Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #851  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,460
TL;DR

Fuck that guy, over.
  #852  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
What I know about parenting is this: there are so many different ways it could go wrong and a parent can easily make it worse. You could have 999 bases covered and then your child has a condition or falls into a situation you don't have covered. The failure to adapt to this can make someone who seems like they'd be an archetypal parent turn monstrous and dogmatic religions like antiracism tend to impede adaptation.

Then OTOH the bitter parity is through sheer luck someone like HD might avoid any serious landmines in parenting. It is a curious angle for one individual to bring up again and again seeing how he is fairly new to parenting and presumably dropping babies or taking them to the garbage dump are not actual issues. We aren't talking about his actual parenting experiences yet and I can hardly wait until they happen if he doesn't suicide by mod.
'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.
  #853  
Old 05-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 480
You dipshits keep engaging him.
  #854  
Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Click on the arrow thingy next to HD's name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
1. Click on the little blue square next to iiandyiiii's name. This takes you to iiandyiiii's post.
2. Click on the little blue square next to HD's name. This takes you to HD's post.
Yeah, I know. I was just distracted by dinner and on my phone and missed it. But thanks to both of yinz.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #855  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:59 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.
I feel like covfefe is trying to say something, but for the life of me I'm not sure what it is.
  #856  
Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
You dipshits keep engaging him.
Me, two days ago: https://media.giphy.com/media/3F9EMmTdQ1INq/giphy.gif
  #857  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
You dipshits keep engaging him.
.

Loathsome as he is. Tempting as it is to simply ignore his creeping obsequious support of authoritarianism. Futile as it is to try to change his support for fascist policies. It would be far worse to allow his vile ideology and disingenuous arguments to go unchallenged. Even in this tiny forum, poison like his spreads when it is left unopposed.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #858  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
.

Loathsome as he is. Tempting as it is to simply ignore his creeping obsequious support of authoritarianism. Futile as it is to try to change his support for fascist policies. It would be far worse to allow his vile ideology and disingenuous arguments to go unchallenged. Even in this tiny forum, poison like his spreads when it is left unopposed.
The correct opposition involves a banhammer.
  #859  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
The correct opposition involves a banhammer.
We ought not be so quick to ban speech we don't like. Unless it crosses extreme lines of actively promoting hate & violence, it should be held to scrutiny and exposed to ridicule.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #860  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
We ought not be so quick to ban speech we don't like. Unless it crosses extreme lines of actively promoting hate & violence, it should be held to scrutiny and exposed to ridicule.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with "speech we don't like", and you damn well know it. The man is a disruptive and dishonest troll, and we are under no ethical or moral obligation to watch him do his best to disrupt conversations.
  #861  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:22 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
This has nothing whatsoever to do with "speech we don't like", and you damn well know it. The man is a disruptive and dishonest troll, and we are under no ethical or moral obligation to watch him do his best to disrupt conversations.
True, but he does posses the curious ability to synthesize and express some of the most vile right wing ideology while presenting it with the thinnest of veneers of civil discourse and legitimate argument. I'm not sure how much of it is innate and how much is pure trolling, but he's got the banality of evil pretty much nailed down, don't you think?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #862  
Old 05-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
True, but he does posses the curious ability to synthesize and express some of the most vile right wing ideology while presenting it with the thinnest of veneers of civil discourse and legitimate argument. I'm not sure how much of it is innate and how much is pure trolling, but he's got the banality of evil pretty much nailed down, don't you think?
No. He's just a troll.
  #863  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
We ought not be so quick to ban speech we don't like. Unless it crosses extreme lines of actively promoting hate & violence, it should be held to scrutiny and exposed to ridicule.
There's no ignorance to correct - just a malicious, nasty troll.
__________________
"I think if Mrs May actually went and said that there will be a no deal Brexit, there will be a hard border in Ireland, troops are already on the way, we will be dynamiting and flooding the Chunnel this evening and the Royal Navy is patrolling the channel that would be 110 times better than what is happening now." -AK84
  #864  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Unless it crosses extreme lines of actively promoting hate & violence
You mean like defending Timothy McVeigh?
  #865  
Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 49,295
Here, he gets called on bullshitting, but lacks the integrity to admit it. "Cites, you say? You wouldn't be worth the trouble even if I weren't making this shit up."
  #866  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,182
I don't engage with him anymore. Not worth the trouble nor do I want to incur the wrath of one of the moderators.
  #867  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:43 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Reading between the lines, HD is rooting for war with Iran: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...4#post21639784

Of course, he's too much of a coward to actually volunteer in such circumstances. But not surprising to see him apparently rooting for death and destruction once again.
  #868  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,375
Guys. I've been tempted from time to time to tell Ditka exactly what I think of him.

Except there's no point. He's an inhuman sack of shit. Therefore, telling him that he's an inhuman sack of shit won't do any good. A normal human being, sure. We have plenty of dolts here, and correcting them is worthwhile. But I never feel tempted to blast the dolts, because they're just dolts.

Ditka is different. He's not worth engaging, because he's not a human being. He's not offering his dumb opinions because he wants to discuss things, he's a pure troll who's hobby is making this message board worse.

It could be worthwhile to post corrections to his lies, but not in the context of engaging him. Correct the misinformation without addressing him. You might get upset about the crap he posts, but I guarantee you that he never once gets upset about the things other people say about him. Your opinions are meaningless to him, because, again, he's an inhuman sack of shit. If he were just an asshole you could call him on being an asshole, and maybe he'd listen or maybe he wouldn't. But you aren't going to hurt his feelings, like a normal person would, because he doesn't care one bit about human beings.
  #869  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM
CaptMurdock's Avatar
CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Guys. I've been tempted from time to time to tell Ditka exactly what I think of him.

Except there's no point. He's an inhuman sack of shit. Therefore, telling him that he's an inhuman sack of shit won't do any good. A normal human being, sure. We have plenty of dolts here, and correcting them is worthwhile. But I never feel tempted to blast the dolts, because they're just dolts.

Ditka is different. He's not worth engaging, because he's not a human being. He's not offering his dumb opinions because he wants to discuss things, he's a pure troll who's hobby is making this message board worse.

It could be worthwhile to post corrections to his lies, but not in the context of engaging him. Correct the misinformation without addressing him. You might get upset about the crap he posts, but I guarantee you that he never once gets upset about the things other people say about him. Your opinions are meaningless to him, because, again, he's an inhuman sack of shit. If he were just an asshole you could call him on being an asshole, and maybe he'd listen or maybe he wouldn't. But you aren't going to hurt his feelings, like a normal person would, because he doesn't care one bit about human beings.
I think this is the correct alternative to either engaging him directly or putting him on Ignore. What on Twitter is called "side-tweeting," IIRC. Basically responding to disinformation on threads without actually replying to the author and thereby getting dragged into his vitriol.

IOW, Ditka posts something you know to be wrong: don't reply, don't quote him, just post the actual facts in a new post on the thread.
__________________
____________________________
Coin-operated self-destruct...not one of my better ideas.
-- Planckton (Spongebob Squarepants)
  #870  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:30 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
I've used that precise strategy a handful of times -- correcting incorrect, bigoted, or otherwise stupid bullshit from Ditka without quoting him or otherwise indicating that I'm actually responding to his posts. He almost always responds with more bullshit or nitpickery, and I usually manage to ignore him, unless it's with another unquoted correction.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-13-2019 at 01:30 PM.
  #871  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:34 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,345
This is a guy who responded to a link with an article title that says "Socially Liberal, Fiscally conservative voters supported Trump in 2016" by asking the person who posted it, "So who do you think SL/FC voters preferred in 2016?"

So... yeah. Don't address him.
  #872  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:53 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I've used that precise strategy a handful of times -- correcting incorrect, bigoted, or otherwise stupid bullshit from Ditka without quoting him or otherwise indicating that I'm actually responding to his posts. He almost always responds with more bullshit or nitpickery, and I usually manage to ignore him, unless it's with another unquoted correction.
Just did that myself. I quoted him on something that he said that he didn't say. It was black and freaking white. He just nitpicked and danced around it. Blaming me of course.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #873  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,245

I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread?


I do this with the bullshit he posts about Mormonism. He’s a Mormon so he posts deliberate misinformation about it to make it seem less creepy. I simply post the correct info.

It’s a win-win. I don’t have to engage with him and the Dope gets to see what a great representative of “the Church” he is. Every member is a missionary, as they say.

Last edited by TokyoBayer; 05-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.
  #874  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,197
I once accidentally called him HurricanDickhead in a MPSIMS thread and didn't even get a warning. I hope that really pissed him off...he likes crying to the mods over every perceived infraction.
  #875  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,139
Two years ago, I requested that a warning against HurricaneDitka be rescinded. And that request was granted. I apologize to Dopers for this — he'd be a step closer to BANNING had I known then what I know now.

Since then I think he's whined to the Mods twice to get me Warned. I've also been Warned just for mimicking his "not entirely unreasonable."
  #876  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I once accidentally called him HurricanDickhead in a MPSIMS thread and didn't even get a warning. I hope that really pissed him off...he likes crying to the mods over every perceived infraction.
I called him Dickta in a thread and got the warning. Richly deserved, but still... sometimes shit just happens, ya' know?
  #877  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Two years ago, I requested that a warning against HurricaneDitka be rescinded. And that request was granted. I apologize to Dopers for this — he'd be a step closer to BANNING had I known then what I know now.

No, he probably wouldn't, sadly.
  #878  
Old 05-14-2019, 05:29 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Ditka all but admits that he's a gutless coward in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=875473

I assert (not in response to any particular post) that any young and healthy person who advocates for a war that they aren't willing to fight in is a coward.

Ditka responds:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
So did you oppose the airborne assault on Osama bin Laden's compound in Pakistan?
I break my rule and respond:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I was neither consulted nor informed beforehand. Had I been, I would have gladly volunteered, not that the Navy could have used any of my skills in that instance.

What about you? Do you plan to volunteer to serve if Trump gets us into war with Venezuela or Iran?
Crickets. At least for this question -- he responds to other posts (tying himself in knots to avoid admitting to cowardice), and in other threads... but somehow not this one. Heh.

As I said in that thread, his refusal to respond is kind of a response in itself. What a gutless, misogynistic coward.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
  #879  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Ha! Coward HD's answer is basically "I can be a coward if I want to and you SJWs can't stop me!": http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...6#post21642776

Still didn't actually answer my question (though it's clear we can consider it answered), but obviously he's far too cowardly to admit his cowardice.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 07:13 PM.
  #880  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Ha! Coward HD's answer is basically "I can be a coward if I want to and you SJWs can't stop me!": http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...6#post21642776

Still didn't actually answer my question (though it's clear we can consider it answered), but obviously he's far too cowardly to admit his cowardice.
Wow, that's a really bullshit response, even for him. Where did the reference to SJWs come from? I guess it's some thin line to some bizarre view that SJWs insist that you can only comment if you've walked in someone's shoes? More like he was cornered and lashing out, I think.
  #881  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM
SmellMyWort is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,005
HD opened a thread on Friday about some dumb video he watched online and so far it's gotten a whopping 0 replies. Why, because he's a wanker and no one likes him!

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=875702
  #882  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,811
He seems to have some kind of weird hard on for New Zealand since the massacre. That thread is probably related to his fetish somehow.
  #883  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Ditka all but admits that he's a gutless coward in this thread: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=875473

I assert (not in response to any particular post) that any young and healthy person who advocates for a war that they aren't willing to fight in is a coward.

Ditka responds:

I break my rule and respond:

Crickets. At least for this question -- he responds to other posts (tying himself in knots to avoid admitting to cowardice), and in other threads... but somehow not this one. Heh.

As I said in that thread, his refusal to respond is kind of a response in itself. What a gutless, misogynistic coward.
I know that this old, but I'm confused here. What difference does Ditka's bravery or cowardice make? The war is either a good idea or it isn't. If it is we have a professional army capable of waging it. This isn't a desperate siege where every able bodied adult must take arms and rush to the wall.

If the war is a bad idea (it is) and Ditka stormed into the recruitment office demanding he be sent to the front lines, would that make it a good idea?

If the war is a good idea (it isn't) and Ditka was crying that he's too young to die, that they should send someone else, would that make it a bad idea?

No and no. So what difference does his attitude make? Why do you care so much about him. Honestly, reading that thread I got the feeling he was enjoying himself making you dance to his tune.
  #884  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:46 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
I know that this old, but I'm confused here. What difference does Ditka's bravery or cowardice make? The war is either a good idea or it isn't. If it is we have a professional army capable of waging it. This isn't a desperate siege where every able bodied adult must take arms and rush to the wall.



If the war is a bad idea (it is) and Ditka stormed into the recruitment office demanding he be sent to the front lines, would that make it a good idea?



If the war is a good idea (it isn't) and Ditka was crying that he's too young to die, that they should send someone else, would that make it a bad idea?



No and no. So what difference does his attitude make? Why do you care so much about him. Honestly, reading that thread I got the feeling he was enjoying himself making you dance to his tune.
It doesn't matter at all, except that I enjoy pointing out the cowardice of chicken hawks. This is the Pit - nothing in here makes any difference!
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #885  
Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
He seems to have some kind of weird hard on for New Zealand since the massacre. That thread is probably related to his fetish somehow.
I believe the point is supposed to be that New Zealand police officers are jackbooted thugs seeking to speak to people, unlike the nice US cops who only seek to shoot them. The problem with New Zealand is that they're danged libruls who enacted stronger gun control, and furthermore, who seem to have such a responsive legislative system that they enacted in a couple of weeks what the US has been unable to do in a century. They're a quiet peace-loving country who have taken steps to make sure they stay that way. No wonder Ditka hates them with a passion!
  #886  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:46 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,811
Hey, you must've clicked his link!
  #887  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
HD opened a thread on Friday about some dumb video he watched online and so far it's gotten a whopping 0 replies. Why, because he's a wanker and no one likes him!

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=875702
That's just cold, man.
  #888  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,345
It deserves to die the true death.
  #889  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
I know that this old, but I'm confused here. What difference does Ditka's bravery or cowardice make? The war is either a good idea or it isn't. If it is we have a professional army capable of waging it. This isn't a desperate siege where every able bodied adult must take arms and rush to the wall.

If the war is a bad idea (it is) and Ditka stormed into the recruitment office demanding he be sent to the front lines, would that make it a good idea?

If the war is a good idea (it isn't) and Ditka was crying that he's too young to die, that they should send someone else, would that make it a bad idea?

No and no. So what difference does his attitude make? Why do you care so much about him. Honestly, reading that thread I got the feeling he was enjoying himself making you dance to his tune.
True, which is why he's a troll.

However, to your question about why his "courage" matters, HD has taken the position that a civil war between conneds and libs would not be the worst thing, that the conneds would win because they have more guns... and yet a "man" advocating for the outright slaughter of his fellow citizens is too scared to come here and be yelled at.
  #890  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,245
HurricaneDitka is probably from Hurricane, Utah (note the pronunciation, /ˈhɜːrɪkən/) a town which became a suburb of St. George as the latter expanded. My father was from the same sort of small Mormon town in central Utah. We would visit relatives and you get the same sort of asshole conservatives who are racists.

Here is recent news about Hurricane.
Quote:
HURRICANE, Utah — A school district is disciplining Hurricane High School students who created and spread around their high school a graphic, racist Snapchat picture.

Washington County School District responded with “disgust and sadness” to the photo, which involved students and non-student adults, according to the district’s statement.
“No level of discipline can repair the hate, bigotry and ugliness portrayed in that one picture,” the statement read.

The photo shows a person with a Ku Klux Klan-like white mask over his head, standing in front of a Confederate flag, holding two males with black paint on their faces by the back of their shirts as they played dead. The caption implied that the individual had been hunting black people and had “fill[ed] [his] tags.”
  #891  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
HurricaneDitka is probably from Hurricane, Utah (note the pronunciation, /hrkn/) a town which became a suburb of St. George as the latter expanded. My father was from the same sort of small Mormon town in central Utah. We would visit relatives and you get the same sort of asshole conservatives who are racists.



Here is recent news about Hurricane.
I'm pretty sure his name comes from an SNL sketch.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #892  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 AM
Manda JO is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
True, which is why he's a troll.

However, to your question about why his "courage" matters, HD has taken the position that a civil war between conneds and libs would not be the worst thing, that the conneds would win because they have more guns... and yet a "man" advocating for the outright slaughter of his fellow citizens is too scared to come here and be yelled at.
It does matter. The reason is that there is a certain kind of person who almost makes a fetish about "hard choices" as a sign of manly leadership. They dismiss anyone who raises humanitarian concerns as weak-willed, deluded, feminine, unwilling to face hard facts. But while they are all about hard choices, they never seem to end up being the person whose going to pay the price: they are always all about how someone else is just going to have to take a hit for the team, but not themselves. Somehow, the logic never works out that way. So pointing out that they are willing to pay in other people's lives but not their own is showing that they don't think the cause is worth a life, when the life is "real"; they are just wiling to trade away the lives of others because it isn't real to them.
  #893  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
It does matter. The reason is that there is a certain kind of person who almost makes a fetish about "hard choices" as a sign of manly leadership. They dismiss anyone who raises humanitarian concerns as weak-willed, deluded, feminine, unwilling to face hard facts. But while they are all about hard choices, they never seem to end up being the person whose going to pay the price: they are always all about how someone else is just going to have to take a hit for the team, but not themselves. Somehow, the logic never works out that way. So pointing out that they are willing to pay in other people's lives but not their own is showing that they don't think the cause is worth a life, when the life is "real"; they are just wiling to trade away the lives of others because it isn't real to them.
Exactly. And words like "coward" and "gutless" are aimed straight at this hypocrisy, using the same sort of language they use to advocate for violence. It's meant to be harsh -- and sometimes being harsh is appropriate.
  #894  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It doesn't matter at all, except that I enjoy pointing out the cowardice of chicken hawks. This is the Pit - nothing in here makes any difference!
First, you were arguing with him in the Iran war thread, not just in this pit thread.

But more importantly, it's just a bizarre argument. I'm generally anti-war (Though I thought Desert Storm was at least reasonable) but there is one thing I unequivocally support: Fighting fires. I think fire fighting is necessary and I support the brave people who fight them. But I am not a fire fighter and have never been. Somehow I don't think that makes me a coward. Nor do I think it makes the tens of millions of Americans who are not fire fighters cowards either.

Again, we have a professional military. We should use it judiciously and rarely, but if it comes to it that we need to fight, it doesn't make me a coward to say so, even if I'm not serving.
  #895  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
But more importantly, it's just a bizarre argument. I'm generally anti-war (Though I thought Desert Storm was at least reasonable) but there is one thing I unequivocally support: Fighting fires. I think fire fighting is necessary and I support the brave people who fight them. But I am not a fire fighter and have never been. Somehow I don't think that makes me a coward. Nor do I think it makes the tens of millions of Americans who are not fire fighters cowards either.
I don't either. This doesn't contradict anything I've said. I've only been criticizing those who advocate for dumb wars. Not firefighting or anything else aside from wars.

Quote:
Again, we have a professional military. We should use it judiciously and rarely, but if it comes to it that we need to fight, it doesn't make me a coward to say so, even if I'm not serving.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. And my criticism is not about any "need to fight" -- it's really about those who advocate for the kind of dumb and unnecessary military actions that we've gotten into the last couple of decades (and before). We didn't need to fight in Iraq in 2003, for certain. Nor many of the little operations before and since.

But if you really want to discuss this in detail, I recommend you take it to the GD thread I started.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.
  #896  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,496
I missed that thread, but looking at it I see people are making the same points I did, so I don't need to repeat myself there.
__________________
"The Sex Pistols were a boy band created to sell clothes. If you want punk, listen to Crass."--seen on fb
  #897  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,530
Warned for accusing me of lying: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=518

And I've been a good boy and not responded to him the entire thread.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-21-2019 at 05:56 PM.
  #898  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Superdude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
First, you were arguing with him in the Iran war thread, not just in this pit thread.



But more importantly, it's just a bizarre argument. I'm generally anti-war (Though I thought Desert Storm was at least reasonable) but there is one thing I unequivocally support: Fighting fires. I think fire fighting is necessary and I support the brave people who fight them. But I am not a fire fighter and have never been. Somehow I don't think that makes me a coward. Nor do I think it makes the tens of millions of Americans who are not fire fighters cowards either.



Again, we have a professional military. We should use it judiciously and rarely, but if it comes to it that we need to fight, it doesn't make me a coward to say so, even if I'm not serving.
As the son - and grandson - of firefighters, I appreciate the sentiment directed at those like them.
__________________
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.
  #899  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm largely indifferent to if he stays or goes, but in general I think it's going to be difficult to maintain a community that wants to foster robust public debate if many of its members adopt his "shun, deplatform, ignore" strategy. YMMV.
It's mostly just you, dude. Like, step one in improving the discussions here: get rid of this asshole.
  #900  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Warned for accusing me of lying: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=518

And I've been a good boy and not responded to him the entire thread.
I did (respond to him) and my apologies to all for my temporary weakness. I guess I do it for basically the same reason it's sometimes interesting to respond logically to a fairly dumb computer program that was built as a half-assed experiment to engage in the Turing test. There is some minor level of curiosity, during a boring moment, about how the dumb thing will respond. Of course it's invariably disappointing because neither primitive implementations of simplistic AI nor lunatic ideologues respond to logic.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017