Old 05-29-2019, 02:28 PM

When did they stop putting cheese on the Filet O' Fish?

I haven't ordered a Filet O' Fish from McDonald's in years but I had a craving today. The sandwich always had a slice of cheese on it which I thought made the sandwich. Today... no cheese. Did they just forget or was it phased out at some point?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM

It's still there:
https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/p...et-o-fish.html
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Well, the cheese has been getting smaller over time, so I guess this was the natural next step.

Straight from the clown's mouth. Cheese.

Curses! Ninja'd!

Who moved the cheese?

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 05-29-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Well, the cheese has been getting smaller over time, so I guess this was the natural next step.
I worked at McDonald's in the mid-'80s as a teenager, and the cheese was a half-slice then, too, just as it's shown in enalzi's link.

I clearly remember this because when you made a Filet-O-Fish, you had to manually fold each slice of American cheese in half to make it split into two half-slices.

P.S. I always assumed that this was because the fish patty is rectangular, and a full slice of American cheese would result in too much cheese hanging over the sides of the fish patty.

Last edited by robby; 05-29-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I worked at McDonald's in the mid-'80s as a teenager, and the cheese was a half-slice then, too, just as it's shown in enalzi's link.

I clearly remember this because when you made a Filet-O-Fish, you had to manually fold each slice of American cheese in half to make it split into two half-slices.
I briefly worked for McDonald's Customer service. We had a canned response about how it's always been a half-slice.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I stand corrected.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Does anyone remember the Burger King Whaler?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 PM

First how cheese-like is this "cheese"? It always seemed to be Velveeta-ish which doesn't count for me.

Yeah, I remember the slices being pre-scored for easier folding/breaking into two. The whole thing was set up for making two at a time. But since usually only one was sold before the sandwich timed-out, there'd often be one that got tossed.

(I hated the thing. Mrs. FtG liked them. You gotta overlook such things if you want to stay together, right?)

Last edited by ftg; 05-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

It's definitely still there -- I had it during Lent, and I knows, because I always order it without cheese (because who the hell puts cheese on a fish sandwich? FWIW, it's not a cheese & fish thing, as I don't mind cheese on fish in other contexts. I feel the same about cheese on a chicken sandwich), while my wife gets it normal, with cheese.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:59 PM

It's on at my MickeyDs. You got robbed.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I briefly worked for McDonald's Customer service. We had a canned response about how it's always been a half-slice.
I'm betting there are some stories that are real horror show. I'm oddly interested in hearing them...in a faces of death sort of way.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
First how cheese-like is this "cheese"? It always seemed to be Velveeta-ish which doesn't count for me.
It's the standard American cheese that McDonald's uses, so it's already pretty processed. If one expects authentic cheese at McD's, one is likely to be sorely disappointed.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiarun View Post
They still have it, but they call it the Big Fish now. I still(well as of 2-3 years ago) ask for a whaler and they don't bat an eye.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Filet o'Fish is the only sandwich I'll get from Mickey D's, and the last one I got had "cheese" on it.

It was the kind of "cheese" I grew up with, the kind that comes individually wrapped and you make grilled cheese for your kids with it, but yes, it had cheese on it.

Most likely, the sandwich maker simply forgot it.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:39 PM

When I worked at McDonald's i made the mistake of using a whole slice of cheese on the Fo'F. After getting reamed out by my manager, I set my sights on sweet, sweet revenge. Oh yes! I was sent to making parfaits, where I added 6 blueberries instead of 5!! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

When I worked at Jack in the Box, they had a fish sandwich called the Moby Jack, which had cheese. I see it is no longer on the menu. Perhaps people thought it was made from whales.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 PM

When McD's opened in Moscow in January 1990, most of their ingredients were imported from Germany. The cheese was definitely different, still processed but more like cheddar than American. You could tell right away.

I believe they now produce everything locally. At least I wasn't aware of the cheese tasting different the last time I ate there, which was a couple of weeks ago.

There were a lot of funny stories about the opening back in 1990. My favorite was the one in which all of the toilet seats were stolen the first evening, carried off under peoples' coats. Some of the older customers (and probably younger ones too) couldn't figure out how to use the flip-door garbage bins. I saw one pensioner stare open-mouthed at a bin like it was something from another planet when one of the workers (a girl of about 18) showed him how it worked.

At the time, I was working as a fixer for a US TV network. One evening when McD's gave a bunch of visiting orphans free meals, we were instructed to go down to Pushkin Square and "shoot the orphans."

Last edited by terentii; 05-29-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM

Such an unfortunate name for a sandwich.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
........... a full slice of American cheese would result in too much cheese
I'm trying to wrap my head around the term "too much cheese". It just seems so impossible to me.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiarun View Post
I worked at a Burger King for one halcyon summer during high school. The Whaler was very popular at our store, especially if you ordered it as "a Whaler made like a Whopper."

I'll also note that even today, McDonald's is the only one of the major fast food chains that actually puts too much tartar sauce on their fish sandwich*. I can't eat one of those things without spilling some sauce on my shirt.

*unlike "too much cheese," it turns out that "too much tartar sauce" is a thing.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:02 PM

I must've just ordered them without the cheese as a kid. The tartar sauce, I remember. But not th echeese.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Looks like I got screwed two ways. I just saw an ad that not only showed cheese on the sandwich, but you can get it as part of a $5 mix and match so I could have gotten a second one, or a Big Mac, or Quarter Pounder with Cheese, or 10 piece McNuggets. I paid something like $5.22 for one sandwich and small fries. Basically I could have gotten twice as much for a dollar more.

I know they aren't obligated to tell me how to save money but they normally do.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around the term "too much cheese". It just seems so impossible to me.
Like robby I worked at a McD's in the mid-1980's and the filet was my favorite menu item. So when on lunch break on a few occasions I "jazzed up" my sandwich by using an actual full slice of cheese like all those rich people eat.

Honest to God, it was distinctly inferior to the standard model. The cheese to fried fish ratio just didn't work as well. Those McD food'gineers got it right the first time.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 05-30-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:01 AM

The perfect filet-o-fish would have no cheese and about 1/3 the tartar sauce. Also a bit of black pepper.

The whaler was the bomb, but the Wendy's fish filet is second only to Marconi's* lobster rolls.

*In Portsmouth NH. Or used to be. Don't order the roll at Yoken's, they are really only good at hot stuff.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:10 AM

I eat something like 4 Filet O Fishes per week, and they always have cheese on them. The only inconsistency that’s problematic is the amount of tartar sauce, which appears to vary a lot depending the the location and/or preparer. And yes, the Whaler is now the Big Fish. Decent sandwich, but I rate the FOF as the best fast food sandwich ever (with The Whopper Jr. at #2).
Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

One of the guys at work regularly sits near me and eats 2 Filets-o-Fish® for lunch. I often remember how I used to get one when I took my kids for McDonald's. I was travelling earlier in the week and decided to stop for a toilet break at a convenient McDonald's and have my first Filet-o-Fish® for a long time.

As they now have touch screen ordering, to allow you to avoid the queueing, I thought I would check it out. What a treat. You can order an extra filet for your Filet-o-Fish® and either an extra slice or half slice of cheese. The double filet Filet-o-Fish® was all I hoped it would be.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
The only inconsistency that’s problematic is the amount of tartar sauce, which appears to vary a lot depending the the location and/or preparer.
That's interesting, since McD's uses a handheld pump-action dispenser that always delivers a "standard" portion of sauce. Any employee caught giving out more than one pump's worth would be reprimanded for breaking protocol.

If there's any excess sauce on the sandwich or in its wrapper, my daughter and I scoop it up with French fries. I got hooked on the fries+tartar sauce combo when I lived in Czechoslovakia.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
That's interesting, since McD's uses a handheld pump-action dispenser that always delivers a "standard" portion of sauce. Any employee caught giving out more than one pump's worth would be reprimanded for breaking protocol.

If there's any excess sauce on the sandwich or in its wrapper, my daughter and I scoop it up with French fries. I got hooked on the fries+tartar sauce combo when I lived in Czechoslovakia.
That's what I thought, but I've received FOF's with barely a coating of sauce and others with too much. At one particular location that is notorious for sauce stinginess, I've asked for extra sauce and ended up with way too much. I hate opening up sandwiches after going through the drive-thru just to check, but have started having to do it.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
That's what I thought, but I've received FOF's with barely a coating of sauce and others with too much. At one particular location that is notorious for sauce stinginess, I've asked for extra sauce and ended up with way too much. I hate opening up sandwiches after going through the drive-thru just to check, but have started having to do it.
Probably calibrated wrong. Mayo, tarter sauce, and big mac sauce are all dispensed by caulking gun type devices. But they all do different amounts. So if you put the tarter sauce in the big mac gun, you get way too much.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 PM

I dunno the exacts of the cheese, but it's definitely better stuff than velveeta or kraft singles "cheese".
Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I dunno the exacts of the cheese, but it's definitely better stuff than velveeta or kraft singles "cheese".
It’s high-grade aged Stilton. Shhhhh...don’t tell!