Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Just about every big budget animated feature when they started casting A-list stars instead of experienced voice actors. Especially something like Disney's first Aladdin. Sure, Robin Williams' genie was hilarious, but it had nothing to do with the movie.

And before anyone says anything, I'm specifically giving a pass to the entire Toy Story series.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 AM

A couple more from The Wire.
I now see Wendell Pierce on the show Chicago PD. Everytime I see him I get angry and want to yell “Dammit Bunk, you went and sold out to become a slimy Chicago politician!”
And anytime I see Idris Elba in anything I think he’s shady just like Stringer Bell.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Speaking of Naked Gun, it's really hard watching Leslie Nielsen in his earlier more dramatic roles after watching his later comedic work. Most notably in the sci fi classic The Forbidden Planet.
I finally got around to watchingThe Forbidden Planet and thinking "Oh wow, it's the same character but he's playing it straight!"
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
So you think they shouldn't be used because they're very good actors capable of multiple roles? How dare they!

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I recognize someone from another role. I say, "Oh, that's a familiar face," and then sit back to watch their performance. Their earlier roles have no bearing on how I will enjoy the film.

"Oh, David Tennant is playing Hamlet. Let's see how he handles the role."
The first time David Tennant (as Scrooge McDuck) goes into a long rant on Duck Tales I thought it sound like Doctor Who with a Scottish accent. Thankfully I don't notice it anymore.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM

I've been watching Robert Fuller in such old Westerns as Laramie and Wagon Train, but every time I see him I can't help humming the theme from Emergency!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Just about every big budget animated feature when they started casting A-list stars instead of experienced voice actors. Especially something like Disney's first Aladdin. Sure, Robin Williams' genie was hilarious, but it had nothing to do with the movie.

And before anyone says anything, I'm specifically giving a pass to the entire Toy Story series.
You know that this has been going on for quite a while, don't you?

Disney used the voice talents of some famous folk in his films in the 1940s, although they were narrators, not speaking the parts of characters (Edgar Bergen and Dinak Shore in Fun and Fancy Free, Robert Benchley (sorta) in the Reluctant Dragon).

Peggy Lee got to play multiple voice roles in Lady and the Tramp, but all were subsidiary roles. There were also roles played by noted character actors, but no significant famous actors in main roles.

The first animated feature I know of to use Big Name Actors to voice leads was the 1962 UPA film Gay Purr-ee, which starred Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, Red Buttons, and Hermione Gingold alongside such experienced cartoon voice actors as Mel Blanc and Paul Frees.

Disney started doing more of it by the late 1960s and was into it in a big way by the end of the 1970s.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Surely you can't be serious.
I am being serious, and stop calling me Shirley.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I finally got around to watchingThe Forbidden Planet and thinking "Oh wow, it's the same character but he's playing it straight!"
He shows up in a lot of old TV from the sixties.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM

I used to see re-runs of the early-seventies show, "Ghost Story". Sebastian Cabot, as an imaginary host, would start the program saying, "Good evening. I'm Winston Essex". I would instantly repy, "No you're not. You're Mister fucking French"!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
I don't know... I still see Dexter Fletcher as Soap from "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" more than I see him as John Martin.

Similarly, I see Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky in "Mad Max: Fury Road" instead of as Janovec, and I think of Ron Livingston as Peter Gibbons from "Office Space" and not Lewis Nixon. Scott Grimes is either Birdie from "Mystery, Alaska" or Gordon from "The Orville", not Donald Malarkey.

I think some of the actors without other popular roles like those listed above, like say... Ross McCall are tainted like this though; he was a villain on "White Collar" and all I could think of is Liebgott as the villain. Same with Michael Cudlitz in "The Kids are Alright" and "The Walking Dead"- he's always Bull Randleman.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
A couple more from The Wire.
I now see Wendell Pierce on the show Chicago PD. Everytime I see him I get angry and want to yell “Dammit Bunk, you went and sold out to become a slimy Chicago politician!”
And anytime I see Idris Elba in anything I think he’s shady just like Stringer Bell.
I had the same problem when both Pierce and Clarke Peters showed up on Treme. I've also noticed Omar in a couple of things, but that distinctive scar makes it difficult to imagine him as someone else.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Now go back and watch the Errol Flynn Robin Hood (1938) and try not to see Little John (Alan Hale Sr.) as his son (Alan Hale Jr), the Skipper from Gilligan's Island.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Now go back and watch the Errol Flynn Robin Hood (1938) and try not to see Little John (Alan Hale Sr.) as his son (Alan Hale Jr), the Skipper from Gilligan's Island.
So close. You could have written "Now sit right back and watch the Errol Flynn Robin Hood (1938) and try not to see Little John (Alan Hale Sr.) as his son (Alan Hale Jr), the Skipper from Gilligan's Island.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Actor John Ritter had a recurring role on the long-running family drama "The Waltons" in 1972-1977. He played the role of the Rev. Matt Fordwick, a young minister who arrives on Walton Mountain. The show followed his courtship of schoolmistress Rosemary, their subsequent marriage and later, the birth of their baby.

I always wonder if that baby grew up, was estranged from his father, changed his name to Jack Tripper, and move in with two women and pretended to be gay to stick it to the Reverend.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 AM

I love The Princess Bride but I am always taken out of the story with, "Look, that's Billy Crystal" and "Hey, that's Peter Cook".
Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It’s not ruined for me but every actor in Band of Brothers is always going to be primarily associated with that no matter what else they pop up in. With the exception of David Schwimmer because he will always be Ross.
That’s why I couldn’t get into Homeland, I couldn’t get past Damien Lewis as Richard Winters.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I agree about Hugo Weaving in LOTR. I kept expecting him to intone "MIS-ter Bag-innns!" And of course there is James Gandolfini, who will always and forever be Tony Soprano, even in death. Hell, even seeing him in an earlier movie (Get Shorty) triggers that same response.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Doctor Who as Skynet's personification in Terminator Genesys. I actually like the movie, but that was weird. Weirder than Bruce Wayne as John Connor in Salvation.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM
You mean he's STILL here?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
You know that this has been going on for quite a while, don't you?

Disney used the voice talents of some famous folk in his films in the 1940s, although they were narrators, not speaking the parts of characters (Edgar Bergen and Dinak Shore in Fun and Fancy Free, Robert Benchley (sorta) in the Reluctant Dragon).

Peggy Lee got to play multiple voice roles in Lady and the Tramp, but all were subsidiary roles. There were also roles played by noted character actors, but no significant famous actors in main roles.

The first animated feature I know of to use Big Name Actors to voice leads was the 1962 UPA film Gay Purr-ee, which starred Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, Red Buttons, and Hermione Gingold alongside such experienced cartoon voice actors as Mel Blanc and Paul Frees.

Disney started doing more of it by the late 1960s and was into it in a big way by the end of the 1970s.
I stipulate to all of that, but even in Gay Purr-ee and The Aristocats, the stars were suited to the roles. I'm talking about the Williams/Aladdin type of casting, where, at best, they write the character to fit the star, even if it doesn't quite fit into the film. Call it product placement for voices.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:18 PM

As soon as I saw this thread I immediately thought of Chris Pratt in Zero Dark Thirty. His character showed up very late in the film, and didn't really get enough screen time for me to see him as a tough Marine and not the dumb but lovable slacker he played on Parks and Recreation.

I guess for me, in the "not ruined but very mildly distracting" category is Tony Shalhoub in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I can see that Abe Weissman definitely isn't Adrian Monk, but I can't help but keep noticing certain Monk-like aspects of Abe's personality. Like how Abe like's to plan things out in a very scientific way, and I think "that's the kind of thing Monk would do."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
And of course there is James Gandolfini, who will always and forever be Tony Soprano, even in death. Hell, even seeing him in an earlier movie (Get Shorty) triggers that same response.
If you haven't already, go to YouTube and look up Gandolfini's guest appearance on Sesame Street. It is totally surreal to see "Tony Soprano" showing up and talking to little kids about overcoming one's fears.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 05-16-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I guess for me, in the "not ruined but very mildly distracting" category is Tony Shalhoub in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I can see that Abe Weissman definitely isn't Adrian Monk, but I can't help but keep noticing certain Monk-like aspects of Abe's personality. Like how Abe like's to plan things out in a very scientific way, and I think "that's the kind of thing Monk would do."
To me, Tony Shaloub is, now and forever, immigrant cab driver Antonio Scarpacci in Nantucket.