kofi swerve was the equivalent of giving Cleveland the finger. Poor Asuka is lost in the Becky/Charlotte/Rhonda shuffle. Mandy botched the power move. The finish was horrible, and WWE, you don't have to break up every pair. The finish for Becky/Charlotte was marginally better, and it got Rhonda on the show. Personally, I would have booked Charlotte to win with the Figure 8, but then disqualify herself by not releasing the hold. I don't think Phoenix is coming back for a 1-shot, I think she was just doing the time-honored job of helping the heels who just lost keep their heat. I could be wrong. The Orton/Styles run-in was well done and a good way to keep two top names not wrestling on the show engaged with the audience. They've got that Orton camera angle down to a science.

Ricochet is a freak of nature, but most of his matches turn into spot fests. The visuals of him flying are awesome, but his matches need fewer and need to sell the effectiveness of the moves better. Also, he needs to learn to play the wounded face mounting the gritty comeback better.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Does Mark Henry still have a role with WWE? If he does, I have a feeling his days as one of the co-hosts of Busted Open (on SiriusXM Fight Nation) may be numbered after what happened on Monday morning; host Dave LaGreca went absolutely ballistic over the fact that the Fastlane commentators kept saying that they were in New York rather than New Jersey - and, apparently, Corey Graves sent out a Twitter post in response that let New Jersey have it with both barrels. I would not be surprised if Vince demands that Henry side with Graves by not appearing on Busted Open in the future.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:01 PM

A pertinent bit from a Fastlane recap I'm working on:

Kofi finally gets to see Vinnie Mac after being kept waiting for an hour. He had been content to keep waiting as long as it took, but Big E and Xavier took initiative. Unfortunately, they interrupted Vince when he was on the phone. And Vince even said that <i>he</i> had been waiting an hour for Kofi, even though Kofi's story is that Vince had been <i>making</i> Kofi wait.

So, Xavier and Big E make an impassioned argument on Kofi's behalf as to why he should be competing for the WWE Title, and Vince seemingly agrees. He makes a triple-threat match, tells Xavier and Big E that they're banned from ringside, and says that Kofi'd better be ready, because he's up next.

Kofi comes out, and the announcer states that the following is a triple-threat match for the WWE Championship-- but then he's corrected by another member of the crew. Instead of the match he'd been promised, Kofi would instead be facing both members of The Bar in a handicap match in which both men are legal.

What followed was practically a lynching. God, I hope they're not going with "Vince McMahon is racist" with this angle, because that's where it looks like we're headed. Big E and Xavier finally had enough of watching from the back, and ran to Kofi's aid only to get blindsided by Nakamura and Rusev. After pummeling Kofi long enough, both Sheamus and Cesaro pin him simultaneously.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:16 PM

I'm relatively excited for this coming Smackdown. I can see the Kofi saga dragging up and to 'Mania....but this gauntlet match should be a good one.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Calling that Kofi does NOT win the guantlet...maybe 3, maybe 4. But it should be awesome. Question is, does Vince not want the title match decided until the week of WM, or does he want a few weeks to push it? I'm going with the former, but only because it is a complete audible.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:31 AM

"Ricochet is a freak of nature, but most of his matches turn into spot fests. The visuals of him flying are awesome, but his matches need fewer and need to sell the effectiveness of the moves better. Also, he needs to learn to play the wounded face mounting the gritty comeback better. "

Isn't that the problem with all the luchador/high flying types? all their matches are spot fests that look like no one really got hurt in the end?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Definitely nightshadea. But WWE main roster isn't lucha, even with the lucha wrestlers. Ricochet needs to grow to reach the next plateau. To me, when Ricochet sells, it seems like he's just biding time until his next spot. But think on babyface Bryan selling, or Styles selling, or Gargano selling; watch Kingston sell next Tuesday. That's where Ricochet needs to improve. That and promos are his next two steps.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Rico's lack of proper selling doesn't really bother me. Not all smaller guys need to grimace in pain all the time. Mustafa Ali sells enough to cover the entire SD roster.

When Rico was Prince Puma in LU, part of what made him exciting was his ability to go up against the big guys and do something unexpected, like pick them up and slam them to the mat decisively. He can also take wicked bumps like getting powerbombed from the ring on to a rusty ladder propped horizontally between the top of the ring apron and the barricade. Tyler Bate comes from the same kind of mold. He performs Cena-level feats of strength that pop the audience.

I agree Rico could use improvement in promos, but on the other hand, does he really need to? His promos aren't the reason asses fill the seats.

You know who I think is a master of selling? Bubba Ray Dudley, because of the way he gapes in horror when he realizes the tables (yuk yuk) have been turned.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I agree Rico could use improvement in promos, but on the other hand, does he really need to? His promos aren't the reason asses fill the seats.
If he can't promo or sell, he's never going to be an upper mid-carder at WWE.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 PM

You would have to ruin it by reminding us he has to be Vince's bitch boy to get over.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:51 PM

problem is he came from a lucha background ....they don't sell being in pain (well ok hardcore places like LU might) ... and when they do its rudos doing it clown-style for laughs
Old 03-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Ricochet has enough Japan work (more than Lucha), and they often, but not always, expect more selling. And it's not about being Vince's bitch boy, though most have to go thru that. It's about adapting to the style of your employer, versus forcing the employer to adapt to the style of the employee. The employer can make concessions, but in the end, to succeed in WWE, you need to work a WWE style. That includes better promos and selling, unless one's name is Brock Lesnar. Even then, Brock did a darn good job selling for Balor and Bryan - better than he ever did for Strohman and maybe even better than he ever did for Reigns.
Old Today, 07:58 AM

I used to really like Brock. Now I use his matches as piss breaks. Insert victim in move set formula, collect millions, come back 3 months later.
Old Today, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I used to really like Brock. Now I use his matches as piss breaks. Insert victim in move set formula, collect millions, come back 3 months later.
I just miss having the title on TV and people actually going for it.

I know every storyline shouldn't be dudes fighting for the title, and I like more diverse storytelling, but "fighting for the title" can entertain a good 3 or 4 guys while the rest have some room to breathe
Old Today, 10:20 AM

They need to not re-sign Brock. He's so fucking boring. Have Seth beat him at WrestleMania, and hope we never see Brock again.
Old Today, 12:44 PM

Here is a wonderful story about the birth of the DDP/Randy Savage feud in WCW in 1997.