Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Was Cryer cast simply because he was in Superman IV (as Lex's nephew)? I mean, he seems like an odd choice, but certainly not as odd as Jesse fucking Eisenberg.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
This was answered in this episode. It was the Staff of Macguffin, and Manchester Black didn't make holograms so much as illusions or mental projections. He knew about it because he took the information straight out of J'onn's mind.
Not that big pole thing. I meant the small, hand-held, white-and-gray plastic thing that looked like it was taken from the set of Star Trek TNG.

Oh.

It was the big pole thing in disguise, wasn’t it?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 AM

S04E16: The House of L

The House of L promo: https://youtu.be/Ls_tXRKMLrU

LEX LUTHOR CONTINUES TO WREAK HAVOC - In the wake of Lex Luthor's (guest star Jon Cryer) return, the show flashes back to what he's been doing for the last two years and how his secret machinations and plans have affected Supergirl and Lena.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:51 PM

SPOILER:

Hmm. Apparently CatCo doesn't do background checks on their employees, or they might have noticed that Eve visited Lex in prison days before being hired.

Lex-as-a-hologram gives off a Dr. Manhattan vibe.

I was pleased to see that Red Daughter is not just a dupe or puppet of Lex - she's already showing some independence and thoughtfulness.

The guy who is playing Otis Graves is definitely evoking the Ned Beatty version of Otis. Fun for the fans of Christopher Reeve's "Superman."

Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 AM

The introduction of Lex Luthor has made an already interesting season at least an order of magnitude more interesting. As with last week, when I was surprised that Miss Tessmacher! was working for Lex all along, I was also surprised this week when we found out that Lex was involved with Red Daughter as well as being behind Ben Lockwood. I shouldn't have been, because it all makes sense now, but I was still greatly surprised. Also Lex knows that Kara is Supergirl, yet somehow Lena still doesn't. Who's smarter now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
The guy who is playing Otis Graves is definitely evoking the Ned Beatty version of Otis. Fun for the fans of Christopher Reeve's "Superman."
[I think we can dispense with spoiler boxes now.]
The writers have done a lot of homages to Christopher Reeve's Superman. In the very first episode, they referred to Clark's "glasses and a slouch" method of maintaining a disguise. When Kara was affected by red kryptonite, they recreated the bar scene where Superman flicks peanuts at the speed of bullets, smashing glasses and bottles. During the Crisis on Earth-X, Supergirl asked her Nazi counterpart, "General, would you like to step outside?"
Old 03-25-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Hmm. Apparently CatCo doesn't do background checks on their employees, or they might have noticed that Eve visited Lex in prison days before being hired.
What kind of jobs do you apply for that check a person's life at that level of detail? Especially for a receptionist/executive assistant role?

Even if her being way over-qualified raised a flag, the question "have you ever visited someone in prison, and in particular a super-villain?" is not likely to come up.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Krasnaya Dochʹ = Red Daughter
Old 03-27-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
What kind of jobs do you apply for that check a person's life at that level of detail? Especially for a receptionist/executive assistant role?

Even if her being way over-qualified raised a flag, the question "have you ever visited someone in prison, and in particular a super-villain?" is not likely to come up.
Okay, maybe I was overreacting. Still, you'd think Lex Luthor was a big enough deal that a lot of news organizations (like CatCo) would be following up on his imprisonment with human interest stories like "So who is visiting Lex in prison those days?" and would notice that someone on that very short list got a job at a media firm. And Lena should be paranoid enough, after taking over LexCorp, to hire a PI to _thoroughly_ investigate someone before hiring them as a personal assistant.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Krasnaya Dochʹ = Red Daughter
This is the Cyrillic that replaced the Supergirl title, right? Very cool indeed.

Last edited by Terminus Est; 03-27-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Not sure how I feel about making Lockwood a patsy. He was an interesting villain in his own right but I enjoyed the last two episodes (watched them both back to back). After a few decades of legitimate businessman Lex it is fun to see outright Super villain Lex again.

This also felt like a retcon because i am pretty sure it wasn't planned from the beginning but it's okay.

Did they ever explain how Otis came back? I thought he died.

Melisa Benoist was great as Red Daughter. She reminds me of SMG on Buffy where her acting get under appreciated because it is a genre show.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Not sure how I feel about making Lockwood a patsy. He was an interesting villain in his own right but I enjoyed the last two episodes (watched them both back to back). After a few decades of legitimate businessman Lex it is fun to see outright Super villain Lex again.
I don't think Lockwood is a really pasty. But Lex is, no doubt, secretly funding the Children of Liberty as well as supporting the organization in other ways. He probably has a Putin-style army of trolls fomenting anti-alien sentiment on social media.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 AM

S04E17: All About Eve

All About Eve promo: https://youtu.be/6NGXKi440Ys

SUPERGIRL FACES HER BIGGEST CHALLENGE YET - Supergirl must deal with the destructive aftermath of Lex's (guest star Jon Cryer) nefarious plans. Shocked at what Lex has created, Supergirl faces her biggest challenge yet.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 AM

For an episode entitled "All About Eve", there was surprisingly little of Eve Tessmacher in it. No matter. As Lex's flunky, she was extremely effective in upending Supergirl's life more than it already has been. I wonder when they will realize that Kara has a double flying about?

J'onn got sidelined once again. It wouldn't do to have two superpowered individuals looking for the most dangerous man on the planet, would it? They even contrived an excuse to get him off-planet. Is he even going to get back in time for the inevitable final confrontation with Lex?

I thought at first that Jimmy was getting superhearing, a manifestation of his getting superpowers. Nope. Turns out he just has PTSD from getting shot. He's going to be even more useless now.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Any excuse to show J'onn flying through space in his car is worth it. Lena has become my favorite supporting character since Willow Rosenberg. Katie McGrath is so good she's constantly on the verge of upstaging Melissa Benoist, no small task. Eustacia has been having us watch every episode of Merlin, and the presence of Katie McGrath is what makes it tolerable for me.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:09 AM

S04E18: Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment promo: https://youtu.be/ry2F7YnSkw0

WILLIE GARSON GUEST STARS - Supergirl and Lena head to Stryker's Island to search for clues on how to defeat Lex. At the prison, Supergirl tries to befriend a nosy prisoner, Steve (guest star Willie Garson), who may have insight into what Lex was doing, but he and all of the prisoners regard her as a traitor to the country and refuse to talk to her. Lena realizes Lex left behind clues for her and deciphering them could be the key to his whereabouts. Meanwhile, Kelly (guest star Azie Tesfai) encourages James to talk to someone about his PTSD, and Alex faces off against Ben Lockwood after he storms the DEO and acquires some powerful weapons to hunt Supergirl.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM

I always like it when they show Kara being a reporter, like she's supposed to be. She really should have gone into the prison with Lena as a reporter in the first place rather than as Supergirl. Then they could have had a great sequence where she had to protect Lena and maybe Steve while not giving away her secret identity. Still, there was a great moment where Metallo-Otis, chasing after Supergirl, rounds the corner and sees Kara. I guess Lex doesn't see fit to tell his henchman all the details of their target.

It turns out Jimmy may not have PTSD at all but rather may be developing superpowers as I expected. He may turn out to be not entirely useless after all.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Still, there was a great moment where Metallo-Otis, chasing after Supergirl, rounds the corner and sees Kara. I guess Lex doesn't see fit to tell his henchman all the details of their target.
Metallo had a surprisingly deep critique of crisis reporting...
Old 04-28-2019, 07:09 AM

S04E19: American Dreamer

American Dreamer promo: https://youtu.be/wl_9Z3iTGps
American Dreamer scene: https://youtu.be/vwklgVMZ_30

DAVID HAREWOOD DIRECTS - As Kara doggedly works as a reporter to clear Supergirl's name, Dreamer picks up the slack as National City's protector, which leads to a showdown with Ben Lockwood. James takes drastic measures to relieve his PTSD.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM

I was lamenting last week that we didn't get to see Kara surreptitiously using her powers while maintaining her cover. Well, we got that this week. It's like the writers could read my mind. It was a great sequence, too, until James had to go and ruin it all. Kara, Dreamer, and Brainy had the situation well in hand, Jimmy. They didn't need you to butt in.

I wanted this episode to be more about Nia, who interesting to me, and less about Jimmy, who isn't. Why'd they have to go and give Jimmy Olsen superpowers anyway?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I was lamenting last week that we didn't get to see Kara surreptitiously using her powers while maintaining her cover. Well, we got that this week. It's like the writers could read my mind. It was a great sequence, too, until James had to go and ruin it all. Kara, Dreamer, and Brainy had the situation well in hand, Jimmy. They didn't need you to butt in.

I wanted this episode to be more about Nia, who interesting to me, and less about Jimmy, who isn't. Why'd they have to go and give Jimmy Olsen superpowers anyway?
Jimmy Olsen with superpowers is a stock plot from the Silver age (not that that makes it a good idea here) - but I did appreciate the show coming up with a suitably horrible traumatic memory for James.

I wish Kara had thought of the idea of adopting a different superhero identity for a while. It would be interesting to see her as (for example) a red-wigged superhero called Flame of Justice.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM

S04E20: Will The Real Miss Tessmacher Please Stand Up?

Will The Real Miss Tessmacher Please Stand Up? promo: https://youtu.be/qrn3zlK8FYY

MISS TESSMACHER RETURNS WITH A VENGEANCE - Kara and Lena head to Kaznia to hunt down Lex. However, Eve Tessmacher (guest star Andrea Brooks) sets a trap for the duo that could ultimately reveal that Kara is Supergirl. Meanwhile, Alex gets a long-awaited phone call, James practices using his powers, and Ben Lockwood takes a dangerous stand inside the DEO.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM

Have I mentioned how much I like it when we get to see Kara using her powers while trying to maintain her cover? Because I really, really like it and we got to see her do it again this week. This time she had to save a whole plane that she and Lena were riding. It was a bit of a cop out that the plane was automated (wouldn't the FAA have something to say about that?) and so Lena very conveniently had to go to the cockpit to manually land the plane, leaving Kara alone in the passenger cabin. Still made for a good bit of comedy when Lena found Kara "passed out" in the back. At the end there was also a Christopher Reeve moment when Kara was about to reveal herself to Lena but then thought better of it. We got to see her take her glasses off and transform into Supergirl purely by posture, and then put her glasses back on and transform back into Kara again by posture alone.

Speaking of cop outs, dénouement of the Ben Lockwood and the D.E.O. conflict was pretty much J'onn ex machina. Really, really convenient that J'onn returned to Earth at that very moment.

As for the Alex subplot, why would the writers choose this moment to revisit Alex's desire to have a child. That whole interlude was just a distraction to the two main storylines. Also, I don't particularly care that they seem to be setting up Alex with Jimmy Olsen's sister.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 PM

I'm bingeing and now in S4, so just jumping into something that's bothered me in this series before but is really getting on my nerves now: in general, treatment of the military has been totally absurd, but right now it's really pissing me off that since this colonel whasername took control of DEO, suddenly Alex is "a soldier" and apparently so is Supergirl (well, not by the chapter I'm watching, right now she's "fired"... can you be fired from voluntary cooperation? Because either they pay her in an envelope or it's voluntary cooperation, not work and not a job). No grade given, ever, and the only prior mentions of military grades or personnel in the DEO has been back when general whasisname took over for John Jones (I know it's not spelled like that but damn those DC character creators really needed a bit more imagination with names).

WHAT SOLDIER WHEN WHERE DAMNIT

Oh, and mucho girl power but the military male officers get to be generals and the military female officers get to be a major (who doesn't so much as give an order to dust those bookshelves) and a colonel.

Last edited by Nava; 05-08-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 AM

Nava: See post #43ff, where we start wondering about Col Haley, the D.E.O. and Kara's relationship with them.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM

S04E21: Red Dawn

Red Dawn promo: https://youtu.be/8572oTnwRZw

SUPERGIRL BATTLES RED DAUGHTER - Kara comes face to face with Red Daughter and the two engage in an epic battle. Determined to find a way to extract the Harun-El, Lena turns to an unlikely source for help - Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong). Meanwhile, Alex realizes she's missing parts of her memory, and Brainy, Nia and J'onn set out to track down aliens who have been abducted by Lex.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 AM

I was wondering when we'd get around to addressing Alex's missing memories. Cool that they brought back teenage Alex and Kara. I'm a little disappointed that the issue seems to be over and done with so quickly. It would have been better and more dramatic, I think, if Alex had slowly started to regain her memories throughout the season.

So is that it for Luthor's false flag operation? Is that it for Krasnaya Doch? If super powered Lex in a supersuit can defeat her so easily, what does that mean for Kara? And has Brainiac 5 gone full evil ancestral Brainiac?

This season has been really good. Possibly the best of this season's Arrowverse shows.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:36 AM

I thought the strangest bit was when Kara pulled sunlight out of the plants, but apparently Superman has done it in The Dark Knight Returns.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I was wondering when we'd get around to addressing Alex's missing memories. Cool that they brought back teenage Alex and Kara. I'm a little disappointed that the issue seems to be over and done with so quickly. It would have been better and more dramatic, I think, if Alex had slowly started to regain her memories throughout the season.

So is that it for Luthor's false flag operation? Is that it for Krasnaya Doch? If super powered Lex in a supersuit can defeat her so easily, what does that mean for Kara? And has Brainiac 5 gone full evil ancestral Brainiac?

This season has been really good. Possibly the best of this season's Arrowverse shows.
Right now, Lex's plan has a huge problem - all Supergirl has to do to reveal it is show up in public, and Lex and the President's credibility take a huge hit. But I suspect Lex has a plan for that too.

Gutsy move on the part of Red Daughter to use Kryptonite as a weapon against Kara.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:18 AM

S04E22: The Quest for Peace [Season Finale]

The Quest for Peace promo: https://youtu.be/yJfbA79h06E

LEX LUTHOR RETURNS - Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) descends upon Washington, DC and summons Lena and Lillian Luthor (guest star Brenda Strong) to the White House. Supergirl realizes she has one last chance to stop Lex and turns to the power of the press to help her.

The episode title has to be reference to Jon Cryer's previous role on Superman IV.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 AM

A great finale to cap off a great season. Perhaps the only sour note was that the "power of the press" scene was overly simplistic. In this age of trolls farms and fake news, the good citizens of Earth-38 were too willing to believe the latest thing their smart phones told them, whether it be Lex's false flag operation or Kara's article exonerating Supergirl. Still, we're talking about a series whose protagonist's primary means of solving problems is to punch them into submission.

I was anticipating Brainy, having gone full BRAINIAC, would become the Big Bad for the next season, which would have been awesome. But he came back rather too quickly. Instead, it looks like Lena might be going full Luthor. I don't know how I feel about that. Also, Miss Tessmacher! is revealed to have her own agenda. That part I like.

The Monitor appears to have big plans for Earth-38. Bringing in another Green Martian who's after J'onn, and seemingly reviving Lex. What's his game?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I was anticipating Brainy, having gone full BRAINIAC, would become the Big Bad for the next season, which would have been awesome. But he came back rather too quickly.
The Monitor appears to have big plans for Earth-38.
I also wish that BRAINIAC would have become the Big Bad for next season, but there's always the chance that, possibly through the Monitor's machinations in the Multiverse (say that three times fast) we'll get to see a BRAINIAC from another universe.

By the way, BRAINIAC sounded like Rod Serling, which was cool.