Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM

speaking of sequels a few years back (2014) 9 of the top 10 movies in box office were sequels or part of a series. Interstellar was the only one that was not.

So your great grandkids can look forward to Star Wars 47 , Batman 34, Superman 62, etc. As the saying goes, follow the money.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
amazing how so much time is spent talking about how much money a movie makes. I guess some people use it as a way to judge the quality of a movie.
It's more of sports thing, you know? People are rooting for the team they like, and are hoping it will "win". Objectively speaking, a movie's box office has no more, and no less, impact on a regular person's life than which team wins the World Series or whatever. It's just another score to follow.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
It's not a valid comparison, though - Avatar, like Titanic, had a relatively modest opening weekend followed by very low week-to-week drops. For whatever reason, James Cameron films have amazing "legs". Endgame may very well pass Avatar, but it won't make nearly as much money on its 7th weekend.
Avatar and Titanic....were both December releases. And stayed onto January and Feburary, they had little competition. Endgame was and is at the start of the blkockbuster season.

Titanic was before the era of same day global release. Avatar was at the start of said era. Lots of people watched it later as it released in their market.

I have three multiplexes within 45 minutes of my house, plus several smaller cinemas with usually 1 big and 2 small screens.

The only place I was able to get early tickets were in my Country Club's auditorium (which has a 3D cinema screen). They were running 4-5 shows. Back to back. I managed to snag a ticket, barely, only late Friday night (26th April). Nearly a week in advance. Its a 1000 seat auditorium. I just checked. Running 3 shows a day. Sold out.

I rememebr Avatar. Getting tickets was no problem.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Endgame may very well pass Avatar, but it won't make nearly as much money on its 7th weekend.
The current theory is that Endgame may still be raking in the bucks for the same reason Captain Marvel is still in the top five: It's proximity to another film set in the MCU releasing while its still in theaters. If it can hold out until Spider-Man: Far From Home it should see a bounce due to themes that tie in to the new film.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Just to point out the current math on Avatar vs. A:E. In 10 days A:E reached almost 80% of Avatar's worldwide total.

10 days.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

One other way A:E is making money--the cost to SHOW the print has been slashed. No longer does the studio have to pay for a mile of film per screen (yes, prints could be interlocked for multiple screens, but no SANE person does that....for long...) The movie arrives on a hard drive, and the booth server can send it to ALL the projectors without costing the studios more.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
One other way A:E is making money--the cost to SHOW the print has been slashed. No longer does the studio have to pay for a mile of film per screen (yes, prints could be interlocked for multiple screens, but no SANE person does that....for long...) The movie arrives on a hard drive, and the booth server can send it to ALL the projectors without costing the studios more.
Not only can multiplexes now show the movie on every single screen, but also it can be released simultaneously worldwide.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

This weekend brings it to $2,485,499,739 worldwide.

It needs $300M more to pass Avatar. I assume it will do this, but will it if adjusted for inflation. Oddly enough, I feel like movie tickets haven't gone up by me since Avatar....but that was 10 years ago.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:32 PM

I am proud to record that I was part of the NON-American box-office take. I watched the movie in Ljubljana on the Monday after it opened. The theater was at least 80% full for an 8:30 pm showing.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM

I think they're trying to hold out until memoria day/l fathers day .. because unless there's another "dad" movie to go see anyone who hadn't seen it by then should go see (or re-see it ) it those weekends ....

Now heres a q does those totals include the "dollar/budget " cinemas? you know the ones that have the 3-6-month old movie for 1-2 dollars a showing? (usually right before or at the same time as the home release ? )
Old 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Now heres a q does those totals include the "dollar/budget " cinemas? you know the ones that have the 3-6-month old movie for 1-2 dollars a showing? (usually right before or at the same time as the home release ? )
Yep. Black Panther continued to bring in small money in the secondary theaters for quite a while. Just before it came out on video they pulled a stunt to ensure it crossed $700M in the last weekend.

Note that first run or not, a ticket is a ticket. They all get counted in the box office. Which is a different number than the net the studio gets. Quite high (sometimes 100%) in the first week or two. Then trailing off.

A:E's drop of 67% in the third weekend is making it harder to hope that it will claim #1 domestic. I'm starting to have doubts about #1 worldwide.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Do these still exist in numbers in the U.S.? All of our local ones closed up in the late 1990s.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Do these still exist in numbers in the U.S.? All of our local ones closed up in the late 1990s.
There's two in our area. More "second run" than "dollar". One charges $3.50 and the other is a mixed 1st/2nd run with prices "starting at" $4.99.

Anyway: A:E 4th weekend. Another big drop of 53+%. First time not at #1.

No question it's not going to passing SW:TFA domestically. (Which it has passed worldwide.)

It does look like it will pass Avatar worldwide. (Which it has now passed domestically.)

I expected a big drop after the first weekend. Few movies of this ilk drop so much in subsequent weekends. I guess not a lot of 2nd time watchers.