Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Huh. Clorox owns Pine-Sol, now there would be an amusing commercial!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Pretty sure a little kid would know Pine Sol exists and what it's for. 'Course, that's a commercial for bleach rather than pine stuff.
Doesn't mean a kid would bother to use it. "I'm being helpful" doesn't mean "I followed all the steps you would".

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
"I'm being helpful" doesn't mean "I followed all the steps you would".
Obviously not. "Following all the steps" would involve using a bucket.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Little Sweet on a Tiny Horse

It's possible that I actually like this commercial. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that it's given premature dementia.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM

Strangely, Chance the Rapper singing about Kit Kat Bars annoys me but Boyz II Men singing about terrible side effects doesn't. Go figure.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Me too, Biggirl. Love those side effects. "Flatulence".
Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

"So gassy girl...."

Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 PM

Sweaty eyelids.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM

I don't care what Leinenkugel says, the lyrics of that song are "Kill the wabbit! Kill the Wabbit! Kill the wabbit?"
Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 AM

I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, I'LL BREAK YOUR FUCKING NECK!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Say what you will about Flo but she's a damned sight better than that jackhole box.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-29-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
All prescription drug commercials. Whether you are "Triseba read-aay!" or you're in the middle of having your "Movantik Moment", watching these commercials with their "snappy" little sayings can make you stabby.
I always sing along "Placebo ready!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Ain't no way that lady is fitting a cello, a tuba, and two kids who likely require car seats into that little Buick.
I once carried an upright bass, a bassoon (fully assembled) and the bassoonist in a VW bug (with nothing sticking out the window). And I still would have had room for a child, although not in a car seat.

There's a series of anti smoking PSAs that annoy me. Not because I'm opposed to discouraging people from smoking, but because they have a tip from people who have been injured in some way by smoking. Only in several of them the "tip" is actually an observation.

"My tip is: it's hard to serve your country when you can't catch your breath."
"My tip is: if you keep smoking your freedom may only go as far as your oxygen tube."
Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

As an Iowa resident, I'm subjected to some variation of this about every 30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rakq3qbMo

Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 AM

My latest annoyance is the Subaru ad about a cursed boy who causes everything to fall apart, except for the Subaru. Subaru = curseproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Can Bluebell not afford video for their commercials?
Since the listeria incident, maybe not.

"Bluebell is the best tasting listeria in the country."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Fascinating. I would have assumed men use both hands to lather up - it's more efficient that way and don't you have rinse off the lathery hand before shaving anyway? I would certainly use two hands to apply shaving cream to my legs.
I squirt the lather into my left hand and apply it to my face. Then I shave with the right hand. If I need to add more lather, I already have it on my left hand.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Since the listeria incident, maybe not.

"Bluebell is the best tasting listeria in the country."

I happened to hear the same commercial word-for-word on a radio station not too long ago...I'm guessing that possibly the radio ad was produced first, and then someone realized how cheap it would be to just put together a slide show with a bunch of photos so they could run it on TV.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:22 PM

"Activate your within."

"Within" is not a noun, you nincompoop.

There's a new Wal-mart commercial where the guy in the store is suddenly The Flash, running around handling all the customer requests. At the end, he transforms back into a regular Wal-mart employee, except he has a stupid yellow cape instead of a vest. Ha ha ha.

Today, I saw the manager at Wal-mart wearing one of those capes.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Always commercial: "60% of women are wearing the wrong size pad."

Cite?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Strangely, Chance the Rapper singing about Kit Kat Bars annoys me but Boyz II Men singing about terrible side effects doesn't. Go figure.
LI-BRARY BREAK!

There's NOTHING about that commercial that I don't hate. Except libraries. OK, There's ONE thing I don't hate about that commercial.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I had the sound off, but there was some ad with women in bikinis, one of whom licked a can of whatever product they were selling. This is what happens when frat boys write ads.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:41 PM

"We call it the remainder, that's the number that remains."

I'd purposely forget math if I had to put up with that asshole.

Last edited by Paintcharge; 08-29-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:17 PM

The Hyundai commercial and Sweet Caroline. I don't want to hate Neil Diamond but I'm starting to.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Always commercial: "60% of women are wearing the wrong size pad."

Cite?
I imagine they pulled that number from the same place as their "have a happy period" slogan.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 AM

McDonald's "David is going to college" tuition assistance program advert begins with, "fries for three sixteen, please," which I always assume is a Christian dogwhistle. This annoys me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP9Q_Fa-BA
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing Idaho Banks View Post
McDonald's "David is going to college" tuition assistance program advert begins with, "fries for three sixteen, please," which I always assume is a Christian dogwhistle. This annoys me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP9Q_Fa-BA
You're right. Leviticus 3:16
Quote:
Then the priest shall turn these into smoke on the altar as a food-offering by fire for a pleasing odour. All fat is the Lordís.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:04 PM

The one that's been grating on my nerves lately is for some SUV.
"How do you want to live? As a decent person? A good husband? Good? Is that it??"

Yeah, better to be "King of the hill" and "Like a boss" with your gas-guzzling road-hogging monster truck, even if people think you're an asshole. Fuck you.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
An ad for razors that is all about how you can order them online and they will be delivered. The scene? The guy is getting ready to shave, all lathered up (including both hands, who does that?) discovers he is out of blades, and proceeds to use his phone to order some more; one version he uses his nose to press something on the phone, the other version he uses voice ordering, because, you know, shaving cream.

1. I've never seen anyone use both hands to apply shaving lather to their face. It's just stupid.

2. They can't rinse off their hands before ordering the blades?

3. And now what? Are they going to stand there waiting for the new blades to arrive, one or two or five days later?

This is just the most stupid stupid stupid commercial I can remember ever seeing.
Oh come on, the commercial isn't THAT stupid. It's an exaggeration of the product's benefits...do you want to answer why airline food is so bad too?

In other contrarian news...I absolutely apply shaving cream with both hands, it's much more efficient. Put the cream in one hand, move to the other, apply both sides at once, rinse off afterwards. I have two hands, why WOULDN'T I use them?
Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Say what you will about Flo but she's a damned sight better than that jackhole box.
Why? Why do you want a spokesman that's has the visual impact of a box with a personality of a blowhard poseur when what you are selling doesn't even come IN a box. Is that supposed to be the joke? Because it ain't funny.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Sling TV needs to teach Danny Trejo to enunciate. Took me a long time to figure out he's saying "picky" rather than "piggy".
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
In other contrarian news...I absolutely apply shaving cream with both hands, it's much more efficient. Put the cream in one hand, move to the other, apply both sides at once, rinse off afterwards. I have two hands, why WOULDN'T I use them?
I use one hand; I figure any shaving cream left on my hands that I have to rinse off is going to waste, so I want to keep that to a minimum.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Why? Why do you want a spokesman that's has the visual impact of a box with a personality of a blowhard poseur when what you are selling doesn't even come IN a box. Is that supposed to be the joke? Because it ain't funny.
It is slapdash and dumb. But they were reaching for something, ANYTHING, that would let them tell Stephanie Courtney "you can't ask for a raise because we have an alternative ad campaign all set up, nyah nyahh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolatt View Post
The Hyundai commercial and Sweet Caroline. I don't want to hate Neil Diamond but I'm starting to.
That is one in a series of commercials, from a wide variety of advertisers, in which people sing or dance while signaling 'ain't I just the silliest evah! I'm doing this ironically!!!1!!!'

I hate that trope.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

The Publix commercial which shows clips of a married couple growing old together, paired with some crap dirge and the lyrics of The Safety Dance. It SUH-HUUUUCKS. Whose idea was this? You're fired.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Ever notice how commercials are slightly (and pointlessly) edited mid-run? A current example is one of those horrible candy commercials (just had to google for the name: Haribo) where adults are talking like children. This is the one with the hockey players--in the original version, the punchline is "this is ice hockey, not dance hockey." But recently they've started airing a (somewhat crudely) dubbed version where that has been changed to "this is ice hockey, not dance party." (For the first time in days, I just saw the original version of the commercial, which is what pushed me to make this post.)

As for Flo, "I don't see a possum!" has to be one of the greatest commercial punchlines ever.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM

(singing) "Gonna build a moun-taing..."
Old 09-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

It, the new Steven King film.

I have a big issue with ads and trailers for this film. Being a Big Budget film, they are advertising the hell out of it. And in venues where they would never advertise a horror film. I was sitting waiting for The HitMans Bodyguard and was subjected to a very long trailer for this film, even tho they usually run trailers for horror films with horror films only.

I hate and despise this type of horror film. So to be subjected to very scary trailers and ads is simply wrong.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:36 PM

This may not even qualify as "annoying," but for some reason it bugs the crap out of me.
Foster Farms is running a commercial touting how healthy their chicken is (at least when it isn't taited with salmonella) by showing us a recipe for grilled chicken breast in a lettuce wrap with quinoa. OK, fine, but it's the tagline that gets me: "This is the new comfort food."

No! In absolutely no universe could this dish ever be considered "comfort food," which is generally hearty, filling -- and not necessarily healthy -- fare. Yes, I get that they're trying to turn the concept on its head, but this is such a blatant misuse of an established term that it rubs me the wrong way every time I see it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

This one wasn't on TV. It was an ad that played before IT in the theater. I honestly thought that it was a trailer for some dystopian scifi movie, or maybe a new season of Black Mirror.

It's an ad for ice cream, which apparently is supposed to be funny. I don't want to sound like some killjoy with no sense of humor, because that is definitely NOT me, but rather than funny, it's disturbing and offensive.

I'll link to it rather than describe it.

https://youtu.be/j4IFNKYmLa8
Old 09-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

There's a weird one running right now that features a little boy in a bed being repeatedly tucked in by twin older women who are cackling in unison. Then they both lean over to tell the kid they love him. The kid proclaims that this is his second favorite sandwich. I think it's an ad for a fast food place. WTF?

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 09-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:03 PM

Radio ads currently in heavy rotation on my favorite radio stations for Progressive featuring "Floetry", in other words, Flo reciting a sales pitch in the style of a poetry jam/slam. Gah.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM

Wow! I didn't even know this site existed. Looks like it shows pretty much every commercial currently running.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
Radio ads currently in heavy rotation on my favorite radio stations for Progressive featuring "Floetry", in other words, Flo reciting a sales pitch in the style of a poetry jam/slam. Gah.
I've heard those. Still better than the jackhole box.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
This one wasn't on TV. It was an ad that played before IT in the theater. I honestly thought that it was a trailer for some dystopian scifi movie, or maybe a new season of Black Mirror.

It's an ad for ice cream, which apparently is supposed to be funny. I don't want to sound like some killjoy with no sense of humor, because that is definitely NOT me, but rather than funny, it's disturbing and offensive.

I'll link to it rather than describe it.

That is odd. (And did they pay royalties to the Kubrick estate for the obvious reference to the end of his movie of 2001: A Space Odyssey?)

My best guess is that it's meant to appeal to those who define themselves as "hipsters." Because it's all cosmic and cinematic and whatnot.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 09-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
That is odd. (And did they pay royalties to the Kubrick estate for the obvious reference to the end of his movie of 2001: A Space Odyssey?)

My best guess is that it's meant to appeal to those who define themselves as "hipsters." Because it's all cosmic and cinematic and whatnot.
It's a confused and frightened elderly Alzheimer's patient in some sort of automated extended care facility, being harassed by a robot which is poking her in the face with a spoonful of ice cream, trying to make her eat it, and telling her that everyone she loved is dead. That's not hip or funny, it's sad and disturbing.

I didn't catch any 2001 reference, but I'm pretty sure that you don't have to pay royalties for a simple reference.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
It's a confused and frightened elderly Alzheimer's patient in some sort of automated extended care facility, being harassed by a robot which is poking her in the face with a spoonful of ice cream, trying to make her eat it, and telling her that everyone she loved is dead. That's not hip or funny, it's sad and disturbing.

I didn't catch any 2001 reference, but I'm pretty sure that you don't have to pay royalties for a simple reference.
The set is similar to the set in which Bowman grows old (and dies and is reborn as the Star Child). Could be that's not a matter for copyright.

And whether hipsters find it to be cool to watch an old person being tormented by a robot, is not for me to say---but as I said, that was my best guess.

In any event, as you imply, it seems unlikely that this commercial will lead to increased sales for the product!

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The set is similar to the set in which Bowman grows old (and dies and is reborn as the Star Child). Could be that's not a matter for copyright.

And whether hipsters find it to be cool to watch an old person being tormented by a robot, is not for me to say---but as I said, that was my best guess.

In any event, as you imply, it seems unlikely that this commercial will lead to increased sales for the product!
Strangely enough, it's actually made me curious about the ice cream, which I'd never heard of before. So maybe it achieves it's purpose, but in a rather despicable way.

Maybe I'm just sensitive because I helped care for my elderly mother for a number of years.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
That made me want to eat ice cream about as much as the Skittles pox commercial made me want to eat Skittles.

The one I came to mention isn't annoying so much as puzzling. Why is Werewolves of London playing in a cereal commercial featuring a dad and daughter fishing and trash talking?

My blog sucks.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The one I came to mention isn't annoying so much as puzzling. Why is Werewolves of London playing in a cereal commercial featuring a dad and daughter fishing and trash talking?
I saw that one the other day and was completely perplexed by it as well. It's a Raisin Bran ad, a product I associate with neither werewolves nor London. As far as Warren Zevon songs go it's not the least appropriate to use in this commercial*, but there's a fairly long list of things one might wish to advertise that have a more obvious connection to "Werewolves of London". Hair products would be my top pic, but also men's tailors, Chinese restaurants, London tourism, a Lon Chaney Jr. movie marathon, the film An American Werewolf in London, pina coladas, and of course Trader Vic's.

*Least appropriate would probably be "Play It All Night Long".

Last edited by Lamia; 09-15-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:15 PM

Good GOD this commercial is annoying!
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wB30/bud-light-vendor
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
It would be a lot less annoying if it was Anchor Steam.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I'll admit it. I laughed when he turned up at the burial.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That made me want to eat ice cream about as much as the Skittles pox commercial made me want to eat Skittles.
This is my reaction.

Last FM Library Thing