Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 AM

When I really love a movie, I watch it ten to twenty times, and that pretty much runs its course for me. There are a number of movies in that category for me, so I won't even bother trying to list them.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:53 AM

I don't watch movies over and over except when I'm forced to by children.......

I too watched the Wizard of Oz every year as a kid (born in 61) and then watched it with my kids every year. I recorded it on VHS one year and it became my son's go to movie one summer (he was 2-1/2). He watched it at least once a day. Then my grandkids came along and I recorded it on the DVR. I must have watched it at least once a week with them.

The above is also true for Rudolph.

Besides The Wizard of Oz & Rudolph the other movie kicks my son had were:

The Beastmaster
The Dirtbike Kid
Rad
Laurel & Hardy (all of them!)
A Christmas Story
Wayne Gretzky: Above & Beyond

I also watched them way too many times to count.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Around ages 12-14, I watched Excalibur(1981) countless times. My friends and I would even run it as background noise.

Eta: hilarious. I can't believe how many big names were in that movie. Totally lost on my 13 year old self.

Last edited by CarnalK; 05-09-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 AM

When I was a kid we had a VHS tape with Star Wars, The Princess Bride, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. I watched that tape every day on summer vacation for years. They were taped off the TV broadcast, at EP speed, so the video and audio quality was very poor and they still had all the commercial breaks. I still expect the commercial breaks to come on when I watch those movies to this day.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Címon! Thereís no way youíve watched Wizard of Oz mire times than anyone in the world. I mean that term literally!
I'm sure you're right. But there was a point in time that I (and my kids) knew every freaking line of dialogue in that movie.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
The Dirtbike Kid
I was an extra in The Dirtbike Kid. Working title at the time was Crazy Wheels.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Mine is Design for Living with Gary Cooper, Fredric March and Miriam Hopkins. Written by Noel Coward, directed by Ernst Lubitch. Probably seen in 10 or 15 times and it's fairly unknown these days. Impossible to believe it's about a threesome, in 1933. Also very funny. Everyone is really good but Miriam Hopkins is amazing. Edward Everett Horton has a great part. Yes, I'm trying to talk everyone into seeking this film out.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM

The only movies I've repeated to unhealthy levels is Star Wars. I couldn't even tell you how many times. It's basically my religion. Sadly, I'm sure there are many people that have seen them many more times than me.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM

We got cable and HBO in 1977. I begged my Dad to get HBO and I was going to watch everything they showed, even if it meant watching Checkered Flag or Crash every day! This was long before HBO original content and they had maybe a couple of dozen movies that wouldn't change until the next month, with some movies carrying over for another month. The even had a documentary about the how they made the pre-CGI rotating HBO logo. That was actually really interesting.

Last edited by lingyi; 05-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
The only movies I've repeated to unhealthy levels is Star Wars. I couldn't even tell you how many times. It's basically my religion. Sadly, I'm sure there are many people that have seen them many more times than me.
I'm tied with those who've seen it 0 times!

Last edited by lingyi; 05-09-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

The original Blues Brothers movie. That's one that never gets old, and I've seen it at least once a month since I got the DVD when it first came out.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Could be Spaced Invaders for me. I loved that flick and I saw it many, many times in the 90s. I am pretty sure that few other people have seen it.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:42 PM

I watch The Goonies, uh, frequently. I throw on the BluRay at least once a month, usually more. In the last few months I've been playing on an old VHS tape on a TV/VCR combo we pulled out of storage and set up next to our video game setup. Even more frequent now.

Yes, I have it all memorized. No, I don't know how many times I've seen it, 150, 200? Maybe. Sometimes it's just on in the background while I clean, cook, or wrap presents. Sometimes I don't finish, sometimes I start it randomly somewhere in the middle like I caught it on TV.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Back in the mid-80s, I think I saw "Streets of Fire" pretty much every time it came on (either Showtime or HBO, I don't remember which). Cheesy dialogue and iffy acting, but I loved that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
I've seen "Miller's Crossing" more times than I can count.
However, I can count on one hand the amount of people I've talked to about movies who has ever heard of the film.
I'll concede the number of times watched title to you, but this is my favorite movie. I tried to make "You'se fancy-pants, the lot of ya" a part of my vocabulary, but it's a hard phrase to work into a conversation. I have had a little more success with "Maybes don't make it so" and "Ain't it the life, though".
Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Way back when, one of the Starz channels ran the same 4 films over and over everyday in the same time slots for a week. One of the movies they like to cycle was 10 Things I Hate About You.

Sometimes I'd leave the TV on this channel just for background. So I've "seen" that movie a remarkable number of times. Larry Miller as the dad makes all the difference, I tell you.

Larisa Oleynik was quite good in this. But practically the only thing I've seen her in since is a batch of Mad Men episodes as Cynthia Cosgrove. (She could have married someone better. But then you could say that about nearly all the women on that show.)

OTOH, there have to be die-hard Heath Ledger fans that have really watched it a ton.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

According to an article in Slate, Tom Hanks has seen 2001: A Space Odyssey more than 200 times. I wonder how many times he's watched his second-favorite movie?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
The Beastmaster
I will fight anyone who claims to have seen Beastmaster more times than I have! (Another movie I haven't watched in 30 years because I'm quite certain that it's terrible.)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I bet I've seen The Adventures of Ford Fairlane more than anyone else.
I'll take that bet. I watch it a few times a year now but in the 90s (when I was single and had nobody to answer to) I watched it a couple times a month.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
I'll take that bet. I watch it a few times a year now but in the 90s (when I was single and had nobody to answer to) I watched it a couple times a month.
I don't know. Had it on VHS. My friends and I watched near daily for 2 years while stationed in Germany.

"So many assholes, so little bullets"
Old 05-12-2019, 12:43 AM

I have seen planet of the apes many many times over the years.
I am talking about the Charlatan Heston version.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Probably not a world record, but I've seen the underappreciated Top Secret! (a lesser known effort from the makers of Airplane!) at least 25 times.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic_man View Post
I have seen planet of the apes many many times over the years.
I am talking about the Charlatan Heston version.
Oh, the fake version! With the lower-case primates.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I'm sure I haven't watched it more than anyone alive, but I've seen the original King Kong a hell of a lot of times. In New York in the 1950s Million Dollar Movie used to show the same old movie every weeknight for a week, and three or four times back to back on Saturday and Sunday starting early in the day. Whenever King Kong was on, I would try to see it as many times as possible during the week and weekend.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:34 PM

I had to give this some serious thought. I just might make a case for The Mothman Prophecies (2002), but only because it was crummy and not many people watched it at all. (It does appear that it grossed about $55M worldwide, but I find that shocking to contemplate.)

Anyway, it was on HBO and so my wife and I sort of ended up seeing it a couple times by accident. Then we went on a 10-day cruise where it was one of only a few movies in rotation on the shipboard channel. After we got back, it just sort of popped up all over the place and it reached the point that we would deliberate turn off the TV to get away from it. So, all told, I've seen it probably 25 or 30 times. And it has sucked every single time.

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 05-12-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 PM

I've seen Silverado at least 120 times and probably closer to 200 I still watch it 4 times per year. I've named my dog after the movie.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:22 PM

As a young teen in the 80s, I had a HUGE crush on Lea Thompson. I know I'm not the only one, and while I've watched the Back to the Future movies dozens of times, I know others have seen them more. Likewise Red Dawn, All the Right Moves, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc.

But SpaceCamp... I might be in the running for that one. It helped that not only was I in love with Lea Thompson, but I was also really interested in astronauts and the space program. I saw SpaceCamp in the theater at least three times, then when it started showing on HBO multiple times a week I would watch it every chance I got. Eventually recorded it on VHS and proceeded to wear out the tape. Bought the DVD years ago and have watched it dozens of times. I know it's not a very good movie, but it's 'comfort food.' Takes me right back to those more carefree days.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
I've seen "Miller's Crossing" more times than I can count.
As have I, Iím guessing around 50. Also high on my list is Caddyshack and Mad Max.

Surprisingly, I wore out a VHS copy of The Gong Show movie. Seen it around 70-100 times.

But the granddaddy is Collateral. Iíve seen it over 200 times.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 AM

When I was in high school I would watch one act of the Woodstock movie every morning while getting ready for school. I don't know how many times I've seen it but it has to be a lot.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I will fight anyone who claims to have seen Beastmaster more times than I have! (Another movie I haven't watched in 30 years because I'm quite certain that it's terrible.)
As I said, I only watched it because my son from the age of 3 - 6 watched it at least daily. And you are correct it was terrible. But in a little boy's mind it was amazing! When I think back, it was probably quite inappropriate for a kid of that age! Oh well.....
Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Joe VS The Volcano - I love it, everyone else is wrong.
There's a number of Dopers who think it's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Come on, someone's got to be a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan and went to dozens or more midnight showings.
Yeah, but you'd have to have seen it hundreds of times to have seen it more than anyone. There were plenty of hardcore fans who went to the midnight showings every Saturday for years, all dressed up as characters and stuff.

I can't think of any movies I might have seen an extraordinary number of times. Duck Soup (of course) and Monkey Business, a couple dozen times each. Casablanca and Maltese Falcon, maybe a dozen times each. Ditto Monty Python and the Holy Grail. More than the average in all cases, but way less than some fans.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I've seen The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T at least four times. Granted, it's a cult favorite, but it's simply not on very often, and I don't know if it's on DVD or even videotape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Basement dungeon! Ev... ery... bo... dy... out...!

It is available on DVD, and I have it. Good film. Weird, of course, but good.
Oh definitely. I've seen it more than four times in full, and sometimes I just watch the ballet scene from the orchestra dungeon. Because it's awesome. I will say, though, that it's one of the few musicals that would be improved by taking out most of the songs (the actual songs, not the dance numbers). Some of them really drag.

I'll also add - although I doubt I'm even close to a world record here - Singin' in the Rain. If it's on television I must watch it, and I have the DVD too. "A Rose is a rose! A Nose is a nose! A Toese is a toese! Hupidubidu!"
Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM

ETA: wrong thread.

Last edited by AK84; 05-13-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not how Singin' in the Rain ends.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM

One of my housemates in college had a VHS of The Godfather and we watched it over and over. I don't get the record because he watched it more than I did.

Weird thing, there are still parts of the story I don't understand. But it's a great film anyway.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:09 PM

My sig line should be the only hint you need.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
ETA: wrong thread.
Winner!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I've seen the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie twice. That's got to be some kind of record.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM

I worked in a daycare that had two movies to watch during nap time, Cinderella and Ernest Goes to Camp. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have seen Cinderella more but I'm probably close to the top of the list for Ernest Goes to Camp.

One of my kids loved Inspector Gadget 2 as a kid, as a result I have watched it so many times.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Not for myself -- I pretty much don't "do" films -- but, a submission on behalf of a one-time friend of mine (we lost touch with each other many years ago).

I knew this guy via a shared interest of ours -- in railways; but he was, also, probably the most all-consumingly dedicated film / movie buff, with whom I've ever been acquainted. At times for him, the two passions coincided. There's a rather charming British film, first shown 1953: one of the Ealing comedies, directed by Charles Crichton -- The Titfield Thunderbolt. It concerns an English rural branch railway line, condemned by a heartless nationalised bureaucracy, to be closed down, because it is losing money; and the local inhabitants taking the alternative initiative of running the line themselves, and the sundry capers which ensue. It's a delightful thing: I've seen it probably five or six times -- but quite frankly, if I never see it again in my life, that won't greatly bother me.

However; Bob, my friend-as-was: when I knew him, we were in our mid-forties -- I remember him saying that as at then, he had seen The Titfield Thuderbolt 32 times; and hoped to do so many times further. Trying to do the maths, with much guessing -- with him, like myself, now being aged approx. seventy: I see him having by now (if he's still with us) seen the classic film about the "Thunderbolt" and attendant carryings-on, at least 60 times -- and hoping to do so a fair few more times, before he shuffles off this mortal coil. As for the after-life: for sure, any such which did not involve an unlimited supply of films throughout eternity (including all those cinematic wonders which might have been made on this Earth, but for whatever reason weren't) -- would, for Bob, be not worth having.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
One of my housemates in college had a VHS of The Godfather and we watched it over and over. I don't get the record because he watched it more than I did.

Weird thing, there are still parts of the story I don't understand. But it's a great film anyway.
Start a thread!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:42 PM

I've probably seen each of these movies about 4-6 times

5,000 fingers of Dr. T
Fantastic Planet
Dark star
Allegro non Troppo

and probably 8-9 times for the Muppet movie.

But most of those are standard cult classics.

For obscurity I would have to go with

"The Curious Adventures of Mr. Wonderbird"

Which the missus got at on DVD at a dollar store shortly after we got married. The nice combination of good animation, and sweet romance made it our theme movie. I've probably watched it 5-6 times over the years. Alas her hearing isn't so good these days and there is no closed captioning on the DVD so its been a while.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I've seen the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie twice. That's got to be some kind of record.

Nah, I saw that several times back when it started running on HBO or a similar station in the 80's, and also the TV edit a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
As a young teen in the 80s, I had a HUGE crush on Lea Thompson. I know I'm not the only one, and while I've watched the Back to the Future movies dozens of times, I know others have seen them more. Likewise Red Dawn, All the Right Moves, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc.

But SpaceCamp... I might be in the running for that one. It helped that not only was I in love with Lea Thompson, but I was also really interested in astronauts and the space program. I saw SpaceCamp in the theater at least three times, then when it started showing on HBO multiple times a week I would watch it every chance I got. Eventually recorded it on VHS and proceeded to wear out the tape. Bought the DVD years ago and have watched it dozens of times. I know it's not a very good movie, but it's 'comfort food.' Takes me right back to those more carefree days.
How about Howard the Duck? I've seen that Lea Thompson movie 4-5 times at least.

Of course the movies I've seen most I have no chance believing some nerd out there hasn't seen them more. Maybe I watched Star Wars so much one summer that I could practically recite the entire thing word for word, but you know there's someone who's seen it more. Ditto Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. And to lesser extents Terminator 2 and Romero's Dawn of the Dead (which I watch at least every Halloween ever since getting the DVD set).
Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
How about Howard the Duck? I've seen that Lea Thompson movie 4-5 times at least.
I've only watched that one all the way through twice. But I did rewind the scene with Lea in her undies... several times.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:36 AM

My favourite movie, Mike Leigh's "Nuts In May", I've seen 25-30 times.
I know all of Keith's lines, and how he says them.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I've probably seen each of these movies about 4-6 times

5,000 fingers of Dr. T
Fantastic Planet
Dark star
Allegro non Troppo.
Aw, man, I love "Allegro non Troppo". I'm not sure I could watch "Fantastic Planet" more than a few times without a lot of alcohol or other mind-altering substances though.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 AM

I doubt if I've watched these movies more than anybody, butb I've probably seen them more often than most on this Board:

I think WPIX's Chiller Theater must have owned these awful low-budget films, because they showed them so often. Several were shown in the original opening montage (that preceded the six-fingered animated hand opening):

The Cape Canaveral Monsters
The Curse of the Faceless Man
Voodoo Island
(with Boris Karloff!)
The Ape Man (with Bela Lugosi!)
Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman
The Cyclops
The Neanderthal Man
The Monster of Piedras Blancas
Plan Nine from Outer Space
Bride of the Monster
the Black Sleep
(the last three with Lugosi, again)

On other NY Indie stations I watched, over and over:

The Monster that Challenged the World
Carnival of Souls
The Manster
The Giant Behemoth
Giant from the Unknown
Terror from the Year 5000
Beyond the Time Barrier
World Without End
Queen of Outer Space
The Amazing Transparent Man
Monster on the Campus
Invasion of the Saucer Men

Last edited by CalMeacham; 05-17-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:00 AM

I was one of those kids who would obsessively watch a small rotation of favorite movies over and over again ad nauseam. I'm fairly certain that I pretty much spent the 80s curled up in front of the Betamax as even when I was an older child I had scant memories of my first few years in terms of my actual life but always had tons of vivid memories of the entirety, or near entirety, of the movies that I obsessively watched in those early years.

I'm a pretty good contender for Most Obsessive Viewer of D.A.R.Y.L. (1985) and Flight of the Navigator (1986) but for something more obscure, I'd say no one else would ever have watched C.H.O.M.P.S. (1979) or Sammy's Super T-Shirt (1978) more than me. As I grew up, I actually forgot the title of these two but still had vivid memories of most of the films, which I was able to confirm when I finally tracked them down on DVD or Youtube and even though it had been more than 30 years since I'd seen them, they were just as I remembered them. I figure it takes a lot of repeat viewings to remember most of a film unaided for over 30 years.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM

I've seen Cutter's Way about 30 times. Have a photo from the set with jeff Bridges and John Heard, signed by Bridges to Mike (but not me personally, it was a Christmas present).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082220/

Last edited by Mike Mabes; 05-24-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

Witness, maybe 22 times, 8 or 9 in the cinema during its original run, including twice in French

Gimme Shelter, maybe 17 times, all on VHS or DVD, except once in a cinema revival

Last edited by JKellyMap; Yesterday at 06:19 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ice Pirates-about 25 times
Brain Donors-about 40 times
Brainsmasher-A Love Story-about 30 times