Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Was multi-millionaire Neel Kashkari, Republican candidate for Governor of California, pretending to be homeless for a week a stupid Republican idea?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:21 PM

Only if being homeless sucks less than people imagine. If minimum wage folks had to live on Ramen and open face peanut butter sandwiches that would be a useful thing to let people know to build support for the minimum wage increase.

THe menu she's got makes it seem like minimum wage earners are doing just fine. that's why it's stupid. And if she thinks that menu is hardship she's pretty out of touch. Which I would kinda expect for someone whose never worked for an actual business.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Or perhaps the President's. An ebola case nearly made it to our shores today. I hope he's engaged on this issue.
If I understand the situation correctly, two Americans in Liberia contracted Ebola. At least one received an experimental serum and is recovering in Atlanta. I think the other is still in Africa, but I'm not 100% on that.

So, a case of Ebola has now reached our shores, and it appears we've successfully dealt with the issue. I can only assume, if Obama deserved the blame if this had gone wrong, you'll award him full and personal credit for dealing with this issue?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Rejection View Post
If I understand the situation correctly, two Americans in Liberia contracted Ebola. At least one received an experimental serum and is recovering in Atlanta. I think the other is still in Africa, but I'm not 100% on that.

So, a case of Ebola has now reached our shores, and it appears we've successfully dealt with the issue. I can only assume, if Obama deserved the blame if this had gone wrong, you'll award him full and personal credit for dealing with this issue?
Good Lord, he's lost his mind.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Good Lord, he's lost his mind.
I'm excited for the inevitable cognitive dissonance adaher's answer will yield!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

There is nothing to celebrate when another victim of Cognitive Dissonance is struck down! We must never forget, even for a moment of jocularity, that CD is the number one threat to the Republic, and must griddle our loins for the impending....hey, quit shoving!....conflict that even now... totally uncool, knock it off!....looms on the horizon....
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 AM

Griddle your loins?

You can griddle yours if you really wanna, but stay away from mine please - unless you're talking about loin chops....then mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

The ancient Israelites were slow to develop metal-working skills, as sheep are a very poor source of iron ore. In their on-going struggles with Phyllis Stein, they were often forced to borrow kitchen implements from the Hebrews and fashion crude armor...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Rejection View Post

There's nothing wrong with what has been done with the ebola patients. I was referring to a person infected entering the US and infecting others, not people being evacuated for medical care.

The issue has only been successfully dealt with if you assume that there's no one exposed to ebola planning to fly to the US. When that happens, then we can analyze the CDC's actions.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Thankfully its not an actual Ebola case, but this seem to indicate that they would handle it OK
Quote:
Dr. David Reich, president and chief operating officer at Mount Sinai, told TIME that because of the recent Ebola news last week, over this past weekend, the hospital had reviewed and prepared for what it would do if it received a patient with Ebola, including immediate isolation and strict infection-control procedures. “We are very pleased our staff reacted immediately based on their initial screening,” says Reich.

The hospital reported that the patient was being kept in isolation to prevent the spread of the deadly virus, and being tested to confirm whether his symptoms are from Ebola.

“All necessary steps are being taken to ensure the safety of all patients, visitors and staff,” Mount Sinai said in a statement.

When it comes to infectious diseases, Reich says the hospital is well equipped, and experienced. “In terms of contagious disease, the measles is in many ways much more contagious than this,” he says.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with what has been done with the ebola patients. I was referring to a person infected entering the US and infecting others, not people being evacuated for medical care.

The issue has only been successfully dealt with if you assume that there's no one exposed to ebola planning to fly to the US. When that happens, then we can analyze the CDC's actions.
So you're saying that the President should get all the blame for anything bad, and no credit for anything good. Gotcha.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Has something happened that is good on the issue I brought up? If an infected person does get into the US, then if the CDC handles the situation well, Obama deserves credit for that. If they drop the ball, that's on him too.

The executive power of the United States resides in one person. If it didn't, we'd vote for the head of the CDC, and the IRS, and the VA, and the NSA.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Has something happened that is good on the issue I brought up?
Yes. President Obama has prevented any ebola-infected immigrants from entering the country illegally. Yay freedom!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM

For now, yes.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For now, yes.
So you're waiting until he's unable to personally inspect every airline and cruise ship passenger than blame him.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM

As the sole executive power, he can make decisions about how TSA should handle passengers suspected of being ill. They put CDC stations in major airports for exactly that purpose.

If no orders are forthcoming from him and TSA or CDC get confused about their authority, then yes, that's on him.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:35 PM

President Obama has valiantly and personally stemmed the tide of ebola on our shores and spearheaded its eradication. If the situation changes, by all means blame him, but as for now, the only reason you're alive is due to the brilliant Obama and his policies. You should be more grateful
Old 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM

I'm grateful that there are a lot of dead terrorists thanks to Obama. That's helped keep me alive.

I'm also grateful that liberals shut up when Obama does it. That's helped keep me sane.

Last edited by adaher; 08-05-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
....That's helped keep me sane.
You are not affected by insanity, you are a carrier.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
For now, yes.
Obama has personally prevented Ebola from reaching our shores for 5 years, 198 days, 4 hours, and around 30 minutes. I'd say he's got a sterling record on this issue.

A better question would be, why are you so single-mindedly obsessed with preemptively questioning his ability on anything? He's not the colossal failure you've created in your head, and doubling down on things (like your ominous "for now") is truly puzzling.

While you'll probably duck away from this, your earlier statements implied he had already failed in personally protecting us from Ebola. Your use of 'just raising concerns' doesn't fool anyone.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
You are not affected by insanity, you are a carrier.
I'm not sure about that. Insanity and boneheaded stupidity are not the same virus, despite occasional similarities in the symptoms.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
For now, yes.
Ted Cruz has not taken an infant, hollowed it out, and used it as a hat.

For now.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Cruz has no record of baby killing. Obama does have a record of agencies failing under his watch, or lack of watching, since he never knows what's going on until it's on CNN.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Cruz has no record of baby killing. Obama does have a record of agencies failing under his watch, or lack of watching, since he never knows what's going on until it's on CNN.
He's now personally prevented Ebola from rampaging across our shores for 5 years, 198 days, and FIVE hours, 30 minutes. Chalk up another personal victory for Obama!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm grateful that there are a lot of dead terrorists thanks to Obama. That's helped keep me alive.

I'm also grateful that liberals shut up when Obama does it. That's helped keep me sane.
That's pretty snarky for someone who's only alive due to Obama. I think you need to praise him some more. Say 20 "Hail Obama!"s and donate 10% of your next check to the Democratic Party
Old 08-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Cruz has no record of baby killing.
For now, yes.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
That's pretty snarky for someone who's only alive due to Obama. I think you need to praise him some more. Say 20 "Hail Obama!"s and donate 10% of your next check to the Democratic Party
I hear that every time a drone kills a terrorist, a hippie gets punched.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
The voices in your head don't count as a cite.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough. What happens to you when a civilian gets it?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fair enough. What happens to you when a civilian gets it?
A Republican gets his horns.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There is nothing to celebrate when another victim of Cognitive Dissonance is struck down! We must never forget, even for a moment of jocularity, that CD is the number one threat to the Republic, and must griddle our loins for the impending....hey, quit shoving!....conflict that even now... totally uncool, knock it off!....looms on the horizon....
Griddled loins? That sirloins on the barbie?Is it?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
As the sole executive power, he can make decisions about how TSA should handle passengers suspected of being ill. They put CDC stations in major airports for exactly that purpose.

If no orders are forthcoming from him and TSA or CDC get confused about their authority, then yes, that's on him.
More info on this

(WARNING!! contains factual information and may cause an allergic reaction in those that rely on partisan based speculation and a diet of Republican talking points)
Quote:
Can I get Ebola from a person who is infected but doesnít have any symptoms?

No. Individuals who are not symptomatic are not contagious. In order for the virus to be transmitted, an individual would have to have direct contact with an individual who is experiencing symptoms.

What is being done to prevent ill passengers in West Africa from getting on a plane?

CDC is assisting with active screening and education efforts on the ground in West Africa to prevent sick travelers from getting on planes. In addition, airports in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea are screening all outbound passengers for Ebola symptoms, including fever, and passengers are required to respond to a healthcare questionnaire. CDC is also surging support in the region by deploying 50 additional workers to help build capacity on the ground.

What is CDC doing in the U.S.?

On the remote possibility that an ill passenger enters the U.S., CDC has protocols in place to protect against further spread of disease. These include notification to CDC of ill passengers on a plane before arrival, investigation of ill travelers, and, if necessary, isolation. CDC has also provided guidance to airlines for managing ill passengers and crew and for disinfecting aircraft. CDC has issued a Health Alert Notice reminding U.S. healthcare workers of the importance of taking steps to prevent the spread of this virus, how to test and isolate suspected patients and how they can protect themselves from infection.

What about ill Americans with Ebola who are being brought to the U.S. for treatment? How is CDC protecting the American public?

CDC has very well-established protocols in place to ensure the safe transport and care of patients with infectious diseases back to the United States. These procedures cover the entire process -- from patients leaving their bedside in a foreign country to their transport to an airport and boarding a non-commercial airplane equipped with a special transport isolation unit, to their arrival at a medical facility in the United States that is appropriately equipped and staffed to handle such cases. CDCís role is to ensure that travel and hospitalization is done to minimize risk of spread of infection and to ensure that the American public is protected. Patients were evacuated in similar ways during SARS.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 AM

FEMA had protocols too. The VA, IRS, and ATF have protocols. Protocols do not imply that an agency can self-regulate while the boss plays golf.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
FEMA had protocols too. The VA, IRS, and ATF have protocols. Protocols do not imply that an agency can self-regulate while the boss plays golf.
What the fuck are you talking about? The President plays golf --> Ebola plague?!? My god man -- turn off Hannity before it's too late!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. That's what they are there for!

Gah, the stupid - it burns!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What the fuck are you talking about? The President plays golf --> Ebola plague?!? My god man -- turn off Hannity before it's too late!
It's too late.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 PM

This is not hard, morons. WHo is responsible when the agencies fail to follow their protocols? Whose responsibility is it to hold people accountable when they break their own rules? And when your government has made a habit of falling down on the job on a regular basis, wouldn't you have the slightest concern that it might happen again?

Let's start a pool. Which is going to be the next federal agency to majorly screw up? And will the President find out about before or after it reaches the mainstream media? C'mon, this'll be fun!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Another example of the "Full adaher" posting move -- make a ridiculous statement, be challenged and mocked for it, and back off immediately to some different (but usually equally ridiculous) statement, pretending the first one never happened.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Typical liberal Doper: acting like you've refuted something when you haven't even responded to the argument made. And this time I didn't even make a real argument! I just said that the President should be engaged on the ebola issue. The fact that you all need to preemptively absolve him or anything that might go wrong says a lot about your confidence in him.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cruz has no record of baby killing.
He has a rock-solid record of lying, which COULD mean he's already killed a baby and used its skull for a coffee mug.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM

How many politicians don't have a record of lying? They must all be baby killers.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
And this time I didn't even make a real argument!
Wow, we agree on something! You should end all your posts with this sentence.

Quote:
I just said that the President should be engaged on the ebola issue.
What evidence do you have that he's not engaged on it? Why shouldn't we just assume this is yet another instance of your strange, personal obsession with this President and saying anything you can think of to portray him in a bad light?

Quote:
The fact that you all need to preemptively absolve him or anything that might go wrong says a lot about your confidence in him.
This hasn't happened. You've preemptively criticized him, of course, but no one has "preemptively absolved him".

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 PM

I didn't say he was not. This whole argument started with a simple post of mine saying that given what happened with a person almost entering the US with ebola, that the President should be engaged on the issue and make sure the CDC has everything it needs in terms of resources and procedures to deal with a passenger entering the country with ebola.

Other posters interpreted that as blaming him for something. That's some pretty thin skin there.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM

It's your own fault if every post you make about Obama is picked over. You've demonstrated such bad judgement and poor analysis about him due to your extremely negative obsession with the man, that you shouldn't be surprised that your implications are picked up, challenged, and mocked.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How many politicians don't have a record of lying? They must all be baby killers.
Very, very few politicians have such a rich, colorful, and thorough record of lying as Ted Cruz. He's single-handedly causing a run on Politifact's "Pants on Fire" rating.

Quote:
...the President should be engaged on the issue and make sure the CDC has everything it needs in terms of resources...
It's kind of hard to do that when the Republican-led House of Representatives hasn't even marked up a funding bill for the CDC in the last four years.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Then he must take executive action! Not the overreaching, tyrannical kind, the other kind.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM

Pelosi and Reid are racking up a pretty impressive record of their own on Politifact. Pelosi's is comparable to Cruz's(although in her case we can write it off to being dim bulb. Cruz has no excuse).
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Then he must take executive action! Not the overreaching, tyrannical kind, the other kind.
You and he seem to be confused about what his job is. Seems that Dopers, and the President himself, see his job as Legislator-in-Chief. Everything else apparently is supposed to run on autopilot.

What fun! An unaccountable federal bureaucracy! The dream of every American.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You and he seem to be confused about what his job is. Seems that Dopers, and the President himself, see his job as Legislator-in-Chief. Everything else apparently is supposed to run on autopilot.

What fun! An unaccountable federal bureaucracy! The dream of every American.
More bizzaro-fact-free Hannity-esque nonsense. Par for the course.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Pelosi and Reid are racking up a pretty impressive record of their own on Politifact. Pelosi's is comparable to Cruz's(although in her case we can write it off to being dim bulb. Cruz has no excuse).
Factually false -- more than half of Pelosi's statements are rated as "half-true" or better (16 as "half-true" or better, 11 as "mostly false" or worse). Cruz's record is way, way worse: 11 as "half-true" or better, with 23 as "mostly false" or worse. That means Cruz is lying more than 2/3rds of the time!

Seriousy, adaher -- why do you say such easily provable false statements like "Pelosi's [record on Politifact] is comparable to Cruz's"? It's so, so easy to show that you're wrong! Did you even bother to check?