Old 03-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Yes -- that's obvious. Didn't my post make that clear?
When you said, "the song well predates the movie and the book that was its inspiration," I got confused about "its inspiration" meant the song's inspiration or the movie's inspiration.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A lot of books, working to correct mistakes of the past, point out that the Battle of Bunker Hill was really fought on Breed's Hill.

What they fail to make clear is whether the one with the monument -- which is called the Bunker Hill Monument -- is on Bunker Hill or Breed's Hill. This drove me nuts for a time.

It turns out that a.) The Battle really was fought on Breed's Hill, and b.) That's where the monument is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...reeds_Hill.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunker_Hill_Monument

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...hill-36721984/
I think the confusion of names stems from this being called "The Battle of Bunker Hill" (although both Bunker and Breed's Hill were occupied and fortified), but with the bulk of the fight not surprisingly being on Breed's Hill, closer to Boston and higher. Evidently nobody wanted to change the name, so the Bunker Hill Monument is on Breed's Hill.
That's becuase Breeds hill is smaller than Bunker hill, and at the time of the battler, Breeds Hill wasnt even named (well, I have heard both ways, so this is IIRC). So, they couldnt have called it The Battle of Breeds Hill", not to mention the original objective was Bunker Hill.

Take a look at this period map, there is no Breeds Hill.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oston_crop.jpg
Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
This just occurred to me: The title of Disney's children's film The Lady and The Tramp comes from the (definitely not for children) song The Lady Is A Tramp.
Maybe not a childrens' song, but in its original context the singer is defending the Lady, "tramp" having a connotation different from what we might assume today.
Scientific Proof here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ighlight=tramp
Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
When you said, "the song well predates the movie and the book that was its inspiration," I got confused about "its inspiration" meant the song's inspiration or the movie's inspiration.
And so seeing what you thought was an ambiguity you assumed that I'd gotten wrong what was so plainly stated. That's rather rude.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-26-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
That's becuase Breeds hill is smaller than Bunker hill, and at the time of the battler, Breeds Hill wasnt even named (well, I have heard both ways, so this is IIRC). So, they couldnt have called it The Battle of Breeds Hill", not to mention the original objective was Bunker Hill.

Take a look at this period map, there is no Breeds Hill.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oston_crop.jpg
I find it hard to believe that Breed's hill was anonymous at the time. That would be extremely odd if the larger and more prominent hill wasn't named.

Here's a 1775 clearly showing "Breed's Hill"
https://www.loc.gov/item/today-in-history/june-17/

Interesing note:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2016/07...edia-skirmish/

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-26-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And so seeing what you thought was an ambiguity you assumed that I'd gotten wrong what was so plainly stated. That's rather rude.
This probably isn't worth trying to clear up, but:

At the time I posted, I didn't see ambiguity—I saw you reporting on the dates for the song and the movie, and the only reason I could imagine those dates were relevant was that you were trying to establish which came first. And the only reason I could think that you were doing that was that you mistakenly thought Annie-Xmas was claiming that the song was inspired by the movie.

Only later, after you responded, did I go back and see that I was confused, and why.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
This probably isn't worth trying to clear up, but:

At the time I posted, I didn't see ambiguity—I saw you reporting on the dates for the song and the movie, and the only reason I could imagine those dates were relevant was that you were trying to establish which came first. And the only reason I could think that you were doing that was that you mistakenly thought Annie-Xmas was claiming that the song was inspired by the movie.

Only later, after you responded, did I go back and see that I was confused, and why.
Thank you for that.

I'm sorry -- it seems to me that I've frequently been jumped on by people who misread my posts and are convinced that I am blatantly wrong about something that seems perfectly clear.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, I mean, it can be argued that you did help genocide the Metalunans... and that seems kinda wrong to me, tbh.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-26-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:42 AM

In Pulp Fiction, when Mia is ordering her $5 shake (which I remember sounded expensive at the time but now is considered a reasonable price), Buddy Holly asks her if she wants it "Martin and Lewis or Amos and Andy". I only figured out while watching again last night that he's asking if she wants vanilla or chocolate.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
{...} Buddy Holly asks her if she wants it "Martin and Lewis or Amos and Andy". I only figured out while watching again last night that he's asking if she wants vanilla or chocolate.
I think the duo part might also suggests vanilla ice cream with vanilla syrup or chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup.

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 03-28-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Well, I mean, it can be argued that you did help genocide the Metalunans... and that seems kinda wrong to me, tbh.
Hey! When did Cal Meacham ever kill a Metalunan?

Brak, a Metalunan, tried to zap him with an Interociter, but fortunately failed (although he did get The Professor). Another, The Monitor, tried to have him brain-wiped*. Whereas Cal actually helped the Metalunan War Effort through backstage R&D on Earth (albeit unwittingly).

Cal didn't even kill a Metalunan Mutant -- one was killed by a fortuitously-timed cave-in, the other died of its wounds from the Zagon attack, combined with the pressure change in the ship. When a Metalunan (Exeter) was dying, he even offered to take him to a medical help.

This charge of Metalunan genocide has no legs.

*and clearly didn't recall his earlier existence as reporter Ned "Scotty" Scott in The Thing from Another World, where his forehead wasn't so big.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Ha!

Maybe the rest of humanity wanted to be mind-enslaved by the Metalunans. Maybe Daisy Kalweicki is bored with her life and wouldn't mind becoming 400x smarter and more influential. Who gave you the right to decide for her?

And, sure, the Metalunans plan to enslave all of humanity was extreme, granted, but desperate times called for desperate measures and perhaps they weren't really thinking clearly about all this. But if it weren't for good ol' "Binary Cal" and his them-or-us attitude, we could have brokered some sort of agreement - like, they take over all French people or something. I mean... who in 1955 would turn down that offer? "Let's replace all French people with aliens with kick-ass force-field technology and interstellar flight. They'll still look French, they'll just be smarter!"

You make good points - I mean, yes, Cal didn't kill any Metalunans personally. You know who else didn't murder anybody personally*?

*Technically, tens of billions of people.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-28-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM

In The Shawshank Redemption, the warden finds Andy's Bible in the safe, and finds the rock-hammer-shaped void inside, the bible chapter is Exodus...as in got out.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I had a Jimmy Buffet CD or two. I liked the tunes, but am not a parrothead. Jimmy kept saying things like "take it Carl Reevers!" and "Thank you Carl Reevers!". Only after getting more into his music did I realize it was the Coral Reefers band.

Last edited by DrDeth; 03-28-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Okay, this MIGHT be stretching the definition of "creative work," but: Dunkin' Donuts coffee. I've heard people wax rhapsodic about it and bemoan its lack of availability on the west coast.

I've had it dozens of times because, hey, it's around and it's cheap, but I never got it. Tastes like cheap coffee, one step up from a gas station but a big step down from a decent coffee shop.

But I always got it black. I just recently found out that DD coffee's default is with cream & sugar, and...darn, they changed my mind. Sweet coffee isn't my usual preference, but I'll be darned if DD doesn't have that blend dialed-in perfectly.
To be honest, back in the early 80's, DD coffee was delicious black, so good that I used to buy their beans and grind it at home. I don't remember when it happened but it seemed that they changed suppliers and it became the weak crap you tasted. I miss their old beans. They were incredibly fragrant.
-IQ
Old 03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Until reading some Harry Potter fanfiction I never realized how dark the stories were especially the Dursley's treatment of Harry. There's a lot of controversy about how much Dumbledore knew of the situation, but at the very least he could have called occasionally
Old 03-29-2019, 02:13 PM

It didn't occur to me until today that Vimeo is an anagram of Movie. And also, obviously, suggestive of the word Video, but that thought had occured to me before.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
It didn't occur to me until today that Vimeo is an anagram of Movie. And also, obviously, suggestive of the word Video, but that thought had occured to me before.
I saw the latter, but not the former, until you mentioned it. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 PM

I've sat through the 1931 Dracula only 2 or 3 times. I got it from the library recently to re-watch it. When Renfield arrives at the castle, Dracula descends the stairs to meet him and, after a brief conversation of sorts, climbs back up. When Renfield follows him, he's blocked by spider webs and clears them with his umbrella. For the first time, I finally realized that Dracula was NOT BLOCKED by the webs! (Obviously that's because of his vampire magic.) That's why Renfield looks so apprehensive, not just because of the creepy huge webs!

Last edited by rowrrbazzle; 04-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM

A verse from Rilo Kiley's "A Better Son/Daughter" goes:

And your mother's still calling you insane and high
Swearing it's different this time
And you tell her to give in to the demons that possess her
That God never blessed her insides

I always, for many years, parsed that as "Your mother is saying that you are insane and high" but, after reading an interview or two lately, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be parsed as "Your mother is calling you while insane and high". Jenny Lewis' mother struggled with both mental health issues and drug addiction throughout her life.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Y'all may know me as the most clueless person on the SDMB, the biggest idiot, the most moronic of morons, etc.

If not, you soon will.

I have been an Elton John fan since, I'm pretty sure, 1973. I've loved songs before, but nothing transfixed my 6yo brain more than "Crocodile Rock", a song I could have listened to over and over and over again (and as much as 6 older siblings and 1970s technology allowed, probably did).

A year or two later, I signed up for the Columbia Record House record club, choosing for my 8 LP's for a penny 8 Elton John albums. I put my Dad's name (I wasn't stupid! ) and vowed to be the first at the mailbox every day to get my records... which I was able to pull off.

Tragically for my grand plan, I didn't read the fine print and my ruse was soon discovered when my Dad received a $8 bill for their latest selection "Songs in the Key of Life" (well worth $8, imho).

Regardless, I was a huge EJ fan and remain so today. His "Your Song" is my song for my daughter, Sophia, solely for the line "how wonderful life is, now you're in the world".

I'm saying he's been a thing. And I'm a fuckin' moron.

Sophia buys me a copy of Captain Fantastic, a biography of EJ up through the 1970s (I assume there is a 1980-onward edition coming out). And I'm reading this thing, enjoying it, when I saw it.

In a passage about what EJ watched on TV as a kid, two names were mentioned. One was some British guy who I never heard of before (I'll see if I can remember to get it when I get back to the book). The other?

Wait for it...

Liberace

I'm fucking mortified. HOW, in my 46-odd years of fandom, DID I NOT REALIZE THIS? I mean... who else did Elton John watch as a kid? OF. COURSE.

I sit here... in my eternal shame... wondering how I never made this connection.

Hey, hey, Johnny, indeed.

Last edited by JohnT; 04-05-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 PM

The recent demise of "The Ghoul" reminded me of the film "Last Man on Earth", staring Vincent Price. "LMOE" was, arguably, the first "modern" zombie movie, predating "Night of the Living Dead" by four years.

It suddenly occurred to me that the character "Morgan" in "Walking Dead" may have been named as an homage to Price's character. Both, when first encountered, were holed up in a house with their somewhat deceased spouse walking, er, shambling about outside.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
The recent demise of "The Ghoul" reminded me of the film "Last Man on Earth", staring Vincent Price. "LMOE" was, arguably, the first "modern" zombie movie, predating "Night of the Living Dead" by four years.

invisible Invaders preceded Last Man on Earth by five years. I've argued several times on this Board that I think it was a big influence on Romero's movie.

Romero, however, actually said that LMOE and Matheson's original novel were his inspiration for Night of the LIving Dead. I'll point out that Matheson's novel portrayed the monsters as modern-day vampires, rather than zombies, even using them to give a "scientific" inspiration for vampire myths. it's possible that Romero was sidestepping the comparison to Invisible Invaders to avoid any kind of legal dispute.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
invisible Invaders preceded Last Man on Earth by five years. I've argued several times on this Board that I think it was a big influence on Romero's movie.

Romero, however, actually said that LMOE and Matheson's original novel were his inspiration for Night of the LIving Dead. I'll point out that Matheson's novel portrayed the monsters as modern-day vampires, rather than zombies, even using them to give a "scientific" inspiration for vampire myths. it's possible that Romero was sidestepping the comparison to Invisible Invaders to avoid any kind of legal dispute.
I know that about the vampirism angle, but the creatures in LMOE were more like zombies behaviorally than they were like vampires. As depicted in most films, vampires are still able to fake being regular humans. When I describe LMOE to folks who haven't seen it, I generally call them "stupid zombie-vampires".
Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

A year or two later, I signed up for the Columbia Record House record club, choosing for my 8 LP's for a penny 8 Elton John albums. I put my Dad's name (I wasn't stupid! ) and vowed to be the first at the mailbox every day to get my records... which I was able to pull off.

Tragically for my grand plan, I didn't read the fine print and my ruse was soon discovered when my Dad received a $8 bill for their latest selection "Songs in the Key of Life" (well worth $8, imho).

Heh. You will absolutely love this clip from the Coen Bros, with Santana, rather than Elton John.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:53 PM

I have probably heard, "Changes," by YES, at least 1000 times. But I did not realize, until I took a music appreciation class and had to sit and listen to the song several times that the cacophony of sound in the beginning of the song represented the birth process. The tempo and beat of the song starts out as vibrant and fast. It slows down through out the song, murmurs and finally stops at the end. This is to represent life. Then, the cacophony at the end of the song represents the moment of death.

Should I include a link to the song here? You should have no troubles finding it on Youtube...

Last edited by Ficer67; 04-23-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I've read the Fables comic book series. Today I was reading Jess Nevins's annotations of the series. Somehow I had never realized that the Farm in the series is intended as a homage to George Orwell's Animal Farm (which I have also read).
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Heh. You will absolutely love this clip from the Coen Bros, with Santana, rather than Elton John.
I guess the obvious thing to notice is that they are not really talking about the Columbia Record Club and Santana; they are discussing Abraxas (God):

“I didn't ask for Abraxas... I don't want Abraxas... I didn't listen to Abraxas... I didn't do anything!

“We can't make you listen...”

Last edited by DPRK; 04-23-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficer67 View Post
I have probably heard, "Changes," by YES, at least 1000 times. But I did not realize, until I took a music appreciation class and had to sit and listen to the song several times that the cacophony of sound in the beginning of the song represented the birth process. The tempo and beat of the song starts out as vibrant and fast. It slows down through out the song, murmurs and finally stops at the end. This is to represent life. Then, the cacophony at the end of the song represents the moment of death.

Should I include a link to the song here? You should have no troubles finding it on Youtube...
How weird. I listened to it twice this morning on the way to work. I guess I'll listen to it a couple more times on the way home.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I've read the Fables comic book series. Today I was reading Jess Nevins's annotations of the series. Somehow I had never realized that the Farm in the series is intended as a homage to George Orwell's Animal Farm (which I have also read).

I love ‘Fables’.

I should catch up on that.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 PM

I'm almost ashamed about this one because I didn't realize it until I was almost 40.

Even though they take place in different settings, Cool Hand Luke and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest basically have the same plot. Their main characters also parallel one another (e.g., Luke=McMurphy, Dragline=Chief, The Captain=Nurse Ratched).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 05-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
I love ‘Fables’.

I should catch up on that.
The problem I have with Fables is similar to the one I have with Cerebus. The author went so far off the rails in the latter parts of the series that it retroactively ruined the early parts of the series for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
The problem I have with Fables is similar to the one I have with Cerebus. The author went so far off the rails in the latter parts of the series that it retroactively ruined the early parts of the series for me.

I guess you’re saying that I shouldn’t catch up with it. Maybe best leave we’ll enough alone.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Recently this album, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ram, came up in my YouTube recommendations and while not an above-average album it did upwardly revise my previous mediocre opinion of Ram Jam, but that's neither here nor there. I thought the album cover was an original visual pun since it is literally the portrait of an artist as a young ram, which references both the name of the novel, and the way that such a self-portraits might be titled.

Then I realized that the reference, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, is itself titled in the style of an literal painting in addition to being a metaphorical portrait
Old 05-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Billy Joel’s “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” - the singer meets with his old friend, they decide what the have (“....a bottle of red, a bottle of white”), they catch up with each other (“...things are OK with me these days”), and then they begin to reminisce about the old days with Brenda and Eddie.

But just before the Brenda and Eddie part of the song begins, Joel plays a few measures with a fast bass line with a series of quick cascading or descending passages on the higher keys.

It recently occurred to me that Billy was mimicking that cliched harp sound that signals a flashback scene in a movie! (Think of Wayne and Garth’s “doodle-doo doodle-doo doodle-doo” sound to indicate a flashback.)

Was this obvious to everyone? Or am I reading too much into a quick piano solo?
when it's really the Voice of God?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 PM

It took me a long time to realize that "A Bug's Life" is a comic version of "Seven Samurai."