Old 05-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Insane but convincing Film theory- Home Alone

I was blown away by this insane (her own words) but convincing alternate Film Theory on Home Alone.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/home-a...lister-is-dead
Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 AM

I love it! Someone should make a "Sixth Sense"-style "the clues were there all along" ending/reveal segment for the movie.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I was blown away by this insane (her own words) but convincing alternate Film Theory on Home Alone.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/home-a...lister-is-dead
I agree it is insane, but... convincing?

This is up there with Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord, in fact I think that's more convincing.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM

I'm pretty sure Kevin goes to an actual grocery store and buys stuff during the movie.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM

Not bad, but a better theory is that Kevin gows up to be Jigsaw.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM

I hate to be a kill-joy, but I like it just the way it is, a silly but very warm comedy that teaches a young boy as well as the rest of his family the true value of family.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Not mentioned in that list of unbelievables is a big one:

Why doesn't Kevin's mom call the police or other town officials to let them know her little boy is home alone and to go get him? Unless some reason is mentioned in the movie and I'm missing something. I think I remember that the phones were out in Kevin's block.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
Not mentioned in that list of unbelievables is a big one:

Why doesn't Kevin's mom call the police or other town officials to let them know her little boy is home alone and to go get him? Unless some reason is mentioned in the movie and I'm missing something. I think I remember that the phones were out in Kevin's block.
IIRC she does, a cop shows up to the house, knocks on the door, checks all the windows, and says it looks like nobody has been living in there.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 PM

I also went looking for that article after reading xkcd, and I think it's fun and cute, but extremely silly and not remotely convincing.

Harry and Marv making it through a barrage of booby traps without incurring any real bodily harm means that they're part of the comedy relief of a kids movie that's never going to show people seriously injured, not demons.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
IIRC she does, a cop shows up to the house, knocks on the door, checks all the windows, and says it looks like nobody has been living in there.
Plus, Kevin knows the burglars masquerade as cops, so there's no way in Hell he'd trust the police. He's afraid of them, which is also why he never calls for their help.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I hate to be a kill-joy, but I like it just the way it is, a silly but very warm comedy that teaches a young boy as well as the rest of his family the true value of family.
I agree, but that theory was fun, IMHO.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Hmmm...maybe the entire family is dead! wooooooo!

Maybe Kevin is dead but the burglars are real.

(I've never seen the film.)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM

There's two explanations for the very poorly thought out article linked in the OP:

1. The writer has not seen HA at all or at least not in quite some time. Certainly did not watch it after coming up with this "theory". As noted, Keven goes shopping and talks to clerks, including harding one a coupon.

There'd have to too many folk who are either also dead or have no issue talking to a dead kid. You may as well argue that Rick, Ilsa, Victor, Renault, etc. are all dead in Casablanca.

2. There was a deadline for her next clickbait article.

While the latter makes the most sense, there's all too many people out there who can barely remember anything about any movie they've ever seen to rule out the former.

Last edited by ftg; 05-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
As noted, Keven goes shopping and talks to clerks, including harding one a coupon.
OMG you can buy a whole cart of groceries for under $20! Now I know this movie exists in a magical realm of unrealness.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
OMG you can buy a whole cart of groceries for under $20! Now I know this movie exists in a magical realm of unrealness.
For what he bought, in 1990, that amount doesn't seem odd to me. It's about $39 today, and he doesn't really have anything resembling a cartful of groceries there. Milk, toilet paper, Wonder bread, some frozen meals, toilet paper, orange juice, Saran Wrap, some laundry detergent. Might even be on the high side. If anything, it just seems like an odd selection of items for someone to buy while his folks are on vacation.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-06-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:57 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

This is also true in other movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote
I see Road Runners!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If anything, it just seems like an odd selection of items for someone to buy while his folks are on vacation.
You'd expect a kid in his situation to come up with an odd grocery list, between the temptations of being a kid getting his own way, the attempts at maturity and being the "man of the house", and the lack of experience at homemaking and grocery shopping.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You'd expect a kid in his situation to come up with an odd grocery list, between the temptations of being a kid getting his own way, the attempts at maturity and being the "man of the house", and the lack of experience at homemaking and grocery shopping.
I mean, mom and dad didn't have enough laundry detergent around? Or saran wrap or toilet paper? I mean, I understand wanting to experience "adulting," but that just seems like an odd choice. Never in a million years would those choices occur to me as a kid Kevin's age in the movie.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Hm, I see your point. He had a big family; however long a time they originally had toilet paper stocked up for, it would last Kevin by himself a much longer time: Unlikely that they were so close to running out right at that moment that he'd need to go out and get more. And they might have deliberately run out of perishables like milk right before going on a trip, but detergent and toilet paper last forever.

Maybe he just didn't know where the reserve supply was stored in the house? I dunno.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 PM

He was buying things he had coupons for, before they expired.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 PM

...but the coupons were expired the whole time!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
...but the coupons were expired the whole time!
Funny.

I like whacky alt theories. But I agree that the one linked to in the OP wasnít well thought out.

Not like, say, the Gilliganís Island one:
http://www.richardsramblings.com/200...ligans-island/

Old 05-07-2019, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Funny.

I like whacky alt theories. But I agree that the one linked to in the OP wasnít well thought out.

Cute!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

When I saw that post, my first thought was "Is that the one about drug smuggling?".

Yup. I don't know if it's a good crazy fan theory, but it's certainly one that's stuck with me.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I mean, mom and dad didn't have enough laundry detergent around? Or saran wrap or toilet paper? I mean, I understand wanting to experience "adulting," but that just seems like an odd choice. Never in a million years would those choices occur to me as a kid Kevin's age in the movie.
You're right. I can laugh off "Kevin is dead" but this has taken me completely out of the movie!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
You looked? That's product placement man! When they show the brands, you're supposed to look away as a matter of principle.

(Or maybe they didn't show the brands. I was looking away.)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Funny.

I prefer the Gilligan is the devil theory. It predates Lost.

http://www.zimbio.com/The+Craziest+T...n+Seven+Deadly
Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Funny.

I like whacky alt theories. But I agree that the one linked to in the OP wasn’t well thought out.

Not like, say, the Gilligan’s Island one:

Indeed, fine fun can be had with "whacky alt theories" about artistic works of all kinds -- the whackier the better ! I think here, of a -- well, interesting -- one propounded by a poster in the recent thread on "Cafe Society", about "what's the worst 'classic' book or author you read or tried to read?" Poster opined that the animated film of Watership Down is clearly an allegory of "the Soviet takeover of East Germany" (the book had not been to their taste, so only an initial small part read -- insufficient for forming views re allegories-or-not). I suppose that Woundwort does share some salient characteristics with Stalin; but essentially my "take" is that Watership Down is, simply, about humanised wild rabbits and their doings -- and that's what I would wish it to be about.

And, in Tolkien-related matters: I love the theory that Tom Bombadil is in actual fact -- despite the jovial facade which he shows -- deeply and dreadfully evil; that indeed, he is really the Witch-King of Angmar. For what I can perceive, they don't come much whackier than that...

Last edited by Sangahyando; 05-11-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Hm, I see your point. He had a big family; however long a time they originally had toilet paper stocked up for, it would last Kevin by himself a much longer time: Unlikely that they were so close to running out right at that moment that he'd need to go out and get more. And they might have deliberately run out of perishables like milk right before going on a trip, but detergent and toilet paper last forever.

Maybe he just didn't know where the reserve supply was stored in the house? I dunno.
His jerkass uncle probably shoved a dozen rolls in his suitcase.