Fruitcake-No 94 58.75%
Hard Candy-Yes 61 38.13%
hard Candy-No 90 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

A Christmas Food Poll

I want your opinions about three holiday standards: Eggnog, fruitcake and hard candy.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

You are allowed to vote for/against all three-multiple voting allowed.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Is this supposed to be a report of personal preference, or a poll of what family around us are doing?
Old 12-02-2019, 02:10 PM

I've never tasted eggnog and it's been some time since I had fruitcake but I would give either of them a try. And who doesn't like that ribbon candy that comes out around Christmas time? Nope,nothing offensive in that group.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Is this supposed to be a report of personal preference, or a poll of what family around us are doing?
Personal preference.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Come one, come all: Observe the only human being who apparently despises fruitcake. Hate it, man! Iiiiickkkk!

Eggnog: Oh yeah!

Hard candy: Take it or leave it.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Come one, come all: Observe the only human being who apparently despises fruitcake. Hate it, man! Iiiiickkkk!

I thought fruitcake was something that was famous for being disliked by almost everyone. Sort of like the Circus Peanuts of Christmas.

That said, "fruitcake" is a broad term. Tasteless "cake loaf" speckled with dried & candied Day-Glo colored fruit and soaked in way-too-much rum? Blecch!

Now, the following fruitcake type I've never had, but it sounds good in theory: Basically, an overgrown blueberry muffin. Moist, tasty pound cake with pleasant dried blueberries, cranberries, dates, and raisins, mixed in. No more than a hint of alcohol used in preparation -- certainly not enough to preserve the cake any length of time.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Bring it on! I've been waiting all year for some nog and cake. The candy's good too.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Take the Cake and Nog. Leave the hard candy.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Eggnog no. Yuck. Too rich and thick for me.

Fruitcake, voted yes but it depends on the fruitcake. If it's a good one with lots of nuts and dried fruits and not the neon colored candied stuff, absolutely yes. Also I'm an oddball in that I like mine booze free.

Hard candy no. It never tastes as good as it looks.

Oh and I avoid gumdrops and stuff like that because you never know if they are the tasty fruit ones or the nasty spice ones. Or worst of all the evil licorice/anise flavor. BLAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Last edited by tricoteuse; 12-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I don't drink alcohol, so eggnog is problematic. Without the booze, it tastes bad. But I do know some teetotalers who add a lot of heavy cream instead of booze, and that turned out pretty good. [yes]

My mother has a recipe that calls for a large amount of sponge cake, with a small amount of soft candied fruits, and that is excellent. But the stuff you will buy in the stores is horrible. [no]

There are a few "old-fashioned" candies that come in flavors that I hate. But most of them taste fine. [yes]
Old 12-02-2019, 04:06 PM

I abstained from the fruitcake question because I don't think I've ever actually had fruitcake before. Although I've heard that a good fruitcake, either homemade or made by a good bakery, is miles better than than the commercially produced fruitcakes typically available in grocery stores. The latter kind tend to be overly sweet and overly fruity, and are where fruitcakes get their bad reputation from, or so I'm told.

Yes to the other two. Definitely yes to egg nog, and I don't mind hard candy although my preference is chocolates or something like that.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 12-02-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
My mother has a recipe that calls for a large amount of sponge cake, with a small amount of soft candied fruits, and that is excellent. But the stuff you will buy in the stores is horrible. [no]
Are you talking about Panettone?
Old 12-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
I don't drink alcohol, so eggnog is problematic. Without the booze, it tastes bad. But I do know some teetotalers who add a lot of heavy cream instead of booze, and that turned out pretty good.
This is interesting to me. To me and my circle of family and friends, eggnog is by default non-alcoholic. If I were at a random family-type holiday gathering** in someone's home and were handed a cup of eggnog, I would be a little surprised to find alcohol in it. Eggnog with brandy or whatever is something I would consider a "special order" -- something requested, or something that a host will explicitly ask whether you would like your nog that way.

I am aware that plenty of people do add alcohol to their dairy-case eggnog. I am also aware that there are many brands of alcoholic eggnog on the market (Pennsylvania Dutch and the like).

** as opposed to a frathouse party, or a party hosted by a dive bar, or something like that.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:50 PM

I like to cut richness of my eggnog by 50% with almond milk, or Southern Comfort.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Don't like nog or fruitcake. Kinda meh on hard candy, but I voted yes on that.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 PM

I voted no on all three. The only fruitcake type dessert I'll eat is something I grew up with called Poor Man's Cake (or Depression Cake). It's made with spices and raisins and making it makes the house smell fantastic. I find eggnog too rich and I've never been a fan of hard candy. Spritz cookies? Outta my way, they're wonderful.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Eggnog, sure.

Fruitcake: not as such, but I make mince tarts. Does that count?

Hard candy: hard 'no'. Hated the stuff since I was a kid.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:37 PM

I’m not getting into the fruitcake debate. I plan on buying one from Harry & David. Love eggnog. Hard candy should not even be made.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM

I find eggnog drinkable when cut half and half with brandy. But brandy's better without it.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 PM

I think there are two things called "eggnog".

There's the stuff in the dairy display that's basically sweetened flavored half & half. It's delicious. We drink it with a sprinkling of nutmeg on Christmas morning. You can add brandy, but by default it's non-alcoholic.

There's the stuff your friend makes from an old family recipe that's basically whipped eggs with rum and other booze. You know, egg and nog. It's also delicious, and foamy, and if it weren't for all that booze you'd worry about what you might catch from the raw eggs. But thanks to the booze you just worry about driving home from the party.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post

I thought fruitcake was something that was famous for being disliked by almost everyone. Sort of like the Circus Peanuts of Christmas.
Probably confirmation bias, but it seems everyone I know loves fruitcake . My mother makes several--from scratch--every Yule time and folks batten on it like Walkers on a deer carcass.

And isn't that the subtext of the "everyone hates fruitcake" joke: everyone really loves it and is poking fun at the shlubs who snub it. Doesn't faze me; do yer worst!

Quote:
That said, "fruitcake" is a broad term. Tasteless "cake loaf" speckled with dried & candied Day-Glo colored fruit and soaked in way-too-much rum? Blecch!
Oh, Cripes, you're talking about these abominations, aren't you? Familiar with the term "Wino breakfast"? One of those with a half pint of Knottyhead. I don't think it's a coincidence that "Claxton" is so similar to "klaxon."

Quote:
Now, the following fruitcake type I've never had, but it sounds good in theory: Basically, an overgrown blueberry muffin. Moist, tasty pound cake with pleasant dried blueberries, cranberries, dates, and raisins, mixed in. No more than a hint of alcohol used in preparation -- certainly not enough to preserve the cake any length of time.
That does sound good--maybe apples instead of blueberries, though. I would swear that has a different name than fruitcake, but I'm at a loss, at the moment.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Probably confirmation bias, but it seems everyone I know loves fruitcake . My mother makes several--from scratch--every Yule time and folks batten on it like Walkers on a deer carcass.

And isn't that the subtext of the "everyone hates fruitcake" joke: everyone really loves it and is poking fun at the shlubs who snub it. Doesn't faze me; do yer worst!
Hey, that's a horse of a different color Homemade fruitcake probably rocks. The fruitcakes that "everyone hates" are the ones you describe below:

Quote:
Oh, Cripes, you're talking about these abominations, aren't you?
Yep, those and their ilk. For wide swaths of the U.S. ... these are the main things that comes to mind when we hear "fruitcake".
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
<snip> ... the Circus Peanuts of Christmas. <snip>
...new this year on The Hallmark Channel.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

No to all three. Never really liked hard candy, I don't do eggs or milk, and I had my fill of fruitcake after having to sell it door to door for school fundraising.

Just give me some gingerbread with a dollop of whipped cream, thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is interesting to me. To me and my circle of family and friends, eggnog is by default non-alcoholic.
Yes, this. Plus I don't like alcoholic eggnog anyway. Yech. I have a recipe for chocolate eggnog that's fantastic.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
...new this year on The Hallmark Channel.

Link much appreciated This is a Hallmark home every December ... er, and November, too ... aw heck, they're gettin' October now**, too.

** Not in jest. Hallmark's Christmas movies started the weekend before Halloween this year.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post

There's the stuff in the dairy display that's basically sweetened flavored half & half. It's delicious. We drink it with a sprinkling of nutmeg on Christmas morning. You can add brandy, but by default it's non-alcoholic.

There's the stuff your friend makes from an old family recipe that's basically whipped eggs with rum and other booze. You know, egg and nog. It's also delicious, and foamy, and if it weren't for all that booze you'd worry about what you might catch from the raw eggs. But thanks to the booze you just worry about driving home from the party.
When I went on a quickie search for alcoholic from-scratch eggnog recipes, sometimes it's called "eggnog cocktail". Therefore, at least a few sources seem to acknowledge that the alcoholic version is not the essential eggnog.

Might be some regional/cultural differences at play, too. New Orleans is a drinking town, to be sure, but eggnog is not a native part of the drinking culture.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:13 PM

I've, um, never had fruit cake. Or, if I have, it wasn't called that. So I don't know if I like it or not

Egg nog is great (and non-alcoholic), and most hard candy is good--though there is tons upon tons of diversity there, so much that I would be surprised at anyone who hated ALL hard candy.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

What is hard candy?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 AM

I wasn't sure how to vote on "hard candy". I don't mind it once in a while, but I don't particularly associate it with Christmas. When I think of Christmas candy, I think of licorice allsorts or chocolates like Turtles or After Eight (and also the disgusting Terry's Chocolate Orange).

Last edited by hogarth; 12-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is interesting to me. To me and my circle of family and friends, eggnog is by default non-alcoholic....
Same here. Although my father always ensured we had a well-stocked bar, eggnog in our house was neither alcoholic, nor restricted to the Christmas season--we had a family recipe, and made it anytime we liked, all throughout the year. I guess we could have added some booze, but we never did.

Fruitcake? Yes, but homemade from another old family recipe, if possible. A few store-bought fruitcakes are good-to-great. But many are not what I would call a traditional fruitcake, which (according to Grandmother's recipe), you should start making in October.

Hard candy? Neutral. I can take it or leave it.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I wasn't sure how to vote on "hard candy". I don't mind it once in a while, but I don't particularly associate it with Christmas. When I think of Christmas candy, I think of licorice allsorts or chocolates like Turtles or After Eight (and also the disgusting Terry's Chocolate Orange).
Nooooo! The Chocolate orange is great. Love that thing. Love whacking it. The slivers of orange flavored chocolate are not too much. I love chocolate covered cherries too. Alas, I can only have about one per year.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I love chocolate covered cherries too. Alas, I can only have about one per year.
Beck, let me introduce you to Lowney's Cherry Blossoms. Available all year around, so you can have one anytime:

https://www.amazon.ca/LOWNEY-Cherry-.../dp/B00NTWTWIM

They're a treat I allow myself from time to time. And oh so good!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:32 AM

I voted "No" on hard candy, but then realised candy canes qualify, so make that a yes from me instead.

Not only do we do fruitcake (which I love) we also do mince pies and christmas pudding and pannetone.

I love eggnog, but I have to make it myself because we don't get it ready-made here. I've also been making Athol Brose.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:27 AM

Yes to all three, with the caveat that the fruitcake should be served together with twice its weight in custard. Mmmm .... custaaard ....

Eggnog is not really traditional in Australia, but I have loved it when I've had it - the more alcoholic the better. Not very likely to happen this year with my fully teetotalling in-laws.

Hard candy I just assumed was candy-canes - they're the ones that are "christmassy". Mint flavour, for the full traditional experience.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 AM

Eew, who serves fruitcake with custard?

That's for Christmas pudding.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Eew, who serves fruitcake with custard?

That's for Christmas pudding.
Ooh, yeah, on the Christmas pudding too.

What can I say, I'm just a barbarian But I need something quite bland to cut the richness of both of those

And for the mince tarts, a big dollop of cream, thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
And for the mince tarts, a big dollop of cream, thanks
Brandy butter for me. AKA Senior Wrangler sauce.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 AM

I'll take all three, but I'll have to take extra insulin.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM

The classic UK fruitcake is like this and at least where I come from the traditional accompaniment is a slice of cheese in the Wenslydale, or Cotherstone style and nice whisky or port.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post

My stepfather was a bartender and had his own recipe for "Tom & Jerry". For those who don't know what that is, it's a batter that is much like eggnog, only thicker. It's made from eggs, powdered sugar and spices. The eggs are separated and beaten, then folded together with the sugar. The batter is cut with either booze or milk before drinking. I loved the stuff when I was a kid.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Yes on the eggnog - sometimes with rum, sometimes with brandy, sometimes straight.

Yes on the hard candy - candy canes to Grandma's ribbon candy. It's all good.

Yes on the fruitcake - we send high quality fruitcakes to select friends every year. It's a great way to say "Thinking of you this Holiday Season. Dickhead."
Old 12-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Egg nog is fine; good fruit cake is great. I'm not one for hard candy, though. Are we talking peppermint sticks and things like that? I guess we just don't really do hard candy for Christmas, as, except for the candy canes, I don't associate it with the holiday.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
My stepfather was a bartender and had his own recipe for "Tom & Jerry". For those who don't know what that is, it's a batter that is much like eggnog, only thicker. It's made from eggs, powdered sugar and spices. The eggs are separated and beaten, then folded together with the sugar. The batter is cut with either booze or milk before drinking. I loved the stuff when I was a kid.
And if you're in Chicago for the season, the classic place to get it is downtown is at Miller's Pub, which proudly announces Tom & Jerry season on its signage. They serve it through New Years' Day. I once tried to order one the second or third week of January, thinking that maybe they run it through the winter, and was told to go buy a calendar.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-03-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Are you talking about Panettone?
Looks very similar, but to my mind, Pannettone is closer to bread than to cake. Mom's version was more sweet and moist.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
*Screeches the thread to a halt* How DARE you. Terry's chocolate orange is what Christmas was invented for.

Carry on.

BTW, hard candy (boiled sweets to us) isn't a British Christmas thing, but chocolates of various stripes are - Cadbury's selection box, After Eights, huge tin of Quality Street, Chocolate Brazil nuts and TERRY'S CHOCOLATE ORANGE.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM

The only Egg Nog I really liked was Chipwich brand but that no longer exists...
Old 12-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Darigold Old Fashioned Egg Nog is in the fridge, and the Trappist Abbey Monastery Fruitcake(soaked in 120 proof brandy) should be here by Friday. Not a fan of hard candy(outside of Butter Rum Life Savers).
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The only Egg Nog I really liked was Chipwich brand but that no longer exists...
I'm not a fan but my wife is, she once bought a bottle in Bruges that you had to scoop out of the bottle with a spoon and could take your fucking head off. In Austria, when skiing, 'tis the fashion to heat up and froth the nog with a steam wand, squirt some cream on top with a schnapps-soaked pear chunk. A "schneeflocke" they call it.

I have a beer