Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM

What is the strangest thing you ever found in your freezer?

We're currently in SCal staying at The Daughter's home, where also dwells COTU#1 & COTU#2. I am taking a WAG and say the source of the freezer contents in question were contributed by COTU#2.

A wadded up pair of dirty socks.

What have YOU found?

~VOW

(Grandchildren are given the nomenclature "COTU," which stands for Center of the Universe)
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Not necessarily strange, but OLD. When my dad passed away three years ago, all ten of us kids were going through the garage in preparation for selling the house. Inside the freezer we found a large package of Otter Pops (like popsicles, but in a plastic pouch instead of on a stick) that must have been thirty years old.

Some of my brothers and I each had one. They weren't very good.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Coworker says he found a dead cat in a customer's freezer. The cat was a family pet that had been hit by a car right before the move and was being preserved for burial at the new residence.

I've never found anything strange myself

Last edited by DorkVader; 05-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I have a yearly kids party and the past few years I've been hiring an ice cream truck to come by and give the kids ice cream treats. I pay in advance and the kids get their treats for free. Usually there's enough left over in the "pot" that kids can get a second treat if they want.

I think some of the kids have eyes bigger than their stomachs because this year I found a couple open, half-eaten ice cream treats in my freezer. But since I rarely go in my freezer I didn't find them until winter and I was super confused as to what they were and how they got there. Took me a few minutes to realize what had happened.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Well, there was the bat, but I put that in there myself. I had to freeze it and send it in to be tested for rabies because the cat tore a hole in its wing.

My parents found the car keys in there once. Not enough hands while unloading groceries was their excuse.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

It wasn't MY refrigerator, exactly, but the refrigerator left behind when the jerk I bought my house from decided to short-term rent the house while escrow closed. Like they were going to leave when asked. At least there wasn't any damage, just annoyances.

They left behind a refrigerator that didn't work. If you plugged it in, it warmed slightly and stank. In the warm freezer section was a naked plastic baby doll with 666 penned onto its forehead. I was glad to learn the the guy delivering my new refrigerator would take away the junker for free. The baby doll went into the trash.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM

A cardinal bird. My kids found it and decided it would be cool to freeze it.(they swore it was dead before they froze it)
I have lost and found keys and phones and once a book
I was reading in the freezer. Now family lore is 'look in the freezer if its lost'.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-08-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Not necessarily strange, but OLD. When my dad passed away three years ago, all ten of us kids were going through the garage in preparation for selling the house. Inside the freezer we found a large package of Otter Pops (like popsicles, but in a plastic pouch instead of on a stick) that must have been thirty years old.

Some of my brothers and I each had one. They weren't very good.
Huh, they otter been fine...

I can't think of anything odd I have found in a freezer. Ancient, certainly, when we cleaned out grandparent's freezers after they passed on but 10 year old meat isn't so much odd as it is...a discussion starter.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have lost and found keys and phones and once a book I was reading in the freezer. Now family lore is 'look in the freezer if its lost'.
I've learned to expect some strange posts from you :-) But why were you reading a book in the freezer?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I've learned to expect some strange posts from you :-) But why were you reading a book in the freezer?
Because the elephant was in her pajamas of course.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 PM

A 100 Kg Pacific White sided Dolphin.

We were keeping it for a local marine lab that had run out of freezer space. I kept the ice cube tray on the top of it's head. Was great fun to send guests to get more ice.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Found implies that you didn't know it was there however, I do know I have plastic cups of coreopsis blooms, queen Anne's lace blooms and a bag of carrot tops. (Natural dyes)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Apparently this is not especially odd, but I'd never encountered it before: when we bought our house, there were a ton of batteries in the freezer. Apparently, freezing them helps them last longer?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
There have been days in my life I would've enjoyed reading in the freezer.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
And here I was all excited to swoop in with "a 25kg harbor seal! BAM! Mic drop!"

Sigh.

I'll just go. 😉

(Still true...)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 PM

My daughter swears that if you dig deeply enough in our freezer you will find Jimmy Hoffa's body. I don't know about that, but we recently unearthed a 5 kg turkey that had a 2016 date on it. We roasted it and ate it. It was delicious. Now the soup I made from the bones is filling the freezer. We will be moving into an apartment too small for a freezer in mid-July so we have to empty it soon.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 AM

My brother used to keep all kinds of critters in the freezer for future taxidermy projects.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:53 AM

i mentally and physically challenged friend of my moms had meat in her freezer for so long that it turned green while frozen .......apparently shed buy tons of food and be so stingy shed never use it .....
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 AM

My freezers have always been well-behaved, thank you, but Mom's has hosted her glasses, a comb belonging to my niece (the kind you leave in your hair as decoration) and several knives (at different times). One time that she was musing about buying one of the large freezers we chorused "hell no!" on account of the risk that it might end up containing her; simply the fact that all four* of her children thought "oh hell, no, knowing her she'll manage to fall in" already tells you that it wasn't just our feverish imagination: it could in fact have happened.

* one daughter, two sons and one daughter in law.

Last edited by Nava; 05-09-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 AM

All four of my maternal uncles were bakers, as was my grandfather. Each High Holy Day my youngest uncle had brought my mother a honey cake. Being diabetic, she just stashed each one in the back of the freezer. After she passed, I was cleaning out the freezer, and discovered 9 honey cakes.

Don't ask about her spices.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Three dead bats, in a zip lock bag.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 AM

A big blue penis. I later learned that it was an ice-mold and the resulting ice penis was for a party punch bowl.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Another vote for car keys. I had lost them about a week earlier, and finally had (painfully) re-duplicated the set. How did I put them in the freezer?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

We were keeping it for a local marine lab that had run out of freezer space. I kept the ice cube tray on the top of it's head. Was great fun to send guests to get more ice.
I think this wins the thread. Especially since you got fun out of it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Before self defrosting freezers were a thing, my mom accused everyone in the house of stealing her hair dryer. Each one of us were interrogated, cross examined and threatened within an inch of our lives. Dad ended up finding it in the freezer and suddenly mom remembered that she was trying to defrost the freezer and the phone rang. I never understood how she could have unplugged it, wrapped up the cord and set it in the freezer without realizing it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

A dirty diaper. My then 3 year old grand daughter was asked to take her brothers soiled diaper and put it in the trash in the garage to avoid stinking up the house. She apparently thought the small chest freezer in the garage would be a good place for it. The good part was frozen dirty diapers don't stink.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

It's not odd because we do it on purpose, but we keep documents like passports and such in the outside chest freezer. Supposedly they are safer from fires there because of the insulation. (The passports don't expire any slower, unfortunately).

My father kept the cash box for his business in the freezer to hide it from burglars. When my then-girlfriend/currently-wife had her apartment robbed, all they stole was a can of frozen orange juice. The cops said lots of people keep jewelry there. (She didn't).

Regards,
Shodan
Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 PM

We have a second freezer in the garage, and my wife once sent me out to get a chicken. I opened the door, and screamed slightly…front and center, at my height and facing me, was a pig’s head.

Next to it were four trotters.

Turns out we went in shares on a pig, and my wife was the only one who knew what to do with the odd bits.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 PM

While the dolphin was a top contender, I gotta say the poopy diaper for the win!

~VOW
Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 PM

Well...I put them there. Other people found them.
(1) A dead bat,* which my cat caught and brought into the house. I called somebody official to see if I could find out if this bat had rabies. They said to put it in the refrigerator until somebody could come and get it, but I didn't like the idea of a dead bat in my refrigerator. For some reason putting it in the freezer seemed better. Although the people who eventually showed up to take it and test it didn't think it was better.
(2) A pair of wool socks. After a hard day on my feet I ilked to put said feet into a cold, cold pair of socks. My husband thought I'd lost my mind, until I explained.
(3) "You wouldn't believe how big those hailstones were. Look, I've saved one."

A friend of mine used to keep her credit card frozen in an ice tray, so if she wanted to use it, she had to let it thaw out first, giving her time to think if she really, really wanted to use that credit card. Frozen assets!

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 05-09-2019 at 11:12 PM. Reason: *I see I'm not the only one who keeps dead bats there
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergency911 View Post
Before self defrosting freezers were a thing, my mom accused everyone in the house of stealing her hair dryer. Each one of us were interrogated, cross examined and threatened within an inch of our lives. Dad ended up finding it in the freezer and suddenly mom remembered that she was trying to defrost the freezer and the phone rang. I never understood how she could have unplugged it, wrapped up the cord and set it in the freezer without realizing it.
That’s easy. The hair dryer was in a stowed condition when she went to fetch it. She brought it to the freezer and opened the door when the phone rang, which was when she set it down inside, closed the door, and commenced to have a conversation that was a lot more interesting than the chore she was putting off.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Not my freezer, but the one in the kitchen at my office. A dead badger. Scooped up from the road by a revolting ex-colleague on her way into work that morning. She intended to take it home and cook it and thought that stashing it in the freezer all day would be the socially acceptable thing to do.
IT STANK!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 AM

I married to an Asian. I gave up trying to decide what was in our fridge or freezer years ago.

(That's the food in the freezer, dammit. Not my wife.)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

A vial of Motown record producer Barry Gordy's blood.

What do I win?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Kitten. The kids were playing hide and seek with them and this one didn't get found, not in time anyways, it was solid as a rock. I took it out to bury it and got distracted. Came back to find them waving a hair drier at it while giving it CPR.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Coworker says he found a dead cat in a customer's freezer. The cat was a family pet that had been hit by a car right before the move and was being preserved for burial at the new residence.

For several months I had my neighbour's cat in my freezer. Said feline was put down over the winter and buried when the ground thawed.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post

We have on two separate occasions had dead guinea pigs in the freezer.

1) died suddenly in January. Ground too frozen solid to dig a grave in the backyard. Kids would not hear of a more pragmatic "Tuesday is trash day" approach.

2) Died suddenly a few hours after we left town for a 5 day weekend. Neighbor's daughter was petsitting and we got an email from her mom saying "guinea pig in cage, eyes open, not moving". Poor kiddo!!! I had to ask the mother to go and put the departed piggy in a bag in the freezer... as coming home to a 5-day-dead pet would NOT have been good.

Of course in both cases, it wasn't so much "finding" as "knowing it was there".
Old 05-13-2019, 05:27 PM

My husband is an entomologist, ive found so many weird and wonderful stuff in the fridge and freezer.

Last edited by Teddie; 05-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Apparently this is not especially odd, but I'd never encountered it before: when we bought our house, there were a ton of batteries in the freezer. Apparently, freezing them helps them last longer?
Cecil and Ray-O-Vac say it's mostly an urban legend and not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
My husband is an entomologist, ive found so many weird and wonderful stuff in the fridge and freezer.
Doesn't that bug you?

Last edited by Musicat; 05-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM

My car keys, wallet, and glasses.
My children had just learned about pulling pranks.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Severed toe.

Just kidding.
SPOILER:
It was a penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
A vial of Motown record producer Barry Gordy's blood.

What do I win?
A somewhat larger vial of Motown record producer Barry Gordy's blood.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM

A human foot.

Turned out to be a candy human foot--it was Halloweentime, after all--but it was quite the shocker. Protip: don't eat the bones. They're edible and are supposedly candy, too, but they taste more like ass than foot.

I left a wide-eyed trout in my mom's freezer when I went away to college. She never mentioned it, but it was gone when I came home for the holidays.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 PM

A plastic bag with six or seven sheep's heads, skinned, but otherwise complete. Rhiannon8404 knew someone who had a sheep farm; they raised them for wool, but would eventually butcher the sheep when they could no longer produce, and sell the meat. We bought it primarily for dog food, and since most people didn't want the heads, we would get a bunch of them thrown in for free. The dogs love them.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming this was a large chest freezer?

"I'm keeping it for a friend, really!"

Not my house, but at the grocery store pharmacy. One Sunday, I decided to defrost our dorm-sized fridge where we stored our insulin and other cold-storage meds, so I brought in a cooler, some towels, and my hair dryer and unplugged the fridge because the freezer had condensation so thick, we couldn't store anything in the freezer.

So anyway, as the ice melted and I peeled chunks of it off the metal surface, I found several foil-wrapped chocolate Easter candies of unknown vintage, and several other things I couldn't identify and therefore discarded.

p.s. Were (are?) Otter Pops in clear plastic, and melted rapidly? If they were, my grandmother always had those on hand. They were colored sugar water, and so messy.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 05-15-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Well...I put them there. Other people found them.
(1) A dead bat,* which my cat caught and brought into the house. I called somebody official to see if I could find out if this bat had rabies. They said to put it in the refrigerator until somebody could come and get it, but I didn't like the idea of a dead bat in my refrigerator. For some reason putting it in the freezer seemed better. Although the people who eventually showed up to take it and test it didn't think it was better.
(2) A pair of wool socks. After a hard day on my feet I ilked to put said feet into a cold, cold pair of socks. My husband thought I'd lost my mind, until I explained.
(3) "You wouldn't believe how big those hailstones were. Look, I've saved one."

A friend of mine used to keep her credit card frozen in an ice tray, so if she wanted to use it, she had to let it thaw out first, giving her time to think if she really, really wanted to use that credit card. Frozen assets!
When I was in college, I lived in an un-air-conditioned apartment and sometimes put my clothes in the freezer before getting dressed, just to have a few minutes' respite from the heat.

.....which reminded me of the old slumber party prank of soaking a bra in water and freezing it if a girl fell asleep.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 05-15-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM

I don't think this of this as strange: paint brushes.

When I'm painting with water based materials I wrap up the still loaded brush(es) with plastic wrap and stick them in the freezer until the next day. No need to clean them. I've never noticed a smell or flavor contamination. Remember to take them out before use to thaw. It's my understanding that this is a common painters trick. As Fred Dryer used to say "Works for me."

P.S. When I finish the paint job the brushes finally get cleaned and stored in their proper place.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
There have been days in my life I would've enjoyed reading in the freezer.
May I direct you to the menopause thread?
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=836549

Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Small boxes of baking soda. So weird. Every time I find one in there I put it back in the cupboard where it belongs. You can't bake with frozen baking soda.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Fridge Freezer Package