Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

A Christmas ad now running for Guitar Center is just. . .stupid. They've tarted up some people who are clearly NOT musicians, added some special effects that aren't at all special, and show them faking ecstasy while playing. They're spending large amounts of money for air time for these commercials, so you would expect that they would be offering deals on quality instruments. You'd be wrong. Guitar stands and wall hangers, cheap-assed ukuleles, and a really crappy drum set. That's it. Seems like the return on the money they're spending on prime-time ads would be underwhelming.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Here is a new, annoying commercial. It shows a teenaged girl (one of the commentators on the iSpot.tv site says she's an actress from the FX series Better Things) using her iPad all over town. At the end of the commercial, she’s lying in the backyard, typing away on the keyboard attached to the iPad. A neighbor emerges from the house next door and asks her over the fence, “Whatcha doing on your computer?” The girl replies, “What’s a computer?” (Jump to 0:50 if you want to see the annoying bit.) Obviously, the message is, "It's an iPad. It's not a computer." Except that response makes the kid sound like some sort of asshole.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I can't decide what's worse about the "Fixer Upper" commercial that has been running incessantly on Animal Planet recently -- the choppy editing used to form the lyrics to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," or the godawful singing at the end.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Here is a new, annoying commercial. It shows a teenaged girl (one of the commentators on the iSpot.tv site says she's an actress from the FX series Better Things) using her iPad all over town. At the end of the commercial, she’s lying in the backyard, typing away on the keyboard attached to the iPad. A neighbor emerges from the house next door and asks her over the fence, “Whatcha doing on your computer?” The girl replies, “What’s a computer?” (Jump to 0:50 if you want to see the annoying bit.) Obviously, the message is, "It's an iPad. It's not a computer." Except that response makes the kid sound like some sort of asshole.
Or really fucking stupid.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No shit.

"It's that thing in your hands. idiot."

Apple. The official computer for douches.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Any commercial from Bud Light with the stupid "Dilly Dilly". It is so obvious they are trying to generate a new catchphrase. I wonder what the meeting to create it was like. Did they have a huge whiteboard with all the choices, and upper management voted? If so, I'd hate to see the rejected ones.

To make it even worse, people ARE saying it on their own. I weep for mankind,

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Any commercial from Bud Light with the stupid "Dilly Dilly". It is so obvious they are trying to generate a new catchphrase. I wonder what the meeting to create it was like. Did they have a huge whiteboard with all the choices, and upper management voted? If so, I'd hate to see the rejected ones.

To make it even worse, people ARE saying it on their own. I weep for mankind,
Hopefully it's only people who drink Bud Light. They are simply fulfilling expectations.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Quote:
No shit.

The thing that drives me insane about this commercial is when she says "What's A computer." Bitch, you're like 13 or whatever! Even if you don't consider the thing you're using a computer you still know that computers exist and are a thing.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No shit.

The more things change...
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Wow, was that a real commercial? If so, then no kidding.

"I like, was, like typing my paper. On the PC. And I stopped to look at my hands. Did you know there's a whole universe in your hands? Anyway, My paper was like on how like everyone thinks teenagers just get stoned all the time, and it affects like their brains and stuff, and they can't like focus, you know? Ooh what's that outside? And somehow my PC lost the entire paper. Maybe I like closed the computer, or hit delete all, but it wasn't like my fault, I was like so bummed. it was a good paper, and everything."
Old 12-11-2017, 11:33 AM

OK two posts in a row again, but this weekend was a target rich environment for bad commercials, what with football AND Christmas.

Any of the commercials for the Alexa/Siri/Home devices show the future of humanity, and not in a good way. People asking their devices to do things they used to do on their own, or didn't even need to do.

These things look like solutions in search of a problem anyway (ooh, I am sitting on my couch, and the TV remote is ALL THE WAY over on the other side of the couch! Three feet! Too far to travel. What am I going to do?? I think I'll just curl up and die. Oh wait, I'll have Alexa turn on the TV! Saved!), but the way everyone in these commercials just seem so helpless is worse.

"Siri, what time is it?" "I'm sitting on the table next to the clock - try looking."

George Orwell predicted total government control via such methods as the government actively changing the language. Or that home monitoring telescreens would be forced by the government into every home. He never would have believed that people would just voluntarily invite them in, and ceding to the machines even the simplest tasks.

"Alexa, compose a letter to my congressman. I need to complain about this legislation!" "That's hard - would you like to watch Mama June From Not to Hot instead?"

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Wow, was that a real commercial?
Dude, that was an infamous commercial.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
OK two posts in a row again, but this weekend was a target rich environment for bad commercials, what with football AND Christmas.

Any of the commercials for the Alexa/Siri/Home devices show the future of humanity, and not in a good way. People asking their devices to do things they used to do on their own, or didn't even need to do.

These things look like solutions in search of a problem anyway (ooh, I am sitting on my couch, and the TV remote is ALL THE WAY over on the other side of the couch! Three feet! Too far to travel. What am I going to do?? I think I'll just curl up and die. Oh wait, I'll have Alexa turn on the TV! Saved!), but the way everyone in these commercials just seem so helpless is worse.

"Siri, what time is it?" "I'm sitting on the table next to the clock - try looking."

George Orwell predicted total government control via such methods as the government actively changing the language. Or that home monitoring telescreens would be forced by the government into every home. He never would have believed that people would just voluntarily invite them in, and ceding to the machines even the simplest tasks.

"Alexa, compose a letter to my congressman. I need to complain about this legislation!" "That's hard - would you like to watch Mama June From Not to Hot instead?"
If you're posting this then you've clearly never had this technology. We used to when we had Xfiniity and had their voice controlled remote. So, so, SO much easier just to say "Alexa, change the channel to NBCSN" than for me to try and remember a channel I barely go to, or to go to the sports channels and page up or down forever.

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 12-11-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Got my AI's confused
Old 12-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

There's an ad showing an older couple talking about how, since their kids are all grown and on their own they no longer need life insurance and should sell their policies.

Sure, stick your kids with the funeral, burial, etc. expenses.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
There's an ad showing an older couple talking about how, since their kids are all grown and on their own they no longer need life insurance and should sell their policies.

How much are you supposing funeral/burial expenses to cost?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:

OF COURSE stick your kids with the burial. You gave birth to them, you raised them. They owe you.

And if instead, they dump you on the side of the road, who cares? You're dead!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Let me be the 87th person to agree with you about this terrible ad. (Actually, it's not a bad ad at all, but that last snotty line completely ruins it.)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

And while you're at it, why not get a reverse mortgage? That RV isn't going to pay for itself.

(I haven't actually seen a reverse mortgage commerical in a while...)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
And while you're at it, why not get a reverse mortgage? That RV isn't going to pay for itself.

(I haven't actually seen a reverse mortgage commerical in a while...)
Yeah, why not?

You owe your kids to raise them to adults. You don't owe them a house to inherit.

We have friends who scrimp and save, and deny themselves anything you could regard as an "extra" or "just for fun" so that they can leave a bigger heap of money to their kids.

Said kids were raised with love and care, and completely supported through college and 'helped' after that, for decades in some cases. It's finally time to put your own wishes first, before you can no longer enjoy anything.

Last edited by StarvingButStrong; 12-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM

I can't stand that commercial with the woman on the phone talking to herself as customer service rep. "Give me my moneeeay!". It's probably a measure of my annoyance that I have no idea what company this is for -- some kind of insurance or credit card company, I think.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
I can't stand that commercial with the woman on the phone talking to herself as customer service rep. "Give me my moneeeay!". It's probably a measure of my annoyance that I have no idea what company this is for -- some kind of insurance or credit card company, I think.
Thanks for this one. I HATE that commercial, which indeed is for a credit card. Some of the ads in this series are mildly humorous, but this one is just annoying. The woman is annoying. She is loud. Why doesn't anyone else nearby tell her to stop yelling in the office? The funny thing about this one is that the woman looks 15 pounds lighter as the customer than as the credit card service employee.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:05 PM

They are not the same person. They just look similar. The point to the commercial is that they CS reps are real people just like you and not a phone tree. That has gotten lost after a while.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
They are not the same person. They just look similar. The point to the commercial is that they CS reps are real people just like you and not a phone tree. That has gotten lost after a while.
Really? I thought all of the commercials in this series used the same person for the 'customer' and 'service' characters in each ad. I'm pretty sure they have up until now.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Really? I thought all of the commercials in this series used the same person for the 'customer' and 'service' characters in each ad. I'm pretty sure they have up until now.
Discover gets lots of these questions on their Facebook page. Their answer is that they've always been different people and only one pair ("awesomesauce") has been twins.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Discover gets lots of these questions on their Facebook page. Their answer is that they've always been different people and only one pair ("awesomesauce") has been twins.
Wow. Surprised, I am.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I'm with you. I thought that was the point.

Except for the one that subverted it and has the CS being the long lost sister, actually played by twins.

Awesomesauce!

eta: apparently, I was wrong! Though I like my reality better.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Ah! I was thinking that they are always different people too--except for that one time when they weren't. And here I am, not wrong.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Let me be the 87th person to agree with you about this terrible ad. (Actually, it's not a bad ad at all, but that last snotty line completely ruins it.)
Agreed, I actually like the commercial until that last line.

What's a computer?

So either A.) She's a moron that thinks the thing she's typing on is a magic device created by a wizard and never gave it a second thought. or B.) at quite a young age she's already become a pedantic hipster asshole.... "oh you mean my IPAD?"
Old 12-12-2017, 03:53 PM

the generic Pandora one ,,, where one woman wants a ring and the other a necklace ..... there obnoxious... espically the one that wriggles her hand 3 times for the ring ...but if I had someone as hot as her she wouldn't have to ask more than once for anything ........

Anyone know who she is ?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
the generic Pandora one ,,, where one woman wants a ring and the other a necklace ..... there obnoxious... espically the one that wriggles her hand 3 times for the ring ...but if I had someone as hot as her she wouldn't have to ask more than once for anything ........

Anyone know who she is ?
Good luck. I'm not sure even iSpot knows.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-12-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
or B.) at quite a young age she's already become a pedantic hipster asshole.... "oh you mean my IPAD?"
I vote for smug hipster. The look of disdain she has in the line just confirms it.

I hate her face. Irrational, I know, but yet, I do.

And the twee things she's doing on her not-computer. They're just so "cute". And so useless.

And I think she shouldn't climb trees without a helmet.

This is the problem with live sports. You can't skip commercials, and so you see them far too many times, and develop irrational hatreds for innocent actors.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
And is anyone else tired of being subjected to the Rooms to Go "My stuff! My stuff my stuff my stuff!" commercial?
What jumps out at me is they have kids singing a song that sounds suspiciously similar to "lovely lady lump". Ew.

Quote:
The girl replies, “What’s a computer?” (Jump to 0:50 if you want to see the annoying bit.) Obviously, the message is, "It's an iPad. It's not a computer." Except that response makes the kid sound like some sort of asshole.
Agreed - annoying as shit. She has to know what a computer is - she's grown up in a world of laptops and computer commercials, if nothing else. I'm sure her school actually has some of those, and not just tablets and iPads. So she's a dumbass.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
Agreed, I actually like the commercial until that last line.

What's a computer?

So either A.) She's a moron that thinks the thing she's typing on is a magic device created by a wizard and never gave it a second thought. or B.) at quite a young age she's already become a pedantic hipster asshole.... "oh you mean my IPAD?"
It's definitely a dorky line but I see where Apple is going with it, at least. It's part of their obsessive fascination with computers as appliance -- something so easy to use that you don't actually think of it as the traditional "hard to use" computer. In that sense, I think they've nailed the way that Millennials take ridiculously sophisticated technology for granted. In particular, look at the whining when phones approach the $1K mark. Which is, admittedly expensive, but from the standpoint of we oldsters who grew up with '386 computers with 14" CRTs, the idea of a super computer that can fit in your pocket, take pictures, talk with your appliances, navigate based on a built-in GPS, store and play your entire music library, stream movies, recognize your face, and, oh yeah, act as a phone as well for less than the cost of a 1995 PC is pretty remarkable.

On the other hand, a commercial that celebrates taking all that amazing technological tour de force as commonplace might not be the best idea (re: whining).

Last edited by Finagle; 12-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
It's definitely a dorky line but I see where Apple is going with it, at least. It's part of their obsessive fascination with computers as appliance -- something so easy to use that you don't actually think of it as the traditional "hard to use" computer. In that sense, I think they've nailed the way that Millennials take ridiculously sophisticated technology for granted. In particular, look at the whining when phones approach the $1K mark. Which is, admittedly expensive, but from the standpoint of we oldsters who grew up with '386 computers with 14" CRTs, the idea of a super computer that can fit in your pocket, take pictures, talk with your appliances, navigate based on a built-in GPS, store and play your entire music library, stream movies, recognize your face, and, oh yeah, act as a phone as well for less than the cost of a 1995 PC is pretty remarkable.

On the other hand, a commercial that celebrates taking all that amazing technological tour de force as commonplace might not be the best idea (re: whining).
Well, sure. But her question is "what's a computer"" which makes her either a idiot or really rude and snarky to the nice neighbor black woman. Maybe her device isnt techically a computer but if she doesnt know what one is....

Now, if she had said "This isnt really a computer" then fine. Still a little snarky, but...
Old 12-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

And remember that the kid is using a keyboard attached to the iPad, which is at an angle vertically. From the neighbor's perspective, it looks like the kid is typing away on a notebook computer. So the kid's response is rude and/or assholic.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I just caught the tail end of this one - guy is in bed with a woman, looks away with a concerned look. Voice over: “Gucci Guilty cologne for men.”

So this dude’s cheating on his partner? That’s totally an attribute I want to smell like!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I just caught the tail end of this one - guy is in bed with a woman, looks away with a concerned look. Voice over: “Gucci Guilty cologne for men.”

So this dude’s cheating on his partner? That’s totally an attribute I want to smell like!
Is that the one with Jared Leto? As far as I know, he's just falling asleep after he and the girl did .. whatever ... in the bathtub.

The one that annoys me is the HORRIBLE singing of the Honda ad using Lindsey Buckingham's legendary "Holiday Road". The singing is off key, the new lyrics are annoying, and they play the ad all the freaking time.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wsxA/happy-h...iday-road-trip
Old 12-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The one that annoys me is the HORRIBLE singing of the Honda ad using Lindsey Buckingham's legendary "Holiday Road". The singing is off key, the new lyrics are annoying, and they play the ad all the freaking time.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wsxA/happy-h...iday-road-trip
OH GOD yes. Why did they release so poor a version? Even the orchestration is lousy. If the idea was to make the people singing "relate-able" by having them sing off-key, at least have a crackerjack orchestration and make it dominate.

At least they'll stop playing it after New Year's--one hopes.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 AM

I'm really annoyed by "It Stopped For You!", in a tone as if it's the most amazing thing, rather than "You idiot, pay attention to what you're doing!"

"It stopped for you" means you should have stopped, but didn't. And the reason you didn't is because you were too busy fantasizing that your car was a space vehicle cruising along, and you were sightseeing in the sky instead of watching the space road in front of you.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
OH GOD yes. Why did they release so poor a version? Even the orchestration is lousy. If the idea was to make the people singing "relate-able" by having them sing off-key, at least have a crackerjack orchestration and make it dominate.

At least they'll stop playing it after New Year's--one hopes.
To me it sounds like autotune, but off key. So either the autotune didn't work, or they used it in exactly the opposite way it was originally intended. Either way... I hate it too.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Given the choice, I would rather listen to the offkey autotune than the soulless rendition of "Up on the Housetop" forced upon us by some car company a few years ago.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 12-18-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Oh, how I hate those ads!! And the inevitable earworms - dammit, just reading this has it stuck in my head!! DIE DIE DIE!!!!

I guess I don't run with the demographic most car ads are targeting - I don't know anyone who got or gave a car as a gift, with or without the big bow.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:31 AM

I hate the land Rover commercial where the parents drive the daughter to some cabin so she can have snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_ftizBbks

I hate that it's obviously filmed in California, yet she has a saguaro in her yard.
I hate that the family is so rich that they own a beautiful cabin, and a house in LA, and a Land Rover. And that they're probably republicans.
I hate the smug smile on that spoiled brat's face.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 12-18-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate the land Rover commercial where the parents drive the daughter to some cabin so she can have snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_ftizBbks

I hate that it's obviously filmed in California, yet she has a saguaro in her yard.
I hate that the family is so rich that they own a beautiful cabin, and a house in LA, and a Land Rover. And that they're probably republicans.
I hate the smug smile on that spoiled brat's face.
There are a few saguaroes in CA- very very few in the wild.

https://www.kcet.org/redefine/the-hu...rnmost-saguaro

Of course rich spoiled people have been known to have some stolen from Arizona and planted in their yards.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...hieves/470070/

So add "criminal" to your list.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

The stupidest one I've seen lately is the Prevagen commercial suggesting (while carefully avoiding making any actual claims subject to false-advertising laws) that their product will improve your brain function. Apparently, we're supposed to be impressed by the fact that the active ingredient is "a chemical found in jellyfish" (notwithstanding the fact that jellyfish don't have any brains).

Last edited by Steve MB; 01-02-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 AM

Just saw a jaw-dropper for 'Red Fortera' boner pills, and if there has ever been a bigger, snarmier, more flamboyant DOUCHEBAG in the history of advertising, I shudder to think. Makes me yearn for Enzyte and Smiling Bob, who was at least funny!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Apparently, we're supposed to be impressed by the fact that the active ingredient is "a chemical found in jellyfish" (notwithstanding the fact that jellyfish don't have any brains).
Was it discovered by a school teacher? Because that would give it more credibility...
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM

GMC trots these commercials out every winter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehTqwH-lMbs

The basic message is that if you buy a huge GMC truck you'll make your fellow suburbanites feel bad about thenselves, because the person with the most possessions is obviously the best. Just once, I'd like to see snowman guy say, "Well my dick is still bigger than yours, and your wife knows it too" Probably won't happen though.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

How is Pediasure getting away with the commerical that essentially says your child will be a stunted, underweight runt unless they chug this gunk twice a day?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 PM

FarmersOnly.com is getting a bit annoying, portraying simple salt of the earth country folk who are assailed by thoughtless, stuck up rude city C-words. I mean, I'm glad for them, but no need to be so smug, as if you are all cult members who recognize each other in a land of nasty sluts and coke dealers.