Old 04-30-2019, 02:32 AM

Oh my eyes! Over the past few days of watching Eurovision videos, I have seen some both amazing and disturbing things. I think that I am ready for this year's competition.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Gainsbourg was a disgusting little turd who exploited women for his own perverted pleasure. He wallowed in how he could manipulate young girls through their innocence and naivety including his own 13 year-old daughter with the song "Lemon Incest". Warning the video is creepy and pervy.

He groomed France Gall from when she was 15-16 years old so she trusted him and his songs.
He didn't "groom" France Gall. This word would be understood by the reader has meaning something entirely different from what happened.

He wrote for her a song that had a double meaning that was obvious for most of the public, but that she was too naive to understand. The song was a massive success, and she sang it everywhere, only realizing what it meant long after, and she was outraged and felt betrayed.

Note also that nobody else explained it to her. In particular not her parents who were in charge of her career.

Gainsbourg enjoyed greatly provocation, but although I could be mistaken, despite the large number of lovers he had, I don't think, although I could be mistaken, that he has ever been accused, or even suspected, of being involved with underage girls.

ETA : after checking, this didn't happen when Gall was 15-16, either, but when she was 19.

Last edited by clairobscur; 04-30-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
He didn't "groom" France Gall. This word would be understood by the reader has meaning something entirely different from what happened.

He wrote for her a song that had a double meaning that was obvious for most of the public, but that she was too naive to understand. The song was a massive success, and she sang it everywhere, only realizing what it meant long after, and she was outraged and felt betrayed.

Note also that nobody else explained it to her. In particular not her parents who were in charge of her career.

Gainsbourg enjoyed greatly provocation, but although I could be mistaken, despite the large number of lovers he had, I don't think, although I could be mistaken, that he has ever been accused, or even suspected, of being involved with underage girls.

ETA : after checking, this didn't happen when Gall was 15-16, either, but when she was 19.
I mostly agree with you here, but it's undeniable that Lemon Incest, sung with his own daughter, is at best in very poor taste and at worst frankly disturbing - cheap pun in French notwithstanding.

Plus, he lifted the melody from one Chopin's Études .
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 05-09-2019, 02:17 AM

Eurovision now has a rather more old-school singing competition:

Eurovision Choir

Video clips
Old 05-09-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
So far as I am aware, he did not "groom" Gall in (what we could call these days) the normal sense/use of the word. He certainly exploited her naiveté and innocence in the cause of his own "art". He may have made her a laughing stock and probably did her harm, career-wise, but that's a different matter. As I noted above, Serge was a genius but a bit of a bastard.

j
according to wikipedia he was only one of 2 people shed work with ..........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Gall
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Time again to bring out one of my favorite comic novels, Clovenhoof and the Trump of Doom.
You might also like Catherynne M. Valente's 2019 novel Space Opera. World-ending stakes here as well, but the song competition is galaxy-wide.