Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM
GreysonCarlisle's Avatar
GreysonCarlisle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,036
Fuck this guy:

Quote:
A man who admitted hurling a 5-year-old boy off a third-floor balcony at Minnesota’s Mall of America pleaded guilty on Tuesday to attempted murder, agreeing to a 19-year prison sentence.
...
He admitted dropping the boy nearly 40 feet (12 meters), telling investigators he had been visiting the mall for years to try to talk to women, but was rejected and became angry, prosecutors wrote in a criminal complaint. Aranda said he initially intended to kill an adult, but chose the boy instead.
19 years. That's about all the state allows, but fuck! Well, I guess lots of lady mall-goers dodged a bullet there. Hope the kid recovers.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 05-14-2019 at 01:51 PM.
  #202  
Old 05-14-2019, 02:41 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileygrrrl View Post
To the butt head that called my house at 6:50am: I don't know what you are selling, buying, or collecting, but it takes a special kind of gall to inform me (by a recorded message) that the matter I am being called about is VERY important and then ask me to call THEM back leaving a random number. Seriously? If it's that goddamn important, put a human on the phone. I'm not wasting a second more of my day.
I think there is a law that telemarketers can't call before 8:00 am or after 9:00 pm. Not that the butt heads give a shit if they're calling from outside of the US.
  #203  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,642
If China were to enter an actual shooting war soon, I suggest they hire my daily shuttle bus driver as a sniper. All they have to do is tell him to consider the enemy soldiers to be potholes. He'll never miss!
  #204  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
And then there are the stories about milennials not drinking beer at all...
https://www.businessinsider.com/mill...-crisis-2018-8
Do NOT worry. My Millennial kids and their friends will easily make up for the ones drinking less beer.
  #205  
Old 05-14-2019, 11:33 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
But really, how closely do the staff check that receipt? If you've got a cartload of stuff, are they going to go through everything?
Sam's club is actually pretty good about checking. I use their mobile app to scan items as I put them in the cart and then pay so I skip the checkout lines completely. The door monitor then scans the QR code on my phone and then does a quick count of my haul. They'll also scan a package of meat sold by weight to make sure I haven't scanned a $10 steak and then loaded a $20 one into my cart.

Back before the app was an option she almost always counted to make sure it matched the paper receipt.
  #206  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
If China were to enter an actual shooting war soon, I suggest they hire my daily shuttle bus driver as a sniper. All they have to do is tell him to consider the enemy soldiers to be potholes. He'll never miss!
Maybe he's related to the hunting doctor (Spanish).

A very famous doctor
who'd never before hunted
was this one time invited
to a very merry hunt.

...

"There goes a hare!" says
the spotter, "shoot, do not doubt!"
and "boom!" the doctor did shot
to wherever but the spot
so the hare leaped away
with more life than it first haid.

...

"There goes a patient!" says
the spotter, and "boom!"
the doctor did shoot
and in one shot, make a corpse.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 05-15-2019 at 12:57 AM.
  #207  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,622
Fucking IRS website. In order to create an account with these assholes, you need to provide a cell phone number so they can text you a code. When I did that, it said that it didn't recognize the number. Typed it in two more times, still got a moron blinking stupidly at me. Then it tells me that I'll have to request a letter to get the secret squirrel code, which will take at least 10 days to get to me. So my wife tries to call them in order to pay the extra charge we owe them and we're told "30-60 minute wait time". Burn in hell, you motherfuckers, and I hope the Musak there is as bad as what you have on your phone service.
  #208  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Fucking IRS website. In order to create an account with these assholes, you need to provide a cell phone number so they can text you a code. When I did that, it said that it didn't recognize the number. Typed it in two more times, still got a moron blinking stupidly at me.
The Pennsylvania state website will not recognize a number unless it is put in exactly like they expect it. (xxx) xxx-xxxx works fine, but xxx-xxx-xxxx is not recognized, neither is xxx xxx xxxx or xxxxxxxxxx.
  #209  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The Pennsylvania state website will not recognize a number unless it is put in exactly like they expect it. (xxx) xxx-xxxx works fine, but xxx-xxx-xxxx is not recognized, neither is xxx xxx xxxx or xxxxxxxxxx.
I've seen that before; but normal, sane websites will show you the format they want to see. Note the modifiers.
  #210  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,152
Can't remember where I was or why. But the online form informed me there was no such address as mine. I swear it's a place and I actually live here. It's on a map. They lost a sale. ( I think I was shopping!??)
  #211  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Steve McQwark is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I've seen that before; but normal, sane websites will show you the format they want to see. Note the modifiers.
Unfortunately, sane websites aren't always the norm. I used to pay a bill online that said to enter my name exactly as it appeared on my credit card. I did, and then it was rejected as not being in the correct format. Nowhere on the page did it say what the correct format was. I sent them an e-mail telling them that if they were going to insist on a particular format, then they needed to let us know what the fucking format was. I never heard back from them and they never changed it.
  #212  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Can't remember where I was or why. But the online form informed me there was no such address as mine. I swear it's a place and I actually live here. It's on a map. They lost a sale. ( I think I was shopping!??)

That's because they cheaped out and didn't get an up-to-date address list from the USPS. A while back, due to the 9-1-1 Emergency Services system going fully into effect, a lot of places had to re-work their road names and/or house numbers. My parents, when they lived in Panama City Beach, didn't move but went through three addresses during their time. Heaven forbid anyone keep anything so trivial as a key system for their business up-to-date.

Then there are the morons who don't understand simple concepts such as New Mexico, Guam, Puerto Rico, and a couple of other places which are not states still happen to be part of the USA. ISTR a few examples mentioned on this board about the idjits thinking New Mexico is another country.

And, of course, you also have the morons who cannot grasp that AS, DC, FM, GU, MH, MP, PW, PR,VI are all USPS state abbreviations. There are a few online outfits which have exclusive rights for stuff I wanted a few years ago, but I couldn't order through them because they all cheaped out and didn't bother to get a database that was updated in the last forty years or so, thus making it impossible for me to enter my valid address because the morons didn't recognize a USPS state code. That was a big issue because payment wouldn't process if the address I entered didn't match what my bank had. Also, WTF? How can they not know that freaking DC is part of the US?
  #213  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Can't remember where I was or why. But the online form informed me there was no such address as mine. I swear it's a place and I actually live here. It's on a map. They lost a sale. ( I think I was shopping!??)
I have an old GPS that I sometimes use in the car. I'm too cheap to upgrade the maps, and it's never really been a problem, but according to it, I live in the middle of lush farmland where there are neither houses nor roads, kind of like one of the bunny rabbits that one sees around here. Also, due to a recent freeway extension, on the rare occasions when I drive on it, it shows me driving at high speed through a farmer's field. The Speaking Lady who lives inside the GPS seems to go into a state of shock because she tends to go totally silent during those times. Instead of confidently giving directions she becomes literally speechless. Can't say that I blame her.
  #214  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Then there are the morons who don't understand simple concepts such as New Mexico, Guam, Puerto Rico, and a couple of other places which are not states still happen to be part of the USA. ISTR a few examples mentioned on this board about the idjits thinking New Mexico is another country.

And, of course, you also have the morons who cannot grasp that AS, DC, FM, GU, MH, MP, PW, PR,VI are all USPS state abbreviations. There are a few online outfits which have exclusive rights for stuff I wanted a few years ago, but I couldn't order through them because they all cheaped out and didn't bother to get a database that was updated in the last forty years or so, thus making it impossible for me to enter my valid address because the morons didn't recognize a USPS state code. That was a big issue because payment wouldn't process if the address I entered didn't match what my bank had. Also, WTF? How can they not know that freaking DC is part of the US?
I'm reasonably sure I've told the story about Sony apparently not knowing that there are multiple countries whose Postal Codes consist of five digitsÖ ah, here.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #215  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 AM
slumtrimpet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canukistan
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm reasonably sure I've told the story about Sony apparently not knowing that there are multiple countries whose Postal Codes consist of five digitsÖ ah, here.
Ah yes, don't get me started on sites that will only accept US centric addresses for credit cards. I'm buying a US located product, shipping it to a US address but my credit card is non-US.
(really? wut? there exists a world outside the USA and it uses credit cards? ridiculous!)
Best of all are the gas pay at the pumps in Maine (hurdur, that large landmass just to the north of us has credit cards and postal codes that aren't US centric? Who knew?) that require you to enter a zip code to validate said credit card. And despite literally years of pointing this out to the folks inside the stations nothing has changed.
  #216  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,197
Wait, Canada is a landmass? Not a combover or something?
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.

Last edited by Nava; 05-16-2019 at 06:51 AM.
  #217  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 AM
slumtrimpet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canukistan
Posts: 605
Flyover, not combover. ;-)
  #218  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM
overlyverbose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: STLMO
Posts: 6,327
My husband keeps having panic attacks and I don't know how to help him.

He had another one at 2 a.m. this morning. It woke him up from his sleep and apparently feels a lot like a heart attack. He's exercising and trying meditation because he doesn't want to take anything for it, but they keep happening. His doc has let him know that they will probably keep happening for a while until he gets his stress under control, but it still sucks.

I'm also getting pressure from the other moms in this elite soccer team to get my daughter to join. "But you could be making your daughter miss out on opportunities to get into high school soccer! What about college scholarships?! If logistics are the problem, I'll give her a ride! I'll feed her dinner for you." Why the fuck is this so important to you? She hasn't even reached the double digits. This is not critical. It's also a fabulous recipe for burnt out kids. Back. Off. I have yet to meet a kid who wound up in a flop house because they didn't do a league sport as a child.
  #219  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 AM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 344
I really, truly, love my sweet grey cat boy. He his beautiful. It is really fucking sad that I'm allergic to him. I woke up with my right eye swollen up. Tonight, Dusty boy is getting a bath and I'm gonna clean the house so that, hopefully, this current string of allergies will subside. My allergies are not usually this bad. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what I am going to do.
  #220  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I really, truly, love my sweet grey cat boy. He his beautiful. It is really fucking sad that I'm allergic to him. I woke up with my right eye swollen up. Tonight, Dusty boy is getting a bath and I'm gonna clean the house so that, hopefully, this current string of allergies will subside. My allergies are not usually this bad. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what I am going to do.
Can you get allergy meds from your doctor?
  #221  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,450
My office is busy and noisy with people conferring on projects and having intense, loud conference calls. I'm happy when lunchtime comes so I can get away from the mosh pit.

Except the lunch place (Panera) is starting to sound more like an office. The place is full of people working on laptops, having business meetings, making noisy phone calls through their Bluetooths (Blueteeth?). When did restaurants become such high-intensity, stressful places? My stomach is in knots after eating there.

I think I'm going to start bringing in PBJs and eating in my car in the parking garage.
  #222  
Old 05-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
My office is busy and noisy with people conferring on projects and having intense, loud conference calls. I'm happy when lunchtime comes so I can get away from the mosh pit.

Except the lunch place (Panera) is starting to sound more like an office. The place is full of people working on laptops, having business meetings, making noisy phone calls through their Bluetooths (Blueteeth?). When did restaurants become such high-intensity, stressful places? My stomach is in knots after eating there.

I think I'm going to start bringing in PBJs and eating in my car in the parking garage.
I used to go to a park at lunch to listen to music while reading, and eating my lunch.
  #223  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Can you get allergy meds from your doctor?


I’ll try. I’m taking Allegra OTC but it’s expensive and I don’t take it everyday. I didn’t take it yesterday... and that happened


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #224  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Wait, Canada is a landmass? Not a combover or something?
Canada is the U.S.'s hat.
  #225  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Wait, Canada is a landmass? Not a combover or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Why not both?
  #226  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 AM
purplehorseshoe is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,856
No, Canada is America's attic.
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #227  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Swampwolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
No, Canada is America's attic.
Mostly forgotten, but once in a while, we go up and say "Wow! Look at all the great shit up here!"
  #228  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:34 AM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,798
My country is making me sadder than usual. Well, my country, my family and people I vaguely know but can't completely cut off.
  #229  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:25 AM
saje is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,209
Me too. I'm incredibly disappointed to find that some people who I really like, or was besties with when we were kids, are so gullible and occasionally so narrow-mindedly hateful. It only adds to my hermit tendencies because right now I just ... I just *can't* with it all.
  #230  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 AM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 2,830
One of my best friends from college, got married moved to Hawaii. We kept in touch as much as we could.( I was living all over). Once I flew to Hawaii,I and took her to a resort. Her husband was dying of mouth cancer. Anyhoo, some kind insult or something must of been said. Real or imagined, And Iíve been totally cut off. He brother told me when her husband passed. I asked her and I think itís that she thinks a Republican or something...but Iím not...oh well. Her loss. But Iím sad about it.
  #231  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,535
We were out late last night, then this morning the dogs woke us up to see the sun rise. My gf suggested we go for a dawn horseback ride since we were up anyway. I was riding Jake, a Tenessee Walker, with the smoothest gait around.

While I was watching a Great Blue Heron off to my right, I got cracked on the side of my head by a tree branch that I should have seen and avoided. Once my gf knew I wasn't too seriously hurt, she erupted with laughter. She saw it occur, and she even yelled for me to look out, but I wasn't wearing my hearing aid. I believe they call it "getting your bell rung".
  #232  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:18 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
My office is busy and noisy with people conferring on projects and having intense, loud conference calls. I'm happy when lunchtime comes so I can get away from the mosh pit.

Except the lunch place (Panera) is starting to sound more like an office. The place is full of people working on laptops, having business meetings, making noisy phone calls through their Bluetooths (Blueteeth?). When did restaurants become such high-intensity, stressful places? My stomach is in knots after eating there.

I think I'm going to start bringing in PBJs and eating in my car in the parking garage.
Or try getting your Panera sandwich AFTER work, and bringing it to eat in your car the following day.

Panera sammiches > PBJ
  #233  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:20 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Iíll try. Iím taking Allegra OTC but itís expensive and I donít take it everyday. I didnít take it yesterday... and that happened.
Costco sells a generic Allegra that works just as well as the name brand stuff, at a FAR lower price.
  #234  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
No, Canada is America's attic.
I thought that America's attic was the Smithsonian...
  #235  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Dr. Girlfriend's Avatar
Dr. Girlfriend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: between chair & keyboard
Posts: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
Me too. I'm incredibly disappointed to find that some people who I really like, or was besties with when we were kids, are so gullible and occasionally so narrow-mindedly hateful. It only adds to my hermit tendencies because right now I just ... I just *can't* with it all.
I hear you. I've had to severely restrict contact with my best friend from back in middle school and one of my favorite uncles because of their behavior.

I've gotten to the point where I think I have more people on "ignore" on Facebook than who I actually see their posts. Every now and then I peek in on them and see that they're still acting the same way so I don't unblock them. My Facebook feed is full of funny pictures, cat videos, and hockey stuff anymore and I'm OK with that.
  #236  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
We were out late last night, then this morning the dogs woke us up to see the sun rise. My gf suggested we go for a dawn horseback ride since we were up anyway. I was riding Jake, a Tenessee Walker, with the smoothest gait around.

While I was watching a Great Blue Heron off to my right, I got cracked on the side of my head by a tree branch that I should have seen and avoided. Once my gf knew I wasn't too seriously hurt, she erupted with laughter. She saw it occur, and she even yelled for me to look out, but I wasn't wearing my hearing aid. I believe they call it "getting your bell rung".
It would have been funnier if your head had reverberated like a proper bell, cartoon-like! Glad you're OK, though. A horseback ride in the countryside at dawn and the sight of a Great Blue Heron sounds perfectly lovely. I'd have been willing to endure a (minor) bonk on the head for that!
  #237  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I have an old GPS that I sometimes use in the car. I'm too cheap to upgrade the maps, and it's never really been a problem, but according to it, I live in the middle of lush farmland where there are neither houses nor roads, kind of like one of the bunny rabbits that one sees around here.
Up until about 7 years ago, all of the map appliances and apps had me living in the middle of a creek about 4 miles up the road from my actual home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
I have yet to meet a kid who wound up in a flop house because they didn't do a league sport as a child.
Have you actually gone to a flophouse and inquired whether they participated in league sports as children? No? Hi thee and thy prepubescent progeny to the soccer pitch post haste woman! Before it's too late!


My miniest of rants. I'm staying at a $200/night hotel for work for several weeks. Is it too much to expect something better than John Wayne toilet paper* that shreds down the middle when someone uses it?

* It's rough. It's tough. And it don't take shit off nobody.
  #238  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 16,725
We've had several workers come by the house the last couple of weeks and their GPS invariably tells them to go down the street instead of stopping at our house. They have to call to let me know they're lost. Well, no, you're not. You're on the right street, just look at the house numbers and backtrack.
  #239  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,587
Decided this morning, for various reasons, that I've really missed having a toaster oven. So I hopped over to Prime Now to have one delivered by this evening. It arrived well within the scheduled time frame, the driver was super nice, and the box was actually in good shape. I got it inside and opened it...it was very, very used. Burned food was caked around the burners, the top was covered in sticky foulness, and there were dents all over it. Doubled-checked the Prime Now listing...this definitely should have been a new appliance. Fortunately, Amazon customer service was very quick about processing a refund.

While I was reboxing the nasty toaster oven and setting it in the garage in anticipation of its return to UPS, I noticed my old toaster oven sitting with the pile of stuff to take to the recycling center. What the heck, I thought, maybe I can repair it instead of buying a new toaster oven. So I get the model information, and start searching online...apparently the only repair parts you can buy for this heap are the knobs, the handle, the feet, and the rack/crumb tray assembly.

>.<
  #240  
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 PM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,731
I pit drivers that tailgate the last of a pack of motorcycles.

Hey dum dum the last biker can’t ride any faster——they are keeping pace with the lead biker who 15 bikes ahead of him. And the lead biker has no idea you are tailgating the last guy so he’s not going to speed up either.

Yes, it’s inconvenient they are in the left lane. This is because for maximum safety the pack has to maintain a constant speed and can’t keep slowing down or passing slower vehicles.

This isn’t Grandma Kettle going 40 mph in the passing lane you are trying to bully out of the way. You are risking multiple lives with this aggressive behavior.

Back off, and get into one of the right hand lanes and you’ll eventually pass the motorcycles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #241  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,546
Fucking Windows updates. First they wipe out my Win7 games (AGAIN), then the fuck up the Adobe Flash player in Edge, which I was using to access my security camera web site. Suddenly, the feed from the camera has to be enabled every single time I go to the page, and that's even though I have allow Adobe Flash turned ON in the settings. Still have to allow it, and it only gives the the choice of one time instead of one time or all the time.

Somedays I really wish I could blow up the people who make these decisions.
  #242  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:37 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 42,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Iíll try. Iím taking Allegra OTC but itís expensive and I donít take it everyday. I didnít take it yesterday... and that happened


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was having constant runny nose and itchy, watery eyes. Then I started taking a generic equivalent of Zyrtec, one tablet every morning. Works like a charm, and not expensive.
  #243  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
My country is making me sadder than usual. Well, my country, my family and people I vaguely know but can't completely cut off.
Yes. I've been waiting for the pendulum to swing back the other way, but I think I've got to step back from the news a bit. The other night a conversation with my husband nearly became a fight. Sometimes he likes to play devil's advocate, sometimes he means what he says, and I am having a lot of emotions about politics right now. Like saje said, I just can't with it all. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet, but I need to manage this better.
  #244  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 AM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I was having constant runny nose and itchy, watery eyes. Then I started taking a generic equivalent of Zyrtec, one tablet every morning. Works like a charm, and not expensive.
I have tried Zyrtec in the past. Unfortunately, it puts me right to sleep. I have an unusually strong drowsy reaction apparently. Benadryl and Claritan also knock me on my ass. Allegra is the only one that doesn't make me unsafe to drive.

However, it I can find a 24 hour Zyrtec, then I'll try taking it at night to see if I can save some money.

My daughter had a some blood taken for some tests to see if she anemic or if there is some other reason she constantly puts things in her mouth. That was on the 8th. The doctor still hasn't called. I suppose that there probably isn't anything majorly wrong since they didn't call but I hate the not knowing.
  #245  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I have tried Zyrtec in the past. Unfortunately, it puts me right to sleep. I have an unusually strong drowsy reaction apparently. Benadryl and Claritan also knock me on my ass. Allegra is the only one that doesn't make me unsafe to drive.
Zyrtec put me to sleep for 18 hours! Got up once to pee, then back out. Felt groggy for a few hours after.

Claritin makes me angry (took me 6 months to figure that one out).

Good luck finding the right medicine.
  #246  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:50 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Claritin makes me angry (took me 6 months to figure that one out).
Claritin and Trump: a bad, bad combination during allergy season.
  #247  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,394
*sigh* Co-worker from years back decided to be disrespectful in an argument about abortion and call my historical context "disingenuous" twice.

Unfriended.
  #248  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,535
I was number three!!!!

I showed up at the Sportsman Club to vote this morning at 7:04 (they opened at 7:00). I casually asked the woman if I was first, only to discover that I was number three. She told me there's an "older couple" who traditionally always arrive before they open and they placed the first and second votes.

While I was there nobody else showed up.
  #249  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,587
Claritin is one of the best allergy medications I've ever taken... unfortunately, it gives me migraine-like headaches after a week. It has been suggested to me that taking it every other day might eliminate the headache side effect, but I'm not willing to go through that again. Zyrtec works fine for me, with an occasional generic decongestant if things get really bad.
  #250  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
We've had several workers come by the house the last couple of weeks and their GPS invariably tells them to go down the street instead of stopping at our house. They have to call to let me know they're lost. Well, no, you're not. You're on the right street, just look at the house numbers and backtrack.
Our house is on a private road that at one point GPS could not deal with. It took some tinkering, but I've fixed the issue on Google Maps and WAZE.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017