Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm from southern Ohio and I have never seen green peppers as a default topping. However, bell peppers are often called "mangoes" or "mango peppers" in the local dialect, so you might see that on a pizza menu in southern Ohio and get confused.

What part of Ohio was this default green pepper pizza?
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 05-04-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
The only one of those is be willing to eat is the plain.
Additional data point: I was at a bar for a party last night and the owner ordered three pizzas.

Pepperoni;
Pepperoni & sausage;
Green pepper, onion & mushroom.

They were correctly square cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I remember one place in Flint, Michigan that used green olive slices if you asked for olives. No warning.
To me, the term 'olives' defaults to green and not just in the pizza context.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM

All good pizzas start with a good sauce on a good crust. Everything after that is function of flavor parings.

I'm up for most anything but I want good ingredients. I want good pepperoni and not industrial road-kill pepperoni. And the sausage should be good sweet sausage. there seems to be 2 types of sausage available for restaurants in my area. The rabbit pellet version and the finely crumbled version. I like the finely crumbled version. I live in mid-western ohio and all the best pizzas in town use that version.

Has anyone had a BLT pizza? Basically just a BLT sandwich in pizza form. mmmmm. nice change of pace.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Good sausage is my big #1, along with extra cheese. I used to liekperroni, and will still eat it, but it's getting a bit too greasy for me now. Any other meat is Ok.

Mushrooms? Ok, but why?

Pineapple is yech city. Altho I do like anchovies in a ceasar salad, not so much on pizza.

Black olives are Ok, but they often put too many on.

I have had a great veggie pizza where they put Artichoke hearts , and yeah, if it's gonna be veggie, go ahead with olives, red onions, etc. I guess it's healthier.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
All good pizzas start with a good sauce on a good crust. Everything after that is function of flavor parings.
That's just cooking, though. You try to make something greater than the sum of the ingredients. That 'good crust' you refer to is simply refined wheat flour, salt, yeast & water, maybe a little sugar and oil*. Easy, right? Just scoop into a bowl and bake? Naw, there's an art to pizza and selecting the type and amount and distribution of pizza toppings is part of it.

* and a scant handful of cornmeal for under.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
That's just cooking, though. You try to make something greater than the sum of the ingredients. That 'good crust' you refer to is simply refined wheat flour, salt, yeast & water, maybe a little sugar and oil*. Easy, right? Just scoop into a bowl and bake? Naw, there's an art to pizza and selecting the type and amount and distribution of pizza toppings is part of it.

* and a scant handful of cornmeal for under.
Yeah, and I would even go farther to say that "good sauce" is just good tomatoes. Really, if you have the crust down, you could do whatever you want. You certainly don't even need sauce. But, still, my favorite pizza "sauce" is just 6-in-11 or 7-11/Tomato Magic ground tomatoes with not much else. Maybe a little garlic, olice oil, salt, and/or oregano, but I'm just fine with it plain--and typically, that's all I do.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Okay! More silliness:

I've heard of that. My understanding is they come from the farm as black olives but are then canned using Flint municipal water.
Topical. Cool. (I was in Flint in the late seventies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I've spent most of my life in Ohio (specifically the Cleveland area, if that matters), and I've never once encountered peppers as a default topping. Every place will have them and will put them on if you ask, just like any other topping, but (again, just like every other topping other than tomato sauce and cheese), if you don't mention it, you won't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm from southern Ohio and I have never seen green peppers as a default topping. . . .

What part of Ohio was this default green pepper pizza?
It was around Warren, Ohio. I can't remember if it happened in Youngstown, too, but definitely Warren.

There was one small delivery service that advertised that they'd add caviar as a topping for something like $150.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Has anyone had a BLT pizza? Basically just a BLT sandwich in pizza form. mmmmm. nice change of pace.
For sure! There's nothing quite like lettuce as a pizza topping.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
I can't let this go. There is no such thing as "cheese pizza". That's like giving someone an empty pie shell and calling it a "crust pie". Cheese is not a topping, it's part of the base. It doesn't become a pizza until there's at least one topping.
Do you consider extra cheese a topping?