Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 AM
Cabbage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 2,396

Identify this Haunted House Movie (~1980)


I have this memory of a haunted house movie from the late 70s/early 80s where the man of the house gets obsessed with an area of the basement and he starts busting through the wall with a sledgehammer or something like that. That part of the memory may be corrupted, but the distinct thing I remember is that one night this ghost drummer boy in military uniform (maybe Revolutionary or Civil War era) comes through the wall wandering through the house while the family is asleep.

For decades I thought this was one of the Amityville movies, but I recently rewatched the first two and it wasn't there (I've seen the third but not recently, so maybe that's the one).

While I'm at it, here's another one (I don't know if it's horror): I have a memory of like a game show where contestants are placed in an iron maiden held open by a rope that's being burned by a candle. The contestant is tied up or something and must escape before the the rope burns through, allowing the iron maiden to shut on them and kill them. My memory presents it as a real contest, though I know that can't be true, I'm guessing it was part of some movie. Pretty sure I saw this as a kid in the 70s. I have a very vague memory of seeing some Houdini movie (made for TV?) around this time and I wonder if that could be it; a scene like that would certainly be consistent with a Houdini movie, but it's only a dim memory.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help identifying either movie!
__________________
...ebius sig. This is a moebius sig. This is a mo...
(sig line courtesy of WallyM7)
  #2  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have this memory of a haunted house movie from the late 70s/early 80s where the man of the house gets obsessed with an area of the basement and he starts busting through the wall with a sledgehammer or something like that. That part of the memory may be corrupted, but the distinct thing I remember is that one night this ghost drummer boy in military uniform (maybe Revolutionary or Civil War era) comes through the wall wandering through the house while the family is asleep.

For decades I thought this was one of the Amityville movies, but I recently rewatched the first two and it wasn't there (I've seen the third but not recently, so maybe that's the one).

While I'm at it, here's another one (I don't know if it's horror): I have a memory of like a game show where contestants are placed in an iron maiden held open by a rope that's being burned by a candle. The contestant is tied up or something and must escape before the the rope burns through, allowing the iron maiden to shut on them and kill them. My memory presents it as a real contest, though I know that can't be true, I'm guessing it was part of some movie. Pretty sure I saw this as a kid in the 70s. I have a very vague memory of seeing some Houdini movie (made for TV?) around this time and I wonder if that could be it; a scene like that would certainly be consistent with a Houdini movie, but it's only a dim memory.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help identifying either movie!
Neither movie rings a bell with me.

Based on the description alone, is THIS your second film?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057646/
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #3  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,944
I can't find a movie with a Civil war Drummer Boy ghost, but this might be of interest:

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/1...stlytplace.htm

Quote:
98. Berkeley Plantation


Berkeley Plantation Viginia, Charles City founded in 1619 by 38 settlers from Berkeley Castle in England. The manor house was built by Benjamin Harrison in 1726. Both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were guests at the plantation. During the Civil War, General McCellan's Federal troops occupied Berkeley after retreating from Richmond. After the war, the plantation was bought by John Jamieson, a Scotsman who served as a drummer boy for McCellan. In 1927, the estate was inherited by his son, Malcolm, and has been in the Jamieson family ever since. Visitors to the restored mansion have reported seeing and hearing the ghost of a little drummer boy. The apparition of a tall, gaunt man has been seen walking along the riverbank, sometimes walking side-by-side with the little drummer boy along the old picket fence that runs up the hill to the cemetery.
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #4  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,306
The first one had me thinking it was Stir of Echoes until I read the part about the drummer boy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stir_of_Echoes
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164181/

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.
  #5  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Dropo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have a very vague memory of seeing some Houdini movie (made for TV?) around this time and I wonder if that could be it; a scene like that would certainly be consistent with a Houdini movie, but it's only a dim memory.
The Great Houdini (1976)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074587...1?ref_=nv_sr_1
  #6  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 16,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
That is...one hell of a cast!
__________________
Uke
  #7  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
That is...one hell of a cast!
I remember watching this when it aired; it was excellent.
  #8  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:12 AM
Meltdown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have this memory of a haunted house movie from the late 70s/early 80s where the man of the house gets obsessed with an area of the basement and he starts busting through the wall with a sledgehammer or something like that.
Could you possibly be conflating different movies? Because the sledgehammer scene sure sounds like this scene from the original Amityville Horror:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2L5KVtU8D0

But no ghost drummer boy.
  #9  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Cabbage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 2,396
Thanks for the responses! There's no way I'll recognize the movie by title alone, but I searched around and found Horror Castle on Amazon and The Great Houdini on Youtube. I plan on watching those soon and reporting back here when I do.

It's entirely possible I'm conflating things. In particular, I have a memory of seeing a parody of the drummer boy scene (on SNL or similar) which makes me think it was a well known scene at the time. On the other hand, it's possible this was merely a skit I saw somewhere and never a movie to begin with.

And thanks for the extra link, CalMeacham! I live in VA and that looks like a place worth checking out one day.

Oh, and it's definitely not Stir of Echoes; I actually watched that fairly recently.

Last edited by Cabbage; 05-10-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: echoes
  #10  
Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 PM
LC Strawhouse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,713
It could be "Deep Red" (1975), or "House by the Cemetery" (1981). Both had a pivotal little boy character (though not a ghost), and both had the breaking down of a blocked up house area as the climactic scene.
  #11  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:23 AM
saucywench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Another drummer boy ghost story...

https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/The_Drummer_Boy


Cabbage-Did you tell ghost stories when you were kid? Have you watched the two movies? S
  #12  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 AM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 24,712
The drummer boy story sounds a lot like an episode of Sapphire and Steel, but then again it also does not.
  #13  
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 AM
saucywench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Does anyone remember a 70's horror movie, pretty sure it was a foreign film, where a woman gets raped by Satan in the form of a goat? I don't want that in my search history, and I didn't want to start a thread with rape in the title. Thanks.
  #14  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 AM
Cabbage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 2,396
It's definitely not Deep Red or House by the Cemetery, both of which I've seen as an adult (the one in question is a somewhat faded childhood memory).

Never heard of Sapphire and Steel, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be it. Any place you know that I can find that particular episode?

I've loved ghost stories all my life and I'm sure I've told several (in my youth as well as adulthood).

Thanks again for all of the responses! I haven't been able to watch the two movies; I've been busy finishing up grades for the school year. I should be able to get around to watching them in a week or so; I'll report back then, whether they are the movies in question or not.
  #15  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Cabbage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
Does anyone remember a 70's horror movie, pretty sure it was a foreign film, where a woman gets raped by Satan in the form of a goat? I don't want that in my search history, and I didn't want to start a thread with rape in the title. Thanks.
The first movie that popped in my head was Incubus (with William Shatner and in Esperanto). It's been quite a while since I've seen it; I thought I remembered a goat and I was right:

SPOILER:
Kia defies him and makes the sign of the cross, surprising even herself. The incubus transforms into a goat and wrestles her to the ground.

After the struggle she claims, "I belong to the God of Light," and crawls toward Marc, who immediately embraces her. The final scene shows the couple staring in disbelief at the boundary of the cathedral, with the goat gazing back at them.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1966_film)
  #16  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 AM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 24,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Never heard of Sapphire and Steel, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be it. Any place you know that I can find that particular episode?
There may not be a particular episode, it's just the kind of thing the series dealt with - apparitions of historical ghosts were a major theme. It fits the atmosphere of your description, and the timeline, but not necessarily the specifics. Here's a YouTube playlist that might jog a memory.

Last edited by GuanoLad; 05-12-2019 at 05:55 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 PM
saucywench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
The first movie that popped in my head was Incubus (with William Shatner and in Esperanto). It's been quite a while since I've seen it; I thought I remembered a goat and I was right:

SPOILER:
Kia defies him and makes the sign of the cross, surprising even herself. The incubus transforms into a goat and wrestles her to the ground.

After the struggle she claims, "I belong to the God of Light," and crawls toward Marc, who immediately embraces her. The final scene shows the couple staring in disbelief at the boundary of the cathedral, with the goat gazing back at them.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1966_film)
Thanks Cabbage! I guess I forgot to mention a woman eats a frog, or frog's head, during their satanic ritual/orgy. Funny thing, when I was looking up Incubus, I found the movie. It's this one...

The Antichrist (1974) L'anticristo (original title)

They were calling it The Tempter when I saw it.

Last edited by saucywench; 05-12-2019 at 07:34 PM.
  #18  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Miss Gulch is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
"The House That Would Not Die" had a scene with one of the main characters smashing the basement floor with a sledgehammer. I'm not sure about the drummer boy, though the movie is about a haunting from the Revolutionary War. (The book this movie was based on is one of my favorites...Ammie, Come Home by Barbara Michaels (a.k.a. Elizabeth Peters.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065855/
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017