Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #951  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:30 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 36,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Justin Guarini as "Li'l Sweet" in the Diet Dr Pepper commercial really annoys me with his falsetto.

https://youtu.be/_IuJCFg54j4

I'm sure Guarini is a very talented singer who can carry a commercial as himself without playing an annoying gimmicky character.
He asked to be given a small part. Sometimes, it's a good idea to be specific.
  #952  
Old 04-30-2019, 10:05 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Danny DeVito does a series of commercials for QuickBooks, and while the commercials don't bother me, what the hell is up with DeVito's eyeglasses? They're GREEN!

https://a0bbf22d7d66006fc0a3-bfb10c3...e778cef_tn.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Purely speculation of course, but perhaps that was meant as a subtle reference to the green eyeshades that accountants wore in previous decades?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I think they're supposed to be Quickbooks green, like their logo.
Or, it could be his personal style choice. I've spotted Al Roker on the Today Show sporting a pair of periwinkle blue glasses.

https://media11.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNB...428;7;70;5.jpg
  #953  
Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,958
There's a new commercial where some guy with a gravely voice borrowed from a Viagra commercial intones "Being an SUV used to mean something. It used to be the car that could go offroad. The car for *real* men with oily crud under their fingernails." And so on...

Let's get this straight. SUV's never have meant "capable off-road vehicle". They started out as, and have always been, grossly oversized vehicles on light truck bodies for the sole purpose of avoiding fleet mileage regulations. And they were designed expressly for soccer moms and dads that didn't want to drive a mini-van and who wanted to fantasize about living adventurous lives while staying largely on paved roads close to home. And anyone who relies on their vehicle to prove that they're an all-American manly man has serious image problems.


And, in an unrelated note, I'm with a hair's breadth of ditching my Liberty Mutual home insurance based on not just one commercial but their entire body of creative work. Apparently that additional 100 bucks they tack on to my bill every year is going straight towards annoying advertisements.
  #954  
Old 04-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
And, in an unrelated note, I'm with a hair's breadth of ditching my Liberty Mutual home insurance based on not just one commercial but their entire body of creative work. Apparently that additional 100 bucks they tack on to my bill every year is going straight towards annoying advertisements.
I kinda like Limu the Emu. But their stupid jingle ("Liberty Liberty Liberty...Liberty!") makes me want to strangle puppies.

(Not really. The puppies didn't do anything to deserve that. But maybe strangle CGI emus.)

I don't know what it is with completely inane jingles these days (another example: "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace!" sung by a herd of tuneless children).

I guess maybe they're memorable, but not in a good way.
  #955  
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Finagle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere near Boston
Posts: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I kinda like Limu the Emu. But their stupid jingle ("Liberty Liberty Liberty...Liberty!") makes me want to strangle puppies.

(Not really. The puppies didn't do anything to deserve that. But maybe strangle CGI emus.)

I don't know what it is with completely inane jingles these days (another example: "Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace!" sung by a herd of tuneless children).

I guess maybe they're memorable, but not in a good way.
Yeah, Sabra hummous has a jingle that rates pretty high on the list of crimes against humanity.
  #956  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I kinda like Limu the Emu. But their stupid jingle ("Liberty Liberty Liberty...Liberty!") makes me want to strangle puppies.
Who is their target audience? Because the whole campaign is a spot-on parody (homage?) to 70s cop shows. Which most people under 40 have never seen, let alone might be nostalgic about. And being reminded of Starsky and Hutch doesn't make me want to switch insurance companies.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 05-01-2019 at 12:33 PM.
  #957  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:11 PM
UndisputedKingofNothing is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
The new Facebook Portal commercial is awful and perplexing. That human embodiment of smug talking to his mom and other "famous moms" is just confusing. The kid isn't cute, Doogie isn't funny or charming, and the moms are... moms. Dumb
  #958  
Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Just Asking Questions is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedKingofNothing View Post
The new Facebook Portal commercial is awful and perplexing. That human embodiment of smug talking to his mom and other "famous moms" is just confusing. The kid isn't cute, Doogie isn't funny or charming, and the moms are... moms. Dumb
But ... Portal! It follows you around! It lets you see everybody all the time! It solves ALL the problems you didn't even know you had!

Why, when I was NPH's age, and called my mom, I just had to use an old phone. I never got to see her. She never got to pass judgement on my weight. And my life was so empty because of it!

Or, like you said, dumb.
  #959  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:39 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I kinda like Limu the Emu. But their stupid jingle ("Liberty Liberty Liberty...Liberty!") makes me want to strangle puppies.
Limu reminds me of this much funnier emu.
  #960  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,479
I'm not really annoyed by the Liberty Mutual jingle. It's not bagpipes or chalkboard scratches.

So the hotel is having it's ad campaign. "Here we see an ordinary couple, and they are surrounded by a glow, and that will make the viewers think maybe I'll glow." "Who glows? Just say 'Ba da book, ba da boom.'"

Wait, is that our only two options?
  #961  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Hampshire is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 10,939
Maybe I'm the only one but I'm getting overly annoyed by the voice of H. Jon Benjamin in those Arby's commercials. That overly deep nasal sound like somebody with a head cold.
  #962  
Old 05-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Zyada is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Foat Wuth!
Posts: 5,066
My latest annoying commercial was one that started with

"Let's talk about gas...
said no one ever"

First of all, this was written by marketdroids, and yes, you did sit around and say "Let's talk about gas"

And secondly, that phrase usually implies that someone would really, really not want to say that. Like "Let's talk about throwing a party for celebrating that you have cancer". Not "Let's talk about something that people really do talk about all the time"
  #963  
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,506
The latest Comcast commercial features a treacly, acoustic coffeehouse cover of "I Got You Babe" that makes me want to slit my wrists.
Oh, but it gets worse. A few seconds in, there's a crying baby sound effect that causes my entire body to clench. Fortunately, I've gotten quite good at finding the mute button right around "They say we're young and we don't -"
  #964  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Paintcharge's Avatar
Paintcharge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 10 sq miles of reality
Posts: 2,084
Two are bugging me now.

I think it's Acura with an old sounding guy singing "sympathy for the Devil" yelling"what's my name". Sounds like Abe Simpson not knowing who he is.

And some annoying dude who makes robots shilling for Microsoft. He just comes across as a smug dick.
  #965  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Clark Cello is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
There's a new commercial where some guy with a gravely voice borrowed from a Viagra commercial intones "Being an SUV used to mean something. It used to be the car that could go offroad. The car for *real* men with oily crud under their fingernails." And so on...

Let's get this straight. SUV's never have meant "capable off-road vehicle". They started out as, and have always been, grossly oversized vehicles on light truck bodies for the sole purpose of avoiding fleet mileage regulations. And they were designed expressly for soccer moms and dads that didn't want to drive a mini-van and who wanted to fantasize about living adventurous lives while staying largely on paved roads close to home. And anyone who relies on their vehicle to prove that they're an all-American manly man has serious image problems.


And, in an unrelated note, I'm with a hair's breadth of ditching my Liberty Mutual home insurance based on not just one commercial but their entire body of creative work. Apparently that additional 100 bucks they tack on to my bill every year is going straight towards annoying advertisements.
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the average SUV buyer, I would disagree about the origins of the SUV. The early SUVs, like Cherokees and Range Rovers, were built as off-road capable vehicles.
  #966  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:13 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Two are bugging me now.

I think it's Acura with an old sounding guy singing "sympathy for the Devil" yelling"what's my name". Sounds like Abe Simpson not knowing who he is.

And some annoying dude who makes robots shilling for Microsoft. He just comes across as a smug dick.
.....
that's Lemmy killmeister (RIP) of the heavy metal group Motorhead singing their version of it ....
  #967  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:20 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,127
missed the edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmy
  #968  
Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Cello View Post
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the average SUV buyer, I would disagree about the origins of the SUV. The early SUVs, like Cherokees and Range Rovers, were built as off-road capable vehicles.
One could argue that the very first SUV was the Jeep Station Wagon.
  #969  
Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 31,428
If Liberty Mutual had to ape Geico by running ads with a "cute" spokes-animal, couldn't they have made a better choice than an emu, seeing how nasty large flightless birds can be?

At least they aren't featuring a LiMu cassowary.

Still muting all their ads as fast as I can, before the inevitable "Liberty Liberty Li-berty! We're aa-ss-holes!!!"
  #970  
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Mr. Miskatonic's Avatar
Mr. Miskatonic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Under a pile of books
Posts: 6,670
Humans have fought a was against the Emu. We lost.
__________________
"When you kill the Morlocks, the Eloi tend to die too"
  #971  
Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Cello View Post
While I don't disagree with your assessment of the average SUV buyer, I would disagree about the origins of the SUV. The early SUVs, like Cherokees and Range Rovers, were built as off-road capable vehicles.
According to Merriam Webster, the term "Sport Utility Vehicle" was used in 1969, but the term "SUV" has as earliest use in 1986.

It is true that during the '80s, vehicles in the SUV class were classified as light trucks for CAFE standards. It is also true that SUV sales took off as an alternative to mini-vans.

However, the earliest vehicles in the SUV class were actually light trucks with off-road capability (4x4). Such as the aforementioned Willys Jeep station wagon, International Harvestor scout, Land Rover, and the Dodge Ramcharger, Ford Bronco, and Chevy Blazer.

So the commercial is essentially right - the origins of the SUV were vehicles with off-road capability for sport and utility usage.
  #972  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,013
Did I see a commercial for Perdue chicken that was selling raw cut up cubes of chicken breast??? 'you'll never need your cutting board again'???

So m'lady won't have to sully her manicure or something? How effing lazy do you have to BE??? I can kind of see cut up fruits and vegetables - but a chicken breast?

Last edited by salinqmind; 05-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
  #973  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Did I see a commercial for Perdue chicken that was selling raw cut up cubes of chicken breast??? 'you'll never need your cutting board again'???

So m'lady won't have to sully her manicure or something? How effing lazy do you have to BE??? I can kind of see cut up fruits and vegetables - but a chicken breast?
In the USA, unfortunately, chicken-selling companies are legally permitted to sell a product that will make most people sick if it isn't handled with great care. Cutting up a chicken---even one from the 'best' companies---requires fairly elaborate precautions: use of gloves that must be sterilized or discarded after touching the raw chicken, and bleach or similarly-strong disinfectants for the cutting board, knife, bowl, etc.

So a package of pre-cut-up chicken means you don't have to have all that---you can just open the package and dump the cubes into your stew or frying pan or whatever.

The appeal of this product comes solely from the lax USDA regulations on chicken-meat sellers. And of course lax regulations mean greater profits for those sellers.


ETA: what makes the chicken dangerous is mainly salmonella:

Quote:
Last week, for the first time, the U.S. Department of Agriculture published the names of companies that produce chicken parts as well as their rankings on salmonella safety standards. The various producers earned a wide range of ranks -
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...monella-safety

Last edited by Sherrerd; 05-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.
  #974  
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
There's a commercial for Stanley Steemer that has a kid spitting out his smoothie all over the carpet. I won't link to it because it's pretty gross, but here's the description:

Quote:
When his friend performs a funny dance after winning his video game, a young boy is so stunned that he spits out his smoothie all over the carpet. The girl sitting with them proceeds to hide the spill under a foot rest. Gross! Luckily, Stanley Steemer wants to help this home get back to clean with its $99 Cleaning Special.
  #975  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:03 PM
salinqmind is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Liverpool NY USA
Posts: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
In the USA, unfortunately, chicken-selling companies are legally permitted to sell a product that will make most people sick if it isn't handled with great care. Cutting up a chicken---even one from the 'best' companies---requires fairly elaborate precautions: use of gloves that must be sterilized or discarded after touching the raw chicken, and bleach or similarly-strong disinfectants for the cutting board, knife, bowl, etc.

So a package of pre-cut-up chicken means you don't have to have all that---you can just open the package and dump the cubes into your stew or frying pan or whatever.

The appeal of this product comes solely from the lax USDA regulations on chicken-meat sellers. And of course lax regulations mean greater profits for those sellers.


ETA: what makes the chicken dangerous is mainly salmonella:


https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/f...monella-safety
Ah! "Lax USDA regulations" - that speaks volumes. It will no doubt get worse, not only chicken but with other foods: buyers beware, no gumment is going to be looking out for your health and safety, you're on your own. Here is a token from the chicken people.! ... Even clueless Mr. Salinqmind told me it is recommended home cooks now NOT wash packaged chicken in the sink.
  #976  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:35 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Another one that annoys me because it's sort of misleading. It's a new one for that Clear TV over-the-air antenna, except now they advertise that it will pick up broadcasts in 4K. Yeah, but technically, any antenna is capable of picking up 4K, and there are currently no channels even broadcasting 4K over the air. There may be some time in the future, but then, you won't need a special antenna for 4K. But the commercial seems to imply if you buy the antenna you can watch 4K now.
  #977  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Ah! "Lax USDA regulations" - that speaks volumes. It will no doubt get worse, not only chicken but with other foods: buyers beware, no gumment is going to be looking out for your health and safety, you're on your own. Here is a token from the chicken people.! ... Even clueless Mr. Salinqmind told me it is recommended home cooks now NOT wash packaged chicken in the sink.
Yes, we're sure to be seeing lots more Annoying Commercials about funeral-home services, given the brilliant decision to lessen "onerous regulations" on food-processing companies.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 05-08-2019 at 06:00 PM.
  #978  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,263
Great. Progressive now has a character worse than their jackhole box.
  #979  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,325
* little kid voice * "Let's talk about Haribo gummy bears!"


* Dung Beetle turns and punches the nearest child *


(Not really, because there are no children in my vicinity. And I also wish to say, gummy bears suck.)
  #980  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,180
Most irritating commercial can be summed up in four words: bodda book, bodda boom.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 05-13-2019 at 08:00 AM.
  #981  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Orwell is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,068
The one I'm hating right now is the new Subway commercial that has an annoying song playing at twice the volume of the 10PM news broadcast I watch. It comes on once or twice each night and I have to hit the mute button because the music is so loud and caustic. Their last couple of commercials were similarly annoying with horrible music. I guess their current ad agency thinks these ads work.
  #982  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,450
I'm perplexed by the new Chantix commercial, the "cold turkey" one. The cold turkey has some blue pills (I assume Chantix), and he takes one. Then he dumps the rest in a soup pot and tastes it and looks blissful. WTF? Is he making Chantix soup?
  #983  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
* little kid voice * "Let's talk about Haribo gummy bears!"
Let's not and say we did. :mute:
  #984  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Another one that annoys me because it's sort of misleading. It's a new one for that Clear TV over-the-air antenna, except now they advertise that it will pick up broadcasts in 4K. Yeah, but technically, any antenna is capable of picking up 4K, and there are currently no channels even broadcasting 4K over the air. There may be some time in the future, but then, you won't need a special antenna for 4K. But the commercial seems to imply if you buy the antenna you can watch 4K now.

How about the commercials that show a darkened silhouette of a "cable worker" with a disguised voice spilling the closely-held industry secret that things called "over the air broadcasts" exist?
  #985  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:34 PM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Justin Guarini as "Li'l Sweet" in the Diet Dr Pepper commercial really annoys me with his falsetto.

https://youtu.be/_IuJCFg54j4

I'm sure Guarini is a very talented singer who can carry a commercial as himself without playing an annoying gimmicky character.
Maybe, but no one wanted a Guarini starring commercial in 2002 let alone 2019. In order to get work he has to play a character. Not a knock on him, as that applies to most actors/entertainers.
  #986  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Let's get this straight. SUV's never have meant "capable off-road vehicle". They started out as, and have always been, grossly oversized vehicles on light truck bodies for the sole purpose of avoiding fleet mileage regulations. And they were designed expressly for soccer moms and dads that didn't want to drive a mini-van and who wanted to fantasize about living adventurous lives while staying largely on paved roads close to home. And anyone who relies on their vehicle to prove that they're an all-American manly man has serious image problems.
IDK. When I was a kid my dad had a Chevy Suburban, which was definitely SUV, and he took it off road (the road to our house, which was an official street and not a mere driveway was unpaved) and hauled stuff. No one had heard of soccer moms and barely any kids in the U.S. played soccer. In my town it was only kids who didn't make the football team or had overprotective parents.
  #987  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 PM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Did I see a commercial for Perdue chicken that was selling raw cut up cubes of chicken breast??? 'you'll never need your cutting board again'???

So m'lady won't have to sully her manicure or something? How effing lazy do you have to BE??? I can kind of see cut up fruits and vegetables - but a chicken breast?
It's easier to cut up fruits and vegetables and they go bad fast. You can buy precooked cut up chicken, why not raw?
  #988  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,325
Have you guys seen this nightmarish Trolli commercial? It definitely does not make me want to eat anything.
  #989  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 36,536
Obviously, you've never seen the ads for Little Baby's Ice Cream.
Spoliered to give you a second chance.

Last edited by running coach; 05-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.
  #990  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,754
I've noticed there seems to be a dramatic increase in prescription drugs whos side effects include your junk rotting off.
  #991  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Death of Rats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Barack of Obama
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Most irritating commercial can be summed up in four words: bodda book, bodda boom.
Worst. Tagline. Ever. Nothng about that makes we want to stay at thier hotel chain or tells me why I should. At least the new idea lied to me to feel like I might glow.
__________________
SQUEAK!
  #992  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Biggirl is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,661
Sometimes it's the little things that bother me so much. Like in that terrible commercial for one or another VPN where the guy is riding the subway and starts with, "Look, it's me!" and I always mentally add, "a-Mario!". He walks around the subway car acting cool while giving away his personal information, not only to the invisible hackers and stealers, but also to all the real people who obviously do not want it. Dumb, yet ignorable. But then one of the invisible hackers does a wiggly semi- modern jazz dance move and, allavasudden, I HATE the "Look it's-a Mario!" commercial with all my heart.

Should I drink some chamomile tea or see a therapist about this?

Don't get me started on that lady who says, "It's funny but I called a competing insurance company and they said no way they can beat the price." No, that's not funny. You don't know jokes, miss.
  #993  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Spoliered to give you a second chance.
[Bugs Bunny]"He don't know me very well, do he?"[/BB]


Jebus. They showed that on TV?
  #994  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Infovore is offline
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Somewhere fictional
Posts: 11,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Obviously, you've never seen the ads for Little Baby's Ice Cream.
Spoliered to give you a second chance.
That middle one is like a Very Special Episode of "Dr. Pimple Popper."
  #995  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
campp is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 3,108
I don't even know the product or brand.

A young girl is anxiously waiting at home with her parents to meet her new boyfriend.

Boyfriend comes over, and lots of heartugging moments like looking at childhood pictures and the tire swing out back. I don't know how old the guy is, he looks like 20 or so. The girl looks to me like she's 14 or so. Very creepy.
  #996  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,063
I wanted to add this one to the conversation.

I can see where this could be considered annoying to some, but I had a different reaction. Instead, I gotta say, this is an AMAZING acting job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_xVj2RfSsg

To be able to produce this sustained realistic laughing for nearly a minute. And considering how they shoot commercials, she probably had to do it over and over for a whole day of shooting.

Really, absolutely amazing.
  #997  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,291
Those Trojan commercials with Trojan Man. What a creepster.
  #998  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:18 PM
TBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There's a commercial for Stanley Steemer that has a kid spitting out his smoothie all over the carpet. I won't link to it because it's pretty gross, but here's the description:
When his friend performs a funny dance after winning his video game, a young boy is so stunned that he spits out his smoothie all over the carpet. The girl sitting with them proceeds to hide the spill under a foot rest. Gross! Luckily, Stanley Steemer wants to help this home get back to clean with its $99 Cleaning Special.
Pretty sure he spits out his drink because the other kid accidentally hits him in the junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
* little kid voice * "Let's talk about Haribo gummy bears!"
Let's not and say we did. :mute:
More betterer option.
  #999  
Old 05-18-2019, 03:38 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
I don't even know the product or brand.

A young girl is anxiously waiting at home with her parents to meet her new boyfriend.

Boyfriend comes over, and lots of heartugging moments like looking at childhood pictures and the tire swing out back. I don't know how old the guy is, he looks like 20 or so. The girl looks to me like she's 14 or so. Very creepy.
She's about the same age as the guy. She's skinny and young, but that doesn't make her 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Pretty sure he spits out his drink because the other kid accidentally hits him in the junk.
The kid who is dancing hits himself in the junk, which the other kid finds hilarious and causes a spit-take.
  #1000  
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
I don't even know the product or brand.

A young girl is anxiously waiting at home with her parents to meet her new boyfriend.
Is this the one where everyone is sitting nervously around the breakfast nook table, and -- based on previous events in the commercial -- it's implied that they're all upset because the boyfriend is running late due to having to drop yet another deuce at a socially unacceptable time and place?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017