Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Okay, this might be the hardest one of the lot to identify. Many years ago when I was at school I had a friend who was obsessed by all things science fiction. Anyway, he showed me a science fiction novel he had received as a birthday present. The thing was the text had a lot of weird effects, for example one one page the text was printed in a spiral so that you had to keep turning the book arouind to read it. Another page started with text in a great big font size, and gradually decreased the size so that you had to almost use a magnifying glass to read the last line.

I didn't read the novel, I just glanced at it briefly. I have no idea what the plot was about, or who the author was It might for all I know be some totally forgotten piece of trash that nobody read apart from my old friend.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
...The story was long-ish, novella size, about a guy who lived inside a huge, planet-size spaceship....
An interesting but not uncommon SF trope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship#In_fiction
Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeu D'Esprit View Post
Cukoo's Egg, by C J Cherryh?
Based on the cover art, and the boy's name, I'm pretty sure that's the one. Amazing, thanks!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
An interesting but not uncommon SF trope: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship#In_fiction
Yes, I know... that's why I'm having a hard time finding the story I'm looking for.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Doesn't ring a bell, and I haven't found any useful hints online yet. Let me know if you think of any other facts about it, and I'll keep thinking.
It was definitely a story about a Dyson Sphere, with people living on the inside and unaware or in denial about it.

ETA: clicked on every link in Elendil's link, and it isn't any of those. I even checked over the novels in there that I don't own already.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-15-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It was definitely a story about a Dyson Sphere, with people living on the inside and unaware or in denial about it.

ETA: clicked on every link in Elendil's link, and it isn't any of those. I even checked over the novels in there that I don't own already.
Did you check the link I gave?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Peter Morris, are you talking about The Demolished Man perhaps?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demolished_Man
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Okay, this might be the hardest one of the lot to identify. Many years ago when I was at school I had a friend who was obsessed by all things science fiction. Anyway, he showed me a science fiction novel he had received as a birthday present. The thing was the text had a lot of weird effects, for example one one page the text was printed in a spiral so that you had to keep turning the book arouind to read it. Another page started with text in a great big font size, and gradually decreased the size so that you had to almost use a magnifying glass to read the last line.

I didn't read the novel, I just glanced at it briefly. I have no idea what the plot was about, or who the author was It might for all I know be some totally forgotten piece of trash that nobody read apart from my old friend.
Two authors who did that kind of typographic stuff were Alfred Bester and Gahan Wilson. However, some Googling found this reference to a Harlan Ellison story, "The Region Between", with spiral text http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-...n-ellison?pg=1 - I'd say, based on this description

"includes rather childish, overly literal illustrations; columnar and mirror-image text and text arranged both left-to-right and up-to-down on the same page; another page with only one word on it; a paragraph in which lower-case letters that describe one character are interspersed with capital letters that describe a second; plenty of italics, bold-face and little squares of black ink; the word "this" printed as 'tHiS'; and a maddening spiral of fine print that requires the reader either to rotate his copy of "Angry Candy" 16 times or (as Ellison would undoubtedly prefer) to place the volume on a pedestal and orbit 16 times around it"

that I've found it. The story was first published in 1970 http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?51971
Old 09-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Did you check the link I gave?
Yeah, I did, Andy. I didn't see anything there that rung a bell, but I did go and look up some of the stories under Dyson Sphere and related structures. Nothing there that sounds like the story I remember, not even close.

Thanks tho. I'll keep looking around. Now that I've put the request out there, it's going to become somewhat of an obsession until I find it.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I did, Andy. I didn't see anything there that rung a bell, but I did go and look up some of the stories under Dyson Sphere and related structures. Nothing there that sounds like the story I remember, not even close.

Thanks tho. I'll keep looking around. Now that I've put the request out there, it's going to become somewhat of an obsession until I find it.
Good luck - I know from obsessions. If you think of any other details about the story (or if you find it), keep me updated - I'm interested.

Since you had a vague memory of the cover art, you might want to browse through the covers displayed at ISFDB

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?ANLGJAN77 is the format for seeing Analog covers

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?ASFJAN79 for Asimovs and

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?FSFMAR77 for F&SF
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Good luck - I know from obsessions. If you think of any other details about the story (or if you find it), keep me updated - I'm interested.

Since you had a vague memory of the cover art, you might want to browse through the covers displayed at ISFDB

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?ANLGJAN77 is the format for seeing Analog covers

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?ASFJAN79 for Asimovs and

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?FSFMAR77 for F&SF
Thanks again, Andy.

ETA: OK, I did find a way to go to the next month... that should speed up my browsing at least.

I went to those sites, but it's extremely difficult to browse anything. There's no way to just go to the next month; you have to actually type it into the address. Then there don't seem to be any story synopses anywhere. Clicking on story titles got me a page full of nothing much. Still, I bookmarked them, and maybe I'll eventually stumble onto something.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-17-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, Andy.

ETA: OK, I did find a way to go to the next month... that should speed up my browsing at least.

I went to those sites, but it's extremely difficult to browse anything. There's no way to just go to the next month; you have to actually type it into the address. Then there don't seem to be any story synopses anywhere. Clicking on story titles got me a page full of nothing much. Still, I bookmarked them, and maybe I'll eventually stumble onto something.
Yeah it is a pain. The previous and next issues are hyperlinked for the Analog issues (under "Notes"), but for story summaries, you'd have to recognize some cover art as a promising possibility and then google on the story title and author to hope to come up with a summary.

(on preview, I see you found the Analog hyperlink).
Old 09-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah it is a pain. The previous and next issues are hyperlinked for the Analog issues (under "Notes"), but for story summaries, you'd have to recognize some cover art as a promising possibility and then google on the story title and author to hope to come up with a summary.

(on preview, I see you found the Analog hyperlink).
That's what I was saying: clicking on the story titles just gives me a page with publication data, including later anthologies. I have yet to see a story synopsis.

One great thing, tho: I'm able to see some absolutely fantastic artwork. SF artists from back then had truly unique visions, before it all got taken over by Frazetta/Corbin wannabees.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That's what I was saying: clicking on the story titles just gives me a page with publication data, including later anthologies. I have yet to see a story synopsis.
Yes - you'll have to google on the story title to find a story synopsis - there aren't any synopses (unfortunately) on the ISFDB itself. Fortunately, there are a lot of story synopses on the Internet as a whole, and if you use Google Books, there's a chance you'll actually find an excerpt of the story online. For example, when I was looking for "The Smallest God" story and thought I had the right one, I googled "The Smallest God Del Rey" and found an excerpt online to confirm that I had the right one.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Someone asking about this on another forum:

Written in 80s at the very latest. Author Unknown.
A man has discovered the secret to eternal youth. He applies the treatment to himself. 40,000 years later only the man is immortal and evolution has passed the man by. He is kept in a type of zoo by the next evolution of man as a curiosity to be seen as an exhibit. New humans are taller, thinner, and much more intelligent. Immortal Caveman wants to die but new man won't let him. At one point he has some hope that an asteroid is going crash into Earth killing him. He worked it out over years and years with physics. His hopes are dashed when the super intelligent humans tell him the asteroid will not hit the Earth but they knew what his hopes and all his calculation were for but let him continue because it seemed to make him happy. His immortal life continues.

Kindness by Lester Del Rey was suggested but rejected by OP.

I wish I could say that was it but it is not. Took me a while to find a copy of Kindness online. In Kindness it looks like he wants to escape. In the one I'm looking for her wants to die.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like Where Hesperus Falls (1956) by Jack Vance although it's years since I read it. I believe he manoeuvres the ocean-going yacht he's imprisoned on to where there should be a comet strike, iirc.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 PM

the "time viewer" story could have been this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_for_Effort

OK, typical alien invasion story, set in the fifties. Alien scout party, despite disguising themselves as human based on intercepted TV transmissions, are easily detected. You see, real humans are "in color", TV transmission at the time was "black and white".
Old 12-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Meurglys, I'll pass on the suggestion, and let you know if there's any response.

I found a partial copy online. Looks good to me.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:24 PM

Bester is most likely the author but a better contender for the book might be "Golem 100". If you remember a half-naked black woman on the cover, that's a bingo. (It does fit the timeframe.) Also Joe Haldeman's "Mind Bridge" might be a contender.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meurglys, I'll pass on the suggestion, and let you know if there's any response.

I found a partial copy online. Looks good to me.
OP thinks it's probably correct. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post

Bester is most likely the author but a better contender for the book might be "Golem 100". If you remember a half-naked black woman on the cover, that's a bingo. (It does fit the timeframe.) Also Joe Haldeman's "Mind Bridge" might be a contender.
This reminds me - I suggested "Angry Candy" as the book Peter is looking for back in post 258 http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=258, but never heard back if Peter agreed or disagreed (the description of the story I found certainly sounds like what he was talking about).
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Apologies, I must have missed your answer back then. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure, it sounds very similar to what I saw. But my memory is of a novel-length book with tricks throughout. Not a section in a short story collection. Mind you, it was only a brief look about 35 years ago. Memory plays tricks.

Maybe it's been published as a book on its own? If so, it's probably the one.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
This is "Voice In the Night" by William Hope Hodgson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_in_the_Night
You can get a whole bunch of great "purple prose' of the same era on Project Gutenberg - check out Abraham Merritt, I really like Burn, Witch, Burn - a movie was based on it.

I have been looking for a novel I read in a library in the early 1970s - basic is walled city where most of the food is synthesized. A man who has the job of 'inventing' artificial flavors [he was known for his strawberry flavoring] ends up leaving the city and tasting real food, he meets people who left the city for various reasons, and when he goes back into the city is in serious trouble and the government is pissed at him. He is trying to get people to trade with the outside people because the flavors of natural food are so much better and he thinks that the city should open up.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
But my memory is of a novel-length book with tricks throughout.
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski? Do a Google image search on the title and you'll see some of the bizarre page layouts that occur all through the book.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
You can get a whole bunch of great "purple prose' of the same era on Project Gutenberg - check out Abraham Merritt, I really like Burn, Witch, Burn - a movie was based on it.

I have been looking for a novel I read in a library in the early 1970s - basic is walled city where most of the food is synthesized. A man who has the job of 'inventing' artificial flavors [he was known for his strawberry flavoring] ends up leaving the city and tasting real food, he meets people who left the city for various reasons, and when he goes back into the city is in serious trouble and the government is pissed at him. He is trying to get people to trade with the outside people because the flavors of natural food are so much better and he thinks that the city should open up.
Sounds somewhat similar to Asimov's short story Good Taste.

You can read it here.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski?
No, sorry. I saw the book circa 1978-80. House of Leaves is far too late for it.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Apologies, I must have missed your answer back then. Thanks for the suggestion.
No problem.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 PM

Two of them:

One of them I post every oh--5 years or so here.

It was an anthology. Probably a crappy Roger Elwood one but certainly a multi-author anthology. I'd guess it was published anywhere from the very late '60s to the very early '80s, but probably around 1975-ish. I checked it out of the library in the early '80s. It was a collection of downbeat SF stories, possibly ecology-themed. The story in question has a mother talking to a psychologist-type. It's mostly the mother pleading for mercy for her (it turns out) young son while the psychologist type explains how (something, mankind, no doubt) despoiled and polluted the earth, extincting all sorts of species and how every creature is sacred/protected so we can rebuild. And the son KILLED something. Exposition/pleading/lots of exposition/pleading/exposition...son will be lobotomized or executed or something hyper-drastic/pleading...shock ending: mom wails "But it was only a butterfly....!"

Terrible, terrible story but I do want to reread it to see if it's as bad as I remember.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 PM

Oops--second story. Actually book or short (2-3 books, max) series. Probably Ace books, certainly mid-'80s. Before anyone suggests it, it's not the Temeraire series (which were published in the wrong era, by a different publisher and it's a much longer series, with a totally different setting)

A hero from our world--some sort of fighter-pilot in a Reagan-era, cold war setting is transported (with his jet?) to a fantasy world. Dragons are involved...either the pilot has to use his flight skills to "pilot his dragon" against the forces of eeee-vil or he gets to keep his jet-fighter and goes up against dragons.

Again, not Naiomi Novick (or however it's spelled)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 AM

I first asked about this short story 15 years ago on this board. I read it in the 1980s in an anthology. (NB it is not On by Adam Roberts, nor is it Clarke's The Wall of Darkness).

The story concerns a tribe who live on a vertical cliff face of seemingly infinite height. Despite this precarious situation they have lived on the face for generations and have a developed society, language etc.

One day, one of them looks over his shoulder and sees in the distance another cliff face that wasn't there before.

Over the next few days, it becomes apparent that the second cliff face is getting closer and closer. The tribe has to decide what to do: some choose suicide and let go off the cliff, while the others debate the relative merits of going up or going down...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_u_wish View Post
Sometime between 1970 and 1990 I read a short story where people are being evacuated from a planet/moon. They are lining up to board the space ships. Some youngsters are busy playing with cars and trucks in the school yard. Their teacher is angry with them for playing. The kids are extremely intent and serious. The teacher kicks the trucks and pours water on them.

Later it turns out that the cars/trucks are foreshadowing what will happen to the escape pods. The last pod (which the teacher is on) is scheduled to be kicked out of orbit and/or flooded out.

Does this ring a bell at all? I probably remember the details only partially and could have some of them wrong.

Edited to add: Oh, and the teacher realizes it and is feeling guilty and sick at heart.

Based on the summary here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenna_Henderson this story is "The Last Step" by Zenna Henderson (in "The Anything Box")
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Fenris, there's an anthology that came out in 1973 that was edited by Roger Elwood and Virginia Kidd. It was called The Wounded Planet and Saving Worlds in various editions. The stories are about ecology. Perhaps the story you're thinking of is in this book.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
Fenris, there's an anthology that came out in 1973 that was edited by Roger Elwood and Virginia Kidd. It was called The Wounded Planet and Saving Worlds in various editions. The stories are about ecology. Perhaps the story you're thinking of is in this book.
This site has brief descriptions of each story https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...wounded-planet
Old 08-30-2017, 12:45 AM

I've mentioned this before, but i'll try again. Is probably a kids book of some kind but if so, surprisingly mature themes. From the 70's, what I remember:

Protagonist is a baseball player, has great eye/spatial coordination. War breaks out, his brother is presumed dead. The aliens have a single eye that emits a powerful laser. Holes in the hull are plugged by expanding balls shot from guns. Sort of what incapacitated Mr. Incredible.

The protagonist and an alien are on a moon together and stuff is moving around in slow motion because of the low gravity, but the human can tell the alien is going to be crushed because the protagonist has great baseball/spatial skills. He sacrifices himself to save the alien.

He wakes up in the hospital and sees his brother standing over him. The war is over, the guy saved the alien and it turns out the powerful lasers from the aliens are actually communication beams and the war started accidentally.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 08-30-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 AM

This isn't a story, but I've looked for a couple of years and haven't looked in the right places:

Does anybody remember a large-format SF art magazine that ran a few issues in the early or mid 70's? The pages were probably about A3 size, and I think most of the art was not original --they might have been republishing book cover art.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
This isn't a story, but I've looked for a couple of years and haven't looked in the right places:

Does anybody remember a large-format SF art magazine that ran a few issues in the early or mid 70's? The pages were probably about A3 size, and I think most of the art was not original --they might have been republishing book cover art.
You couldn't be thinking of Heavy Metal, could you? Or Epic Illustrated, from the early 1980s?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

It's Science Fiction Monthly.
I used to have every issue (although most were canaballised to put on my bedroom walls!

Last edited by Meurglys; 08-30-2017 at 05:37 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 AM

Okay, since the OP is around, I'll throw this out:
  1. Read in the late-ish 80s or early 90s, in an anthology I found in a school library. Was probably the first story in the anthology.
  2. The great Terestrial Empire of Earthmen had fallen a while ago.
  3. Most alien kings had an Earthman slave as part of their court retinue, pretty much just to show how badass the king is.
  4. For some reason, the mark of pride of a true Earthman is that he shaves his head. (No naturally bald aliens?)
  5. Earthman protagonist somehow steals a ship to escape, frees an Earthwoman from a neighboring king's court
  6. At the end, they find a cave with thousands or millions of Earth soldiers in cryosleep, waiting to conquer the aliens and start the Second Terrestial empire.

That's about what I can remember!
Join today!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM

From early in the thread...

Sometime in the early 80s I read a short story that was probably in a book of collected short stories. A man has a pregnant wife who is currently out and about while he is in their apartment on New Year's Eve waiting for her to get back home. Some old guy knocks on the door. Turns out he was born last year at the turn of midnight News Year's Eve and has aged over the past year. He's this year's avatar of sorts. He dies at the stroke of midnight. Guy gets a call from his wife - she had gone into labor and delivered at the stroke of midnight. Angst ensues.

I am 100% certain that is a Richard Matheson story. I am 80% certain that it was "Deadline". (Apologies if this was answered upthread.)
Old 08-31-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meurglys View Post
It's Science Fiction Monthly.
I used to have every issue (although most were canaballised to put on my bedroom walls!
Arrrrghhh. Irreplaceable then. Mine were canaballised by other people.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Oh, well, here's a reminder of a couple of pages of the artwork for you, including the center spread from issue # 1...
Pastel City (see also the next photo to the left)
Durdane (The next two photos to the left are related)
Old 08-31-2017, 04:04 PM

A couple of books that I read in middle school that I have always been curious about. Read in mid to late 80s.

1) Sci-fi book about a student taking his final survival training test on a desert planet. He is dropped from a flying ship and has certain period of time to get to their base. He survives sand storms, finds water in plants that store water in pouches in their roots, and exposure. When he finally makes it to the base he finds it taken over by their enemy and has to survive a lot longer and has to rescue his teacher.

2) Fantasy book set in Scotland where a girl visiting her cousins is sent back in time thousands of years when she touches one of the standing stones in a field. I think that she goes back to a druid encampment.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
1) Sci-fi book about a student taking his final survival training test on a desert planet. He is dropped from a flying ship and has certain period of time to get to their base. He survives sand storms, finds water in plants that store water in pouches in their roots, and exposure. When he finally makes it to the base he finds it taken over by their enemy and has to survive a lot longer and has to rescue his teacher.
Thanks
It's been a long time since I read it, but this sounds a bit like The Vandarian Incident by Martyn Godfrey.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaebig View Post
It's been a long time since I read it, but this sounds a bit like The Vandarian Incident by Martyn Godfrey.
Could be (from the brief description here https://www.amazon.ca/Vandarian-inci.../dp/059071080X )
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this half-remembered children's/YA science fiction novel. I'm usually pretty good at tracking these things down on my own, but this one has me stumped. Unfortunately I remember nothing about the title or author. I'm fairly certain that I checked this book out from the school library sometime roughly 1988-1992, probably towards the later end of that period. I don't think the book was very old at the time.

The story was set in a mountainous region, either in the far distant future of earth or on another planet. The main character was a young girl who was something of a misfit. She had an older sibling who was considered "good". Their culture is a strict, puritanical one. Their clothes were mostly made of undyed wool, and they referred to wool from brown and black sheep as "red" and "blue" because that was as colorful as things got around there.

The plot involved an outsider, a woman, coming to this region in search of something or other. I remember wondering if the woman had been the main character in a previous novel, but I don't know if this was the case. Anyway, she became a kind of mentor to the girl and they explored the local caves together. There were machines (mining equipment?) left by a vanished civilization, and the woman knew how to operate them. My recollection of the cover is that it showed the woman, possibly holding up a glowing object, with the mountains in the background.

Towards the end the girls learns that some sort of sinister force (in the caves?) is ruling over the area and her people are serving it. There's a scene set during some local festival where the girl can see that people have been transformed by the influence of this force. I want to say that they have taken on a beast-like appearance.

Last edited by Lamia; 09-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM

I could use help with this one. It's vague as hell.

Post-apoc sci-fi that I read sometime in the 80s or early 90s. I don't remember much but I think it was a cyborg/augmented super soldier type pulp novel and the protagonist is made into a cyborg to fight an enemy (giant bugs?). All I remember is that at one point during his training he's told to turn down the heat in his body as he's melting footsteps into the snow. I know it's not Starship Troopers.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Could be The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

He's not turned into a cyborg, but he is given a suit of power armour.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Late 1960s/early 1970s. High school student is starting to think he might be telepathic. Police state really doesn't like telepaths. Protagonist decides to quietly check out if the library has anything on the topic, and is surprised it has a large collection on the subject. But stranger warns him to stay away -- library is used by police to identify persons showing too much interest.

Protagonist somehow links up with underground group of fellow telepaths, who identify him as some sort of super-telepath. Protagonist uses new-found powers to set up a physic bridge to another planet and/or dimension which the group uses to escape to a better place. (Not in story, but I assume Earth then holds a big party celebrating that those annoying telepaths are now gone.)

Last edited by whitetho; 09-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Could be The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

He's not turned into a cyborg, but he is given a suit of power armour.
Yeah, in Forever War there is a training scene on an iceworld, which might have that footprints bit in it.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Late 1960s/early 1970s. High school student is starting to think he might be telepathic. Police state really doesn't like telepaths. Protagonist decides to quietly check out if the library has anything on the topic, and is surprised it has a large collection on the subject. But stranger warns him to stay away -- library is used by police to identify persons showing too much interest.

Protagonist somehow links up with underground group of fellow telepaths, who identify him as some sort of super-telepath. Protagonist uses new-found powers to set up a physic bridge to another planet and/or dimension which the group uses to escape to a better place. (Not in story, but I assume Earth then holds a big party celebrating that those annoying telepaths are now gone.)
Somewhat similar to The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. If this is correct, you forgot the post-apocalyptic setting, but plot includes:

- young man develops telepathic powers
- authorities hate any deviation from the "true image" of man, telepathy included.
- hooks up with other telepaths
- at the end they escape to another country, where telepaths are welcome.