Old 09-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Unfortunately for Pence, he has the charisma of a banana slug.
As others have pointed out, banana slugs are cute and cheerful. Pence is more like slime mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
It occurs to me that the intended audience might be thump himself. There's nothing in there that the rest of us didn't already know.

Maybe the intent is to play into thump's paranoid thinking that he is surrounded by enemies and traitors while sending a dog whistle to Pubs that their policies are being protected by like-minded people in the castle keep.

If these keepers of the flame can drive the mad king over the edge, the Pubs can have President Pence without getting blood on their hands.

Otherwise, why publish it at all?
I have 2 theories. One is that someone wanted to drive the president into even more erratic displays before the midterms, and the other is that someone is laying the groundwork for a 25th amendment removal.

I wonder if any of this will impact fears of the so-called Deep State?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think I'm willing to give the anonymous op-ed writer a bit more slack than most here. Consider the following analogous thought-experiment -- not a perfect analogy, but bear with me:

You're the mayor of a small town in Nazi-occupied France, 1941.

Do you:

(a) Stay in your job. Keep the garbage picked up. But work with the Resistance (the OG Resistance) in getting Jews out of town.
(b) Escape to England and join the British Army.

And consider that your replacement would be guaranteed to be a Nazi collaborator.

I don't think there's a wrong choice.

But what sense does it make to announce you’re doing (a)? Now, you’ve alerted Hitler to the subterfuge and have given his supporters extra reason to believe that a disloyal Deep State is the only enemy worth worrying about.

Last edited by you with the face; 09-06-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What about my other question: who is the intended audience for this op-ed? Any ideas?
The intended audience? Democrats. Frankly, this editorial reads to me like a calculated response from Republicans to reassure Democrats that, hey, there really are grown-ups running things! Don't worry, we're keeping his ugliest impulses in check! It'll all be fine! No reason to vote us all out in November, we're on your side! Secretly, so you can't see it, but trust us, it's true!

I think it's a move to sandbag against the blue wave coming on Election Day, to keep it from being as ugly as they fear it'll be, by reassuring Democrats that there's already a check against Trump in place. I'm not buying it.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I think I'm willing to give the anonymous op-ed writer a bit more slack than most here. Consider the following analogous thought-experiment -- not a perfect analogy, but bear with me:

Do you:

(a) Stay in your job. Keep the garbage picked up. But work with the Resistance (the OG Resistance) in getting Jews out of town.

And consider that your replacement would be guaranteed to be a Nazi collaborator.

Only works if the mayor was one of the Nazi invaders.

-God
Old 09-06-2018, 01:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Do you:

I kind of agree with this? If we make "don't be part of the Trump administration" a condition of being a good person, then we won't even get the "maybe not quite as awful" people in the administration, we'll just get the worst of the worst because everyone else wouldn't bother. Imagine Bolton in Mattis's position and you may see the logic there.

That said, when you're in that position, an anonymous op-ed like this is fucking stupid. You don't pen an anonymous op-ed. You either shut up and keep doing what you can to wait it out without a major catastrophe, or you aim for a 25th amendment solution (or 2nd amendment, if things get really bad; this would be the "Stauffenberg" approach). Going to the press doesn't further the latter goal, and it actively undermines the former. At that point, you actually are considerably better off speaking up, stepping out, and naming yourself - at least then, nobody's going to argue about a "deep state".

ETA: @Typo Negative: the analogy still works just fine in that case. Sure, the person is a nazi, and this is partially their fault, but better them than fucking Mengele, right?

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 09-06-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:11 PM

I think the intended audience is old school, non-Trumpist Republicans who are having a crisis of faith as they watch the party devolve before their eyes. The author believes if he can convince these people there are “adults in the room”, then they will see all is not lost and that they shouldn’t yet abandon the GOP.

The author has misjudged this audience, I suspect. Old school conservatives aren’t rebels or conscientious objectors; if they didn’t put a premium on duty and loyalty, then they probably would’ve jumped ship a long time ago. I mean, as liberal as my ass is, I too am bothered that the author flaunts their insubordination; those who much more classically authoritarian than me will really be bothered.

Last edited by you with the face; 09-06-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It occurs to me that the intended audience might be thump himself. There's nothing in there that the rest of us didn't already know.

Maybe the intent is to play into thump's paranoid thinking that he is surrounded by enemies and traitors while sending a dog whistle to Pubs that their policies are being protected by like-minded people in the castle keep.

If these keepers of the flame can drive the mad king over the edge, the Pubs can have President Pence without getting blood on their hands.

Otherwise, why publish it at all?
That's my thinking: They're essentially poking the insane rabid monkey with a sharp stick, with the hope he'll lash out and need to be put down. But they can't put him down until he does something so heinous and insane (or at least threatens to) that the fools still wearing their "We ❤️ the Insane Rabid Money" t-shirts will be largely neutralized.

If they can make him feel weak, he'll do something to make himself feel strong again, and it'll likely be something insane, and it'll likely be announced on Twitter where no one can steal his hopes and dreams.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:40 PM

Cory Booker has released publicly a batch of Kavanaugh documents labeled "Committee Confidential".
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/cor...ocuments-read/
Old 09-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Benjamin Wittes said it best on Twitter:

"I have no respect for someone who would say these things—of whose truth I have no doubt—in an anonymous oped, rather than in a public resignation letter copied to the House Judiciary Committee."
Right, especially since they still protect and enable him, and use the positions to do their own dirty shit.

This isn't "the adults handling things" the way they are trying to sell it, at all. It's the snakes trying to not be eaten by a bigger snake. While they eat everyone else.

Last edited by SteveG1; 09-06-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Cory Booker has released publicly a batch of Kavanaugh documents labeled "Committee Confidential".
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/cor...ocuments-read/
Good for Booker. He knows he may get tossed for "confidentiality" or something, but he did it anyway. GOOD.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
But what sense does it make to announce you’re doing (a)? Now, you’ve alerted Hitler to the subterfuge and have given his supporters extra reason to believe that a disloyal Deep State is the only enemy worth worrying about.
Hitler already knows there's a Resistance, because he's not stupid (let's assume the mayor didn't give his name or title or location); and the letter gives encouragement to the Allies, to let them know they have friends on the inside.

The analogy breaks down, though, because Trump *is* stupid and probably had no idea there was disloyalty in the White House.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:35 PM

So getting away from the OP-ed for a moment and back to Woodward's book, much has been made of two (of many?) cases in which Trump was prevented from doing something bone headed by having the piece of paper removed from his desk.

This bring up 2 questions for me.

1) How could this work? If I was president and I was all keen on assassinating Bashar al-Assad, and waiting for the orders to sign. If they didn't appear on my desk, or if they were on my desk and then disappeared when I went off to the can. I would ask for another copy to sign. The only way this would work is if the POTUS has the attention span of a goldfish and forgets about what he wanted to do as soon as it isn't right in front of him, which probably answers my own question but bring up question 2.

2) Now the the president knows that he has been foiled in this way, what are the chances that he will know put every effort to make sure that the al-Assad assassination and pulling out of the Korean trade deal is a top priority just to prove that his staff can't get away from it.

Now that he knows that his staff is working to undermine his base impulses I think it is going to be harder for them to do so.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
2) Now the the president knows that he has been foiled in this way, what are the chances that he will know put every effort to make sure that the al-Assad assassination and pulling out of the Korean trade deal is a top priority just to prove that his staff can't get away from it.
None, since he has the attention span of a goldfish.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM

see. . .after reading the editorial several times, I'm convinced he's not talking about insubordination. He (and it may be a she) states clearly and more than once that he supports the Trump agenda. He stated the he and others are doing what they can to keep him focused on that agenda and not let his emotions rule.

Take for instance; the whole flag at half staff kerfuffle. The flag gets lowered for a day and then Trump (no doubt angry over loser McCain getting so much attention) raises it back up only to then relower it the next day. Prob because some adult made him see the error of his ways.

Then there is the "new NAFTA" deal. This is something the Republicans, in general, and the WH in particular want to happen. And the admin has worked long and hard to achieve. But then the Pres goes and insults Canada via twitter, or threatens to withdraw from the WTO, and the negotiators have to go around and assure all of the parties that contrary to the social media bluster this is something that the admin is committed to.

So. . .I don't believe this some sort of shadowy cabal who has hijacked the democratic system and is trying to implement an agenda of their own. They're just trying to keep the place on track while a petulant leader pitches his daily fit.

And I think the intended audience is the rest of the world as well as the American people. Saying, in effect, that even tho the President seems to change his mind on a daily basis, and has a penchant for insulting friend and foe alike, the administration is running smoothly. . .there are adults in the room.

mc
Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
That's my thinking: They're essentially poking the insane rabid monkey with a sharp stick, with the hope he'll lash out and need to be put down. But they can't put him down until he does something so heinous and insane (or at least threatens to) that the fools still wearing their "We ❤️ the Insane Rabid Money" t-shirts will be largely neutralized.

If they can make him feel weak, he'll do something to make himself feel strong again, and it'll likely be something insane, and it'll likely be announced on Twitter where no one can steal his hopes and dreams.
YES! This is the only thing that makes sense. The Pubbies need thump to implode so they can have Pence with no blood on their hands. Nothing else makes sense, as everything in the op-ed was old news, been there read about that, already known.

Quote:
So getting away from the OP-ed for a moment and back to Woodward's book, much has been made of two (of many?) cases in which Trump was prevented from doing something bone headed by having the piece of paper removed from his desk.

This bring up 2 questions for me.

1) How could this work? If I was president and I was all keen on assassinating Bashar al-Assad, and waiting for the orders to sign. If they didn't appear on my desk, or if they were on my desk and then disappeared when I went off to the can. I would ask for another copy to sign. The only way this would work is if the POTUS has the attention span of a goldfish and forgets about what he wanted to do as soon as it isn't right in front of him, which probably answers my own question but bring up question 2.
You've hit the nail on the head. (My emphasis.) (Apologies to goldfish.)

Quote:
2) Now the the president knows that he has been foiled in this way, what are the chances that he will know [sic] put every effort to make sure that the al-Assad assassination and pulling out of the Korean trade deal is a top priority just to prove that his staff can't get away from it.

Now that he knows that his staff is working to undermine his base impulses I think it is going to be harder for them to do so.
Nope. This requires thought and the ability to hold more than one idea in your head at the same time, plus think ahead. All are beyond our donald's capabilities.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-06-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM

My first reaction was ha ha, Trump sucks, neener neener! But on reflection, yeah, nobody voted for these guys to impose their own agenda. I think staffers should work for the POTUS in good faith or else invoke the 25th, or resign.

Our government system really Should be able to withstand a Trump administration without crumbling to bits. The idea that the executive branch is the pure expression of one person's will is overplayed, but this kind of mutiny is destabilizing. I disagree with the sentiment that this is not insubordination, but I agree that there is a tough moral calculus here. But I don't like it- absent any order we get anarchy and there aren't any pieces left to pick up when this is all over.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Dundas View Post
Here is the root of this op ed problem. The President seems to ask a lot of questions on policy because he is new to it as a non politician and outsider. While the establishment goes crazy over his questions and says they are unhinghed, I believe they are healthy to have these discussions to educate him and to make people think outside the box.

But this is the high school douchebaggery down in DC that people hate. The career folks are the worst. They are know it alls.
Wow! It's said that Trump supporters won't turn against him unless they find Trump in bed with a live boy or a dead girl. What would it take for you? A dead pre-teen boy?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Hi, I say, hi, I say hi, I'm Yosemite Sam. I have been working with Elmer, Sylvester, Marvin and Wile E. to further the cartoon villain agenda. We strongly believe that cartoon villainy is beneficial to the country (or, at least, to us) and really should become the law and policy of the land. Our noble leader Taz has been a bright figurehead, but he does present us with some difficulties, as his brand of cartoon evil can sometimes get out of hand.

When he stops spinning and looks around confused, we do our best to wind him up toward the destruction of the various birds, pigs, sheepdogs and wabbits that are hampering our progress. Please be patient with us as we strive toward a country that will offer Evil Opportunity for All.

(or – not Taz?)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hitler already knows there's a Resistance, because he's not stupid (let's assume the mayor didn't give his name or title or location); and the letter gives encouragement to the Allies, to let them know they have friends on the inside.
But a true friend would be trying to get Hitler removed, not just inconveniently “frustrated”.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
The intended audience? Democrats. Frankly, this editorial reads to me like a calculated response from Republicans to reassure Democrats that, hey, there really are grown-ups running things! Don't worry, we're keeping his ugliest impulses in check! It'll all be fine! No reason to vote us all out in November, we're on your side! Secretly, so you can't see it, but trust us, it's true!

I think it's a move to sandbag against the blue wave coming on Election Day, to keep it from being as ugly as they fear it'll be, by reassuring Democrats that there's already a check against Trump in place. I'm not buying it.
I agree. I think this is a pre-election attempt by Republican insiders to reassure voters who are becoming concerned about the ongoing evidence of Trump's incompetence. It's gone past the point where they can convincingly claim the incompetence doesn't exist. So the new line is that people don't need to worry because the administration can work around it.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
It won't help them. There are too many derplorables who will, at a minimum, stop showing up at the polls if they lose their Insane Rabid Monkey. They've tasted too much red meat to be satisfied with the GOP Establishment's pink slime.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pretty nil, I gather. He strikes me as not the type to put in much effort regarding anything.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Dundas View Post
The President seems to ask a lot of questions on policy because he is new to it as a non politician and outsider.
By all indications, he's asked his caddie what club he should use more than he's asked his advisers about policy.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Nope. This requires thought and the ability to hold more than one idea in your head at the same time, plus think ahead. All are beyond our donald's capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Pretty nil, I gather. He strikes me as not the type to put in much effort regarding anything.
But he does seem to have the ability to hold grudges and act out of spite. So I thought that there was a chance of his saying "You think you can stop me, well let me show you!"
Old 09-06-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
By all indications, he's asked his caddie what club he should use more than he's asked his advisers about policy.
Lies. He takes the clubs out of his bag himself. Anybody who has to ask his cabbie is a loser.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But he does seem to have the ability to hold grudges and act out of spite. So I thought that there was a chance of his saying "You think you can stop me, well let me show you!"
Easily blunted if you hide his phone, it seems.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
They did.

It was included in the article, as you'd know if you read it.
Yes, I would have if I had but I hadn't and haven't. So I asked.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
The one thing that kind of surprises me is the coming out and saying it but not quite out loud, but then, that's exactly the kind of behavior we see from the Trump administration (a lot of the time they opt for its sister, "loud and blatant but unclear to anybody who's been living on the moon"). Speaking on the record and clearly seems something they all have problems doing.
Yes, no-one is surprised that this president is being handled - every president no doubt to some degree handled by his staff, do doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
This presumes that Mike Dense could win an election for president on his own. And while the nation proved in 2016 that it would indeed elect an idiot, the Veep isn't really the type of idiot who motivates the idiots who vote for idiots.
The GOP leaders might believe a calm stable person (who calls his wife mother and can't be trusted alone with women) will get a lot of support.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
That only helps if you listen to them. It also helps if you understand what they say.
It also helps if you don't hire advisors solely on the basis of their being friends or relatives so you and they can make big bucks.

And why is anyone paying attention to Chip Dundas, an obvious troll?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I wonder if any of this will impact fears of the so-called Deep State?
Looks like Trump has created an actual, for real, deep state.

Suggestion from another board for the OpEd writer's codename: Derpthroat.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
Looks like Trump has created an actual, for real, deep state.

Yeah, I thought the whole “deep state” thing involved minor but important career bureaucrats, not highly placed, very sensitively positioned people that the PRESIDENT HIMSELF appointed.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
But the Times didn't say Lodestar could or could not be fired, only that said official could lose their job. If the editorial were definitively linked to Pence, he could very well be impeached and lose his job. It's a thin layer of plausibility, but just enough to make the statement true, if a bit misleading (a feature, not a bug, in this case).
They didn't specifically say Lodestar would lose their job - only that their job would be "jeopardized". Loser Donald can't fire Pence, but he could effectively shut him completely out of government since the VP has no Constitutional duties or powers other than casting a tiebreaking vote in the Senate.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 PM

ThelmLou is convinced the author is VeepThroat.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:00 PM

The next anonymous NYT editorial is going to consist entirely of sentence fragments, misspellings, random capitalizations and even randomer punctuation. It will be a marvelous account of bigly things and praise for Trump and a promise to have Mexico fund a border wall.
And a reminder that the NYT is failing.

Last edited by bobot; 09-06-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The next anonymous NYT editorial is going to consist entirely of sentence fragments, misspellings, random capitalizations and even randomer punctuation. It will be a marvelous account of bigly things and praise for Trump and a promise to have Mexico fund a border wall.
And a reminder that the NYT is failing.
Anonymous? No, it'll be written by John Miller.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Wow! It's said that Trump supporters won't turn against him unless they find Trump in bed with a live boy or a dead girl. What would it take for you? A dead pre-teen boy?
That quote is (more or less) from Edwin Edwards, governor of Louisiana at the time.
He did get convicted of extortion in 2001. So there is hope.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't think it can count as Deep State when it's people you're responsible for hiring.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
... Now the the president knows that he has been foiled in this way, what are the chances that he will know put every effort to make sure that the al-Assad assassination and pulling out of the Korean trade deal is a top priority just to prove that his staff can't get away from it. ...
Quote:
I agree--Trump can hold on to grudges for years, which requires being able to retain the information that someone has wronged him. A goldfish wouldn't be able to do that.

So, yeah: he'll prioritize sticking it to the Korean trade deal and... well, al-Assad had better find himself a deep, deep bunker.

Quote:
Easily blunted if you hide his phone, it seems.
I love the image of Trump being unable to find a phone. (They'd have to hide their own phones, too, and the phones of everyone on the White House premises, to make this work. They'd have to stop any visitors and hide their phones, stop all deliveries, and even stop US mail from entering the White House.)

He'd be reduced to getting into a limo and ordering the driver to take him to Walmart so he could buy a phone.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Clever, but if you're going to misquote me, at least spell my name right.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
It won't help them. There are too many derplorables who will, at a minimum, stop showing up at the polls if they lose their Insane Rabid Monkey. They've tasted too much red meat to be satisfied with the GOP Establishment's pink slime.
And this is why they don't quit and go public, and why I don't think it's Pence. Without the IRM, they'll lose interest, and the worst of the GOP will lose voters.

Assuming Lodestar & Co were part of the campaign, they're the ones who drove* the real "fake news" machine to victory.

*Working, of course, with Putin. Which is another reason for anonymity: staying out of Mueller's crosshairs.

[Emphasis added. Without spellcheck, I never would have noticed this wordplay. Well done.]
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
... I suspect a lot of these people know that when history is written Trump is going to go down as the worst president ever, and they don't want to be remembered like John Mitchell and the other Watergate filth - so they are spinning things that they are protecting the country from Trump....
I agree with this theory on why the op-ed was written. Someone is trying to massage their image (the image of everyone who works in the Trump Administration) and spin it as 'we are the noble protectors of the nation.'

As for doing it anonymously instead of putting their name on it: someone today mentioned that Cyrus Vance quit in protest (instead of writing an anonymous letter, perhaps) when he disagreed with Carter:

Quote:
Cyrus Roberts Vance was appointed Secretary of State by President Jimmy Carter on January 21, 1977. He entered his position on January 23 and resigned on April 28, 1980 in protest over President Carter’s decision to attempt a military rescue of American hostages in Iran.
https://history.state.gov/department...-cyrus-roberts

Vance quit and was replaced and the hostages weren't released until after Carter's successor Reagan was being inaugurated. But the point the speaker was making was that this quitting-in-protest made barely a ripple in the public consciousness, back then.

Whereas everyone is talking about this anonymous op-ed. So the theory here is that by doing the arguably less-honorable thing (by being anonymous), the writer is accomplishing more. Whether the writer's goal is to make himself look good, or is actually to inspire some action that could get the mentally-ill incumbent out of the Oval Office (via 25th Amendment or impeachment or a committee of Republicans convincing him to resign)--either way, going the 'anonymous' route has made the revelations more powerful than they would otherwise have been.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
I heard DeepThwart.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Her and Chuck Tingle.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Her and Chuck Tingle.
I don't think it's Pence. I think it's a group.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 PM

It was Melania and Ivanka.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Her and Chuck Tingle.
I'm sure he's already writing "Domald Tromp Gets Pounded in the Butt By An Anonymous New York Times Op-Ed".
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 PM

Omarosa thinks it's a Pence aide, https://www.wsbradio.com/news/nation...OSnJIvsxyOOLN/
Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post

Vance quit and was replaced and the hostages weren't released until after Carter's successor Reagan was being inaugurated. But the point the speaker was making was that this quitting-in-protest made barely a ripple in the public consciousness, back then.

Whereas everyone is talking about this anonymous op-ed. So the theory here is that by doing the arguably less-honorable thing (by being anonymous), the writer is accomplishing more. Whether the writer's goal is to make himself look good, or is actually to inspire some action that could get the mentally-ill incumbent out of the Oval Office (via 25th Amendment or impeachment or a committee of Republicans convincing him to resign)--either way, going the 'anonymous' route has made the revelations more powerful than they would otherwise have been.
I agree. Given the massive turnover, both from firing and quitting, one more rat leaving the ship wouldn't make much of an impact.
Now we have Dial T for Trump - The phone call is coming from inside the White House!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
What's this response based on? You have no idea who it is. The Times presumably does, and thought it was newsworthy. Why should we worry about this? It's not like anything they're saying is out of line with the rest of what we know from this administration.
That's the entire point: you have no idea who it is.

We're left to trust the editorial judgment of a handful of people to make the determination for us. We're not talking about anonymous insiders debating whether tax cuts for the top 1% are actually helping working class Americans; the op-ed purports to impugn the fitness of the president to carry out the will of half of American voters. This is pretty effing big stuff, so there is no margin for error, misjudgment, or miscalculation. If this "senior adviser" is someone who turns out to be an underwhelming source, it lends credence to the theory that the free press isn't capable of living up to the responsibility of serving its mission.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
An aide: wow, this is going to have an impact.