Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 PM

I have to say, I don't get it..... [cars by gas pumps that are not being filled]

You arrive at a gas station and all pumps are occupied by cars. Nearly half of them have a car by them but are not pumping gas. You wait until one opens. In the time you waited for a free pump, pumped your gas (paying at the pump), and finish up, several of the cars are STILL sitting there having not pumped any gas.

In this day and age, are there really that many people that have to pre-pay?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:25 PM

People pump their gas and then go inside to shop for stuff without moving away from the pump.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Or, if they're paying with cash, and the station requires you to pay before you pump, they pull in, go into the station, and are shopping for snacks before paying (or standing in line, waiting to pay).
Old 06-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

At the local convenience store W.A.G.S. in Vermont there is a very specific instruction at the pump to pump your gas and then move to a regular parking spot to pay since there are only two pumps and there is no pay at the pump.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

There are a lot of people that aren't buying fuel but simply park at a pump. They go in for coffee or lottery tickets or lunch or whatever. No, they don't care about your wait.

Also, an employee might park at a pump to deter crime. A holdup is less likely if the robber thinks there are customers inside.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:13 PM

At our local mini-mart/gas station, the regular parking spots are often full, so there is no point in even trying to move your car from the pump while you go inside to pay or shop.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 PM

Assholes. Plain and simple.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM

If you'd just switch to an all electric vehicle this wouldn't even be a thing for you.

Sorry, channeling my self-righteous son there for a second. But seriously, I've never noticed the OP situation. Probably just means I'm unobservant and will be easily mugged one day. Hell, it may have already happened but I was too clueless to notice.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
At the local convenience store W.A.G.S. in Vermont there is a very specific instruction at the pump to pump your gas and then move to a regular parking spot to pay since there are only two pumps and there is no pay at the pump.
I haven't run into a station that lets you pump then pay in years. But the point stands, if the pumps are crowded I'll swipe, pump, then pull to a regular space to make any additional purchase. If I'm the only vehicle out there though, I'll park at the pump, go in and get and pay for my stuff, then swipe, pump and leave.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 PM

People often park and then go in and buy other things, and if they have a couple of young children who need to go potty, that can take a while.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM

So many stations are finding card skimmers attached these days. I know lots off people who only pay inside. The lines can be long.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Thread title modified to more clearly indicate the topic. Please use more descriptive thread titles.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
But seriously, I've never noticed the OP situation.
I see it all the time. No one in the car for the entire time I pump. Still there when I leave. I vote assholes with no self-awareness. "I got mine" types with no empathy. If you explained exactly to them why what they are doing is bothersome, they wouldn't get it.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Well most of the gas stations I go to the cashiers and or the customers are incompetent buffoons so the line inside can get really backed up with a long wait, you know granny needs her cigarettes and scratch-offs, and the card reader is down.

Seriously though I usually buy a drink or something before or after I get gas, does anyone really pump gas, and then move their car to a parking space and then go inside and buy whatever they need?

Last edited by pool; 06-18-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Seriously though I usually buy a drink or something before or after I get gas, does anyone really pump gas, and then move their car to a parking space and then go inside and buy whatever they need?
I do, occasionally. Only when I know that I need gas and cannot wait, and also want something inside.

I never get my gas and then go in and get something inside and leave my car in the spot, even if there isn't anyone else there, because I'm in the habit of parking afterward.

But more often than getting gas and then parking elsewhere, I park elsewhere and then get gas, because I most often do the combo shopping when I am on vacation, and I want to also combine the stop with a bathroom break, and if there aren't any restrooms or if they are broken, I'm not going to get gas or anything else at that establishment.

When I am at home, I get gas or get a quick snack but rarely combine the two.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

This is odd, I don't think I have seen this behavior ever here in New Jersey...finally something that this fine state does well.
(though I would gladly put up with it if I were allowed to pump my own gas and get on my way)

Elsewhere, I have seen this going on, and agree that it is a combination of pay-inside folks along with the occasional rude individual. It only takes a few to make it seem like everyone is doing this.

It's like that lady who comes by my house to pick up or drop off kids for music lessons, and she parallel parks her car in the street at the base of my driveway, completely blocking the driveway. No one can get out or out while she is there. This is usually right at the time I'm coming home, so I end up parking in the street.

Some people are like that.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM

The maximum assholes leave their car running for bonus points. "What? It's a company car, I don't have to pay for it!?"
Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Yes. Every single time. Most of the gas stations I use are heavily trafficked with lines at the pumps and it would be incredibly rude not to move your car before you go inside to shop.

Although I usually do it the other way, I’ll park at the mini-mart and get my snacks or whatever, then I’ll pull up to the pumps and gas up on the way out.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-18-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM

I rarely buy anything at a gas station other than gas, but when I pump gas and need to use the rest room, I can't remember ever moving my car from the pump first. Same w/ the rare occasions that the pump won't print a receipt. Of course, I can't recall ever being at a gas station that is so crowded that there isn't a free pump elsewhere.

Unless I am travelling, I make a point of getting my gas at times that the stations won't be crowded - i.e., generally early in the a.m., avoiding Friday...

Seemingly far more problematic are the people who fail to pull through to the furthest pump. But I imagine that with people entering the station from different directions, and gas-tank spouts on different sides of the cars, this probably is not really an issue.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Pump Instructions
Please swipe your credit card to begin or, if paying in cash, go inside and pay at the cash register
(And there's often a line)
(And they often charge more if you use a credit card, which motivates some annoyed people to pay in cash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Pump Instructions
Do you want a receipt? Y/N
you push Y
Quote:
Please obtain receipt from cashier inside
(= They are lazy about replacing the receipt printer-tape in the gas pump)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, because I'm not a self-centered jerk. Blocking the pumps so others can't get gas is just rude. In busy gas stations leaving a car there might really jam up the pump area that no one can get through to the open pump.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Also, an employee might park at a pump to deter crime. A holdup is less likely if the robber thinks there are customers inside.
This makes sense. It also explains why I sometimes see more cars at the pump than customers in the station, which I've seen even at stations with no bathrooms.

Quote:
I do. The only time I won't move my car is if I expected to be able to do all my business at the pump but I have to go in unexpectedly. Like to get a printout of the receipt. Or to pay cash because the station didn't prominently post their unreasonable premium for card charges. Or to get change from the preceding. In those cases, the station's reduced ability to service customers is the price they pay for needlessly inconveniencing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
This is odd, I don't think I have seen this behavior ever here in New Jersey...finally something that this fine state does well.
(though I would gladly put up with it if I were allowed to pump my own gas and get on my way)
It should be pretty obvious that New Jersey customers aren't going into the station to pay when the attendant is right there pumping the gas. That cuts down on the majority of empty cars by the pumps. If any other customers were tempted to park at the pumps to shop, the nearby attendant yelling at them would pretty well eliminate them. New Jersey isn't doing anything right though. I've wasted way more time waiting for an attendant to pump my gas or give me my card back in New Jersey than I have waited at others stations for seemingly abandoned cars to be reclaimed by their owners. All New Jersey has done is reduced the effect of an occasional bottleneck at some stations by creating a far worse bottleneck at all of them.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you'd just switch to an all electric vehicle this wouldn't even be a thing for you.
Charging takes longer, so it would be worse. People at work already leave their cars charging more than the allowed 2 hour limit, although they are billed a nominal fine for doing so.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Uh, yeah. Because it's the right thing to do.

If you were in a self-checkout at a grocery store, would you pay for all your items, and then just leave them there blocking the scanner while you went to the bathroom?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM

There is a difference in where people are buying gas. Like some others have said, it would never occur to me that there could be a problem with leaving my truck at the pump to go inside(though I rarely go inside at all)simply because I never see a gas station that busy.

If I pulled into a gas station and people were lined up waiting for pumps, I would think there was a hurricane approaching and I somehow missed the news

Now that I think about it, if I do go inside, most often I'll start the pump and leave it filling while I go in to get a drink or whatever. Depending on the pump it usually takes somewhere between three and four minutes to fill my tank. When I come out the pump is still running so no precious time is lost for anyone. But even if I filled the tank first there are still plenty of pumps available so no one has to wait.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayaker View Post
There is a difference in where people are buying gas. Like some others have said, it would never occur to me that there could be a problem with leaving my truck at the pump to go inside(though I rarely go inside at all)simply because I never see a gas station that busy.

Yeah, if it were THAT busy, I'd pull to a parking space. The only examples I can think of would be the station nearest to the airport rental return lots.

I occasionally pass REALLY crowded gas stations - mostly Friday or Saturday afternoons. In those situations, yeah, occupying a pump when not pumping would be a dick move.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

If the number of pumps is plentiful enough to the point where I will not be keeping someone from using one, depending on the layout and business of the station I may park at the pump if I am shopping but not buying gas, because I'm not the best at backing up and maneuvering around other people and cars in tight spots.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
It should be pretty obvious that New Jersey customers aren't going into the station to pay when the attendant is right there pumping the gas....
Woosh!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Uh, yeah. Because it's the right thing to do.

If you were in a self-checkout at a grocery store, would you pay for all your items, and then just leave them there blocking the scanner while you went to the bathroom?
Well, something similar does happen at the grocers - people leave a self-serve register while they run to some aisle for that one thing they forgot.

As far as gas stations, what I see around here is people panhandling at the pumps. I pull in and notice a car with people in it, just sitting in their car. I go in, get a drink and pay for my gas, return and pump it and, just as I'm about to leave, the people at the other pump hop out and begin a sob story about how they're from some small town nearby and just need a few bucks for gas to get home. There are three different stations I use between my job and home and I've seen this at all of them.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Well, something similar does happen at the grocers - people leave a self-serve register while they run to some aisle for that one thing they forgot.
Yes, that would be similarly annoying.

I liked the gas stations on AF bases when I was still in. You could yell at people who went inside without moving their car.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Assholes. Plain and simple.
No, these are not plain and simple assholes. These are the assholes that take five fucking minutes at the cash register buying lottery tickets. Several levels above (below?) your common simple assholes.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Well most of the gas stations I go to the cashiers and or the customers are incompetent buffoons so the line inside can get really backed up with a long wait, you know granny needs her cigarettes and scratch-offs, and the card reader is down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
No, these are not plain and simple assholes. These are the assholes that take five fucking minutes at the cash register buying lottery tickets. Several levels above (below?) your common simple assholes.
Why do some people default to cigarettes, scratch-offs, and lottery tickets? People buy all kinds of stuff at gas stations/convenience stores.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 PM

Because, in the case of scratch off lottery tickets, there are 20 different types, and the assholes are, at the same time, both very specific and quite unsure of which ones they want and how many. It is a tax on stupid people, but you really need to watch these guys in action to realize just how stupid they are.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Yea, I now never go inside and always pay by card at the pump. Not every single one, but most have the dumb as dirt clerks and the customers are no better. I've seen people take as long as five minutes to purchase lotto and cigs. I've been the third person in line and stood there for twenty minutes just to pay for my gas. They forever lost a customer with me by not streamlining all their bullshit.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM

In almost twenty years of driving around the greater Chicago area, I can maybe recall half a dozen times I've ever had to wait for an open pump at a gas station, period. It surprises me that this is apparently a common enough occurrence to cause outrage.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
In almost twenty years of driving around the greater Chicago area, I can maybe recall half a dozen times I've ever had to wait for an open pump at a gas station, period. It surprises me that this is apparently a common enough occurrence to cause outrage.
I've seen it half a dozen times this year. Not all of them blocked traffic, because the stations weren't busy. But the cars still sat there empty the whole time I was there, so if anyone did come in, they couldn't use the pump. It's a much bigger issue if you stop on interstate gas stations, with all the traffic. They are often full.

It's still rude.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:52 PM

I think it is just unthinking rudeness, or the zombie apocalypse.

A gas station/convenience store attempted to open on my town. To have the store they needed a certain number of parking spots. They justified that by including the 6 or 8 spots at the pumps as parking for the store.

While their permit was accepted, local pushback caused them to abandon the idea, and our long standing local gas station quickly updated to modern standards.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
When I see a place with specific instructions about paying after you pump and a convenience store, sometimes it's "move the car before paying", but more often "don't move your car until you've paid". If the first, the next person can't pump after you've paid anyway, so if you pump, go in, help your kids use the bathroom, use it yourself, wash your hands and make sure every kid has, get snacks, then pay… the next person is standing at the pump, sighing and wishing you'd get a move on.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM

If there are three or four empty pumps and it's hot as Hades outside as it often is in the southern US, we will park at a pump to be in the shade while we go inside to buy our things.

If it's a busy station or a peak pumping time, that's a different story. But if it's not going to cause an immediate backup, I'll park there because I don't like to sit and burn gas to keep it cool while I'm not in it.

You could argue that it's a a dick move. But if I'm not preventing someone else from getting to the pump, then it's not causing a problem.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
But seriously, I've never noticed the OP situation. Probably just means I'm unobservant and will be easily mugged one day. Hell, it may have already happened but I was too clueless to notice.
Those aren't muggers, those are pickpockets. Where's your wallet now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I vote assholes with no self-awareness. "I got mine" types with no empathy. If you explained exactly to them why what they are doing is bothersome, they wouldn't get it.
Or, for the latter, they'd not only get it, but they'd mentally chalk up a star in the WIN column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
A holdup is less likely if the robber thinks there are customers inside.
Yeah, 'cause it might be Phil in be there, getting doughnuts.
[It's a slight hijack, but it seemed obligatory.]
https://vimeo.com/140163807

---G!

You were not put on this earth to get it, Mistah Burton!
.....--Lo Pan
.....Big Trouble In Little China

Last edited by Grestarian; 06-21-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Seemingly far more problematic are the people who fail to pull through to the furthest pump.
I see this a lot more. I would love to know where some of you guys live that you don't regularly see full gas stations. I live and work in and around the Northern VA area and most of the time I get gas in the evening - any night - there are cars double stacked.
now I do usually go to a low priced gas station - Wawa - but there you go.
I always pay via credit card and sometimes go in to buy a soda etc while my car is filling up. I don't do this if there are people waiting or if it is crowded. I just wait at the pump until done.
I am one of those persnickety persons who records all of his gas mileage and how many miles I go. (fuelly.com)
I sometimes do this at the pump after I am finished but only the rare times it isn't crowded. All other times i pull off to the side.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
I see this a lot more. I would love to know where some of you guys live that you don't regularly see full gas stations. I live and work in and around the Northern VA area and most of the time I get gas in the evening - any night - there are cars double stacked.
Detroit metro area. On the off chance I see a full gas station, I go to the next one. Gas stations are all over the place, so there's no need to wait in line to get gas. The only exception is Costco, which regularly has a backup. Although I'm a member, I prefer to go to a gas station with no lines. It already takes too long to fill the tank; I'm not going to wait for others to fill theirs.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 PM

You guys must shop at the most half-assed run gas stations/ convenience stores. I manage a multi-million dollar a year store. Unless it's stupid panicked sheep (Hurricane Katrina gas panic, or Lottey is a huge jackpot comes to mind) you can easily run people in and out with simple scheduling. My business gets mauled between 7 and 8 in the morning and 4 to 6 in the afternoon. I always have all my registers open at these times and an extra person floating for side work and customer assistance. I know my customers and I know my business model. You have ice bags, medicine, beer, or sunglasses come on down. Gas sales and cigarettes mean next to nothing to me because that's not where I make my money. Especially if you pay with a card at the pump. You take care of your local customers because they keep you whole throughout the year. The funny irony is the Lottery customers most of you scoff at makes me far more than your gas fill up ever does.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Not all stations around here are prepay. At those stations, I'm not moving the car away from the pump until I've payed for the gas. I figure I probably could move to a parking spot and then go pay, but I'm not exactly itching for the cashier to misinterpret it and call the cops to report a "drive-off," so better safe than sorry there.

Pre-pay stations, I move away after pumping since I've already paid, but I try my damnedest not to have to use pre-pay stations, because the whole process is just a pain in the ass.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Unless I'm dangerously close to empty (IOW, just about never), if I see that all the pumps at a gas station are occupied, I keep driving. Even out in the boonies, there's another gas station ten or fifteen miles down the road.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 AM

I've started paying at the pump. I rarely go inside the store.

I move my vehicle and park by the store if I do go inside to buy something. Usually it's for bread or milk.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalk View Post

In this day and age, are there really that many people that have to pre-pay?
1) Prepaying and paying by card but trying to fill it up. Which sometimes means going to the clerk and paying for 20 gallons, gassing, going back to the clerk so he can process the refund/difference, and otherwise jumping through hoops and being pained.

2) Shopping for a couple things - snacks or food - after gassing. I use Speedway a lot and sometimes get my lunch there. Depending on how many people have ordered before me it can take a bit. Yeah - I could move the car but --- sometimes I don't.

3) Having my morning dump.

4) Non-pump parking being full and empty spots at the pumps.

5) Sometimes I am just a dick and don't really care. The pump is covered from the rain and I can make a fast dash inside. And if you have to wait 5 minutes I may just not care. Not often -- but it happens.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post

5) Sometimes I am just a dick and don't really care. The pump is covered from the rain and I can make a fast dash inside. And if you have to wait 5 minutes I may just not care. Not often -- but it happens.
I may just pee on your car. I am a dick. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Welcome to America! I got mine!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I only park at the pump if I am getting gas. but no, I dont move it until after I have taken my piss and gotten my drink and change from inside.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:25 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I may just pee on your car. I am a dick. It doesn't happen often, but it happens.

Welcome to America! I got mine!
Having parked on the South Side flats it wouldn't be the first time my car was used as a toilet/outhouse. Sometimes we either accept that people can be people sometimes or we go live in a cave with wolves.