Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
"Detox" is a great word, because anyone that uses it can be immediately ignored as a woo-peddler.
Come on. Just because Summer Rayne (who "parlayed her background in environmental science and entomology from Cornell University with a successful career as a fashion model") is telling you about her sugar detox journey on mindbodygreen.com, you think we're not dealing with rigorous science?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
It's not the cost per unit, it's having to shell out $20-40 for a big tub of something I don't even know if I'll like. If I try it and don't like it what do I do with the rest of that crap? It would be great to be able to find single-serve samples of this stuff to try out.

I should probably try to find someone who already uses the stuff and ask them for a scoop or two to try.
I buy either Optimal Nutrition Gold Standard Whey (Vanilla) or MusclePharm Combat (Cookies & Cream), depending on which is on sale. Both are far cheaper than meat on a per protein gram basis but the flavors might not fit well with other ingredients. The vanilla is mild, the cookies and cream a bit stronger but not overwhelming or any off flavors.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm thinking vanilla would go well with just about any fruit.

I keep some nutritional shakes on hand for when I get sick and have trouble eating - they are fluids and some nutrition even if not ideal, good for when I have the flu - and I could probably use that along with fruit, too.

Leaning towards experimenting with unflavored gelatin and oats, not the least of which because I actually have those in the pantry at the moment. But not this morning - this morning I'm baking bread and maybe making some vinegar slaw because the corned beef and cabbage is, at most, only going to use half that cabbage. I love cabbage, but as long as I have to deal with public as part of my job I have to be careful how much I eat due to... um... gaseous side effects.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Tossed a fresh plum and a handful of frozen berries (blackberry, raspberry, blueberry) and a bit of water into the blender today and hit the button.

Came out very pleasantly sludgy, cold, and yummy. Thick as a shake. Half a standard glass, which was the right amount.

Probably wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it worked for me.

Will probably experiment more.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
"Detox" is a great word, because anyone that uses it can be immediately ignored as a woo-peddler.
Someone's aura isn't aligned with his inner goddess.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 PM

Yogurt has sugar in it? Since when? You can buy plain yogurt (obviously not you, since it disgusts you) that has no sugar in it.

Quote:
Reminds me of a guy I once heard of who wouldn't eat raw, unadorned carrots because they had "too much sugar". WTF? Really? Just plain carrots? How many are you eating at once?
Carrots, hmm, I think I would experiment with them.

Last edited by eschereal; 03-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:46 PM

If you use frozen fruit, you won't need a thickener. And since your blender can crush ice, it'll whip those up into a sorbet, that you can make thinner with juice. I keep frozen mangoes, berries, peaches, etc. If you add a ripe banana, it will be creamier in consistency. Oh and our grocery store just started carrying frozen acai in little blocks, so I keep that around too.

My other secret if I'm trying to cut calories is to add frozen riced cauliflower. Any flavor it might have, which is little to none, is completely overpowered by fruits.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Tossed a fresh plum
Whoa. Any idea where the plum was grown? Our neighbor's farm market has a handful of plum trees that bear amazing fruit, but only for about two weeks out of the year. By the time my GIT has adjusted to way-to-many plums, the season has ended.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Um... no?
It's not plum season around here, but maybe it was from Chile? California? I'm guessing southern hemisphere given that they're heading into fall and that's plum season. Large black plum with yellow flesh and a free stone.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Yogurt has sugar in it? Since when?
MOST of the yogurt on the store shelves has added sugar, especially the single-serve stuff by large brands like "Dannon" and "Yoplait". Which is not inherently a problem with moderate consumption, but judging by the quantities purchased some of my store's customer live on the stuff.

Quote:
You can buy plain yogurt (obviously not you, since it disgusts you) that has no sugar in it.
Sure. You can even make your own sugar - my brother-in-law makes his own once a week, it's no harder than baking bread, maybe even less of a bother.

(I often bake my own bread - made a dozen rolls yesterday morning in between everything else I was doing. Commercial bread also had a lot of sugar in it, more than really needed, and some brands/types have a lot. My current go-to recipe has some, but it functions mostly as yeast food and it's three tablespoons spread over two loaves, or the equivalent in rolls/breadsticks/whatever I make of it.)

Carrots, hmm, I think I would experiment with them.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Your link contains this in the third paragraph (bolding mine):

On the other hand, we have this:

Your linked article does at least cite its source--Robert Lustig in his book Fat Chance. The central thesis (that sugar is particularly bad) is controversial enough, but this particular statement (that blending destroys insoluble fiber) doesn't seem to have any scientific support at all.

There does seem to be an enormous amount of confusion between juicing and blending. Juicing is the extraction of flavored sugar water from the fruit. Blending just chops the fruit into little pieces (actually huge pieces on a molecular scale). The two processes shouldn't be conflated at all.
Yes, it’s true that it hasn’t been thoroughly determined how blending insoluble fiber affects digestion, and Lustig is exaggerating--what he claims is more thoroughly shown with grains. The purpose of that article was just to give an overview of some of the issues with regard to glycemic load and response—the fact that the author herself did some bogus detox is irrelevant, because the issues themselves have been addressed by legitimate studies e.g, the Lancet study, Bolten, Flood-Obbagy & Rolls). There has been enough serious research showing that whole fruit vs. blending can affect glycemic load and satiety that it shouldn't be simply brushed off as “woo,” (and Stark’s blanket statement doesn't really address this particular issue).

And really, I would say that it may be not even be necessarily “bad for you,” as Quartz said, that you digest sugars differently with blended food—just that there is evidence to show that blending can change how it’s digested. I think the most recent research seems to indicate that different fruits are affected differently, and that blending vegetables might even be better.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

But how serious an issue is all that to someone "smoothing" one or two cups of fruit maybe three times a week for someone who has neither a weight issue nor blood sugar problems nor other digestive problem?