Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM

Soup and crackers in the same aisle.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If I ran my local grocery store I would stock Tapatio hot sauce. They used to carry it, and now they don't anymore. Although I don't mind vinegar based hot sauces, my favorites do not use vinegar. (El Yucateco, Tapatio) Why can't I have my hot sauce, Store Person?
I had the same experience. About a month ago I ended up going to every grocery store within a 20-minute radius (which is like 8 different companies) before I found a bottle of Tapatio. It used to be everywhere!

My gripe is with the manufacturer's coupons that don't ring up. I am a coupon master. No, not getting $100 worth of groceries for 10 cents, but I know to get the exact correct item. Not "close." Not "gee, this brand looks better, so I'll try it instead." The Exact. Right. Item.

But for every cartload, there will be 2 or 3 "item not found" and the poor cashier will have to root through the bags and physically re-confirm the item and then override the register. Waste of time, people!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
I had the same experience. About a month ago I ended up going to every grocery store within a 20-minute radius (which is like 8 different companies) before I found a bottle of Tapatio. It used to be everywhere!

My gripe is with the manufacturer's coupons that don't ring up. I am a coupon master. No, not getting $100 worth of groceries for 10 cents, but I know to get the exact correct item. Not "close." Not "gee, this brand looks better, so I'll try it instead." The Exact. Right. Item.

But for every cartload, there will be 2 or 3 "item not found" and the poor cashier will have to root through the bags and physically re-confirm the item and then override the register. Waste of time, people!
If you can fix this you can be my manager.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Not specifically about how items are placed in a grocery store, but nonetheless. I was buying beverages for a group lunch at work and I was trying to decide whether to buy sparkling waters or sodas and which ones of each. I thought it would be helpful if Coca-Cola, for example, sold party packs, with a mixture of regular Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and so on. And one of the sparkling water brands could do the same thing with different flavors of sparkling water in one multipack.

As for the complaints about the ten items express lane, even if the cashier can't enforce that, how about an item counter on or above the cash register, perhaps one that goes red when the ten-item count is exceeded? That at least would make it obvious to the customer and those behind him/her that the limit had been exceeded and by how much.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 PM

WalMart of all places has a pretty functional app that will tell you what aisle a product is in at the specific store you're at. I've used it a bunch of times and never had an issue.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM

A store-issued license would be required to use the express line. It's free, you just have to pass a simple test. Sample questions:

1. Is it OK to get in the express line if you have 1 or 2 items over the limit?

2. After you've placed all your items on the belt, the next step is:

(a) Stand there slack jawed & with a vacant look on your eyes, then act completely shocked when the cashier gives you your total.

(b) Immediately retrieve a method of payment so you're immediately ready when the cashier gives you your total.

3. Do 3 separate boxes of the same cereal count as 1 item or 3 items?

Once you have your license, it can and will be revoked at any time by a cashier for things like getting in line with too many items, not having your payment method ready when the total is given, or trying to argue that multiple separate items of the same thing actually count as 1 item.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
As for the complaints about the ten items express lane, even if the cashier can't enforce that, how about an item counter on or above the cash register, perhaps one that goes red when the ten-item count is exceeded? That at least would make it obvious to the customer and those behind him/her that the limit had been exceeded and by how much.
The red light should be accompanied by a siren, bell, or at least a sad-trombone.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
1) Stop advertising specials as 3 (or 5) of an item for a special low price each, when buyers can get just 1 of the item for that same price, and
This doesn't bother me so much, because I refuse to fall for it. But if the store jacks up the regular price, then REQUIRES buying the item in quantity, we have a problem.

The Safeways in this area do this all the time with soda. "Buy two 12-packs, get two more free!" Sounds good, except the regular price for one 12-pack is $7.99. WTF? There is no reason a 12-pack should cost more than $4.00! So in order to pay the price I should be paying in the first place, I HAVE to get four 12-packs. Or get ripped off. Or just not buy it at all, which is what I usually wind up doing.

So what I would do... treat soda like the rest of the items, and just offer a three-for-special-price deal.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM

First practice I'd change is that the Hispanic food section in most markets has only a small sliver of selections, but corn chips, tortillas, salsa, queso are all scattered to the winds in other different aisles.

Look, when I go to the zoo to see the reptile exhibit in the reptile building shown on the map marked 'reptiles' with an alligator icon, I'd be pissed if they told me lizards, geckos, and snakes are actually elsewhere near the pandas, penguins, and butterfly exhibits.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM

This one's going to be a little controversial on this board, because I've seen some grocery-bagging screeds here in the past, but:

If cashiers (1) are being explicitly trained to not bag as they go, and (2) are implicitly expecting customers to bag their own groceries, please make those expectations clear to customers.

I know in some parts of the world and some parts of the U.S., expecting a grocery-store cashier to bag your groceries is gauche and rude. But in this area, the very longstanding business/cultural convention with groceries is that customers never bag. Ever. This is not Germany or the U.K. This is not the Pacific Northwest, or a northeastern college town. Re-usable bags haven't made any inroads (available, but rarely used), and aren't going to anytime soon.

So when I buy $200 worth of groceries, don't slide all my items into an ever-growing pile as you scan them. Please don't wait until everything is rung up, and then start bagging. If managers or senior personnel are teaching y'all to do it that way, please don't (and shame on your trainers!). While, yes, I can and do get in the bagger's stance and bag my own groceries at times, I view it as a significant inconvenience and a shirking of the store's duty (and in this town, it very much is -- this is not idiosyncratic).

Now then. If you want to change the local culture by making things happen a certain way in your store, that's fine. Be upfront about it. Post a friendly sign near the checkout lanes that reads something like "To keep prices low, we respectfully ask customers to please bag their own groceries ..." Around here, that would be a non-starter for most shoppers ... but maybe your store can make the inconvenience worth the effort in some other way -- prices, selection, better sales? Dunno. But the seemingly passive-aggressive piling up of scanned groceries is really off-putting.

I know, I know. I should cheerfully bag up my own groceries and like it. And by the way ... have I ever worked as a cashier? Yes, yes I have. I have sympathy for a lot of things ... but not for failing to bag as one goes. And if that somehow runs counter to modern grocery theory or something ... the store is wrong. A cashier who scans a cart of groceries in 3 minutes and then takes another 3 minutes to bag it all is doing a worse job than a cashier who takes 7 minutes to scan-&-bag the same cart -- the minute saved isn't worth it.

Last edited by bordelond; 03-15-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-15-2019, 03:18 PM

This "move things around so customers spend more time and buy more stuff" just flat out ignores reality.

1. We go there with a grocery list. Outside of produce we don't browse looking for something not on the list.

2. We have a finite amount of energy and a shopping trip is tiring. All too often we've found ourselves saying "Where's the blogafrickles now?" and decide we've had enough and check out. If they kept the blogafrickles in the same spot they would have made a sale.

All too often marketing people have an idealized customer they are oriented towards and no real person meets that ideal.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Simple - more cashiers.

I don't believe I have ever, EVER seen every cashier station up and running at any grocery store, no matter how long the lines.
Trader Joe's is excellent with this. They have around 25-30 registers, and when it's busy they look to all be staffed. Even when the line looks super long and wraps around the store, it moves very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The "exact change" people drive me bonkers. It's $15.47, you give me a twenty and I have to wait for you to count out 47 cents?

Too many people don't have their wallet out when you tell them the amount. They have to find it, then find their stack of 29 credit cards, then do the shuffle to find the card they want to use.

I would definitely ban the use of any hand held device at the register. If the cashiers cannot use them, why the customers? You're trying to keep the line moving and they are ignoring you in favor of gabbing on the phone. Or you're saying "Next on line," and they are too busy texting to hear you.

I cannot say anything about that work, but I've really gotten some people angry when I'm on a store line and I say "They think we should wait while they conclude their gabbing. Their device is more important than real life."
My hand-held device works as a credit card. One tap on the reader and I'm done. It's pretty funny to me that in one sentence you complain about people taking forever to use credit cards, and in the next say smartphones should be banned, when they can completely cut out the need for fishing around for a card.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:39 PM

I hate the practice of rearranging everything periodically, as I like to write out my shopping lists in the order I know I will pass by things at the store. I don't know how much Ranch does this in the US, but they were horrible in Jakarta - I would just have one arrangement down and they would alter it again.

I have been in Hawaii for 10 months and so far am very pleased with my Safeway - they haven't moved stuff around, and unlike a lot of store layouts they do the smart thing and set it up so that you will hit the produce section at the end, so you don't have to rearrange your cart contents to avoid squishing fresh produce.

The only thing I found to be terribly weird is where they put their raisins. With baking stuff, including nuts and chocolate chips? Nope. With dried fruit? Nope. With snacks like granola bars? Nope. Next to oatmeal in the breakfast aisle? Nope.

They put the raisins on a shelf underneath one of their fresh produce bins (I forget what, but it isn't even grapes IIRC). Now that I know where to find them, it's okay. But the first time I wanted to buy raisins, I couldn't find anyone in the store to ask, and since I knew they HAD to stock raisins, I spent about 20 minutes going through the store trying to find them.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
I know in some parts of the world and some parts of the U.S., expecting a grocery-store cashier to bag your groceries is gauche and rude. But in this area, the very longstanding business/cultural convention with groceries is that customers never bag. Ever. This is not Germany or the U.K. This is not the Pacific Northwest, or a northeastern college town. Re-usable bags haven't made any inroads (available, but rarely used), and aren't going to anytime soon.
We don't bag our groceries in northeastern college town either, though, and if I tried bagging my own in a store near the campus of the university I work for, the cashiers would be horrified. Not just groceries either - if you don't go through self-check out, you aren't expected to bag any of your items be it clothes, drill bits, or butter.

Aldi is the only store I've ever shopped in that doesn't bag your items for you. Since Aldi is pretty new to this state, it's a novel experience for many shoppers.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 PM

I'd take all those infernal self-checkout machines out back and set them on fire.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Simple - more cashiers.

I don't believe I have ever, EVER seen every cashier station up and running at any grocery store, no matter how long the lines.
I occasionally do at my local grocery store. And it is a local grocery store, not the local location of some national or regional chain. I can't remember the last time I had to wait in line behind more than one person, and more often than not I walk right up to a cashier. Their prices are a bit higher than the chains, and since it's on the small side, their selection is sometimes less than what it might be, but I'm happy to pay a bit more and never have to wait in line.

They even have decent music for a grocery store. Last couple times I've been in, it's been 1960s and 1970s stuff, but I've often heard songs over their system that came out in the past few years.

There are a few specific items I wish they'd carry, but that's the main thing I'd change if I ran the grocery. And of course I'd love it if they charged Food Lion prices, but let's be real: I'm not gonna get Food Lion prices and not having to wait at the cash register and the lady at the deli counter knowing my regular order by heart.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Do the majority of people really do "weekly shopping"? I like to buy what I need shortly before I use it. Why buy "fresh" fish today that you cook five days later?
Ditto. I'm at the store every other day, at least. My recommendations:

1. Stop prepackaging fruits & vegetables in plastic clam shell containers (looking at you, Trader Joes). It's wasteful & bad for the environment, plus then I'm forced to take the 4 zucchinis you picked out & packaged together, rather than pick the 4 that appeal to me.

2. Yesterday I bought a pie from the bakery section (Pie Day!!), and the bar code was on TOP of the pie container. I was at self check, so there was no hand scanner & I had to turn the pie upside-down in order to scan it. Stop doing that.

3. On the prepackaged meals, make the expiration date easy to find. Sometimes I can't find one at all, so I wont buy it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM

I thought of another one, but this may be specific to my local stores...

At the checkout, they always ask, "Did you find everything?"

STOP FUCKING ASKING PEOPLE THAT!!!

It's too late! Don't invite people to hold up the line while you send someone off to find the jar of mustard these assholes forgot! You're at the checkout line, that's it. You're done, get out of there.

Last edited by Llama Llogophile; 03-15-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 PM

Never have the same exact item in two locations, especially with two different prices. And of course at the checkout, you are charged the greater price, regardless of where you got it. "2 for $5" turkey sausages, my ass!

And if there's a deli counter, give samples. People really do buy them.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
And if there's a deli counter, give samples. People really do buy them.
???

Buy samples?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:08 PM

I'd require all cashiers to place coins in the customer's hand first when giving back change, then place the bills on top. No more plopping the coins on the bills, or worse yet, using the bills as a coin hammock when handing it to the customer!
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If I ran my local grocery store I would stock Tapatio hot sauce. They used to carry it, and now they don't anymore. Although I don't mind vinegar based hot sauces, my favorites do not use vinegar. (El Yucateco, Tapatio) Why can't I have my hot sauce, Store Person?
Talk to the manager; they may order it for you.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
The red light should be accompanied by a siren, bell, or at least a sad-trombone.
I would trigger that at least once a week.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
This "move things around so customers spend more time and buy more stuff" just flat out ignores reality.

1. We go there with a grocery list. Outside of produce we don't browse looking for something not on the list.

2. We have a finite amount of energy and a shopping trip is tiring. All too often we've found ourselves saying "Where's the blogafrickles now?" and decide we've had enough and check out. If they kept the blogafrickles in the same spot they would have made a sale.

All too often marketing people have an idealized customer they are oriented towards and no real person meets that ideal.
I want to reply to this idea again and once again affirm it is a myth. Grocery stores do not move things around simply to make you hunt and spend extra time. Grocery stores move items around to reflect changes in products and consumer preferences. Remember 10% of last year's products are gone. What was new and exciting last year has been replaced by a newer fad this year.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Everything would contain arsenic and cyanide.

... what?
Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 AM

I'd let the poor cashiers sit down, like the do in Europe.

I'd also offer them cattle prods, for customers who use the express lane with more than 12 items.

Quote:
Never rearrange the store. My local Giant Eagle keeps things the same long enough for me to know where everything is, then they shuffle the deck.
Our Giant Eagle is like a freaking maze. The aisles go every which way. I avoid going there unless I have to, and before they rebuilt it, it USED to be the first place I went. Well, that and Shopper's Choice. (Where I worked for four years.)
Is there a Kuhn's in your area? They're pretty good.

Quote:
There's a simple reason for this: When a customer learns where things are, they go right to them. Most people buy the same things every time, and don't go into aisles where things they don't buy are located.

Every time the store "shuffles the deck" people go into other aisles and do more impulse buying.
That makes perfect sense -- why the hell didn't I think of that.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:27 AM

I would like more ethnic food, wherever it was. But then, I live in Italy and yes, Italian food is great, but I don't need the same pasta shape by three different brands and would prefer some Thai red curry paste or some Mexican flour tortillas.

Contrary to most here I would have more cashiers if there were queues but no self check outs. I don't like being made to do what you previously paid an employee to do for me, thereby doing them out of a job.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought of another one, but this may be specific to my local stores...

At the checkout, they always ask, "Did you find everything?"

STOP FUCKING ASKING PEOPLE THAT!!!
The company I work for actually stopped doing that. Apparently enough people had your complaint (including me!) for there to be an actual impact and change.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Our Giant Eagle is like a freaking maze. The aisles go every which way. I avoid going there unless I have to, and before they rebuilt it, it USED to be the first place I went. Well, that and Shopper's Choice. (Where I worked for four years.)
Is there a Kuhn's in your area? They're pretty good.
Never been to a Kuhn's, but I've heard the name. Never heard of Shopper's Choice. There is a Shop-and-Save near me as well as a Naser's (single store). I drive an extra 10 minutes to go to Giant Eagle. I like Giant Eagle, I've even participated in a focus group for them.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This one's going to be a little controversial on this board, because I've seen some grocery-bagging screeds here in the past, but:

If cashiers (1) are being explicitly trained to not bag as they go, and (2) are implicitly expecting customers to bag their own groceries, please make those expectations clear to customers.
I've never seen a line where it was convenient to bag your own groceries before the cashier is done with your order so you're not blocking anyone and are still near enough to the cashier to complete your transaction. All the places I've seen you'd have to push your cart far forward to get around the bags, and if there is another person there already bagging your order, you'd be in their way. But yes, I suppose that if there were not someone else assisting the bagging, and I had a large order, then I could help the cashier bag once I've paid for my stuff. I've sometimes wanted to do this when there is one particular exceptionally slow bagger, because helping him would actually speed up the process, but when I just grab the large items and put them in my cart without a bag, he STOPS WHAT HE'S DOING in the already slow process and blankly stares at me, possibly considering it an affront to his dignity that I might want to get out of the grocery store before my frozen dinners thaw. (I sometimes go to other lines if I see him bagging even if the other lines have more people in them.)

But only once or twice a year do I encounter a situation where it would speed things up to help bag stuff, and that's not often enough to modify my behavior.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I'd require all cashiers to place coins in the customer's hand first when giving back change, then place the bills on top. No more plopping the coins on the bills, or worse yet, using the bills as a coin hammock when handing it to the customer!
This was exactly how I was taught to return change in my teen McJob. And they explained why it should be done this way.

I have no idea why this isn't taught nor why cashiers don't realize themselves that coins-then-bills is much smarter.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I would get rid of the ethnic aisle: this is the 2010s, we're pretty worldly in our eats nowadays. A lot of the time it's hard to remember when something is in its logical place next to the other sauces or sodas or is in the ethnic aisle. Although I guess if it is something that doesn't have an exact equivalent elsewhere in the store then I guess it can stay, but the only thing I can think of right now is tortillas, and if all the other "ethnic" foods are moved, it can then move in next to the breads.
The practice does make for some awesome aisle signs, though. I haven't set foot in a Jewel in years, but they used to have a sign labeled "Kosher Hispanic Tuna." Now that would be a niche item!
Old 03-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

I do coins-then-bills, it's better and I like to count the bills twice, but I'm not counting pennies. "That's 27 cents (in the hand) and thirty-one dollars: Twenty, thirty, and one." I also count the bills right under the video camera, which has saved me a couple of times when customers try to claim I short-changed them.

The other reason we tell people "If we have it, it's in aisle 4" is because the cashiers know the general layout of the store, but damned if we know what is in the aisle at any given moment. The item might be sold out, or it might have just been obtained and put out. That's the aisle workers domain, not ours.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never seen a line where it was convenient to bag your own groceries before the cashier is done with your order so you're not blocking anyone and are still near enough to the cashier to complete your transaction. All the places I've seen you'd have to push your cart far forward to get around the bags, and if there is another person there already bagging your order, you'd be in their way.
I remember a supermarket (I think it was Edwards, emphasizing discounted groceries, with a bright yellow color scheme and really big carts) that had two long conveyor belts after the register. That was while one customer was still bagging, the groceries of the second customer could be rung up.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Ask someone else

Quote:
Asking two or three people for the same item does not make it magically appear.
I wish I had a dollar for every time one employee said they don’t have a certain item but another employee took me right to it.

One time I asked an employee to help me find Brownulated Sugar, a specific brand of granulated brown sugar. He said, “There’s no such thing.” I replied, “I have an empty container of it at home in my garbage can. Would you like me to go home, bring it back, and show it to you?” He just walked away.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay. I know from experience if you tell a customer "We don't carry that item," some will go around asking other workers the same question. Asking two or three people for the same item does not make it magically appear.

I hate those people.
Can’t you check in the back for me?
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Maven View Post
I wish I had a dollar for every time one employee said they don’t have a certain item but another employee took me right to it.
Same here!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Can’t you check in the back for me?
I know this is always joked about as being a stupid thing customers say, but many times an item I am looking for is not on the shelf, I ask an employee if they have any, and they walk into the back and come out with the item.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM

My number 1 item by far would be to eliminate/automate the check out process.

Either RFID tag everything and run the entire cart through a scan or use a combination of technologies like Amazon is doing with image recognition etc.

I want to walk with my cart out of the store with very limited (or zero) time spent checking out.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Never been to a Kuhn's, but I've heard the name. Never heard of Shopper's Choice. There is a Shop-and-Save near me as well as a Naser's (single store). I drive an extra 10 minutes to go to Giant Eagle. I like Giant Eagle, I've even participated in a focus group for them.
Shopper's Choice was a family owned grocery store here in the north hills. (Used to be Viola's). They weren't a chain, so if you didn't live around here, you most likely wouldn't have.

They went out of business years ago.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I've never seen a line where it was convenient to bag your own groceries before the cashier is done with your order so you're not blocking anyone and are still near enough to the cashier to complete your transaction.
Exactly. Yet you can feel the mental energy of some cashiers as they pile up your dozens of items, praying you'll walk around and take it upon yourself to bag your own groceries.

And yes ... going into the bagger's stance takes you away from the POS device ... so you have to hop back and forth to enter your PIN and complete your transaction.

I am wondering if the cashiers are trained that "scanning everything FAST" is their first, second and third priority, while bagging is essentially ignored and staff are left to their own devices. Maybe one out of four cashiers do still bag as they go, Interestingly, it doesn't correlate at all with age of cashier, but it does correlate with a general sense of 'hustle' or fervency. Some young hires really rock at the cashier stand, practically scan-&-bagging about as fast as their peers simply scan-&-pile.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Get rid of those crappy cardboard product displays that block the aisles, or worse, sit on a corner where you're bound to knock them over. I don't even pick them up any more.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am wondering if the cashiers are trained that "scanning everything FAST" is their first, second and third priority, while bagging is essentially ignored and staff are left to their own devices.
No, cashiers are not TRAINED to scan fast, they are JUDGED on their scanning. At my company if you do not maintain a certain minimum speed you will be fired. Your rating as a cashier is ALL by the numbers. You are not granted any slack for aiding an elderly or handicapped customer, answering questions, or bagging difficult items. If your speed rating falls below a certain threshold for any reason you are gone.

Now, the truth is, if you're doing things correctly, there is time to scan and bag, with the occasional extra few second for this or that, but some crappy people "solve" this by caring only about the one thing they are rated on: speed of scanning. And to hell with everything else.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I know this is always joked about as being a stupid thing customers say, but many times an item I am looking for is not on the shelf, I ask an employee if they have any, and they walk into the back and come out with the item.
I always think, but never can say "Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them."

Seriously, DO NOT ask cashiers to help you find something. That is the aisle worker's domain. It's their job to keep the items on the shelves and get it for you. If I had a nickel for every time a customer said "Can you go get that for me" I'd have a big pile of nickels. If I actually did it, I'd be out of a job.

As for bagging, I hold the bag open in my left (bad) hand, scan with my right and then put the item in the bag, all in one fell swoop. People say "You are so fast" and I watch their jaws drop when I say "You don't know my secret. I do this with one good hand."

Our first, second, and last priority is to keep the lines moving. It's amazing how people think we should answer all their questions, check the price of every item, bag exactly to their specifications, wait for them to find the right card and/or count out correct change, and then complain about long lines and waiting times.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Get rid of those crappy cardboard product displays that block the aisles, or worse, sit on a corner where you're bound to knock them over. I don't even pick them up any more.
Seconding that one. Really annoying, particularly when what I want is behind the cardboard product display. The aisles should wide enough and open enough for two carts to pass side by side, without having to wait behind one of those things.

Target stores used to make a point of having an open racetrack you could use to get around the store, but my local one now has wheeled shelves of merchandise in the middle of them. And now they have these enormous display baskets cluttering up the aisle.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Quote:
I always think, but never can say "Yes, we're here to sell things. That's why we hide them."
Having excess stock in the stockroom isn't "hiding it". It's just normal inventory practice. When I worked for JCPenney years ago I was the guy who would be called to get the item from "the back" if there weren't any on the shelf. Of course it's reasonable to think there may be more stock in the stockroom (which is what people mean when they say "the back"). You can put a lot more stock in the stockroom than you can reasonably display on the sales floor.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

We used to tak checks, but there was a scam where the check would ring up as approved, and the customer would immediately run to the bank and take all the money out. After being hit with huge worthless checks twice, we put a stop to that.

As for handhelds....yes, we do take payments on them. I was thinking of the people who are too busy gabbing or texting to do what they are there to do, and ignore the cashier. Extremely rude.

Twice I had had customers who when their credit cards were rejected, went to the side, started texting "to solve the problem," and I suspended the order to take the mext customer. Then they tried to leave with their full, unpaid cart. Both times I went to the cart, put my hands on it to stop it it, and said very loudly "You will not leave the store with that cart. Those items have NOT been paid for."

Rush of aisle workers to block the exits.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 03-16-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:17 PM

I was in the local Stop & Shop yesterday, and encountered a new thing: they had a mobile robot rolling up and down the aisle near the back wall! Like a wheeled dolly with a tall (like maybe 6' tall) broad but thin vertical body and a couple scanner-thingies on it.

I thought it might be for some security purpose (no visible gun mounts though ) but a printed sign on it claimed it surveyed the aisles for messes and spills and would then summon someone to clean up.

And the whole time I was in the store, mixed in with the muzak and regular type announcements you'd hear "XXXX is at aisle 10" followed by "XXXX is at aisle 9" and then 8 and so on. (The XXXX is because I never could make out what exactly they were calling it.)

Anybody else encountered this? It seemed vaguely creepy to me, though I don't know why. I also wonder how well it will manage when the store is busy and people are already finding it hard to maneuver past each other and the random display tables.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 03-16-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 PM

I'd fire Brian the checker and frogmarch him off the property.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:33 PM

Okay, proof that my sighting wasn't due just to them having legalized marijuana in Massachusetts