Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Does this work for everyone?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM

I don't really understand the point versus just creating a new thread and linking to it, but I guess I don't care either way.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

Does this work for everyone?
Fine by me. Thanks Chronos.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Fine by me. Thanks Chronos.

You can please all of the people some of the time, and you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Who is John Lydgate?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Suits me, thanks. Will the James part eventually drop off?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

I'll probably leave it on, because there will be some folks who start from the first page, which is all about Holzhauer.

And yeah, I would have thought a new thread would make more sense, too, but this is what folks seemed to want.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Also, if there is a Tournament of Champions this year (it's usually around November), I expect him to be there and there will be quite a lot of interest in watching his performance. And Jeopardy! may do a special tournament with him and Ken Jennings (and perhaps Brad Rutter?).
Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Tournament Teen just gave question where the answer is "vague" as "What is vaag?" Must be a word he has only encountered in print?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone happen to know when we'll start seeing shows that were recorded after James Holzhauer's run started being broadcast? In other words, with players who have seen him play on air, not just in the studio, and may try to emulate his tactics? Will we have to wait for the start of the new season?
Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Does anyone happen to know when we'll start seeing shows that were recorded after James Holzhauer's run started being broadcast? In other words, with players who have seen him play on air, not just in the studio, and may try to emulate his tactics? Will we have to wait for the start of the new season?
I suspect many will try, but few will succeed. I also doubt the average contestant will have the cojones to risk it.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:49 PM

Yeah, and I agree with those who have made the point that the strategy is wildly risky unless you have extremely strong trivia knowledge like James does. If you are closer to average (in Jeopardy terms), I don't think it's the optimal way to play.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Today's news said James Holzhauer made a pancreatic cancer donation in Alex Trebek's name. It was $1,109.14, an amount he used during the show. Surely he could have donated more, but it was a nice gesture. I imagine he's getting lots of similar requests from now on.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:56 AM

That amount is his daughter's birthday.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:25 PM

Jackson on today's show really has panache. Kentucky must be a different place than I imagine it to be, if a teen like him can thrive there.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Some "interesting" answers/questions in the Teen Tournament. For instance, when the question was supposed to be "What is the Lotus position?" the guy said "What is Crisscross Applesauce?" I don't remember what it was, but a girl gave a similarly--uh--"quirky" answer to something last night.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Some "interesting" answers/questions in the Teen Tournament. For instance, when the question was supposed to be "What is the Lotus position?" the guy said "What is Crisscross Applesauce?" I don't remember what it was, but a girl gave a similarly--uh--"quirky" answer to something last night.
I remember one girl got away with "ankylosaurus" when she should have said "stegosaurus." (She didn't win.)

Last edited by terentii; 06-26-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Ankylosaurus isn't a bad answer - they definitely have plates on their back, and the tail clubs on some specimens are arguably spiked.

The really weird answers came in Final, where two of them guessed that the first three Presidents of Canada were US born. (Granted one changed it to the Philippines, which was also wrong, but...Jesus. I don't even know where to start on where that goes wrong.)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:37 PM

Agonizing tiebreaker today. All about the signaling, boo.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I guess the clue was "This country's first three Presidents were born in the US"? I don't know for sure, but my first two guesses would be Israel and Liberia.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

First eight presidents. From the J! Archive, "This nation's 1st 8 presidents were all born in the U.S.; the 1st local-born president came in 1884, 37 years after independence."
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

OK, in that case, my answer would definitely have been Liberia.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Agonizing tiebreaker today. All about the signaling, boo.
I feel really bad for the kid that lost the tiebreaker. I was watching the show recorded on my DVR, and when it got to the end of the recording the freeze frame on my screen was Alex shaking the other kid's hand and the kid that lost was hunched over with his hands in his hair and a look of "Why?!" on his face.

And, yeah, it was a 'gimme' clue so whichever one timed their signal press best was going to win.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:06 AM

Pretty good finals for the Teen Tournament. I saw some of the contestants from this week posting in the Jeopardy subreddit and they seemed to be having a lot of fun and were excited about that tiebreaker game from the semifinals.

I was very impressed by the performance of the contestant that was only in 8th grade. Speaking of, I think the following post was in reference to him:

Quote:
Tournament Teen just gave question where the answer is "vague" as "What is vaag?" Must be a word he has only encountered in print?
I noticed in one of the final games, he similarly pronounced the word "plague" with a 'short a' sound, like 'flag' but with a p.

It made me think of Britta from Community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSej13LRpE
Old 06-29-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I feel really bad for the kid that lost the tiebreaker. I was watching the show recorded on my DVR, and when it got to the end of the recording the freeze frame on my screen was Alex shaking the other kid's hand and the kid that lost was hunched over with his hands in his hair and a look of "Why?!" on his face.

And, yeah, it was a 'gimme' clue so whichever one timed their signal press best was going to win.

Yup And he was so delightfully jaunty.

Couldn't they offer a tougher clue at least?

Last edited by SlackerInc; 06-29-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Yup And he was so delightfully jaunty.

Couldn't they offer a tougher clue at least?
Yes; for a tiebreaker question, there should be some "knowledge factor." It shouldn't have been pure muscle-fiber twitch speed, as it was with this one.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
My daughter just turned 16. When she was in elementary school, any time there was some sort of presentation and they wanted the kids to sit, cross-legged and quietly, on the floor, the teachers would announce "Criss cross applesauce."

I assume the teachers in his school did that, too.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes; for a tiebreaker question, there should be some "knowledge factor." It shouldn't have been pure muscle-fiber twitch speed, as it was with this one.
I look at the tie breaker as a random coin flip. They have an allotted amount of time for the show's content and don't want to exceed it since exceeding it means sacrificing ad revenue. They don't want to take the risk that both contestants miss the tie breaker. People complain similarly about unfairness in the NFL's overtime rules, but my opinion is that you had your chance to win outright during the rest of the game. Now the game needs to be over in a short time. Same for Jeopardy.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Was the kid who mispronounced vague and plague the same one who said he watched Walker: Texas Ranger with his father? I wonder if he was home schooled?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
They don't want to take the risk that both contestants miss the tie breaker. ...
That does make sense.