Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The film class in college had the professor smugly showing this, and even the stoners in class were going Da Fuq???

Honorable mention to all the B, C and D movies that I had to project in the 1980's. My personable belief is the Friday the 13th movies were all the same, with the reel going in different orders...
Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM

When the Wind Blows - strange animated film about an elderly couple preparing for, experiencing, and eventually dying in a nuclear holocaust. Bizarre just because of its subject matter and simple, totally straightforward plot. There are zero twists or surprises, but it's completely emotionally devastating by the end.

ETA: If you haven't seen it, it's still worth watching even though I completely just spoiled it.

Last edited by DCnDC; 05-14-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
When the Wind Blows - strange animated film about an elderly couple preparing for, experiencing, and eventually dying in a nuclear holocaust. Bizarre just because of its subject matter and simple, totally straightforward plot. There are zero twists or surprises, but it's completely emotionally devastating by the end.

ETA: If you haven't seen it, it's still worth watching even though I completely just spoiled it.

It was based on a graphic novel of the same name. Like many of the warnings of nuclear apocalypse that came out about the same time it's devastating, and shows the outmoded thinking of many involved (in the case, the old couple, who think of war in terms of WWII).
Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Andy Warhol's Frankenstein is pretty far out. I haven't seen it since 1991 or so but I thought it was crazy when I did see it.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Andy Warhol's Frankenstein is pretty far out. I haven't seen it since 1991 or so but I thought it was crazy when I did see it.
It was great in 3D.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM

I can't believe that Kevin Smith's Tusk, hasn't been mentioned yet. Stars Justin Long as a podcaster that ultimately gets kidnapped and over time transformed into a walrus. 'Nuf said.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM

Last Year at Marienbad
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Last Year at Marienbad
I mentioned this one back near the start of the thread, but it's good to see that a.) somebody else saw it, and b.) thought it was weird.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I was going to post this. You just like it because Groucho plays God.
Typecasting. Such a curse.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 PM

Just remembered this one - a totally bizarre German film called "71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance." It was......intense, I guess.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109020/
Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Willi Tobler and the Destruction of the 6th Fleet, a very odd German sci-fi picture from 1972. Disjointed style, odd off-center dialog.

The Amazon editorial review: "Alexander Kluge of the New German Cinema returns to the conventions of science fiction for this assault on the German establishment. During the War of the Galactic Citizens, Willi Tobler decides to rid himself of his material possessions and responsibilities after his sector is bombarded. He not only leaves behind his belongings but also his wife and child, seeking security from the ravages of space war. He volunteers to be the public relations man for the Chief Admiral of the 6th Fleet, but his new life does not give him the security he wanted. With its intentionally low-budget look and offbeat intertitles, Willi Tobler and the Decline of the 6th Fleet evokes the hand-crafted effects of Georges Melies. Combined with a dependence on improvisation, the film also serves as an example of radical experimentation within a popular genre."

...and it has a sister movie, The Big Mess, which is done in the same style.

Both movies went into my "donate to Goodwill" pile.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
Eraserhead.
You got it in two.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 AM

Fellini-Satyricon was mentioned upthread and it motivated me to look for it. Amazingly, it's free on YouTube (and HD!).

Fifty years later it remains stunning and dreamlike. I had forgotten how visually spectacular it was. And so very strange.

A Roman acid trip.

LINK
Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Nicole Kidman's Dogville is set quite weirdly.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Time Bandits.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Nicole Kidman's Dogville is set quite weirdly.
And it has a sequel*, Manderlay, with a similar minimalist sound-stage setting.

*It continues with some of the Dogville characters in a new place, an Alabama plantation on which slavery is still practiced. In 1933. Some of the returning characters are played by different actors than in Dogville, and some of the Dogville actors play new characters in Manderlay.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
The strangest movie I've actually watched in its entirety is Cube, a science fiction/horror film released in 1997 about a group of people trapped in a maze of cube-shaped rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_(film)
There's a whole series of Cube movies, and I've seen several of them, but didn't find most of them all that weird (at least not how most of this thread seems to define strange).

Unlike, say, Eraserhead, which I tried to watch and only made to about 10-15 mins in then said "fuck this" and stopped.

I don't think it counts as very mainstream, but I did manage to watch Southland Tales in its entirety and wished I hadn't. Certainly the weirdest thing I've made it all the way through. I don't even remember much about it other than it being weird.

Much more mainstream was Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me. Still very weird, but I'd just watched the whole (then) series (also weird, but I enjoyed it).

I can't think of the name, but there was this movie on Netflix about a bunch of people that are trapped in some weird place and have to keep voting off people to be killed. (great description, huh?)
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Fellini-Satyricon was mentioned upthread and it motivated me to look for it. Amazingly, it's free on YouTube (and HD!).

Fifty years later it remains stunning and dreamlike. I had forgotten how visually spectacular it was. And so very strange.

A Roman acid trip.

LINK
That's because large portions of The Satyricon were lost over time so, to the modern reader, the narrative seems confused, disjointed, and abrupt. Fellini's adaptation was trying to capture that quality.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Kongo (1932) was a pre Hayes code remake of "West of Zanzibar" set deep in darkest Africa. Protagonist uses magic tricks to set himself as a leader of an African tribe. He had taken the infant daughter his hated enemy (who caused him to become crippled and who ran off with his wife) Daughter is raised in a Convent school, spirited away to a brothel, finally ending up in the African village.
When her fate is described, the phrase "You can't do that to a white woman!" was said
Hubby and I were watching it together and simultaneously asked if we really heard what was just said.
It gets weireder
Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I can't think of the name, but there was this movie on Netflix about a bunch of people that are trapped in some weird place and have to keep voting off people to be killed. (great description, huh?)
I saw that--it's called Circle. I liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_(2015_film)
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songmonkey View Post
Time Bandits.
Good call. Immensely entertaining--I seem to recall seeing it in the theatre three or four times on its first release--but it was obviously the product of someone whose imagination just didn't work in the same way as anybody else's.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
That's because large portions of The Satyricon were lost over time so, to the modern reader, the narrative seems confused, disjointed, and abrupt. Fellini's adaptation was trying to capture that quality.
Indeed. Believe it or not I had to read Petronius's version in Latin class (albeit in English translation).

Still, with the peripheral characters routinely staring into the camera, people flicking their tongues or 'dancing' with their arms and hands, the repulsive meals, etc., the movie is weird in itself. Plus, I seem to remember reading that Fellini was doing LSD around the time he made it. Of course, he was not alone in that.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I saw that--it's called Circle. I liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_(2015_film)
Yeah, I looked it up last night. Took a while to find, but that was it.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
I can't believe that Kevin Smith's Tusk, hasn't been mentioned yet. Stars Justin Long as a podcaster that ultimately gets kidnapped and over time transformed into a walrus. 'Nuf said.
What I thought was brilliant about this one was that the bad guy is essentially Batman. However, he's a realistic version, who ends up being abused in foster care after watching his parents get murdered and he turns out as psychotic as one would expect.

I'd rate Tusk as fairly conventional body horror (although the ending was certainly not what we might have been expecting). For a real WTF, the next movie in Smith's Great White North trilogy is Yoga Hosers, a movie about two teenage girls who fight tiny Nazis made out of bratwurst. The trailer tells you pretty much everything you need to know and shows off the highlight reel moment of the whole thing, Harley Quinn Smith yelling "I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY!"

No news yet on Moose Jaws (which is going to be exactly what it sounds like) but I'll give Kevin Smith time since he's been busy having a heart attack and doing a Jay and Silent Bob Reboot in the meantime.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:12 PM

I just remembered - every movie Derek Jarman ever made.*

For example, from wiki:

Quote:
He made his mainstream narrative filmmaking debut with Sebastiane (1976), about the martyrdom of St. Sebastian. This was one of the first British films to feature positive images of gay sexuality; its dialogue was entirely in Latin.
Latin. Helluva mainstream debut.

j

* - Fess up: I haven't seen them all.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM

This is only somewhat strange, but No Such Thing is a pretty good but little known movie.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
This is only somewhat strange, but No Such Thing is a pretty good but little known movie.
Only a bit strange. And definitely not very good. I agree with the consensus at RT: 29%. It's a "nice horror" film. Which generally doesn't work.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Maybe because it wasn't a horror film?