Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
There's no amount of money that would get me to have sex with a stranger - I'm not poor enough that I need to do it, and the stupidly large amounts of money that would be required to even start enticing me would in turn make me highly suspicious of the offer. I'm a cautious sort.

Not to mention, I have my pride. I don't want to have sex with a stranger, and I certainly don't want to prostitute myself for money. My ego would suffer no matter how well I was paid.

Heck, I wouldn't even have sex with somebody if I got to know them first and liked them. I wouldn't on the first date, or the second date, or the third - I'm a "get engaged first at the very least" sort of guy.
  #52  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Probably because a lot more men would have sex with a woman for any price than vice versa. A man wouldn't make a suitable punch line.
A man wouldn’t make a suitable punch line because it’s another misogynistic joke
where men get to put women down. Why the fuck someone decided it was funny enough to quote the punch line is beyond me.
  #53  
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 PM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
A man wouldnít make a suitable punch line because itís another misogynistic joke
where men get to put women down. Why the fuck someone decided it was funny enough to quote the punch line is beyond me.
It isnt funny applied to any prostitute, but it isn't misogynistic.
  #54  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
It isnt funny applied to any prostitute, but it isn't misogynistic.
Are you being purposely obtuse? Why would that be applied to a real prostitute?

The point of the joke is that itís being told about an ordinary woman. Not a prostitute. Just an ordinary woman. The man offers a fantastic amount of money to an average women for sex, so she agrees. Then he gets to call her a prostitute.

Itís not a joke if the woman were a prostitute in the first place. Itís a ďjokeĒ because a lot of men think women are sluts.

That joke has been around forever. Show me a similar joke told about men. There isnít.

Yes, itís misogynistic and if you donít see that, well you may want to think about yourself.

Again, I have absolutely no idea why someone thought it was so clever that they would through it into this thread or that people would defend it.

Thankfully, that joke thread which started off with a rape joke got shut down. Why the fuck would anyone think that was appropriate to share?

There is so much misogynism but thankfully people are being called on it.
  #55  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
There's no amount of money that would get me to have sex with a stranger - I'm not poor enough that I need to do it, and the stupidly large amounts of money that would be required to even start enticing me would in turn make me highly suspicious of the offer. I'm a cautious sort.

Not to mention, I have my pride. I don't want to have sex with a stranger, and I certainly don't want to prostitute myself for money. My ego would suffer no matter how well I was paid.

Heck, I wouldn't even have sex with somebody if I got to know them first and liked them. I wouldn't on the first date, or the second date, or the third - I'm a "get engaged first at the very least" sort of guy.
I find this difficult to believe.

If (insert a person you find incredibly attractive) showed up at your door with $1 trillion dollars, you'd say "Nah, I don't think so"?

  #56  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Are you being purposely obtuse? Why would that be applied to a real prostitute?

The point of the joke is that itís being told about an ordinary woman. Not a prostitute. Just an ordinary woman. The man offers a fantastic amount of money to an average women for sex, so she agrees. Then he gets to call her a prostitute.

Itís not a joke if the woman were a prostitute in the first place. Itís a ďjokeĒ because a lot of men think women are sluts.

That joke has been around forever. Show me a similar joke told about men. There isnít.

Yes, itís misogynistic and if you donít see that, well you may want to think about yourself.

Again, I have absolutely no idea why someone thought it was so clever that they would through it into this thread or that people would defend it.

Thankfully, that joke thread which started off with a rape joke got shut down. Why the fuck would anyone think that was appropriate to share?

There is so much misogynism but thankfully people are being called on it.
Thank you for taking up your torch and fighting the fight. We are all so much better for it.
  #57  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Thank you for taking up your torch and fighting the fight. We are all so much better for it.
Show how that joke has ever been with a man as a punchline.

And enjoy your taste in jokes. There are plenty of them out there.
  #58  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 PM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Show how that joke has ever been with a man as a punchline.

And enjoy your taste in jokes. There are plenty of them out there.
Enjoy being bitter and upset about most things. Try to enjoy life and not take everything personally.
  #59  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM
BrotherCadfael is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 10,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Because that joke has always been told about women.

Itís a gotcha joke. In the joke a guy asks a woman if sheíd have sex with him for $1 million. She says yes, then he offers $200.

Thatís when you get the line quoted.

That ďjokeĒ has been around forever and itís never said about men.
I have heard it applied to, for example, a corrupt politician, where they are negotiating a price downward. The joke is quoted, analogizing the politician to the subject of the joke.
  #60  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Enjoy being bitter and upset about most things. Try to enjoy life and not take everything personally.
Stop it. TokyoBayer is clearly right here, and you are just using an ad hominem attack to defend. . . whatever dog it is you have in this fight. The which frankly I can't see at all. Why ARE you getting so upset?
  #61  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I have heard it applied to, for example, a corrupt politician, where they are negotiating a price downward. The joke is quoted, analogizing the politician to the subject of the joke.
OK, so it is within the realm of possibility for that joke to be used against a man. But are you seriously arguing that it is not overwhelmingly used in a misogynistic fashion?
  #62  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Mundane Super Hero is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 97
One hundred Jerry Seinfelds.


(What do you mean there's only one? That's not my fault...)
  #63  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Stop it. TokyoBayer is clearly right here, and you are just using an ad hominem attack to defend. . . whatever dog it is you have in this fight. The which frankly I can't see at all. Why ARE you getting so upset?
Why are you rushing to defend her? It is a joke albeit a bad one. There are other joke threads that put things out against various nationalities and no one gets upset over them. Hearing misogynistic about anything she doesnt like gets old.
  #64  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
Interesting topic. Truth be told, an offer of money would disincline me to have sex with most women, whereas I would probably be all in if it was an offer of a roll in the hay for free. Don't ask me why; it just would.
Probably because the offer of money implies that there is something undesirable about the person offering it, such that she has to pay for sex in the first place.
  #65  
Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Probably because the offer of money implies that there is something undesirable about the person offering it, such that she has to pay for sex in the first place.
If I were a wealthy sociopath I would dangle this offer in front of people just to see if they could "be bought". The more smarmy and self righteous their public face, the more satisfying a victory would be.
  #66  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I find this difficult to believe.

If (insert a person you find incredibly attractive) showed up at your door with $1 trillion dollars, you'd say "Nah, I don't think so"?

Hell no. That just screams "scam". Just because I can't figure out what the scam is doesn't mean it's a legit offer.

If some stranger in NYC asks you to take that wallet full of cash they just found, do you take it? I didn't. (Yes, this actually happened to me.) I don't know what happens next, but I'm just as happy not finding out.

If I were starving, or my kid was dying, sure, I might sell sex for food. But I'm not. What would possibly prompt me to accept money for sex in my current life?
  #67  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Hell no. That just screams "scam". Just because I can't figure out what the scam is doesn't mean it's a legit offer
well, I thought we were discounting the "scam" scenario.

Quote:
If I were starving, or my kid was dying, sure, I might sell sex for food. But I'm not. What would possibly prompt me to accept money for sex in my current life?
Because if it was $10 billion, you could help a lot of other starving kids?
  #68  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,407
They aren't my kids, their mom can prostitute herself.

More seriously, I wouldn't even know what to do with that amount of money, and if it were real, the responsibility of dealing with that would completely destroy my life. Because then I WOULD feel responsible for a bunch of stuff I'm not currently responsible for.

Let someone better positioned to use the money get it.
  #69  
Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
They aren't my kids, their mom can prostitute herself.

More seriously, I wouldn't even know what to do with that amount of money, and if it were real, the responsibility of dealing with that would completely destroy my life. Because then I WOULD feel responsible for a bunch of stuff I'm not currently responsible for.

Let someone better positioned to use the money get it.
Well, on the off-chance that you ever get that amount of money, I'LL take it off your hands
  #70  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I find this difficult to believe.

If (insert a person you find incredibly attractive) showed up at your door with $1 trillion dollars, you'd say "Nah, I don't think so"?

My responses would probably be more along the lines of

"Wait, what? Can you say that again? I don't think I heard you right."
"Are you serious?"
"Are you insane? Like, literally insane?"
"Okay, so where's the camera?"
"This is a pretty sick joke, you know that?"

...okay, let's presume that they somehow convince me they're being serious - they have the trillion and would indeed pay it to me for having sex with them. Somehow they convince me of this.

"...Why? Why are you even asking me this?"
"What is wrong with you?"
"Seriously, what's your deal? What's your angle? I know it's not because you think I'm that good!"
"Did you make some kind of bet? How big of a bet could be worth spending a trillion dollars??"
"Are you diseased somehow? Is this some sort of plot to infect me with something?"
"Get away from me!"

...okay, let's presume that they somehow convince me that they're both serious and have absolutely no negative intentions whatsoever. Somehow.

"Okay, well, sorry, no. Putting aside the fact that I don't do the casual sex thing, I've heard that it's a bad idea to stick your dick in crazy. And you're clearly crazy. So 'bye."



On a separate note, you may be surprised to hear that I don't think that there's anything I could be convinced to with an offer of money out of the blue. When people offer to pay you to do something it means that they don't think you'd do it for free - and the more they're offering, the less they must think you'll like doing it. I'm not short of cash, and I already have a paying job I've agreed to do, so why would I want to waste my limited free time doing stuff I don't want to do? No thanks. If I want to help you, I'd do it for you for free.

(And no, that wouldn't include free sex. Not even if you're a beautiful woman; I'm not interested in flings.)
  #71  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:59 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Again, I thought we were discounting the "scam" scenario.

But that's cool, thanks for your opinion. It seems to me that you'd rather continue working for a long time instead of doing one thing one time in order to never have to work again. And that one thing is have sex. Seems strange to me, but alright.
  #72  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Again, I thought we were discounting the "scam" scenario.

But that's cool, thanks for your opinion. It seems to me that you'd rather continue working for a long time instead of doing one thing one time in order to never have to work again. And that one thing is have sex. Seems strange to me, but alright.
We haven't discounted the "they're a goddamn lunatic" scenario. Anybody who would drop big cash to have sex with me is clearly insane, and I can't rule out what they'd do after our tryst.

Plus, to be entirely serious here, I don't like doing things that I don't want to do. And I don't want to have casual sex with anybody. Which means if I acceded it wouldn't be me entering into a business agreement, it would be me having been bought. And I'm financially solvent enough that I don't have to sell myself, and won't sell myself.

You can't pay me enough to come help you move, you can't pay me enough to play with a dog, and you can't pay me to have casual sex. There's quite literally not enough money in the world - because when I really don't want to do something it stops being about money.
  #73  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Enjoy being bitter and upset about most things. Try to enjoy life and not take everything personally.
Enjoy your taste in jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I have heard it applied to, for example, a corrupt politician, where they are negotiating a price downward. The joke is quoted, analogizing the politician to the subject of the joke.
Exactly. They don't change the subject of the joke to being a politician, they still use a woman as the subject to say corrupt politicians are no different than average women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Why are you rushing to defend her? It is a joke albeit a bad one. There are other joke threads that put things out against various nationalities and no one gets upset over them. Hearing misogynistic about anything she doesnt like gets old.
It's "he" and enjoy your taste in jokes.
  #74  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:09 PM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Enjoy your taste in jokes.

Exactly. They don't change the subject of the joke to being a politician, they still use a woman as the subject to say corrupt politicians are no different than average women.
It's "he" and enjoy your taste in jokes.
My apologies to "him". I have already said that this is a poor joke.
  #75  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
We haven't discounted the "they're a goddamn lunatic" scenario. Anybody who would drop big cash to have sex with me is clearly insane, and I can't rule out what they'd do after our tryst.

Plus, to be entirely serious here, I don't like doing things that I don't want to do. And I don't want to have casual sex with anybody. Which means if I acceded it wouldn't be me entering into a business agreement, it would be me having been bought. And I'm financially solvent enough that I don't have to sell myself, and won't sell myself.

You can't pay me enough to come help you move, you can't pay me enough to play with a dog, and you can't pay me to have casual sex. There's quite literally not enough money in the world - because when I really don't want to do something it stops being about money.
I don't like doing things that I don't want to do either. I don't like waking up every day and going to work. I don't like cutting the grass every damn week. I don't like vacuuming my house. And I hate dogs. But if someone said to me "Hey, you'll never have to work again if you play with this dog for 1 hour", I'd jump all over that offer.

Besides, your employer pays you for your body every day
  #76  
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 PM
Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Because that joke has always been told about women.

It’s a gotcha joke. In the joke a guy asks a woman if she’d have sex with him for $1 million. She says yes, then he offers $200.

That’s when you get the line quoted.

That “joke” has been around forever and it’s never said about men.
And yet, as I take it, in the offensive example you refered to above, it was said about in men? In a price negotiation?


[if someone offered me a million for sex, I wouldn't believe it. It someone offered me $10 for sex, I still wouldn't believe it]

Last edited by Melbourne; 06-18-2019 at 08:00 PM.
  #77  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Why are you rushing to defend her? It is a joke albeit a bad one.
'it's only a joke' is not a defense. The problem is exactly that it's supposed to be a joke.
  #78  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 PM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
'it's only a joke' is not a defense. The problem is exactly that it's supposed to be a joke.
Hence why I said it is a bad one. Unfortunately there are too many people who get their panties all bunched up about every letter, syllable,word, thought, and breath that society makes and takes.
  #79  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 AM
drivekiller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Again, I thought we were discounting the "scam" scenario.

But that's cool, thanks for your opinion. It seems to me that you'd rather continue working for a long time instead of doing one thing one time in order to never have to work again. And that one thing is have sex. Seems strange to me, but alright.
If "manson1972" is offering, I think the user name alone is reason to refuse.
  #80  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 AM
mandala's Avatar
mandala is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Diamond City, Zeta Prime
Posts: 515
I am a relentless loser in the women department, so I'd pay my month's salary to any healthy, presentable woman to have sex with me. Just once. More money if she has blonde hair, white skin. Just my preferences. Unfortunately, no chick will agree, even with this much money (I do earn well). As I said, I am just a loser.
  #81  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Besides, your employer pays you for your body every day
I'm self employed. There's a masturbation joke in there somewhere.
  #82  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,821
"Paddlin' the kayak"
__________________
Y'all are just too damned serious. Lighten up.
  #83  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Oaring yourself out?
  #84  
Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
And yet, as I take it, in the offensive example you refered to above, it was said about in men? In a price negotiation?
No. It was about a woman. The teller was trying to demonstrate that anything is negotiable, but using this old joke which has a woman as the subject. The implicit meaning was “See, all women can be bought so we just need to get the right figure.”

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. There were so many racist and misogynistic jokes then.

It’s not a misogynistic joke because it’s a stupid joke, it’s misogynistic because there are so many men who believe that all women are sluts. But this isn’t the 60s or 70s any more and no one really needs that lecture.

I’m on my phone so I can’t link to it but there’s another active thread where that same joke is trotted out.

It’s been brought up time and time again that this place is losing female posters. Ever wonder why?
  #85  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't like doing things that I don't want to do either. I don't like waking up every day and going to work. I don't like cutting the grass every damn week. I don't like vacuuming my house. And I hate dogs. But if someone said to me "Hey, you'll never have to work again if you play with this dog for 1 hour", I'd jump all over that offer.
And I wouldn't. I dislike dogs a lot (I have a phobia; it's intolerable being even in the same room as one even if it's not moving), and I am not in a financial situation where I need to subject myself to that nightmare.

There are lots of things I wouldn't do for any amount of money. I wouldn't let anybody shoot me, or shoot at me, for example - there is no possible wage that would get me to be a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Besides, your employer pays you for your body every day
My employer has agreed to pay me to do something I don't dislike doing. It's true that I made a mutually beneficial agreement with them that leads me to choose to do things I wouldn't be doing if they weren't paying me, but I'm not doing anything I hate, and I have turned down other, higher-paying offers because I felt that I would end up unhappy if I took those offers, despite the higher pay.

And for the record my job has little or nothing to do with my body - and in a recent instance where they tried to get me to do something specific with my body I flatly refused! We have so-called "stand up" meetings every morning where we briefly discuss what we're working on. Somebody had the bright idea we should actually be standing up for the duration. Screw that - I made a stink, cited reasons, and now am the one person who doesn't have to stand up during the stand up. They've hired me to use my mind, not my knees.
  #86  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
They've hired me to use my mind, not my knees.
Your brain isn't part of your body?

  #87  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
There are lots of things I wouldn't do for any amount of money. I wouldn't let anybody shoot me, or shoot at me, for example - there is no possible wage that would get me to be a cop.
Really? In a controlled setting (medical team standing by) I'd take a bullet to the left shoulder or hip in exchange for a decent sum (say 2 million, after taxes). It would hurt, maybe even threaten use of a limb, but I'd just center my thoughts on that pile of cash.
  #88  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Really? In a controlled setting (medical team standing by) I'd take a bullet to the left shoulder or hip in exchange for a decent sum (say 2 million, after taxes). It would hurt, maybe even threaten use of a limb, but I'd just center my thoughts on that pile of cash.
Come on, he said he wouldn't play with a dog for 5 minutes for $1 billion, you think he's going to get shot at for a mere $2 million?
  #89  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Your brain isn't part of your body?

You're a funny man, but I'm also a part of the american workforce in its entirety, and yet my employer hasn't hired the american workforce in its entirety. So similarly my employer hasn't hired the use of my body just because they've hired me to use my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Really? In a controlled setting (medical team standing by) I'd take a bullet to the left shoulder or hip in exchange for a decent sum (say 2 million, after taxes). It would hurt, maybe even threaten use of a limb, but I'd just center my thoughts on that pile of cash.
Good for you. Everybody's different.
  #90  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
You're a funny man, but I'm also a part of the american workforce in its entirety, and yet my employer hasn't hired the american workforce in its entirety. So similarly my employer hasn't hired the use of my body just because they've hired me to use my brain.
Great, so a person who hires someone for the use of their genitals isn't hiring them to use their body. I get it.
  #91  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Great, so a person who hires someone for the use of their genitals isn't hiring them to use their body. I get it.
This is getting less funny. In any case I assume you do get it and are just tweaking me.
  #92  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
This is getting less funny. In any case I assume you do get it and are just tweaking me.
Not really. Just wanted to understand that "Paying you to use one part of your body is not paying you to use your body"
  #93  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:33 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
No. It was about a woman. The teller was trying to demonstrate that anything is negotiable, but using this old joke which has a woman as the subject. The implicit meaning was “See, all women can be bought so we just need to get the right figure.”
Wrong on all counts. It isn't that "anything" is negotiable, or that "all" women can be bought. It's that someone who says that she (or HE) would have sex for a million dollars has indicated that she or he can be bought. That particular individual. Not all women, or all people, that one person. And since that particular person can be bought at some price, everything else is negotiating that person's minimum bribe level.

You've misunderstood the entire point of the story, as well as my reason for quoting it. You're getting worked up over nothing.

If it helps, you could tell the same story about a man who says he would give away someone else's confidential information for a million dollars. Maybe his company's trade secrets.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 06-19-2019 at 01:37 PM.
  #94  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
"We've established what you are. Now we're just negotiating the price."
Is it just me? I have never seen this presented as anything other than a quotation attributed to Winston Churchill. Like here.

That would explain why the "joke" (no, I've never heard it done as a joke; though I don't know if the attribution is accurate) is traditionally about a response to a woman - because that's what the quote is.

Not expressing an opinion - just can't understand why this didn't come up in the debate.



j
  #95  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM
RTFirefly is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
A more interesting thought experiment for this highly unlikely scenario is "how much would the offer have to be for my wife to be okay with it," and "how much more before she'd insist on it?"
Yeah, the answers to the analogous thought experiment involving my own wife and me would determine my answer to the OP's question.
  #96  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Is it just me? I have never seen this presented as anything other than a quotation attributed to Winston Churchill. Like here.
Attributed to many different people. First time I heard it, it was attributed to George Bernard Shaw.

Some information here.
  #97  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Attributed to many different people. First time I heard it, it was attributed to George Bernard Shaw.

Some information here.
Aha. Thank you for that brilliant link. I fear I have been the victim of British parochialism.

j
  #98  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,821
I only ever heard the joke's cousin:
Quote:
Captain Jack Sparrow:"You have my payment. One soul to serve on your ship. He's already over there."
Davy Jones:"One soul is not equal to another!"
Captain Jack Sparrow:"Ah ha! So we've established my proposal is sound in principle, now we're just haggling over price."
Seems like the sort of punchline that is always looking for a new joke, sometimes it's to do with women, sometimes with Ö whatever the hell we call someone like Davy Jones.
  #99  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,611
Not to make this thread specifically about that one joke, but.......what is technically wrong with it? And what is its point? It seems more confusing than offensive.

It's like asking someone if they're willing to sell their house for $5 million (most likely yes) and then saying, "what about $5,000?" (no.) And then saying, Aha, gotcha!!!

Almost everyone has a price threshold for something. One offer meets it, one doesn't. For the same reason that LeBron James will play for a basketball team for $100 million a year, but not for $100 a year.

If a woman will have sex for a million dollars but not for ten dollars, then in a certain sense, yes, she is willing to be a prostitute, just at a certain price. Okay...? It seems like an extraordinarily weak punchline.

Last edited by Velocity; 06-19-2019 at 02:42 PM.
  #100  
Old 06-19-2019, 03:33 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
If a woman will have sex for a million dollars but not for ten dollars, then in a certain sense, yes, she is willing to be a prostitute, just at a certain price. Okay...? It seems like an extraordinarily weak punchline.
It's because the woman was tricked into admitting she's a prostitute. That's the punchline. I'm not sure how that denigrates ALL women though.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017