Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM

All the boys needing haircuts drive me crazy (R-A-G-G, M-O-P-P, Ragmop!).

Gets on my nerves, too, the way that Charles always called her "Carolyn." Her name was Caro-LINE.

And what was with killing off all the Ingalls' boys? Yes, I'm aware that IRL, both Caroline and Laura lost infant sons. But then TPTB decided to off Mary's son and Albert, too!* If I were James, I'd have been watching every step I took!

*Disclaimer: Yes, I know these were fictional characters, but still...
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Unapologetic LHotP television series fan here. The anachronisms are half the fun!

1.) Just where in the hell is the Ingalls' kitchen situated in their house? It should be in the back, but some scenes have characters exiting the kitchen towards the barn, which is in front of the house.

2.) The Ingalls are continuously dirt-poor, the crops never come in, yet Pa always has time to take a sick kid to the Pacific Ocean, travel to South Dakota to help some Indians (risking life and limb no less), go to Chicago with Mary, etc.

3.) Nels Oleson: most ineffectual parent/husband ever.

4.) Jonathan Garvey: dumbest farmer ever. Loses his entire crop, sells the team then buys a bunch of useless shit at the mercantile. Shoulda stuck with football.

5.) Give Carrie some lines!

That being said, the first 5 seasons were (mostly) fine television, up to the episode where Mary goes blind (some fine acting there by Melissa Sue BTW). After that Landon seems to have gotten preoccupied with mind-numbing tragedy, over-the-top sentimentality and weird religious fables, a vision that would see fruition in Highway to Heaven.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 PM

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch God, did I love Nellie, although by the time I was old enough to remember watching it, the only one I remember was the Nellie substitute, Nancy, who was even worse.

The worst one had to be (well, besides the Clown Rape), when Nellie married a Jewish man, Percival Dalton (whose real name was Isaac). So his family comes to visit when they find out Nellie's pregnant, and Mrs. Olsen and Percival's father (I can't remember if Percival changed his last name as well, I'll just call him :j ), just keep clashing over religious customs, and such. Well, they're arguing over whether or not Nellie's child will be Jewish, until finally it's decided that if the baby is born a girl, she'll be raised Christian, and if it's a boy, he'll be raised Jewish. I'm sure you can see where this is going....

...Yep, twins. A boy and a girl. They name the girl after Mrs. Olsen, and the boy is named...after his grandfather. His JEWISH grandfather. And he's going to be raised Jewish. OY VEY!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:02 PM

I meant to make the Orthodox Jewish Guy smiley: ;j
Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf73
My personal favorite annoyance is the episode in which the School for the Blind caught fire and Alice Garvey used a baby as a battering ram to shatter a window (she had it in her arm and used the outside of her arm to hit the window, but still--babies are not blunt objects!).
That was bad enough, but logically, Alice shouldn't even have been in that position!

As I recall it, when Mary and Alice are told, by whomever (Adam, maybe) that there's a fire, Mary immediately starts towards her baby's crib. As any new mom would do, or any mom for that matter, but particularly one whose first baby was only a few months old! But Alice tells her, "I'll take care of the baby; you get the children out," and Mary agrees and goes to get the girl students out of their dormitory!

No way, no day. IRL, Mary would have knocked Alice down to get to her baby, run down the stairs with him, and then gone back to retrieve the children who weren't her flesh and blood. And it's unlikely that Alice would have made that offer, either.

JThunder, Hugh Wilson, who produced WKRP, as well as Frank's Place, once grumbled re: LHOTP, "Every time we started gaining on those suckers, they'd blind another child!"
Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB
Well, somehow when I was growing up, Mary losing her eyesight while reading by the light of an oil lamp had a profound impact on my mother.
The problem is that the whole way Mary's blindness was handled on the show isn't a Little Annoying Thing - it's a Major Stupid Really Irritating Annoying Thing. Which wasn't what the OP asked for. But I'm not going to let that stop me.

In the books, Mary went blind as a complication of scarlet fever, which also made Ma, Carrie and Baby Grace very ill. Although in that time and place, blindness meant all her dreams for her adult life were taken from her - blind people didn't even marry or have their own homes, and certainly didn't teach school - she bore it bravely and never complained. Some time later, the Reverend Alden visits the family and tells them there are schools for the blind, where Mary could at least continue her education and learn useful skills. Ma and Pa decide instantly that Mary should have such an opportunity, and the family works and saves for years to send her. (In reality, the school was free, but the family would need to pay her transportation to and from Iowa, and outfit her with clothes suitable for a college girl - significant expenses anyway, for a farming family on the frontier in the 1880s.) When she finally gets the chance, Mary is grateful and excited, though of course she will miss her family.

On TV, Mary went blind from some bizarre complication of Reading By Insufficient Light, which somehow spared all the other children in the school. She was immediately packed off to the school for the blind, kicking and screaming the whole way. Only after discovering that, in the TV universe, blind people could become teachers, did she calm down and begin to accept her fate.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chao Goes Mu
It really chapped my ass when Charles and Caroline adopted TWO MORE kids. Jason Bateman played the boy and I have no idea who the girl was. Their parents had been killed when their wagon crashed.
It was already shark jumpin' before that.
I think the girl was Shannen Doherty. Shannen was in the show, at any rate, and I believe she was one of the adopted kids.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flodnak
On TV, Mary went blind from some bizarre complication of Reading By Insufficient Light, which somehow spared all the other children in the school.
Actually, scarlet fever is cited in the TV show as the cause of Mary's blindness. When she goes back to the doctor for new glasses, she mentions having an operation, and that it was even worse than the time she had scarlet fever. The doctor tells Charles that the fever had weakened the nerves in the eyes and that she would soon be blind. Later, Charles tells Mary, "It was the scarlet fever." Of course, in reality it didn't take years for this to happen, as portrayed on TV. The low light thing was used to show that she was beginning to have trouble seeing--normal light was becoming insufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellMeI'mNotCrazy
I think the girl was Shannen Doherty. Shannen was in the show, at any rate, and I believe she was one of the adopted kids.
The name of the girl playing Jason Bateman's sister was Missy Frances (IIRC). Shannen Doherty played Almanzo's niece Jenny Wilder (she was Royal's daughter and came to live with the Wilder's when her father died.) But this reminds me of another irritating thing. Some time before Jenny came to Walnut Grove, the Wilder's are visited by Royal, his wife, and their TWO SONS (who are brats). Later, Royal tells Almanzo that Jenny has no other family--this means they completely rewrote show history. (Royal's wife does tell him she's pregnant again in the earlier episode, but if Jenny were that child, she'd have had two brothers to help care for her when their father died.)

Yes, I've watched a lot of LHotP. Why do you ask?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 AM

What flodnak said. The treatment of Mary's blindness on the show was one of the Worse Things. Mary was never a favorite of mine (in the books) -- she was a bit of a prig, really -- but you had to give her props for her stoicism. Her blindness meant the absolute death of all her dreams (becoming a teacher). Her blindness meant she would never have a home of her home. Indeed this is what happened -- Mary lived on with Ma and Pa until they died and then lived with the families of her younger sisters until her own death. And yet, she never once repined. She was a hero, for crying out loud! But that was stripped from her in the TV series, when she became just another 'differently abled' person on a shitty TV show.

God, I hate that show!
Old 09-07-2005, 07:22 AM

The music used within the program was bad enough to ruin episodes that might have otherwise been entertaining.

I kind of remember enjoying the episode with Richard Mulligan as the Civil War vet addicted to morphine.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellMeI'mNotCrazy

Gah! I forgot she was on there! I think I was trying to block it out. Ok so I'm still confused about the Albert thing. He died and then became a doctor according to a V.O. by Laura? WTF? I hate those kind of inconsistencies.

But I watched the show religiously. [CONFESSION(Had a crush on Caroline and the adult Laura)[/CONFESSION]
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Anyone remember the "wild boy" (I think his name was Matthew) who was in the custody of a traveling performer-he wouldn't teach Matthew anything, and kept him doped up on morphine or something else, so he'd have fits?

Then Mr. Edwards adopts him, and it's found out he can't talk because someone poured lye down his throat! (BTW, did ASL exist then?)

I remember Nancy made Nellie look like Miss Muffet-she locked that one girl in the ice house because she had a crush on Albert, and Albert liked the ice house girl.

Damn, I gotta read those books again-as a kid, my favorite was Little House in the Big Woods and I used to read it over and over. I loved reading about how they "made things"-how they made the every day necessities that we just pluck off of the grocery shelves. (Such as churning butter, or Pa smoking venison, or Ma making soap-all of that fascinated me as a child.)

Oh, and Jenny Wilder might have been the girl who wandered into the lake-she almost drowned, and suffered brain damage and then had to learn how to speak all over again.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I admit it, I used to watch this show all the time when it was in first run. When I was in grad school, I picked it up again on the cable re-runs. My roomate at the time also admitted that he liked the show and we found ourselves watching it between classes.

One time we were watching one of the more tragic episodes (the tornado one I think) and he said "You know, they should have named this show 'Life Sucks on the Prairie'."
Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam
JThunder, Hugh Wilson, who produced WKRP, as well as Frank's Place, once grumbled re: LHOTP, "Every time we started gaining on those suckers, they'd blind another child!"
What a crying shame. Melissa Sue Anderson may have been hauntingly lovely, but Jan Smithers was even more so.

Okay, okay. That's not the only reason why I liked WKRP, 'kay?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM

One of the irritating things for me about Little House on the Prairie is that, when I meet somebody new here in Japan, and I mention that I'm from Minnesota, the odds are good that their immediate response will be, "Ah! Small...house...on...." and I know right away that I'm doomed.

My choices at this point:

A) Kindly and patiently try (and fail) to explain that, much like Japan is no longer in the midst of the sengoku-jidai, Minnesota ISN'T LIKE THAT ANYMORE, and furthermore in most cases WAS NEVER LIKE THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE; or

B) Nod, smile, and KEEP DRINKING.

What choice I make I leave as an exercise for the reader.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:44 AM

What bugged me:

Not enough time travel stories. I would have liked to have seen someone ride a horse very fast and "slingshot" around a tree, going back in time to restore a deviant time line.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
I meant to make the Orthodox Jewish Guy smiley: ;j
I guarantee you, no actual Orthodox Jew smiles at a sad situation like that.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearflag70
What bugged me:

Not enough time travel stories. I would have liked to have seen someone ride a horse very fast and "slingshot" around a tree, going back in time to restore a deviant time line.
Anachronism!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 PM

The thing that bugged me was how the children got away with (almost) murder with hardly any consequences. IIRC, the fire at Mary's school where her baby died was started by Andy and Albert in the basement, where they were smoking a pipe. Nellie was spoiled, but didn't Laura and Albert get away with misprinting something in the town paper, so it seemed that everything in the mercantile was 100% off?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Then Mr. Edwards adopts him, and it's found out he can't talk because someone poured lye down his throat! (BTW, did ASL exist then?)
ASL existed since the beginning of the 19th century.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
. . .unless someone can find the episode where Charles had to talk to Albert about dragracing his 1958 Thunderbird down the main street of Walnut Grove.
My favorite was the episode where Laura was stalked by an internet predator.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM

What about the episode with Colonel Sanders?

Man, that one irked me! The writers saying we don't give a F@#K, because
your going to watch this sappy crap anyhow cause your hooked!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 PM

I was channel surfing the other day and I came across LHotP and there was Todd Bridges. He was sitting in class with all the other kids and the teacher welcomed him to class and then said their new assignment would be to write an essay on something they didn't like. While discussing the idea she asked Todd what he didnt like.

His reponse.

"Being a Na"

Now his lips kept moving but there wasn't any sound. Did they actually bleep Little House on the Praire?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing
My favorite was the episode where Laura was stalked by an internet predator.
No! No! My favorite was when Laura was possessed by the Shadows and used as a pawn to trick Captain Sheridan to go to Za'ha'dum!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM

I liked the one where Mary and Nellie almost got off the island.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWay
What about the episode with Colonel Sanders?

Man, that one irked me! The writers saying we don't give a F@#K, because
your going to watch this sappy crap anyhow cause your hooked!
What am I, chopped liver? Check out post #50...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Two words: clown rape.
You just hit the archetypal reason I never watched the show after that episode.

:BIG SHUDDER:
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 PM

I don't believe any of you. All of these things really happened in Walnut Grove, MN. Next thing, you'll start telling me that Frank and Jesse James never came to Walnut Grove, let alone TOUCH Caroline. Or that the guy that eventually killed Jesse James wasn't a childhood resident of Walnut Grove. Hah!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM

I think my favorite LHotP storyline was when Mary's husband, who was also blind (they met at the school), regained his eyesight in an explosion and then became a lawyer. The pure WTF-ness of it didn't escape me as a child watching reruns in the '80s, and it still cracks me up.

I remember my father complaining about how it seemed like people died every week in their town, but never any series regulars. Like Jessica Fletcher, surely the Ingalls were at best a terrible jinx and at worst, very clever mass murderers. That said, I've seen every damn episode and can't forget them, as much as I'd like to. Sometimes I torture my husband by recounting some of the plots. And nothing can ever take away the excitement I felt the first time I saw Buffy Summers' father and shouted, "Oh my god! Her dad is Manly Wilder!"

I also enjoyed the one jayjay mentioned.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
ASL existed since the beginning of the 19th century.
Ah, thank you.

The one with Colonel Sanders didn't bug me THAT much, since he was only on for a mere three minutes at the end, and it was just supposed to be a joke. It wasn't anything one would take seriously, unlike say, oh, Laura not only teaching school after she married, but while she was pregnant, IIRC.

And why did Nellie continue to wear those sausage roll curls with the big ass bow, even after she was all grown up and married?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
What am I, chopped liver? Check out post #50...
Duh Sorry I though I had read all the posts.

Must have gotten a little over zeslous to post about that.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM

I liked the episode with the time traveling space ninjas. Especially when they built a holodeck disco and brought back the 1970s.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass
For me, it was the episode where a son was born, and Laura got jealous. The baby died, and she ran away, thinking she had killed the baby because she didn't pray for him during his sickness.

She ends up on a mountain and Charles is so happy when he finally finds her. For me, I would have whipped her butt for being so selfish and putting the family through that just after they lost a child.

Which is a darn good reason why you don't live on the prairie!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 PM

But you know the sad part? Little House on the Prarie was still more historically accurate than Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

In the past, I have always held a grudge against my father for preferring to watch the "FBI" over "Star Trek".

But then again, he refused to ever watch "Little House on the Prairie".

I guess we are even.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
But you know the sad part? Little House on the Prarie was still more historically accurate than Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Jane Seymour has a restraining order on historical accuracy. They're not allowed to be in the same film or television production at the same time.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Oh, and Jenny Wilder might have been the girl who wandered into the lake-she almost drowned, and suffered brain damage and then had to learn how to speak all over again.
Yes. Everything except the wandering-into-the-lake bit. She was trying to find her locket that had been dropped or thrown into the lake, and I think her braid got caught on a submerged branch or something. But yes, she did get brain damage and have to learn to walk and talk again.

And reading that Clown Rape link reminded me of something else that bugged about this show: the way disputes were so often settled with slapstick. Caroline pushes dough into Mrs. Oleson's face: something that the real Caroline Ingalls would neverx100 have done. But that stuff was always happening: food throwing, water throwing, people being pushed into water or mud...I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, or if we were supposed to cheer, but IMO, it did not make the Ingalls look good.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 AM

I remember an episode where Pa and the girls were off camping or something ('cause, ya know, pioneers liked nothing better than going off and roughing it on the weekends) and Ma had some kind of festering wound on her leg and she was at home all alone and people came and took her pies and she couldn't get their attention...anyway, the image that seared itself into my brain was of Ma holding a boiling rag on the end of a stick, and then slapping it down over the wound.

I have seen the clown rape episode, now that I've read the plot synopsis. I just mercifully blocked it out of my mind.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:14 AM

Oh gosh Marlitharn ...I remember that episode. Wasn't Caroline going to (almost) cut off her own leg because it got gangrenous?? Ack!

And the clown rape episode had me completely unglued. A bit stark for a family show. Didn't her creepy father make her bind her breasts down??

The thing that annoyed the caca out of me was that Carrie kid! When she was young and cute they mercifully didn't give her many lines - knowing full well that she was about as clever as a box of rocks...but later on they let her talk more. Egads that girl could not act!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana
Oh gosh Marlitharn ...I remember that episode. Wasn't Caroline going to (almost) cut off her own leg because it got gangrenous?? Ack!
I think she got bit by a snake. There was a whole scene about her reading that passage in the Bible, "If thy right eye offendeth thee, cut it out" or something, and miraculously, according to Doc Baker, she cut her leg at the exact right moment to save her life.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I think she got bit by a snake. There was a whole scene about her reading that passage in the Bible, "If thy right eye offendeth thee, cut it out" or something, and miraculously, according to Doc Baker, she cut her leg at the exact right moment to save her life.
I thought she scraped her leg on some rusty barbed wire. Wow, first Bunny and then Caroline; maybe they should switch to some safer fencing material!

The way I remember it, she was going to cut her leg, but someone showed up at the last minute and stoped her and got her medical attention.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:13 AM

I just looked it up on EpGuides.com .
It's episode 39, from the second season, "A Matter Of Faith." (Yes, I'm a dork, shut up)
According to their episode synopsis, she scratched her leg on a nail.
Quote:
Charles and his girls go on a trip, while Caroline stays home. Just before they leave, she gets a scratch on her leg by a rusty nail. At first, everything seems OK. However, as time progresses, she gets weaker and more ill.
That's all they have.
That was another one that traumatized me. She delirious with fever and misinterpreting what she was reading in the Bible, and she was going to cut off her leg. And then someone showed up at the last minute and kept her from doing it, right?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 AM

That was what they made us think she was going to do. Instead, she cut out the infection. When Pa arrived she was unconscious, but according to Doc Baker, cutting out the infection when she did she saved her life.

"Country Girls" was on last night. I almost cried when Laura gave her recitation about Ma. iamasucker.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Question: I saw the 'clown rape' episode, but don't remember much about the perpetrator. So, looking at the link provided, was he even dressed as a clown or a mime instead? And how in the freak, if so, was there one way the hell out in nowhere??? I mean, if he was with a traveling circus or whatnot, wouldn't he be just a plain old variety and nothing so decadent?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 AM

I thought it was just a mask he wore.

In reality, would Nellie have been as nasty and as spoiled as she was? I can't imagine her father letting her get away with acting so snobby just because her family owned a store. Were a lot of men hen-pecked back then?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
In reality, would Nellie have been as nasty and as spoiled as she was? I can't imagine her father letting her get away with acting so snobby just because her family owned a store. Were a lot of men hen-pecked back then?
Well, since I'm not sure "henpecked" is a term that was invented AFTER most people left the farm and moved to the city, I'm thinking there were plenty of men that fit the description back when people could regularly observe hens pecking things AND affect the common lexicon. Plus, nothing in human nature has changed since, well, pretty much ever.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Dammit, now I have to go and read the books again. Dammit.

Remember the one where Mr. Edwards has to babysit the girls, and he ends up fixing them rattlesnake for dinner? Then, so Carrie doesn't run off while he re-shingles the roof, he nails her dress down to the roof?

According to this page, it's not Albert that has leukemia, but a friend of his.

Remember Mr. Olsen's sister being the fat lady at the circus?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I thought it was just a mask he wore.
Ah, thanks ivylass. But I'm still a wee bit confused. Would it be like *that* though? Wasn't it too sophisticated?

[ Ok, sorry for the possible nitpicking here. But mimes!! ]
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam
As I recall it, when Mary and Alice are told, by whomever (Adam, maybe) that there's a fire, Mary immediately starts towards her baby's crib. As any new mom would do, or any mom for that matter, but particularly one whose first baby was only a few months old! But Alice tells her, "I'll take care of the baby; you get the children out," and Mary agrees and goes to get the girl students out of their dormitory!

No way, no day. IRL, Mary would have knocked Alice down to get to her baby, run down the stairs with him, and then gone back to retrieve the children who weren't her flesh and blood. And it's unlikely that Alice would have made that offer, either.
Not so sure about that. Remember, a little earlier than this (and possibly still going on in Europe at this point) there were wet nurses. A wet nurse had to have had a child recently, and the usual practice, IIRC, was for the wet nurse to nurse only the employer's child, not her own. Her own child often died as a result. Some women even killed their own children to be able to be wet nurses.

Not every mother was or is that attached to her baby. I've heard this was particularly true in the days of high infant mortality.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
In the past, I have always held a grudge against my father for preferring to watch the "FBI" over "Star Trek".
Silly ouryL, you don't watch the FBI, the FBI watches you.