Old 10-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Xfinity has some idiot woman saying, "Shouldn't our Internet come from the same company as our phones?" Er, no. Does your refrigerator come from Del Monte and Coca-Cola? Do you go to movies in theaters owned by Twentieth Century Fox? Is your radio station owned by Capitol Records?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:14 AM

Here in the Philippines, a commercial for Pigrolac, a pig feed for people who raise hogs at home (like my mother in law does).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemzr4QpB5g
Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 AM

The trend of whistling, toy pianos, ukuleles, and rhythmic clapping in commercials is like sagging pants -- it seems like it's never, ever going to go away.

10 years ago, a lot of commercials used "wry" voiceovers, from women with an ever-so-slight slightly snarky, sarcastic inflection. Now, at least in the US, it seems like overly excited uptalk is the trend. Red Robin commercials and HGTV promos are the worst.

EDIT: I am the Addiction Network.

Last edited by elmwood; 10-25-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I understand the "dawww" effect of the Trident Gum commercials, but I HAAAAATE that song. The drawling beginning and her annoying voice. I barely know the words because my ears immediately bleed.

mmmmmddddrraaawwwwwifffyourrrr IIIII caaaannnn't help....faalllliing in looooooooveeee wiiiiittthhhh youuuuuuuu
I would like to never hear another peep out of that singer. Isn't it the same girl who did that horrible Phoenix University "but only if you have a brain" song. Die! Die! Just shut up.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 PM

I usually enjoy commercials with people dancing. Even if they are dancing kind of goofy, or even sort of bad dancing. However this one for Wayfair has the kind of dancing to rival Elaine Benes (she had the finger points and the little kicks). In fact the commercial makes the Elaine Benes dance look good by comparison.

There are other Wayfair commercials that I don't love, but the above linked one gives me the creeps.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Newest commercial from Twix has packages of "left Twix" and "right Twix". Not a left Twix and a right Twix in each package, but two left Twixes in one package and two right Twixes in another.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I would like to never hear another peep out of that singer. Isn't it the same girl who did that horrible Phoenix University "but only if you have a brain" song. Die! Die! Just shut up.
Probably. But I'm in the minority and actually liked the "If I only had a brain" song.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
No.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Okay, then I would like to hear no more peeps out of either one of them.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:46 AM

That hipster doofus with the flip up glasses being wrong about everything shilling for Verizon can fuck off.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Newest commercial from Twix has packages of "left Twix" and "right Twix". Not a left Twix and a right Twix in each package, but two left Twixes in one package and two right Twixes in another.
If you buy the fun size/snack size bags they have individual bars marked 'left' and 'right'.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
That hipster doofus with the flip up glasses being wrong about everything shilling for Verizon can fuck off.
Who is that guy anyway? I figured he was just some annoying anonymous ad dude like "Can you hear me now" Paul. But I swear I saw him on Jimmy Kimmel's show a while back (though I was about half awake and may have just dreamed it). So I figured he must be famous for something else. But yeah I really hate that guy.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Thomas Middleditch? He's an actor, probably best known for his lead role in the HBO sitcom Silicon Valley.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Thomas Middleditch? He's an actor, probably best known for his lead role in the HBO sitcom Silicon Valley.
Yeah, that's him. It's more apparent in the other Verizon commercials where he doesn't have the beard.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Not a commercial but a new series of radio PSAs aimed at keeping teens away from booze. They're from a group called I CAN or something and so laughingly bad, especially the one with the kid attempting (and spectacularly failing at) a Super Mario imitation, they just might have the opposite effect.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 10-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM

The new Bud Light "dilly dilly" commercial...implies that anyone liking/drinking/offering craft brew instead of watery swill is worthy of the pit of despair. Toss in a new annoying catchphrase to boot.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixolydian View Post
The new Bud Light "dilly dilly" commercial...implies that anyone liking/drinking/offering craft brew instead of watery swill is worthy of the pit of despair. Toss in a new annoying catchphrase to boot.
Dilly dilly.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Apparently if you use Liquid Plumr, it gives you the butt crack that is commonly associated with that occupation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GZq53S0ng&app=desktop
Old 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The craft-beer bashing is also a bit hypocritical on the part of AB InBev since they've been buying craft breweries like Goose Island left and right. However, the way they botched this year's batch of Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine Reserve might make some of the more conspiracy-minded craft beer drinkers that AB InBev is deliberately doing things to give craft beer a bad name so it will drive people back to only drinking their flavorless macrobrews like Bud Light.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 10-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Apparently if you use Liquid Plumr, it gives you the butt crack that is commonly associated with that occupation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GZq53S0ng&app=desktop
I'd rather see that than the commercial that aired off and on for several years where a guy starts to flush the contents of his house after seeing a good-looking female plumber walk into the neighbors' house.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 10-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Any that bring up customer satisfaction. Of course your customers are satisfied! If they weren't satisfied, wouldn't they have taken their business elsewhere?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Me and you singin' on the train
me and you just sittin' in the rain

MAKE IT STOP!!!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I saw that one recently and thought it was supremely stupid. I'm sure it reasonably reflects the opinion of a lot of Bud Light drinkers... that people who drink craft beers are pretentious and like to overpay. But I don't see how it attracts new customers. I am not giving up flavorful beers for Bud Light. I guess it's really the same as other light beers, just about name recognition and brand awareness. But the commercial is annoying with the "dilly dilly".
Old 10-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Also, who would give up mead for some vaguely beerlike-scented swill in a bottle?

And is anyone else tired of being subjected to the Rooms to Go "My stuff! My stuff my stuff my stuff!" commercial?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 PM

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wBfu/tide-po...ks-made-simple

WTF! The husband sees a pair of jeans and runs off screaming like a little girl? Ugh. Please stop making husbands stupid to sell your product.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Some pasta or tomato sauce company's new tag line is "Don't eat, mangia". Don't eat, eat? Huh?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post

WTF! The husband sees a pair of jeans and runs off screaming like a little girl? Ugh. Please stop making husbands stupid to sell your product.
And stop using the stupid word "hacks"!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

You know what would be really surprising? A GEICO commercial that doesn't insult anyone's intelligence!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
One that's running multiple times per break around here is, I think for xfinity, that shows families thru the ages having dinner together and talking, until today when they're all sitting there on their devices till Mom comes in and pauses the network.

Apart from being sick of seeing this ad over and over and over and over, when did parents abdicate their responsibility to teach table manners and common courtesy?!?!? A simple "Put your phones away" is cheaper than subscribing to a network that you can turn off. And, for that matter, I can turn off our wireless router at will anyway.

I still hate that commercial.
I've seen that one, and similar ones as well-- those ads come across to me as incredibly preachy, in a conservative sort of way.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:07 PM

the somewhat scary drug commericals that go " we treat ailment x but we don't know exactly how or why it does " we just know it works great
Old 11-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to know what fucking moron at JBL thought it was a good idea to poke fun at terrorism by having people in a small store cowering in fear at what they think is an active shooter situation.

And Budweiser's latest stupid ad for their 1933 Repeal Reserve swill. The recipe was banned during prohibition and you're just now reviving it? I call bullshit. It's the same swill with a different label.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
the somewhat scary drug commericals that go " we treat ailment x but we don't know exactly how or why it does " we just know it works great
And it has very scary and bizarre side effects.*

*May cause compulsive gambling, eating binges, driving while asleep, and growth of a second head. Do not take Miraculo™ if you are allergic to Miraculo™. Do not stop taking Miraculo™ without consulting your doctor first.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post

And Budweiser's latest stupid ad for their 1933 Repeal Reserve swill. The recipe was banned during prohibition and you're just now reviving it? I call bullshit. It's the same swill with a different label.
It actually gets some pretty decent reviews on the beer rating sites. It's an Amber lager with some malt character, apparently, not a pilsener or pale ale. I might have to try it if I get a chance. Not sure I buy that it is a 90 year old recipe, either, though.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'd like to know what fucking moron at JBL thought it was a good idea to poke fun at terrorism by having people in a small store cowering in fear at what they think is an active shooter situation.

supposedly after prohibition they made laws putting limits oh how strong they could make beer today you can make stronger beer .. so supposedly this is "bud classic "

you are probably right tho

Also back in the day I decided to upgrade my pc and the local place gave me the first cd rom and the first real sound card I ever had and a sweet set of speakers

My pc went from zap zap to the actual machine gun sounds of Wolfenstein 3d ....I decided to turn the volume up to max with my windows open

My rather sheltered Mormon neighbor lady thought I had a gunfight going on and called la county sheriff's dept.

I seen what I thought was my regular Saturday bbq chicken pizza delivery go by my window so I walked out the door only to have a 9mm about 2 inches from my face

After I peed my pants (figuratively) I showed them my rig and the deputies played it for about 20 minutes apparently drummed up some business because I got a few free games and everyone had a good laugh out of it when I went back to the pc shop ....
Old 11-07-2017, 10:48 AM

Four little words. Separately no big deal. But when yelled out loudly in sequence is a further insult to the intelligence... "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!"
Followed by a repeat of a "not sold in stores" piece of crap shtick that I don't need.

Also, why are men aged 40 ish depicted as morons and nerds in so many ads?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Also, who would give up mead for some vaguely beerlike-scented swill in a bottle?

And is anyone else tired of being subjected to the Rooms to Go "My stuff! My stuff my stuff my stuff!" commercial?
Ugh. I see it and hang my head to weep for humanity.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 PM

It's officially that time of year where people apparently buy each other a frickin' car as a Christmas present, complete with bow on top. To me, Lexus is really upping the creep factor buy having children act really excited about the new car (yes I know its like the inner child of the adult that is excited, but to me it's so creepy to see a child so excited about an expensive status symbol)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
It's officially that time of year where people apparently buy each other a frickin' car as a Christmas present, complete with bow on top.
Such things do happen in real life.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
Ask your doctor about this drug. In other words "Do your doctor's job despite the fact that you are paying said doctor for their expertise."

That rib commercial. You know the one with people making sex-type grunts.. Making noises that would have your mother telling you to leave the table. Barf City.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Okay, Wendy's can shut up about their Sauce-um* Sauce now.

*Or however the hell that's supposed to be spelled.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

The new Godiva "Submerged" commercial. Sure it is well done, and sexy. But it doesnt sell chocolate to me.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:49 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet....but I'm not fond of the commercial for (I think) a Windows tablet or something like that. Anyway, it's the one where the young doctor/nurse/technician goes in and tell the kid in the hospital room : "You know that picture I took of you this morning...well I have terrible news". She probably scares the crap out of the kid...then she whips out her tablet and says "You have...BUG EYES!"...of course......hilarity ensues.

I get the idea behind the commercial...but just didn't like the way she faked having bad news...a sick kid should be messed with like that. Poor form if you ask me.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 PM

Regarding the above....meant to write a sick kid shouldn't be messed with.....editor timed out before I discovered the error.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
It's officially that time of year where people apparently buy each other a frickin' car as a Christmas present, complete with bow on top. To me, Lexus is really upping the creep factor buy having children act really excited about the new car (yes I know its like the inner child of the adult that is excited, but to me it's so creepy to see a child so excited about an expensive status symbol)
The one that's annoying me the most out of this crop is the one with the girl in the red coat. When she turns into an adults she has the longest, widest smile I've ever seen and it makes her look like the joker.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This reminds me of some that make me see red: The Haribo ads with adults lip syncing small children talking. Come on, you're supposed to be professional. Do your own original work. Don't rip off Youtube videos done by amateurs that were only original once and weren't even clever that many times.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 PM

My current least favorite just came on. The Senior Care USA life insurance commercial. The younger woman in the commercial has got to be one of the worst actors on TV anywhere. And the older lady is just a little too cheery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSxE4nxo3Z4
Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 PM

I'm developing a special hatred for Sanderson Farms commercials.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post

This been done to women for years , now you know how it feel !
I mute all commercials or turn my hearing aid down but some have working CC when the show doesn't .
Old 11-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Grey View Post
I'm developing a special hatred for Sanderson Farms commercials.
THIS. I'm guessing someone told them their weasel words about antibiotic usage were pushing it a bit, so they've resorted to just plain annoying.

Also, I'm ready for the Duracell commercial with its horrible close-ups of screaming child mouths to go away now.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 AM

This has probably already been mentioned since it has been around a while. The insurance company (Allstate?) where it is two younger folks talking about - what else, insurance - and the voice of one of them changes to a deep, adult male voice for just one sentence. I think the voice is that of the narrator/regular commercial guy.

Someone make it stop.

mmm