View Poll Results: Is the sandwich described below weird?
Yes, it's weird, and I wouldn't touch it, or I have had a similar sandwich and hated it. 36 24.32%
Yes, it's weird, but I would at least try it, or I have had a similar sandwich and enjoyed it. 24 16.22%
No, nothing weird about it, but it doesn't appeal to me, or I have had a similar sandwich and hated it. 35 23.65%
No, nothing weird about it, I would try it, or I have had a similar sandwich and enjoyed it. 28 18.92%
Whatever, don't care if your sandwich is weird... 25 16.89%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Naah, here it'd be just tree nuts. Cashews, almonds, macadamias, hazelnuts, maybe brazils, maybe pecans...if it had peanuts in it, people would think you were cheapening out on them. Peanuts are...how do I put this? Poor people food.
Peanuts certainly are put in mixes here to keep the price down. You can get peanut-less mixed nuts, but a typical mix will contain peanuts. It doesn't sound like they have quite the same reputation here in the US. I'd guess peanuts are by far the most consumed nut/nut-like substance here in the US. I don't think there's any associations with poor people; it's just American food. It's typical to buy a bag of shell-on peanuts at sporting events, especially baseball games, where it's part of the culture.

Thanks for the note on "groundnut." It looks like it has several different meanings, depending on where in the world you are and what variety of English you're speaking. It looks like there's at least five different things it can refer to other than a synonym for "peanut" (which is what I only knew it as)

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-14-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, peanuts in mixed nuts are cheaping out over here, too. It's just that most folks don't care. You can get mixed nuts without peanuts, for those who do care, but they'll brag about it on the package, and they'll cost significantly more.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I also wouldn't have an almond butter+jelly sandwich...
That's actually pretty good.

But PB & Chee is of The Devil, and any adherents should be tied down to a large bed and spanked. Thoroughly.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Peanuts certainly are put in mixes here to keep the price down. You can get peanut-less mixed nuts, but a typical mix will contain peanuts. It doesn't sound like they have quite the same reputation here in the US. I'd guess peanuts are by far the most consumed nut/nut-like substance here in the US. I don't think there's any associations with poor people; it's just American food.
I recall many posts here about regional foods along the lines of "of course I don't eat that peasant food." Peanuts are definitely on the cheap end but, like you said, just American food. I know many wealthy people who eat grits and scrapple for breakfast and eat peanuts out of the bag, and I'm sure plenty of the classy people here would turn their noses up.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
PB, mayonnaise, and pickles was common in my house growing up. I haven't had one in decades, and I don't remember if I liked it.
...I'm intrigued.

Are they sweet pickles or something like dill?
Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

It’s weird but I’d try it
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
...I'm intrigued.

Are they sweet pickles or something like dill?
I dont do the mayo, but I like bread and butter pickles for PB & pickle sandwiches.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I recall many posts here about regional foods along the lines of "of course I don't eat that peasant food." Peanuts are definitely on the cheap end but, like you said, just American food. I know many wealthy people who eat grits and scrapple for breakfast and eat peanuts out of the bag, and I'm sure plenty of the classy people here would turn their noses up.
I’m classy, and I revel in peasant food. I slow-cooked beef flanken with onions, garlic, and tomatoes yesterday, and ate it over dumplings. Then I played Vahgner on the grahnd piano.

It’s a Scorpio thing.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 06-14-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Sounds like it could be good or bad, depending on the cheese and peanut butter. I've heard of it, but never tried it. At this point I ration my bread, so I don't use it much for experimenting.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Substitute cheddar for the American cheese...

My dad and I both used to eat peanut butter and cheese sandwiches a lot when I was a kid. It's a perfectly normal type of sandwich as far as I'm concerned.

My dad also did peanut butter and sweet pickle, but I don't like sweet pickles so I didn't eat it.

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 06-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:47 PM

Wouldn't eat it because I hate American cheese. I have always hated American cheese. When I was about four or five years old, my family took a vacation to visit my mom's family in Ohio (from California). We were pretty poor at the time, so we occasionally slept in the car on the way. And we definitely did not eat in restaurants. My mom got a loaf of cheap bread and a package of American Cheese. We pulled off the road on a pull-out with a slight downhill. She made sandwiches with the cheese and bread. I took one bite and threw mine down that hill. I knew I wouldn't get anything to eat again until dinner, but I didn't care. I wasn't going to eat something I didn't like.

I was the kid in the family with the "champagne tastes on a beer budget" reputation.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 AM

Peanut Butter does not go well at all with Cheese. The PB want to be complimented with something soft and sweet. Sugary if possible.

American cheese though? Yeah, that could work.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
Peanut Butter does not go well at all with Cheese. The PB want to be complimented with something soft and sweet. Sugary if possible.
Nah, crunchy and sour! Pickles! (Seriously, I think peanut butter does scream out for a bit of acid and crunch, but clearly we're used to pairing it with sweet stuff here in the US.)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Pickles and jelly are both sweet and both sour, just in different proportions. Also both juicy.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Pickles and jelly are both sweet and both sour, just in different proportions. Also both juicy.
Depends on what you mean. The pickles I buy usually dont have any sugar. I suppose you can call the natural sweetness of cukes, but I wouldnt call that sweet. To be fair, though, I do prefer bread and butter pickles for this, so I dont use my usual pickle, but a sweet and sour one.