Old 04-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Tell me why VEEP isn't the worse show in history.

Tried to watch the season opener on Sunday.

I guess I'm just not a cool, hip judge of cutting edge humor, but it's still the most awful show ever.

Still the same idiots screaming for no reason. Don't care if they're Democrats or Republicans or whatever, but I'd rather watch Modern Family.

Satire on Trump? Don't care, still stinks.

What am I missing by a mile?

Apparently, I'm alone in this.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Why would anyone care to get you to like a show that you don't like? Part of the humor comes from knowing the characters so that will be lost on you but mostly it's not your style of humor. Who the fuck cares? Move on.

I can't sit through more than ten minutes of Big Bang Theory but it's one of the most popular and beloved sitcoms of all time. So it's not my style. Thankfully I am not forced at gun point to watch it and there is so much other content now that I can coexist with it in my world.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM

I'm not saying it's good, but on a scale of sucking throughout TV history, it scores pretty low.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM

I don't know if it's the worst show in history but I haven't watched it since season 1 myself. I am a fan of the actors in it but the show itself just isn't clicking for me.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Don't watch it. Just because I like it doesn't mean you have to like it, nor vice versa.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
You realize that it premiered during Obama's first term, right? You should start in Season 1 so that you understand how they got where they are now. Most cult comedies (The Good Place, Schitts Creek, Derry Girls, Arrested Development) these days are not based upon stand alone episodes like Modern Family. They have long character and story arcs rather than 22 minutes of jokes around 1 topic before moving to the next event in the following week.

That being said, I do like some shorter form comedies- Parks & Rec is pretty good, but I can't stand the Office. So to each their own.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Because there's still the Gong Show and a bunch of "reality" TV shows that are worse.

(ETA: I've never watched it, so I have no idea if I like it or not. But the above is still the correct answer for most "worst TV show ever" comments. )

Last edited by Morgyn; 04-01-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Four words: "My Mother the Car".
Old 04-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Hey, some people love Arrested Development. I think it's juvenile and stupid. To each his own.

As for VEEP: The show has some real laugh out loud bits, and the cast is made up of solid veterans. We watched it for a number of seasons, but finally abandoned it when the writers decided to have Dreyfus's character refer to Queen Elizabeth as a cunt. It's not that we're prudes by any stretch of the imagination; we just thought that it seemed like the writers were running out of original material if they had to resort to that.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Quote:
You realize that it premiered during Obama's first term, right? You should start in Season 1 so that you understand how they got where they are now. Most cult comedies (The Good Place, Schitts Creek, Derry Girls, Arrested Development) these days are not based upon stand alone episodes like Modern Family. They have long character and story arcs rather than 22 minutes of jokes around 1 topic before moving to the next event in the following week.
Second that Trump is not really the butt of the jokes. (I don't think he was mentioned even obliquely in the season premiere.) And like Seinfeld, really none of the characters are meant to be likable. I find it hilarious and even more so on subsequent viewings.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM

It's got a good beat and you can dance to it.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Four Words: Heil, Honey I'm Home.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Hey, some people love Arrested Development. I think it's juvenile and stupid. To each his own.

As for VEEP: The show has some real laugh out loud bits, and the cast is made up of solid veterans. We watched it for a number of seasons, but finally abandoned it when the writers decided to have Dreyfus's character refer to Queen Elizabeth as a cunt. It's not that we're prudes by any stretch of the imagination; we just thought that it seemed like the writers were running out of original material if they had to resort to that.
You abandoned a show you enjoyed because of one joke that fell flat for you? Humor is a risk, and no one bats 1000

I like the show quite a bit. It's probably not for everyone.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

For me the show lost it last season after Serena left the Presidency. It seemed like the same show but nothing worked. Without the background of her being in the actual offices, the pettiness overwhelmed. I stopped watching after a few episodes because it was in fact too awful to bother with.

I haven't seen this year's episode, but my guess is that it's a terrible place to start watching the show. Go back a few years and start there.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM

To be honest, I don't find shouting and swearing (even creative swearing) to be inherently funny. But I do like humour where people's well-intentioned plans fall apart. "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" are sentimental favourites for me.

P.S. Whatever happened to the word "worst"? I used to like that word.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Four Words: The Chevy Chase Show.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
You abandoned a show you enjoyed because of one joke that fell flat for you? Humor is a risk, and no one bats 1000

I like the show quite a bit. It's probably not for everyone.
Yes. Yes I did.

Bully for you.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
For me the show lost it last season after Serena left the Presidency. It seemed like the same show but nothing worked. Without the background of her being in the actual offices, the pettiness overwhelmed. I stopped watching after a few episodes because it was in fact too awful to bother with.

I haven't seen this year's episode, but my guess is that it's a terrible place to start watching the show. Go back a few years and start there.
Yeah, that's about the point I lost interest, or rather it stopped being must-see TV. The seasons up to that are gold, though, IMHO. There's very little that keeps my attention for more than a couple episodes on TV, so it's in good company. The only other (comedic) shows I've really followed in the past ten-fifteen years other than this are Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, It's Always Sunny..., and Arrested Development.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Because Gary.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 PM

Indiana?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
How about "Cop Rock" or more recently, "Action"?

Cop Rock: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098772/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Action: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206467/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Yeah, "Action"'s highly rated. There's a reason it didn't last very long, and it was because most people rightfully thought it sucked.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Four words: Touched By an Angel.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
How about "Cop Rock" or more recently, "Action"?

Cop Rock: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098772/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Action: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206467/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Yeah, "Action"'s highly rated. There's a reason it didn't last very long, and it was because most people rightfully thought it sucked.
Well, neither of those is four words.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM

The Simple Life
Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

This season's premiere is still lacking purpose, and I think the rest of the season will end up that way. There's still a bit of top quality political satire in the show, but the plot is no longer compelling. I'll keep recording the shows but watching them won't be a priority for me. I suppose I'll want to follow the season and see the finale, but I expect it to be disappointing.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey! I liked My Mother, the Car.

Of course, I was six years old when it aired.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM

Manimal
Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 AM

You are objectively wrong, Veep is one of the better shows on television and although it has declined in quality somewhat in the past couple of seasons, the writing is crisp, the satire is cutting and performances are excellent. As for it being a parody of Trump, I don't no where you're getting that, it is a satire of America, especially its venal ruling class. If anything, it is more a parody of the naked and ethically void ambition of the Clintons. In last night's episode when she was forced to come up with a reason for wanting to be president, in her honest moment she declared "because it's my turn, America owes me and this time I want a war!" But of course she knows she can't sat that, so she decides on "giving America a better deal or some fucking crap like that." Which is pretty much the DNC standard platform. Veep smartly doesn't bother parodying Trump because anyone so openly corrupt and incompetent isn't funny. What is funny is that you get the sense that for Selina and everyone on her team, there was a time that they actually believed the crap they spew, but that so long ago, they forget what actually caring felt like. That's as sharp a parody of America as you can get; given that we are all required to parrot that America is the greatest nation on earth every few hours, I'm amazed Veep is allowed to stay so good by the forces of mediocrity that drive our society.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Fish Police!
Old 04-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Because its target demographic consists of people who know the difference between "worse" and "worst"?
Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 PM

I have gotten more consistent laughs out of Veep and Arrested Development than nearly any other show in the last 10 to 15 years. I tried Modern Family but it just didn't click for me. It seemed obvious and the characters mostly annoyed me.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 PM

"Growing Up Gotti" got high ratings and stayed on the air as long as it did because the show was very popular with teenage girls, who ogled the sons.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405545/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The short-lived MTV cartoon "The Brothers Grunt" wasn't much better.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158522/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 04-02-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 PM

I married dora https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Married_Dora

As far as I know this show never aired in prime time I only seen clips of it at like 3:30 am ….but it was protested by the left and right when they announced it and the critics they screened it for said it was crap

Juliette Lewis has never admitted to being in it …..(and that's saying something )

Last edited by nightshadea; 04-02-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 AM

2 Broke Girls

Last edited by Tinker Grey; 04-03-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
I married dora https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Married_Dora

As far as I know this show never aired in prime time I only seen clips of it at like 3:30 am .but it was protested by the left and right when they announced it and the critics they screened it for said it was crap

Juliette Lewis has never admitted to being in it ..(and that's saying something )
I Married Dora ran for 13 episodes, all aired on primetime, Fridays at 7:30 (CST) on ABC. I watched it new. While it did get cancelled after 13 episodes, it didn't suck enough to fit in this thread.

I forgot Juliette Lewis was in it. Gawd I hate her acting.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 PM

I'm loving this season so far; I like how they split decomposited Trump into Selina and Jonah, Amy has of course become Kellyanne Conway without the family life.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM

I found the show quite amusing at first. But the schtick grew old fairly fast, so I didn't even make it through S1, although I've sampled a few episodes here and there (I was curious, for instance, to see what it would be like when she became president).
Old 04-29-2019, 10:36 PM

I like the show quite a bit, but real-life's absurdity has made it scramble to seem satirical and not idealized.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 PM

Dusty's Trail.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
No. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Don't watch it. Just because I like it doesn't mean you have to like it, nor vice versa.
This is s very lazy and nonsensical response to criticism. If this is a legitimate response then theres never any reason to debate the merits of Art.

The main point of art is to discuss it, analyze it, etc. its not only a valid question, but its possibly the most important question to ask why you like or dislike something.

Okay. Given that.

Veep is an American remake of a brilliant British show called The Thick of It. Go watch that show.

Its a satire but throughout it has the eerie quality of seeming entirely realistic. Its a perfect exploration of the shallowness and scheming of the political class, and juxtaposing that with the values that attracted the characters to public service in the first place.

Ultimately its an indictment of the public for being so easily susceptible to shallow skullduggery.

Veep is the American translation in which the characters are dumber and slightly lovable.

This was a decent satire for the pre-Trump era, but its completely obsolete in the age of new-fascism rising all over the world.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems to me that's supposed to be bad, otherwise I'd have gone with that instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Four Words: The Chevy Chase Show.
Talk shows shouldn't count.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
AKA Gilligan's Wagon Train.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was trying to recall a good example of just how bad things could get in the vast wasteland of 1960s sitcoms. Thank you for saving me the trouble!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 PM

Well it's all over now.

SPOILER:
I loved Selina's funeral; I kept waiting for the pallbearers to actually drop the coffin as one final indignity for her. Catherine celebrating with margaritas was a nice touch.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Was kinda hoping Andrew would show up, since he managed to cheat death. Also kinda hoping Amy and Dan would stay together (Amy and Diedrich Bader's character? Really?).

Sigh. Gary...

OTOH, Richard Splett. Well, okay, maybe there is hope....
As far as society is concerned, men don't really have feelings. Now, women, they have feelings, and men pay heavy penalties for not respecting those feelings. On the other hand, men have insecurities, and women collect substantial rewards for learning how to exploit them.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malienation View Post
Was kinda hoping Andrew would show up, since he managed to cheat death.
SPOILER:
I think he walked through a scene at the funeral.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 05-14-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malienation View Post
Amy and Diedrich Bader's character? Really?
Hey, he's sexy. He sounds like Batman.

I have to admit I want to see a spin off about Richard's presidency. After the satire with a terrible person as president, not to mention icky reality, I'm game for a fantasy about an intelligent and moral (if a bit literal-minded) person in the job.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Wonderful finale. Of course Richard ended up becoming a great President. Who doesn't love Richard Splett, the guy with the email address splettnet2@splettnet.net?