Old 05-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Further proof we got conned. Another ghost writer talks about how Trump spent more time looking at fabric swatches because he didn't know how to run a business.

He faked his own credentials and got banks interested in loaning him money. He just cons, abrogates, then ties up the courts in logjams. He never stays around to witness the trainwrecks. That's what winners do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Leerhson
He’d talk about the Yankees, show me pictures of Marla Maples (whom he was then romancing while still married to Ivana) and tell me obviously made-up stories, such as how he had just the other day seen a beautiful, completely naked woman on the street. “Put that in the book!” he’d say, and I’d pretend to write it down.
Too bad he didn't include it in the book. Maybe then enough fewer people would have voted for him to make the EC work right.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:52 PM

I sold a copy of this book today. I'm happy about the sale, but not so happy about the fact that the "spectacular fall" wasn't permanent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067173735X
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Cheeto credits himself for recent Red Sox wins

Quote:
“Has anyone noticed that all the Boston @RedSox have done is WIN since coming to the White House! Others also have done very well. The White House visit is becoming the opposite of being on the cover of Sports Illustrated! By the way, the Boston players were GREAT guys!”
Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post

"Has anyone noticed how the SUN comes up EVERY MORNING since your FAVORITE PRESIDENT became PRESIDENT! And how gravity keeps things sitting right on the ground! Crooked Hillary couldn't have done that! WINNING!"*

*This is not a real tweet from The Donald. Just in case anyone was wondering.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM

It is also amazing how American football teams have won the Superbowl every year Trump has been in office.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetolini
By the way, the Boston players were GREAT guys!
"Well, the white ones who showed up, anyway..."
Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
"Well, the white ones who showed up, anyway..."
Those are the only ones who counted anyway.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
You mean the World Cup Series Champions Red Socks?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM

The ones who chose not to attend- are they performing well, too? Since not visiting the White House?

Last edited by bobot; 05-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The ones who chose not to attend- are they performing well, too? Since not visiting the White House?
Warriors are doing just fine, thank you.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Trump spreads fake news (no surprise amirite):
Quote:
Michigan Democrat Rashida Tlaib told a Yahoo News podcast that she gets “a calming feeling” when she thinks of “the tragedy of the Holocaust” and how the suffering of her Palestinian ancestors helped in trying to create “a safe haven” for Jews in the new state of Israel.

The remark instantly ignited an online fight, with Republicans incorrectly describing Tlaib’s words as reflecting her feelings about the genocide itself that cost millions of lives, including those of 6 million Jews.

Trump spread the idea by tweeting on Monday that Tlaib has a “hatred” of Israel and Jews.
At certain times, I like to amuse myself by thinking what the world would be like if Hunter S. Thompson were 35-40 years old today instead of back in the '70s. Imagine if he had had Trump as his foil instead of Nixon...

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 PM

He claimed the Patriots but I don't give a fuck about football, but now he's tainted my beloved Sox. I'm sinking to a new low if even I, a multi-generational Sox fan, is now wishing the Yankees won.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
He claimed the Patriots but I don't give a fuck about football, but now he's tainted my beloved Sox. I'm sinking to a new low if even I, a multi-generational Sox fan, is now wishing the Yankees won.
That would have been pretty hard, since the Sox played the Series against the Dodgers.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:52 PM

SO is Individual 1 sending 120,000 US troops to the Middle East or not? He denies it, but several sources say it's true.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Someone should check with Russia. Because if they've been preemptively warned,he's totally doing it.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
That would have been pretty hard, since the Sox played the Series against the Dodgers.
I didn't literally mean the exact series as it was played in Oct but rewind the clock to Aug or Sept and run it again so the pinstripes can take over the AL East and go advance and he can taint the yankees.

My happy place alternate timeline is H winning in 2016. I guess my backup happy place is him destroying things that I DON'T LIKE.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Let me count the ways. Actually - not. As much as he pisses me off just by his mere existence, I will ALWAYS hold in higher contempt those who VOTED for him (for Prez. I'd be perfectly willing to vote for Donny Dimwit. . .in a "Biggest Jerk of the Century" contest) and those who continue to cover/lie for/defend him. When an avowed "alt-right" White Nationalist comes out and freely admits that "Charlottesville wouldn't have happened without [the Groper-in-Chief]" then that tells just about anybody with a BRAIN and COMMON SENSE that were are in a dire situation. How far this country has fallen.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Just in case you have not come to the realization Tan the Conman is a craven fool whose only real concern is being flattered, Author of flattering Trump biography gets pardon from Trump.

And what did the flatterer get convicted of? Two of Trump's favorite hobbies, of course: fraud, obstruction of justice.

Cry the beloved country.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Just in case you have not come to the realization Tan the Conman is a craven fool whose only real concern is being flattered, Author of flattering Trump biography gets pardon from Trump.

And what did the flatterer get convicted of? Two of Trump's favorite hobbies, of course: fraud, obstruction of justice.

Cry the beloved country.
(Sarah Sanders) said Black's case attracted broad support from many high-profile individuals — including former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Elton John and Rush Limbaugh — who have "vigorously vouched for his exceptional character."

Well, alrighty then!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I understand that Henry Kissinger, Elton John, and Rush Limbaugh get together once a week for their regular pinochle game.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
SO is Individual 1 sending 120,000 US troops to the Middle East or not? He denies it, but several sources say it's true.
Where exactly are these 120,000 troops supposed to be stationed while they (presumably) gear up to invade Iran? I guess Saudi Arabia might accept them, for a small consideration of course, but I can't imagine any other country in the region willingly taking in such a large armed force.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 05-16-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
(Sarah Sanders) said Black's case attracted broad support from many high-profile individuals — including former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, Elton John and Rush Limbaugh — who have "vigorously vouched for his exceptional character."

Well, alrighty then!
Sarah, quick! Name three people that have never been in your kitchen.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Black's crimes seem almost quaint in the current climate. And I'm almost nostalgic for him now that I've seen what the Barclay brothers have done to the Telegraph.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Where exactly are these 120,000 troops supposed to be stationed while they (presumably) gear up to invade Iran? I guess Saudi Arabia might accept them, for a small consideration of course, but I can't imagine any other country in the region willingly taking in such a large armed force.
The last time we stationed troops in Saudi Arabia it led to the 9/11 attacks. I’m sure this administration is too smart to repeat dumb mistakes from history...
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
The last time we stationed troops in Saudi Arabia it led to the 9/11 attacks. I’m sure this administration is too smart to repeat dumb mistakes from history...

Good one!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
It wasn't the presence of troops in Saudi Arabia, it was the presence of Obama in The White House.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Actually I can imagine him salivating at the prospect of looking presidential standing over the Ruins of the One world trade center whose destruction would bump trump tower up from 85th to 84th tallest building in New York.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Didn't know where to post this, but WTF??

Judge confirms Trump associate gave feds Osama bin Laden’s number
Felix Sater, who became an FBI informant after pleading guilty in a 1998 fraud scheme, later helped drive talks for a potential Trump Tower Moscow.
Quote:
A federal judge has confirmed for the first time that Felix Sater, a former Donald Trump business associate who drove Trump Tower Moscow negotiations during the 2016 election, helped the U.S. government track down Osama bin Laden.

During a hearing on Thursday in the Eastern District of New York — held as part of a lawsuit brought by First Look Media to unseal records related to Sater’s longtime cooperation with the government on various national security issues — Judge I. Leo Glasser said the media group already knew all of the “very interesting and dangerous things” Sater had done through his decade as an FBI informant.

“He cooperated,” Glasser said. “And you know what he did over the 10, 11 years, because you told me that you know. He provided the telephone number of Osama bin Laden. He has done an awful lot of very interesting and dangerous things.”

The detail is just another bizarre side plot that has emerged over the two-plus years that federal investigators, lawmakers and journalists have tried to uncover every detail about possible interactions between the Trump campaign and Russian intermediaries during the 2016 election. The probes have put spotlights on a cast of figures in Trump’s extended orbit, many of whom possess unusual backgrounds.
Unusual backgrounds?? He had Osama's phone number?? For how long??

There really is no bottom to this, is there?

Head explodes.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Well, if he helped us find Bin Laden, I guess you have to throw him some kind of gratitude. It ain't Trump. It's some guy Trump knows.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Well, if he helped us find Bin Laden, I guess you have to throw him some kind of gratitude. It ain't Trump. It's some guy Trump knows.
Yeah, but why did he have Osama bin Laden's phone number?

I can't think of an innocent explanation. (And as ThelmaLou said, how long did he have it before turning it over???)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Yeah, I know. But sometimes you have to say: Provide me with this information, and I won't ask any more questions. It depends what the prize is. Getting Bin Laden? Ok, thanks, no more questions then. (Even though there are TONS more questions.)
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yeah, but why did he have Osama bin Laden's phone number?

I can't think of an innocent explanation. (And as ThelmaLou said, how long did he have it before turning it over???)
Quote:
Yeah, I know. But sometimes you have to say: Provide me with this information, and I won't ask any more questions. It depends what the prize is. Getting Bin Laden? Ok, thanks, no more questions then. (Even though there are TONS more questions.)
Both of y'all's points are valid. We got Bin Laden-- great. But why did an someone connected to thump have it and how long did he have it for? And who else's numbers are in his rolodex (dating myself)?

Good. Fucking. Grief.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 PM
SDSAB

The latest base-pleasing, back-scratching pardons: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/polit...lan/index.html
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
The latest base-pleasing, back-scratching pardons: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/polit...lan/index.html
Well one of them I don't know much about, except that he's a right-wing evangelical nutter who was convicted of racketeering charges and spent over two years in federal prison, so pardoning him would appeal to the base.

The other, Conrad Black, I do know quite a bit about. He could be Trump's twin brother, except that he's actually very intelligent, so on the opposite end of the IQ bell curve. But like his suppositional twin brother, he's a pompous blowhard whose entire business career has been rife with shady dealings, and who was eventually convicted in the US of multiple fraud charges which stemmed from what was essentially millions of dollars in embezzlement. Like the first guy, he also spent years in federal prison for it. How the hell he ever got back into Canada after renouncing his citizenship and then being criminally convicted in the US I'll never understand. One thing I will say about Black, though, is that the guy really knows how to write. He has an impressive vocabulary and probably knows more creative ways of insulting someone than anyone else on earth, and when he gets rolling his prose is positively lyrical.

In any case, it's no surprise that Trump would pardon these two right-wing jailbirds. If there was any hesitation about pardoning Black, the fact that he wrote a book praising Trump would definitely have sealed the deal.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Actually I can imagine him salivating at the prospect of looking presidential standing over the Ruins of the One world trade center whose destruction would bump trump tower up from 85th to 84th tallest building in New York.
That actually contains a grain of truth as to Trump's reaction judging by some comments he made that day:

On 9/11, Trump pointed out he now had the tallest building in Lower Manhattan. He didn’t.

Trump’s odd boast on the day of the attacks wasn’t even accurate.

Quote:
President Trump's habit of exaggerating or misrepresenting the effects of New York City's worst terrorist attack on him personally began the afternoon of Sept. 11, 2001.

As our Timothy Bella reported Tuesday, Trump was asked by New Jersey station WWOR to weigh in on the import of the attacks on the World Trade Center only a few hours after planes struck its twin towers. One of the station's reporters asked Trump whether a building he owned — 40 Wall Street, a few blocks from the site of the attacks — had suffered any damage.

"40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan,” Trump replied, “and it was actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest — and then, when they built the World Trade Center, it became known as the second tallest. And now it’s the tallest."

But it wasn't.

Back to the point at hand, though. The question is about the overlap of the two preceding charts. Which buildings are both in Lower Manhattan and existed on the day of the attacks? Only four: The Trump Building, 70 Pine, 28 Liberty and the Woolworth Building, at one time the tallest building in the world.

Of those four buildings, Trump's ranked second in height, by 25 feet, to a building one block to the east.
So, even on 9/11, Trump needs to brag about his own building and still lie about it. A normal (hah!) person would have said it's undamaged and there were no casualties and turned back to what happened at the WTC.

Some Trump supporters claim that Trump was concerned that his building would be a new terrorist target. Out of fact-checking curiosity, I listened to the interview, and if Trump mentioned that I missed it and it was what I was listening for. Another bullshit defense of Trump.

I know people who asked me what was wrong with Trump saying "get some pussy" on the Hollywood Access tape. Besides that itself just being offensive, I said that's not what Trump actually said. He bragged about committing sexual assault. The MAGAsses hadn't even listened to the tape to hear was Trump did say before defending it!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
...Some Trump supporters claim that Trump was concerned that his building would be a new terrorist target. Out of fact-checking curiosity, I listened to the interview, and if Trump mentioned that I missed it and it was what I was listening for. Another bullshit defense of Trump.

I know people who asked me what was wrong with Trump saying "get some pussy" on the Hollywood Access tape. Besides that itself just being offensive, I said that's not what Trump actually said. He bragged about committing sexual assault. The MAGAsses hadn't even listened to the tape to hear was Trump did say before defending it!
They may have listened, but their brains instantly changed what they'd heard into something else---something they could defend.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's an argument for letting some crimes go in order to get information about bigger crimes. But bin Laden was killed in 2011 and Sater was working for Trump in 2016.

There's a vast gap between not asking questions and hiring a guy with terrorist connections to act as your representative in dealing with foreign governments.

Can you imagine what conservatives would say if a Democrat had hired somebody with past associations with Osama bin Laden?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
There's a vast gap between not asking questions and hiring a guy with terrorist connections to act as your representative in dealing with foreign governments.
I certainly won't argue with that.

Last edited by bobot; 05-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Can you imagine what conservatives would say if a Democrat had hired somebody with past associations with Osama bin Laden?
Don't yanno? Obama and Hillary founded ISIS, which is even worse:

[3-year-old article]

Trump to Supporters: Obama Is ‘Founder of ISIS’

Quote:
Speaking to a crowd in Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday night, Republican nominee Donald Trump accused President Barack Obama of founding the Islamic State terror group. “He is the founder of ISIS,” Trump said, repeating, “He’s the founder of ISIS, OK?... He’s the founder! He founded ISIS.” Taking it a step further, Trump went on to target his opponent in the presidential race. “And I would say, the co-founder would be crooked Hillary Clinton,” he said.
And you know there is a decent percentage of his supporters who believe shit like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

"Has anyone noticed how the SUN comes up EVERY MORNING since your FAVORITE PRESIDENT became PRESIDENT! And how gravity keeps things sitting right on the ground! Crooked Hillary couldn't have done that! WINNING!"*

*This is not a real tweet from The Donald. Just in case anyone was wondering.
It's BIGGER and BRIGHTER since Chump came along.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
It's BIGGER and BRIGHTER since Chump came along.
AHHHHHHH!!!!! WE'RE FALLING INTO THE SUN! WE'RE ALL DOOMED! TRUMP'S KILLED US ALL! o
Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Relax. Solar power has drained so much energy from the Sun, its not even very hot any more.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Don't yanno? Obama and Hillary founded ISIS, which is even worse:

[3-year-old article]

Trump to Supporters: Obama Is ‘Founder of ISIS’

And you know there is a decent percentage of his supporters who believe shit like this.
Nobody like ME is EVER gonna accuse any "people" like those of having any working BRAINS.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Relax. Solar power has drained so much energy from the Sun, its not even very hot any more.
But how loud is solar power? I'm worried about getting cancer.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Nobody like ME is EVER gonna accuse any "people" like those of having any working BRAINS.
Those are who Hillary, unfortunately, labeled out loud as the "deplorable". Which turned off a lot of voters who might have been on the fence about her.

Simplistically, there might be three general categories of Trump voters in 2016:

Conservatives, who were voting Republican no matter what--tax cuts, deregulation, and judges. Hey, that's their prerogative.

Unsure voters who either didn't like Hillary or bought into the Trump myth of a businessman who could drain the swamp and fix DC.

And, the deplorables, who believe Trump's MAGA bullshit. Muslims and Mexicans (or non-white) are destroying the country, and whites are being fucked over by libruls and wanted a guy to fuck over the "others", who are the cause of the problems in their own unsatisfying lives.

Again, this is simplistic.

Trump seems unique in that he only cares and pamders to the third group. Most presidents would reach out to non-supporters. Trump seems only to care about riling up his base and dividing the country.

His stick is playing the "I'm a victim of the libruls, just like you!" card and his base eats it up. No critical thinking needed.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Those are who Hillary, unfortunately, labeled out loud as the "deplorable". Which turned off a lot of voters who might have been on the fence about her.
Citation needed.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Citation needed.
Cite in the Pit? But I'm sure I can find something. I usually can.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
But how loud is solar power? I'm worried about getting cancer.
Solar power? Bird graveyard.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 PM

He filmed a political video on board Air Force one, criticizing Bill de Blasio running for 2020 and making claims about de Blasio's policies. The presidential seal was clearly visible in the background. It's not supposed to be used for political purposes, only official presidential business since otherwise it's being insinuated that this message is officially from the federal government. Technically he is covered by law that would require him to pay taxpayers back for using AF1 for political business also. But apparently there's no mechanism to actually stop him from doing these things or at least, at least, charge him a large fee after the fact.

I am so tired of all this I'm at my wit's end.

ETA: I listen to the "Can He Do That?" podcast, but really I don't need to. The answer is ALWAYS, "Why, yes he can," no matter what.

Last edited by Skypist; 05-18-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
He filmed a political video on board Air Force one, criticizing Bill de Blasio running for 2020 and making claims about de Blasio's policies. The presidential seal was clearly visible in the background. It's not supposed to be used for political purposes, only official presidential business since otherwise it's being insinuated that this message is officially from the federal government. Technically he is covered by law that would require him to pay taxpayers back for using AF1 for political business also. But apparently there's no mechanism to actually stop him from doing these things or at least, at least, charge him a large fee after the fact.

I am so tired of all this I'm at my wit's end.

ETA: I listen to the "Can He Do That?" podcast, but really I don't need to. The answer is ALWAYS, "Why, yes he can," no matter what.
There's no one to stop him.