Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 PM

And a new episode, "Gem Harvest", airs this Thursday. Another new episode, "Three Gems And A Baby", airs on December 1.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:58 PM

Well, I had no idea that "Gem Harvest" would actually be a half-hour episode. It throws a pretty big curveball into what looked to be a straightforward episode about Steven visiting Peridot and Lapis Lazuli at the barn when when one of Greg's relatives literally drops in from out of the blue. One of the few major episodes of the show where the reveal is not about the gems, but about Greg.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:47 PM

It was a very different episode than the title suggested.

I LOLed at Steven thinking LeMayo is a cooler name than Universe. Aside from that, I was quite 'meh' about the episode...pretty standard 'Steven breaks through the grumpy character's hard exterior' episode, but I didn't find Uncle Alan interesting enough to want to see that. Or like him even the slightest bit on either side of the softening.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:25 PM

It was a Thanksgiving holiday episode, down to the thanks at the table, to the estranged family getting together and bonding, to complaining about the loss of traditions, to the bounty of the land shared by newcomer and established inhabitant alike (even though each were both in this case). All the Thanksgiving episode tropes chopped up and stuffed into a bit of a turkey.

The cutest part to me was the pumpkin's reaction to Steven's carving a regular pumpkin. Maybe a bit of a shout out to the Peanuts bit when Lucy dumps out the pumpkin guts and Linus reacts with horror: "You didn't tell me you were going to kill it!".
Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
It was a very different episode than the title suggested.

I LOLed at Steven thinking LeMayo is a cooler name than Universe. Aside from that, I was quite 'meh' about the episode...pretty standard 'Steven breaks through the grumpy character's hard exterior' episode, but I didn't find Uncle Alan interesting enough to want to see that. Or like him even the slightest bit on either side of the softening.
The politics of this episode were THICK...especially given the election results.
Uncle Alan is absolutely an angry white male who is raging and unhappy with the progress and changes "hippies" have made to what he sees as HIS land. When things stop being about HIM and his feelings and he is no longer the center he reacts negatively and lashes out.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
The politics of this episode were THICK...especially given the election results.
Uncle Alan is absolutely an angry white male who is raging and unhappy with the progress and changes "hippies" have made to what he sees as HIS land. When things stop being about HIM and his feelings and he is no longer the center he reacts negatively and lashes out.
Yeah, that was quite on the nose as well. Not to say that I didn't like it, mind.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:42 PM

Actually, I was kind of thinking that this was one of those situations where the designated bad guy was mostly right- As far as we know, Greg had no more right to the barn than Alan, so even though it wasn't being used, it wasn't right to just give it away. And Alan, while abrasive, was not overreacting when he found strangers living there. Once he figured everything out, he was fairly reasonable. Also, makes me wonder about Greg's history- apparently after he left home, he was out of contact for twenty years. Not indicative of a loving family background.
And again, we see the ease at which humans accept weirdness- upon meeting aliens for the first time, Alan is utterly unimpressed.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Andy* seems at least as estranged from the family as Greg. After Steven gets through to him, he laments not going to visit everybody, despite the plane meaning he had the means to do so. Also, Greg's been living in Beach City, near the barn, for 13 years. Greg had settled near at least part of the family - significantly, Andy's branch - while Andy was off doing Andy things.

* Just rewatched the last bit of the episode to confirm what he actually said, and Steven called him 'Uncle Andy'...oopsy on my memory.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 11-21-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM

It took me awhile but I finally caught up to this show. Random thoughts:

1. The gem house is held up to the crystal temple's womb. Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere but I can't not see it. Given all the themes about motherhood and fusion this doesn't seem accidental.

2. I'm guessing the finale will be Steven and the rest of Beach City fusing together to fight the big bad.

3. When I think about or read arguments about the dual nature of Steven or how Rose plays into it I think of early Christian arguments about the nature of Christ and his relation to the Trinity.

4. I've only dipped my toe into the fandom a little, but the amount of political landmines and potential flame war controversies is impressive for a children's show. The common assertion that the gems are agender is an odd one. Asexual, maybe. They present as female, have female voices, use female pronouns, their ruling caste is called a matriarchy, and though considered unusual Rose was able to give birth. Maybe it's to dodge accusations of lesbianism, though I doubt moral guardians would make such a fine distinction when female characters are making out or holding hands under a starry night sky.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Just some thought about the last two episodes:

-I'm not surprised Greg and Steven have a relative like Andy (doesn't everyone?), but it's kind of odd that someone travels the world by biplane would be so parochial.
-Pearl wins the episode with "Why don't we all marry each other?"
-Amethyst with the bad case of heartburn.

-The Gems are a lot more welcoming to Greg staying at the temple than they were in "House Guest"
-So Garnet didn't unfuse in front of Steven until he was thirteen because she frightened him as a baby?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:02 PM

A five-episode Stevenbomb has been announced for January 30. Episodes are:

-Steven's Dream
-Adventures in Light Distortion
-Gem Heist
-The Zoo
-That Will Be All

I'm betting that Steven and the Gems will be using the spaceship they took off the Ruby Squad in this block of episodes.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:48 PM

Since Steven Universe is on hiatus until January 30, I guess there's nothing to do but speculate.

Am I the only one who thinks that there is more to Dr. Maheshwaran than meets the eye? Let's run down some things I've noticed about her.

-She was originally shown as a safety-obsessed parent, but "Gem Hunt" hints that the Maheshwarans are survivalists. I doubt that Connie's rant about peak oil and being prepared for the collapse of civilization is something she came up with on her own.

-Sure, the Maheshwarans are safety-first, but does anyone think it's a little weird that Dr. Maheshwaran has a specific hangup about Connie playing with swords?

-Connie's parents are pretty blase about sitting down to dinner with a giant six-armed fusion. Just being polite or is it because they already know what Malachite is?

-Obviously, Dr. Priyanka Maheshwaran is Indian. She doesn't speak with an accent, so she was either born in the US or emigrated as a child. What has the show shown us about India so far?

--The airplane in "Steven Floats" is a "Dhawar Airlines" plane. Dhawar is a region in India. Interestingly, the airline logo is four diamonds in shades of pink.

--Some of the fusion designs, specifically Opal, Sugilite, and the Temple statue, look to be inspired by Hindu goddesses. Rebecca Sugar said that Opal was originally posed/animated to specifically be reminiscent of Hindu temple statuary when she manifested and made her weapon before dropping the idea.

-- Connie's training outfit (and hair braid) is that of a female practitioner of kalripayattu, and Indian martial art that involves sword training. But wouldn't that be an unusual thing for her to have? I'm thinking the outfit is from Dr. Maheshwaran's childhood, and she was actually

I posit that humans in other parts of the world had a very different history with gemkind than the people of Beach City and that gems might be more remembered and understood in different parts of the world. People in India remember the Diamond Authority and have been training and preparing for the possibility of Homeworld's return (doomsday) for thousands of years. and Dr. Maheshwaran was a part of that tradition in her childhood and left that behind after coming to America.

Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 AM

That's quite a theory, but I don't really find sufficient evidence for it - Connie is intelligent enough to have worked out the prepping thing herself, and also to be interested in aspects of her own culture like kalaripayattu, without her parents being the direct impetus. Why would the Dr still have a kiddie martial arts outfit for her daughter if she's so overprotective?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 AM

Connie is intelligent enough to learn from books about survival methods and techniques. I doubt she would have absorbed the doomsday prepper mentality just from reading a book.

I think the kalaripayattu outfit actually was Dr. Maheshwaran's from her own childhood. Either Connie found it rummaging in the attic or her mom dug it out of mothballs and gave it to her once she gave her blessing for Connie's training. Even if Connie developed an interest on her own, where would she even get a kalaripayattu outfit in Beach City?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:40 AM

And Dr. Maheshwaran was right after all about Universe not being Steven's real last name.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
I doubt she would have absorbed the doomsday prepper mentality just from reading a book.
...and being friends with a guy who, you know, saves the world from total destruction on the regular...
Quote:
I think the kalaripayattu outfit actually was Dr. Maheshwaran's from her own childhood.
Is there any in-show indication for this?
Quote:
Even if Connie developed an interest on her own, where would she even get a kalaripayattu outfit in Beach City?
Yeah, it's not like she hangs out with people (and lions) who can teleport all over the globe...

...or, you know, can access the internet.

Anyway, the tradition kalaripayattu outfit is like a dhoti or langot, neither of which are actually fitted trousers. They're more like loincloths and made from a single length of cloth.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
...and being friends with a guy who, you know, saves the world from total destruction on the regular...
Do you think that's the mindset she's picked up from hanging around Steven and the Gems? Anyways, Steven asked her point blank if her way of thinking came from a fear of a Homeworld invasion and she said no, that civilization's collapse will come from peak oil or environmental catastrophe. Connie might have been scared by reading an adult-level book, but if her family is super-prepared enough to have a home defibrillator, I would suspect them of being preppers in general.

Quote:
Is there any in-show indication for this?
Nope. Which is why I said it was a theory. There is also no in-show indications that it is, in fact, a Kalaripyattu outfit. Connie could just be doing Dragonball Z cosplay.

Quote:
Yeah, it's not like she hangs out with people (and lions) who can teleport all over the globe
...or, you know, can access the internet.
Connie's parents were in super-strict mode when she started training with Pearl, so I doubt they gave her a credit card to order stuff off the internet. Lion can get Steven to where he needs to go somehow, but I doubt he would respond to a prompt like,:Lion, take us to India", and Connie wasn't really hanging out with the Gems before Sworn to the Sword.

Anyway, "Steven Floats" was the episode that got me thinking about this. I don't think the crew inserting an Indian-based plane with a four-diamond logo in shades of pink can be chalked up to coincidence. IIRC, except for the rancid burrito from Aqua Mexico that Amethyst got sick from, this was the first reference to a foreign country in the show.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
A five-episode Stevenbomb has been announced for January 30. Episodes are:

-Steven's Dream
-Adventures in Light Distortion
-Gem Heist
-The Zoo
-That Will Be All

I'm betting that Steven and the Gems will be using the spaceship they took off the Ruby Squad in this block of episodes.
These five episodes have all been leaked. Preview clips were supposed to have been uploaded to the Cartoon Network app, but instead the whole episodes were uploaded. They actually showed up on my Time-Warner On Demand listings, so I watched them.

Won't spoil, but if you think Season 4 has been slow and lacking in episodes that add to the show's lore and/or advance the show's plot, this Steven Bomb will more than make up for it.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:25 PM

Steven Bomb 5 starts on Monday.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:32 PM

And two episodes scheduled in February after the Stevenbomb:

"The New Crystal Gems" on Feburary 16

"Storm in the Room" on Feburary 23
Old 02-08-2017, 11:15 PM

I'm surprised no one commented on it yet, but last Stevenbomb 5 dropped last week. Titled "Out of This World", it's a five episode event that's the tightest-plotted Stevenbomb yet, as the episodes create a five-part story. The first episode is the set-up, the second is the journey to their destination, and the next three are the resolution leading to a highly-satisfying conclusion.

"Out of This World" featured a LOT of stuff that I had hoped to see: Steven visits a foreign country (Korea), speaking parts for Blue Diamond and Blue Pearl, the Crystal Gems firing up the Ruby ship and going off into space (with cameos from Army, Navy, and Doc), Yellow Diamond's anticipated song (with Yellow Pearl and Blue Pearl), and a whole bunch of new characters both Gem and Human. We get a cathartic moment for Steven when he realizes that his rush to get into space to rescue Greg (without bothering to listen to Peridot's warning about the Gravity Engine) might doom everyone, Amethyst at last meets other Amethysts and is accepted by them, and Pearl gets one of her best moments in the series when she gives Holly Blue Agate (hisss!) her comeuppance at the end of the arc.

Memorable moments from this Steven Bomb:

-Angry Steven! He's never gotten this angry at Pearl and Garnet.
-Salty Pearl after Holly Blue treats her like a dimwitted servant.
-Palan-KEEN. I've actually always thought it was Palan-KWIN.
-"Why doesn't Peridot tell us anything? This is why we don't listen to her!"
-The Crystal Gems have gotten a little better act acting and lying, but only succeed because -Holly Blue is so oblivious
-Sapphire *winking*, and Steven and Pearl not getting it initially.
-"Shoulders squared! Minds cleared! Backs straight!"". Holly Blue's like a PE teacher at a school for delinquent girls....
-"There's always a catch to these Utopias." Greg seemed pretty chill with the Zoo until the Choosening.
-"Famethyst for Life". Really want to see them again.
-Kudos to Deedee Magno Hall and Michaela Dietz for playing so many roles.
-This was only Greg's third wildest weekend?
-I guess Greg lost his spiffy new watch in space.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
-Palan-KEEN. I've actually always thought it was Palan-KWIN.
Same...this is the second thing I have learned because of SU (the other being that amethyst and jasper are types of quartz).

The Choosening cracked me up, until Greg's rejection made all the Zoomans sad. This show is so good at turning on an emotional dime. (Also, I called them Zoomans immediately before Greg did, so that made me laugh even more.)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:12 AM

The problem with these episodes having been leaked ...

Very well done bomb.

So who exactly was the cartoonist drawing Greg in Korea?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post

The Choosening cracked me up, until Greg's rejection made all the Zoomans sad. This show is so good at turning on an emotional dime. (Also, I called them Zoomans immediately before Greg did, so that made me laugh even more.)
The best part of that sequence was the Amethysts trying to console the distraught Zoomans.

"I'll never choosen again!"
"Sure you will."
Old 02-09-2017, 10:19 PM

Also, Cartoon Network has put Steven Universe back on weekly schedule, with episodes scheduled for the next four weeks. They've also moved Steven Universe to FRIDAY, with the first episode schedule to air TOMORROW (Feb 10th).

Scheduled episodes are:

-The New Crystal Gems
-Storm in the Room
-Rocknaldo
-Tiger Philantrhopist
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
It took me awhile but I finally caught up to this show. Random thoughts:

1. The gem house is held up to the crystal temple's womb. Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere but I can't not see it. Given all the themes about motherhood and fusion this doesn't seem accidental.

2. I'm guessing the finale will be Steven and the rest of Beach City fusing together to fight the big bad.

3. When I think about or read arguments about the dual nature of Steven or how Rose plays into it I think of early Christian arguments about the nature of Christ and his relation to the Trinity.
1. The temple entrance is also where Rose's gem would be.

2. Yep. Steven spent a lot of time from the Summer of Steven on healing rifts and solving problems for the people of Beach City and he has about a 100% approval rating. I'm thinking Steven (or Stevonnie) and the human cast will fuse into a giant fleshy Voltron and hopefully punch Yellow Diamond in the face.

3. Did you see Three Gems and a Baby, where Greg, wrapped in a light blue blanket, holds Baby Steven and The Three Wise Gems bring Baby Steven gifts?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Running behind on these. When I read the one line preview episode description, I pretty much predicted that "The New Crystal Gems" would feature Peridot pushily taking charge because Connie is deferential to Gems and Lapis is indifferent, but this would lead to conflict and/or disaster before they make up and resolve.

Surprisingly, a lot of the fandom hated this episode, mostly because of how Lapis was characterized, but I liked it a lot. I'm willing to cut the staff some slack on bending characterizations for the sake of comedy/parody, as they have made it clear they are making a cartoon and will go off plot or characterization for the sake of humor. Also, I, for one, don't expect every appearance of a character over a long series to be part of a progressing arc of character development. I also don't expect every appearance of a character with a traumatic past to be about dealing with the trauma.

Addressing some specific complaints the fandom has had about this episode:

-Lapis being callous towards Connie: I wouldn't consider them as actually having "met" in Ocean Gem, as Lapis was technically miles away on top of a column of water. Lapis is famously aloof towards towards others and hostile towards those she sees as invading her space. I can also see her being frosty towards other friends of Steven. She's willing to share him with Peridot ad his family (The Crystal Gems & Greg) but she seems to see Steven as HER true, special friend. I took "I almost drowned a lot of people" as one of Lapis' off-putting jokes rather than a callous statement.

-Lapis and Peridot fighting: Just because they have been shown getting along well doesn't mean they will always get along. I got along well with my sister growing up, but that doesn't mean we didn't have spats. Even in "Beta/Earthlings", I thought Lapis was partially humoring Peridot.

-Lapis is aloof! She would never act silly!: I would say that because she is so aloof is why she got carried away once she lowered her inhibitions.

I thought this was the funniest episode since "Restaurant Wars" or even "Hit The Diamond"

Highlights:
-"There is no Amethyst, only Garnet."
-Connie is Steven's third best firend
-Peridot's horror at being compared to Pearl.
-Everything Pumpkin does.
-Connie calling them out as superpowered children.
-Lapis' Amethyst impression
-"She didn't even cry."
-Peridot's metal bending has come a long way.
-Peridot not realizing that being called bossy is not a compiiment.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:45 PM

"The New Crystal Gems" was a lightweight comedic reprieve. Peridot in toilet bowl was cute. But it was the fluff tension reliever after the major arc building bomb.

And tension release fluff was needed before moving into the moody psychological set piece of "Storm in the Room". Rose in the room ... is how Steven thinks of his mother in all of its conflicted confusion ... but since, as Rose in the room pointed out, she (her gem, her essence) is within him, Rose in the room is perhaps somewhat more than that?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:39 AM

Aand another filler ep, this one without much merit on its own. Maybe setting up something for the future?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM

Been a while since I've updated the thread, so I'm not going to give a complete overview of the last several episodes. I will note that the first four episodes after the "Out of This World" Stevenbomb ("The New Crystal Gems", "Storm In The Room", "Rocknaldo", and "Tiger Philanthropist"), despite seeming a disconnected lot, are all very meta.

-"The New Crystal Gems" is an entire episode about Peridot, Lapis, and Connie pretending to be the Crystal Gems and and trying to act like how they think Garnet, Amethyst, and Steven would act. The bonus is that Shelby "Peridot" Rabara initially auditioned to play Garnet and Jennifer "Lapis Lazuli" Paz originally auditioned to play Amethyst.

-"Storm In The Room" is meta in the sense that the room creates Stevens perception of something, not what it actually is. It originally created a Rose Quartz that was almost a pastiche of what Steven believed a mother should be (and off-model to boot). Only after Steven tells Rose she's not his mother does the room provide any insight ( and is on-model after the storm), although that comes from Steven himself.

-"Rocknaldo" was partially a commentary on toxic fandom, with Ronaldo insisting that he is more of a Crystal Gem than Steven as a commentary on fans who insist they understand a work more than creators.

-"Tiger Philanthropist" is a gentler commentary on fandom, with Lars standing in for the fan who doesn't know what he really wants, but whatever you got, he's against it.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM

You forgot "Room for Ruby", in which we discover that just because Rubies are dumb doesn't mean they're stupid.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
You forgot "Room for Ruby", in which we discover that just because Rubies are dumb doesn't mean they're stupid.
And brings up the question, "how do gems steer in space?", since they seem to be able to target locations on earth very precisely without the help of a spaceship.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Didn't forget about it, but it didn't really fit in with the other four episodes as meta. I'm torn about this episode, as Steven could really have used a victory in recruiting a new Crystal Gem after his failures. However, while Navy is a cutie-patootie, she would be very grating as a regular character.

I wonder if Navy was lying about everything. Did she really like playing baseball? Was she really impressed by rain?

Of course, this episode has implications far beyond the events of this episode. Assuming Navy can find the rest of her squad and report back to homeworld, the Diamonds will soon find out that a) There are still Crystal Gems on Earth b) Exactly where they are on Earth and c) Steven has Rose Quartz' gem.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
And brings up the question, "how do gems steer in space?", since they seem to be able to target locations on earth very precisely without the help of a spaceship.
For all we know, navy could have been aiming for the barn and hit the beach. Actually, I suspect that gems have a sort of internal navigation ability. Gems already have a lot of latent sensory abilities, such as sensing gravity and the sensory input they would need for shapeshifting.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Which was creepier?

Eyeball's leering expression when she said she was going to get her own Pearl OR

Navy's expression when she explains her ruse to Steven.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 PM

Well, "Lion 4: Alternate Ending" was supposed to air this week, but Cartoon Network pulled it and put Steven Universe back on hiatus. CN probably has an important Teen Titans Go marathon to air.

Cartoon Network has alos expressed concern about Steven Universe's declining ratings, which I'm sure have nothing to do with the constant scheduling jerk-around the show gets
Old 03-22-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Well, "Lion 4: Alternate Ending" was supposed to air this week, but Cartoon Network pulled it and put Steven Universe back on hiatus. CN probably has an important Teen Titans Go marathon to air.

Cartoon Network has alos expressed concern about Steven Universe's declining ratings, which I'm sure have nothing to do with the constant scheduling jerk-around the show gets
"Look there's a new Stephen Universe in the DVR! When did that show up?" isn't doing their Live+3 rating any favors.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 PM

Yes, yet another episode has been leaked in its entirety. "Lion 4: Alternate Ending", which doesn't even have an airdate scheduled yet, is up on Youtube.

Meanwhile, the show's ratings have been dropping like a rock, enough that Cartoon Network is very concerned and people are starting to worry about cancellation.

Gee, you think that between the constant episode leaks, constant long hiatuses followed by bombs, and constant screwing with the scheduling (My recent favorite is arbitrarily pushing back "Room for Ruby" by half-an-hour to show more Teen Titans Go! reruns. Cuz Cartoon Network just doesn't show enough Teen Titans Go!) could have something to do with the ratings?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 PM

Yes, we have yet another Steven Bomb on the horizon, starting on May 15.

Here are the dates, episode titles, and summaries:

“Lion 4: Alternate Ending” - (5/15/2017)
“Doug Out” - (5/16/2017) - Steven and Connie join Connie’s father on a stake out.
“The Good Lars” - (5/17/2017) - Steven, Lars and Sadie get invited to a party with the Cool Kids.
“Are You My Dad?” - (5/18/2017) - People disappearing from Beach City, and Steven tries to solve the mystery.
“I Am My Mom” - (5/19/2017) - Steven struggles to fix his mistakes.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:51 PM

Stevenbomb 6 has been moved up to start on May 8, and will take the show to the end of Season 4. Here's the promo.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Just as a reminder, Stevenbomb Six starts on Monday. However, the entire bomb has been leaked to the Cartoon Network App and to Cartoon Network On Demand this weekend, so the eps are probably all over the internet by now as well. I watched it straight through, but I won't spoil it until broadcast.

Meanwhile, CN execs wonder why-oh-why the broadcast ratings for Steven Universe keep getting worse and worse.....
Old 05-06-2017, 11:16 PM

TV Guide lists titles and airdates for four post-bomb episodes:

"Stuck Together" and "The Trial" on 5/31
"Off Color" and "Lars' Head" on 6/1.

These eps are still part of Season 4.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
TV Guide lists titles and airdates for four post-bomb episodes:

"Stuck Together" and "The Trial" on 5/31
"Off Color" and "Lars' Head" on 6/1.

These eps are still part of Season 4.
They end the bomb like that and make us wait until 5/31?

Oh maaan.

Note - legally watched per "on demand".

SPOILER:
Lars will have a chance at redemption. He's still on the ship I think.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
They end the bomb like that and make us wait until 5/31?

Oh maaan.

Note - legally watched per "on demand".

SPOILER:
Lars will have a chance at redemption. He's still on the ship I think.
SPOILER:
You're darn right he's still in the ship. He went down the stairs away from the exit when he flaked out.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Well Stevenbomb Six started off with "Lion 4: Alternate Ending", a one-off, unconnected episode where Steven hashes over stuff he already hashed over in "Storm in the Room". Steven's still convinced that Rose had some grand design for him, so when he pesters Lion enough, Lion produces a large pink key from his mane. First thought is that it opens the locked chest inside Lion's mane, but that's not it. Lion takes Steven to the desert, where it turns out Rose had a storage shed full of junk that the key unlocks. Rose and Greg really were made for each other! Steven is not happy about this, but he finds a videotape labeled "For Nora". He freaks out about this, but then goes to Greg, who explained that Nora was the name he and Rose chose for a girl baby. The tape is mostly the same as is tape. Steven is reassured that the only purpose of his creation was for him to be Rose and Greg's child.

-The spoky end credit music is starting to unnerve me. I swear I can almost see something moving towards Beach City down from the lighthouse in the shot.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

What the heck? "Stuck Together" is already up legally On Demand?!?! And it's on the CN website.

(That's the Season 5 opener scheduled to lead off the next Stevenbomb on Memorial Day)

I guess live feed premiere ratings really are irrelevant now. Which sort of explains why the live feed has turned into the Teen Titans Go/Gumball rerun stream.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Well Stevenbomb Six started off with "Lion 4: Alternate Ending", a one-off, unconnected episode where Steven hashes over stuff he already hashed over in "Storm in the Room". Steven's still convinced that Rose had some grand design for him, so when he pesters Lion enough, Lion produces a large pink key from his mane. First thought is that it opens the locked chest inside Lion's mane, but that's not it. Lion takes Steven to the desert, where it turns out Rose had a storage shed full of junk that the key unlocks. Rose and Greg really were made for each other! Steven is not happy about this, but he finds a videotape labeled "For Nora". He freaks out about this, but then goes to Greg, who explained that Nora was the name he and Rose chose for a girl baby. The tape is mostly the same as is tape. Steven is reassured that the only purpose of his creation was for him to be Rose and Greg's child.

-The spoky end credit music is starting to unnerve me. I swear I can almost see something moving towards Beach City down from the lighthouse in the shot.
To me not so "one-off, unconnected". It's both a major part of Steven's character development (stylized adolescent work) and exploring what has been a major question of plot for the whole series.

"Storm in the Room" helped Steven get past the idealizing Rose phase and he's realized that she was not the perfect being. He's moved past anger mourning the ideal parent and into acceptance.

But he was hanging onto wanting trying to fulfill the destiny that his mother had in mind for him (if only he could know what it was), to meeting the expectation, especially of his mother but to some degree of what he perceives as what the other Gems think. For him to grow to a point of further accepting that Rose had no grand plan for him, that his future and what he's supposed to do is up to him, to lose that dependency on his mother (and the Gems) for directionality ... a big deal in the emotional arc.

And of course that is a big question in the plot arc for many of us. Did Rose have some plan by giving up her form so that a Gem-human hybrid could exist?
Old 05-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Never mind. I see from the promos they've changed the next four episodes of the arc from the bomb format to a "one hour special event" broadcasting all episodes Memorial Day. And they're advertising "the first 10 minutes" is available as a sneak peak. From a promotion standpoint, that makes a lot more sense.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
And of course that is a big question in the plot arc for many of us. Did Rose have some plan by giving up her form so that a Gem-human hybrid could exist?
I don't think she did. She certainly had a legacy she wanted to leave behind for Steven, and placed it in way that would only be accessible to him when he was ready, but that's the same as a plan. I think the only thing she wanted Steven to take care of as far as her unfinished business was freeing Bismuth.

I think that if Rose had in any way known about the Cluster or that Homeworld would return to Earth after 5,000 years, she never would have had Steven, as that would have left the Earth and her friends undefended. I think that she had had these notions of being "reborn" as human, and her relationship with Greg and being around other humans and babies strengthened them.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Trying to bang these out and catch up before the 4-episode event on Memorial Day....

As for the rest of Stevenbomb 6, two episodes were loosely tied the the Bomb in that they were basically Beach City episodes with an ominous foreshadowing at the end. The final two episodes bring everything to a head, and then leave us with an actual season-ending cliffhanger.

"Doug Out" and "The Good Lars" actually work really well just as Beach City episodes, so I'll start with them here . "Doug Out" is Mr. Maheshwaren's first appearance in several seasons and his first ever appearance without the Doctor. Judging by how he acts in this episode, I'm guessing the Connie's mom is the one responsible for the strict discipline.
I found his lines even funnier when he was trying to be serious ("Funland Incorporated is not responsible for the harm that may occur if you try to operate a deep fryer without a license!") The Connie-and-her-dad stuff was cute.

"The Good Lars" shows the Lars has come a long way since "The New Lars", at least as far as opening up to Steven and Sadie. He's still so consumed by social anxiety and striving to fit in that he can't see what's in front of his face. Oddly, as much as he lacks confidence in his social standing, he is absolutely confident about his baking skills. For all the focus on Lars, Sadie is the character who develops in this episode.

-Where in the world is Veronica Cucamonga?
-Onion mimed out what happened to him pretty accurately. Too bad Steven can't understand his language.
-So Doug let Onion off the hook. but left him alone in the middle of the night in an deserted amusement park?
-"Everyone's gong to know I love baking, and everyone's going to know I love..."
-This ep confirms Lars as at least part Filipino. The purple yam is used in SE Asia, but ube is the Tagalog term.
-If you want to try ube desserts for yourself, get thee to a Jollibee. The Filipino-American chain has an Ube Pearl Cooler and ube is part of the Halo Halo as well.
-Looks like Buck is still taking guitar lessons (and still wearing his Guitar Dad T-shirt).
-You can see the painting Vidalia made of scantily-clad Yellowtail back in "Onion Gang" on the wall behind the chair.